GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23, 07:11 PM
trychai
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Lexus working on an OEM retrofit for the 20-21 models?
Old 01-29-23, 07:41 PM
bob58
Driver

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

No. Lexus is not now working on a OEM retrofit for pre-2022 GX460s, nor will they ever. The LEX8 system in the 2021 is the exact same system from the 2014 model year (before CarPlay was first fielded).

The 2022 system is totally different and buying one or later is the only way to have OEM CarPlay in a GX460.

The Beat-Sonic CarPlay integration is first rate and, as a daily user, I highly recommend it.
The following 4 users liked this post by bob58:
IanB2 (03-01-24), IanG (01-30-23), RealMenDIY (01-30-23), tntcandy (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 11:12 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bob58
No. Lexus is not now working on a OEM retrofit for pre-2022 GX460s, nor will they ever. The LEX8 system in the 2021 is the exact same system from the 2014 model year (before CarPlay was first fielded).

The 2022 system is totally different and buying one or later is the only way to have OEM CarPlay in a GX460.

The Beat-Sonic CarPlay integration is first rate and, as a daily user, I highly recommend it.
Fully agree, the BeatSonic unit is simple and easy to use
Old 01-31-23, 06:21 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Was the dip switch in the same position as all the other switches, or was it the only one switched? Trying to figure out what position it should be in.
Old 01-31-23, 06:24 PM
29er
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tk8lm6
  • BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP THE DIP SWITCHES IN THE CORRECT POSITION. When I first installed but before I did the final button up, I tested and it was not working.. When I pushed the NAV button which is supposed to toggle between native system and the Android/CarPlay, nothing happened. Luckily the first thing I checked was the dip switches. Switch 1 was out of position. I corected it and put a piece of electrical tape over it to protect it.
Was the dip switch in the same position as all the other switches, or was it the only one switched? Trying to figure out what position it should be in.
Old 02-01-23, 05:25 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed the wireless version on my 2020 GX, however, I'm having hard time making it work wirelessly on Android Auto. I see the device in my bluetooth but it's just keeps saying pairing. I also can see the device if I try to connect to it via WiFi but it's asking for a password to connect.

Connecting via cable works great but would prefer to connect it via wireless. I feel like my AA is also showing the old version of AA interface, not the Cool walk version. I'm might have to plug in my S22 (currently using Pixel 6) to see if shows it differently

Also, for people who has a hacked Spotify (non-premium without ads), you're going to need to download the non-hacked version from Google Play and pay the membership to make it work properly, which is fine for me.

TL;DR: Cable connections works great, wireless currently not working & don't be cheap on spotify.

Last edited by eNx; 02-01-23 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 12:32 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Finally got around to installing the Carplay unit. Overall very happy, sound quality is exactly the same as OEM, and wireless portion pairs fairly quickly. Screen resolution is much better in person than in pictures I’ve seen, imo.

I ended up routing the usb cable through the center console using a rubber grommet. I think this is the cleanest option, but what I didn’t think about is that it makes the center console tough to close when the wire is sticking out 😆. I’ll hardly ever use the wired option, if ever, so no big deal anyway.

Obligatory pics:

The following users liked this post:
RealMenDIY (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 05:21 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eNx
I installed the wireless version on my 2020 GX, however, I'm having hard time making it work wirelessly on Android Auto. I see the device in my bluetooth but it's just keeps saying pairing. I also can see the device if I try to connect to it via WiFi but it's asking for a password to connect.

Connecting via cable works great but would prefer to connect it via wireless. I feel like my AA is also showing the old version of AA interface, not the Cool walk version. I'm might have to plug in my S22 (currently using Pixel 6) to see if shows it differently

Also, for people who has a hacked Spotify (non-premium without ads), you're going to need to download the non-hacked version from Google Play and pay the membership to make it work properly, which is fine for me.

TL;DR: Cable connections works great, wireless currently not working & don't be cheap on spotify.
Update: Solved the wireless Android Auto from my Pixel 6 Pro

When I tested my Galaxy S22 Ultra, it worked just fine. The only difference was that my S22 was never used to connect to my GX, pre BeatSonic. I removed my Pixel 6 Pro from the Bluetooth list of my GX and also made my Pixel forget my GX. Then after power cycling the unit and restarting my phone, I was able to connect to BeatSonic wirelessly. I think I did another power cycling on the head unit. Now, it works like a charm. takes about 10-20sec to connect, from starting the car so pretty fast. So far, pretty satisfied with this.

Now, on to figuring out where to add a Qi charging pad.
Old 02-06-23, 06:52 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eNx
Update: Solved the wireless Android Auto from my Pixel 6 Pro

When I tested my Galaxy S22 Ultra, it worked just fine. The only difference was that my S22 was never used to connect to my GX, pre BeatSonic. I removed my Pixel 6 Pro from the Bluetooth list of my GX and also made my Pixel forget my GX. Then after power cycling the unit and restarting my phone, I was able to connect to BeatSonic wirelessly. I think I did another power cycling on the head unit. Now, it works like a charm. takes about 10-20sec to connect, from starting the car so pretty fast. So far, pretty satisfied with this.

Now, on to figuring out where to add a Qi charging pad.
How is your phone call quality with AA? with CarPlay it is horrible, so have to have phone connected with BT for phone calls
Old 02-06-23, 08:13 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by tntcandy
How is your phone call quality with AA? with CarPlay it is horrible, so have to have phone connected with BT for phone calls
That's the only solution. Eric from Beatsonic even says that you need to have calls routed to the truck's bluetooth and not Carplay
Old 02-06-23, 08:36 AM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
That's the only solution. Eric from Beatsonic even says that you need to have calls routed to the truck's bluetooth and not Carplay
How do you make calls go to one and not the other? I'm only a little tech-savvy... emphasis on the little.
Old 02-06-23, 08:47 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
How do you make calls go to one and not the other? I'm only a little tech-savvy... emphasis on the little.
Hah - blind leading the blind here. I’m only really familiar with iPhones
Old 02-06-23, 10:34 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Yep, I knew that, but you mentioned that you removed the BT connection, I. read that as you only used the wireless connection to the BeatSonic unit, hence my question.

But your reply sound like you use it same way as the rest of us, BT for phone calls and wireless for the AA or CP
Old 02-06-23, 10:37 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
For me my iPhone always defaults to the BestSonic CP, so when I start a call, I press the BT icon on the phone and switch connection from CarPlay to GX

Eric from BeatSonic recommends a setting under BT on teh phone to be Auto, however my phone keep defaulting to CarPlay

Last edited by tntcandy; 02-06-23 at 06:07 PM.
IanB2 (02-07-23)
Old 02-10-23, 05:56 AM
Jman120
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worth the $

Hey guys I did go ahead and give beatsonic a try again. I’ve had the unit installed for a week now. Install was much easier for me this time as I’ve taken the previous kit in and out. On Eric’s videos he mentions to zip tie the cables to the left so the door for center console can close, make sure you do this because it really will not stay open. I forgot this step and had to take the center console back out afterwards.

I’ve got to say I’m impressed. Everything works exactly as it should and graphics are very crisp and clear, much better than what I remember. I don’t notice any of the minor issues some of you guys mentioned, like maps going to nights when going under a bridge and then not going back into day mode.

I do noticed two things. One, when changing music, whether using the screen or steering wheel i noticed that there is a second or two delay before the new song comes up, even tho the screen shows the title of that song already. Definitely not a big deal. Two, sometimes I notice the screen does a quick flash/flicker when I’m in carplay and I have to switch or to climate or something else. It’s most noticeable when I put the car into reverse and then back into Park or Drive. For this I do wonder if I have a loose cable or its just how the system is. Anyone else notice this?

Overall I am really happy with my purchase and I would definitely make the purchase again. $750 is a lot of $ but it’s totally worth it.

Last edited by Jman120; 02-10-23 at 06:10 AM.
RealMenDIY (02-17-23)

Quick Reply: Beat-Sonic LGVIF-CB4W Wireless S-Connect Interface for 2010-2021 Lexus GX 460 w/nav