GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-22, 11:53 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob6656
I had mine installed last week and I do love it. I have noticed, though, that when I receive a text, the voice is really quiet. The navigation voice is perfect, but the text volume is really low. I have tried going into the settings and adjusted all the volumes to the max (as per Beat Sonic customer service) but it has not corrected the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? (I have an android phone, by the way.)
Check how it is connected when you have a regular call, as the best sound quality is to use GX BT connection, the CarPlay for voice calls have very low volume compared to normal BT. Maybe text are using same connection, just a guess.
Old 11-26-22, 12:52 PM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the input!
Old 12-31-22, 09:33 PM
RobZ13
9th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beatsonic CarPlay Installation

Hi all,

Might be a stretch, but I just bought the CarPlay unit from Beatsonic for my 2020 GX460 and having trouble finding someone to install it. Don’t really wanna do it myself and looking for someone in CT…asked a few places and most won’t touch an item they don’t sell or are unfamiliar with. Eric from Beatsonic sent me a place in Long Island that is a “preferred installer”, but looking for someone closer. Anyone know of a place/person who knows how to?? Much appreciated!!
Old 01-09-23, 11:07 AM
Jman120
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long term review

Hi guys,

I bought the Beatsonic carplay kit for my 2018 GX right when they released it. I was excited to be modernizing the infotainment system of this dated but dependable rig. As I was testing the system before I out everything back together, I noticed the system gave me a black screen about 50% of the time when I would hit the Nav button to get to the beatsonic interface.

I left the system in to while waiting for a new firmware from Eric. On one of the occasions when I was using carplay, if i press any of the buttons on the dash, whether it be climate, audio, home etc, there was a possibility that it could go to the black screen. Even if I put the car in reverse and cameras comes up, after putting it back into Park or drive the black screen could show up.

After trying firmware after firmware and blowing a fusing to the screen I decided to give up and returned the system and decidrd to live with the dated infotainment system of a car I otherwise enjoy owning.

Fast forward to now, beatsonic offers wireless carplay and I am contemplating if I should give it another shot, hoping they ironed out the issues I was having. Of course I am hesitant tho with it not only being $749 but also just thinking about having to take the dash apart again. I know with these aftermarket systems its not going to be 100% perfect but it would really suck having to spend all that $ to constantly getting a black screen or having it freeze.

My question is for those that have the system installed, specifically the wireless version, how has it held up for you guys? Do you guys get the black screen I mentioned, does the system freeze, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don’t need Carplay but it’s definitely nice to have, especially for a rig thats supposed to be a luxury vehicle.

PS Beatsonic is the only system I am considering

Last edited by Jman120; 01-09-23 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-09-23, 11:58 AM
bob58
Driver

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jman120
Hi guys,

I bought the Beatsonic carplay kit for my 2018 GX right when they released it. I was excited to be modernizing the infotainment system of this dated but dependable rig. As I was testing the system before I out everything back together, I noticed the system gave me a black screen about 50% of the time when I would hit the Nav button to get to the beatsonic interface.

I left the system in to while waiting for a new firmware from Eric. On one of the occasions when I was using carplay, if i press any of the buttons on the dash, whether it be climate, audio, home etc, there was a possibility that it could go to the black screen. Even if I put the car in reverse and cameras comes up, after putting it back into Park or drive the black screen could show up.

After trying firmware after firmware and blowing a fusing to the screen I decided to give up and returned the system and decidrd to live with the dated infotainment system of a car I otherwise enjoy owning.

Fast forward to now, beatsonic offers wireless carplay and I am contemplating if I should give it another shot, hoping they ironed out the issues I was having. Of course I am hesitant tho with it not only being $749 but also just thinking about having to take the dash apart again. I know with these aftermarket systems its not going to be 100% perfect but it would really suck having to spend all that $ to constantly getting a black screen or having it freeze.

My question is for those that have the system installed, specifically the wireless version, how has it held up for you guys? Do you guys get the black screen I mentioned, does the system freeze, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don’t need Carplay but it’s definitely nice to have, especially for a rig thats supposed to be a luxury vehicle.

PS Beatsonic is the only system I am considering
I'm at 4 months now and mine is still functioning perfectly. I have never experienced the "black screen" you've described. Every once in a while I will not have any sound from the aux source after start up because my iPhone wirelessly connected to the Beat-Sonic CarPlay unit before the LEXUS system was completely done booting up (the exact same thing often happens on the wired units if you plug your iPhone in before the system is done booting). Just like unplugging the phone and plugging it back in again fixes the wired units, turning wifi on the phone off and back on corrects the wireless units. I can't even call that a bug since it seems ridiculous to complain that the automatic wifi direct connection sometimes pairs "too fast".

I am totally satisfied with mine. I use it everyday. I would absolutely buy again.

Honestly, your previous difficulties sound like there was a bad/intermittent wire connection during installation or one of your units black boxes was faulty.
The following users liked this post:
RealMenDIY (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 12:39 PM
seann90
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine since October. I agree with everything Bob58 said. If you're having a conversation on your phone, then start the car, the transition is seems finicky. You have to change a setting on your phone for calls to auto-connect to blue tooth, otherwise audio output will go to CarPlay which sounds terrible on the end of the person you are talking to. My spotify will also once in a while out-put to blue-tooth when it should go to CarPlay. Some very minor annoyances but incredibly happy with my purchase and ease of use.
Old 01-09-23, 01:13 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had my wireless system in for a month or two, has worked flawlessly so far. Thumbs up.
RealMenDIY (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 02:41 PM
Jman120
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bob58
I'm at 4 months now and mine is still functioning perfectly. I have never experienced the "black screen" you've described. Every once in a while I will not have any sound from the aux source after start up because my iPhone wirelessly connected to the Beat-Sonic CarPlay unit before the LEXUS system was completely done booting up (the exact same thing often happens on the wired units if you plug your iPhone in before the system is done booting). Just like unplugging the phone and plugging it back in again fixes the wired units, turning wifi on the phone off and back on corrects the wireless units. I can't even call that a bug since it seems ridiculous to complain that the automatic wifi direct connection sometimes pairs "too fast".

I am totally satisfied with mine. I use it everyday. I would absolutely buy again.

Honestly, your previous difficulties sound like there was a bad/intermittent wire connection during installation or one of your units black boxes was faulty.
Thank you all for the replies.

I feel like it was more firmware than wires. Eric sent me multiple wires and black boxes to try to correct the problem to no avail. We even tried different firmwares.

I’m hoping the issue is not with my GX and if I end up getting the new version, it will be close to flawless. I can live with the minor annoyances you guys have mentioned.
Old 01-09-23, 03:40 PM
bob58
Driver

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jman120
Thank you all for the replies.

I feel like it was more firmware than wires. Eric sent me multiple wires and black boxes to try to correct the problem to no avail. We even tried different firmwares.

I’m hoping the issue is not with my GX and if I end up getting the new version, it will be close to flawless. I can live with the minor annoyances you guys have mentioned.
I'm no expert but I can't imagine how it could be your GX since your vehicle is currently functioning properly without it installed.

Look at it this way, you've already experienced just how far Eric will, personally, go to to try and make things right if there are any problems. You already have experience installing the previous unit, making the next install much easier. At this point, what do you really have to lose?
IanB2 (01-10-23)
Old 01-09-23, 04:00 PM
Jman120
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bob58
I'm no expert but I can't imagine how it could be your GX since your vehicle is currently functioning properly without it installed.

Look at it this way, you've already experienced just how far Eric will, personally, go to to try and make things right if there are any problems. You already have experience installing the previous unit, making the next install much easier. At this point, what do you really have to lose?
I would say one of the reasons I am only considering Beatsonic is because of Eric. Customer service with him is second to none. At least I know with him he is not just gonna sell me the product and call it a day, which is why i dont want to deal with the other brands.

I guess my biggest concern is just having to go through the whole process again and mess up the car. I blew out a fuse before messing with the wires. I was lucky it was just a fuse
Old 01-09-23, 04:55 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 147 Posts

Had the wired Beatsonic unit and had opportunity to upgrade to the wireless unit, works like other have described, however I find that the wireless unit keeps defaulting to CarPlay for phone calls so have to set the BT on the first call I have to GX and not CarPlay unit.
Else no regrets and will live with it as its still way better than the GX map and UI
Old 01-18-23, 05:38 AM
trychai
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GX 2020 Carplay

Why is Carplay not a OEM retrofit for the 2020 and 2021 models? I'd love to get some insight into this.
SPEC: 2020 Lexus GX Premium
Old 01-18-23, 06:20 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by trychai
Why is Carplay not a OEM retrofit for the 2020 and 2021 models? I'd love to get some insight into this.
SPEC: 2020 Lexus GX Premium
Short answer: Lexus head unit also serve as CAN control unit which communicates various ECUs for many other functions. The ECUs between 20 and 21 are largely different. Therefore there is not going to be able to do the simple OEM retrofit.
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
darkoozy (01-18-23), IanB2 (01-19-23), IanG (01-18-23)
Old 01-19-23, 01:50 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get an aftermarket solution.

Old 01-19-23, 07:07 PM
RealMenDIY
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, as of 8:00pm tonight these units are available for preorder, shipping 2/3/23. They’ve been out of stock for a while

Quick Reply: Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav