GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone upgrade from 2018-19,etc to 2022?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 01:06 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gfcipriani
I had a 2015 LX570, which I loved. But hated the even worse fuel economy and small fuel tank. The 2022 GX is a much better compromise. RE: 2018-2019 to 2022-2023, Apple Car Play is great to have now have in these vehicles. I believe it allows the technology, which Toyota waits 10+ years before updating, to actually feel more relevant over that long period of time. In other words, you will always have the benefits of phone/airplay app updates, new features, etc. enabled by apple car play (and the google equivalent.) AND, the climate control tactile buttons on the center stack are a wonderful update over menu/screen navigated options. I am a huge fan of the 2022+ tech updates. Is it enough to justify $15k? Not by itself, but with the other considerations you mention - tires, brakes, longer warranty. Yes, it would be for me.
Thank you for that. The whole climate control buried in the menus is one of a few annoying things about my 2019. One other thing-- there is no tire pressure monitor on the 2019 which is inconvenient. None of the upgrades since 2019 are critical but when taken together (and there are a number) it seems like it would make owning the vehicle more pleasant and feel more contemporary.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWF1:
brutus27 (09-15-22), SEELEXUS (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 01:37 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

If it is comparable grade - I mean a 2019 Prem and 2023 Prem - with similar options then I would do it in a heartbeat. I agree will all the points you listed out. You loose about $3000-$5000 per year for new car depreciation so $15K for 4 years of usages and all of these upgrades = Just do it.
Old 09-15-22, 02:22 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

If you think used car prices are going to drop in the next year or two from the current highs we are seeing, and you don't think new GX prices will drop over the same time period much below what you can get the '23 for now, then maybe it is a way to lock in the high used car price you are being offered for your GX? Personally I am not a fan of the real estate given to the touch pad near the shifter, nor do I care for the seemingly confusing placement of the stereo controls vs the DAC|H/L **** (shouldn't the stereo **** be on top since they are likely to be used so much more often?) and I like the older school steering wheel.
Old 09-15-22, 02:58 PM
DWF1
Rookie

Originally Posted by CFAI
If you think used car prices are going to drop in the next year or two from the current highs we are seeing, and you don't think new GX prices will drop over the same time period much below what you can get the '23 for now, then maybe it is a way to lock in the high used car price you are being offered for your GX? Personally I am not a fan of the real estate given to the touch pad near the shifter, nor do I care for the seemingly confusing placement of the stereo controls vs the DAC|H/L **** (shouldn't the stereo **** be on top since they are likely to be used so much more often?) and I like the older school steering wheel.
There are some interior things I do like about my 2019 and not sure of the changes on the new version. I actually like the burled wood trim on the shifter, steering wheel and cup holder cover (against my black interior) compared to the new gray Sapel wood and aluminum shifter. I'm a little concerned that if I go with black interior again that the gray/black wood might be too one dimensional and not enough contrast. I also like the four wheel drive toggles on the console better than the buttons on the dash. It looks like they are using real aluminum for the dash trim now vs painted plastic on mine--which would be nice.
Old 09-15-22, 03:09 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Looks like same cheap painted plastic to me
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5f1a2473e.jpeg
Old 09-15-22, 07:58 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

@DWF1 I have a 2023 Luxury headed my way and I am pretty excited about it. I've been wanting to get a GX since 2018 but refused to buy a vehicle (even back since 2018) without android auto/apple car play. I bought a 2016 Kia Sorrento (in 2015) and since then I've been adamant to having phone integration. I drove a vehicle recently for 3 weeks without car play integration and I can confirm I am glad I never bought the old GX. Now that the GX was updated in 2022, the choice to get one couldn't have been any easier.

From my point of view, You have 3 options:
1. Keep your vehicle, save 15k.
  • This is your financial sensitive choice. If you want to select the most logical option, this is the one period.
  • If I had owned an older GX myself (as I said above I wouldn't) but let's say I had inherited one or something, I would probably go for this option.
  • A 2019 is mechanically identical to the ones sold now. Same capability, same engine, same transmission. Literally the same vehicle with slightly different skin and updated electronics.
  • You can spend some money and get apple car play retrofitted using beatsonic adapters. Same for the exterior. Lots of people have retrofitted the exterior parts. It will cost money, but definitely less than 15k.
  • You've already paid the biggest depreciation hit.
2. Upgrade now to a 2022/2023
  • This is your emotional choice.
  • Not as good financial choice. You will quickly lose that 15K in depreciation.
  • If you're financing it will cost you more than 15k long term. Also your APR in 2019 is probably lower than what you can get today.
  • You do get a refreshed warranty. 6Yr/70k Miles.
  • Updated interior. Bring your user experience to this decade.
  • Get the last GX with a V8. The prices for last model year tundras with a v8 have sky rocketed
  • I believe in 5 years you will have much better resale in 2022/2023 when compared to 2021 and below. That new infotaiment will become a valuable feature.
3. Wait for 2024 refresh
  • In my book, the worse option by far of the 3.
  • You will definitely need more than 15k to jump into a 2024. The GX is most likely going to cost more than today and you will have to pay hyped up prices the first year.
  • New engine, new transmission, new infotaiment, new electronics == less reliability. Not realistic to get brand new everything and expect the same reliability as before.
  • My humble opinion: Beauty is on the eyes of the beholder, but when comparing the 2022+ GX to the mess they did to the new LX, it does not inspire much confidence in me. I much rather get the GX than the disaster interior of the LX. It's like they ran out of ideas and started adding screens and features to make it flashy. Screens that provide no user experience improvements whatsoever.

so what should you do? If I where in your shoes, I would update the head unit or add car play with the beatsonic adapter and survive another 2~3 years until your warranty runs out. Then get a 2023 as CPO or decide if you want to buy into the 2024 bandwagon.
Old 09-15-22, 08:21 PM
CFAI
Instructor

... Or just keep it for another 10-15 more years.
The following users liked this post:
TheLastV8 (09-15-22)
Old 09-16-22, 10:44 AM
DWF1
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheLastV8
@DWF1 I have a 2023 Luxury headed my way and I am pretty excited about it. I've been wanting to get a GX since 2018 but refused to buy a vehicle (even back since 2018) without android auto/apple car play. I bought a 2016 Kia Sorrento (in 2015) and since then I've been adamant to having phone integration. I drove a vehicle recently for 3 weeks without car play integration and I can confirm I am glad I never bought the old GX. Now that the GX was updated in 2022, the choice to get one couldn't have been any easier.

From my point of view, You have 3 options:
1. Keep your vehicle, save 15k.
  • This is your financial sensitive choice. If you want to select the most logical option, this is the one period.
  • If I had owned an older GX myself (as I said above I wouldn't) but let's say I had inherited one or something, I would probably go for this option.
  • A 2019 is mechanically identical to the ones sold now. Same capability, same engine, same transmission. Literally the same vehicle with slightly different skin and updated electronics.
  • You can spend some money and get apple car play retrofitted using beatsonic adapters. Same for the exterior. Lots of people have retrofitted the exterior parts. It will cost money, but definitely less than 15k.
  • You've already paid the biggest depreciation hit.
2. Upgrade now to a 2022/2023
  • This is your emotional choice.
  • Not as good financial choice. You will quickly lose that 15K in depreciation.
  • If you're financing it will cost you more than 15k long term. Also your APR in 2019 is probably lower than what you can get today.
  • You do get a refreshed warranty. 6Yr/70k Miles.
  • Updated interior. Bring your user experience to this decade.
  • Get the last GX with a V8. The prices for last model year tundras with a v8 have sky rocketed
  • I believe in 5 years you will have much better resale in 2022/2023 when compared to 2021 and below. That new infotaiment will become a valuable feature.
3. Wait for 2024 refresh
  • In my book, the worse option by far of the 3.
  • You will definitely need more than 15k to jump into a 2024. The GX is most likely going to cost more than today and you will have to pay hyped up prices the first year.
  • New engine, new transmission, new infotaiment, new electronics == less reliability. Not realistic to get brand new everything and expect the same reliability as before.
  • My humble opinion: Beauty is on the eyes of the beholder, but when comparing the 2022+ GX to the mess they did to the new LX, it does not inspire much confidence in me. I much rather get the GX than the disaster interior of the LX. It's like they ran out of ideas and started adding screens and features to make it flashy. Screens that provide no user experience improvements whatsoever.

so what should you do? If I where in your shoes, I would update the head unit or add car play with the beatsonic adapter and survive another 2~3 years until your warranty runs out. Then get a 2023 as CPO or decide if you want to buy into the 2024 bandwagon.

Thank you for that. If money was the only consideration this is the perfect vehicle to keep and drive forever. I typically buy new and keep a vehicle for a long time. I had a Tahoe I kept for 20 years. I have a Porsche in the garage that I bought new in 2010. When I got rid of the Tahoe and got the GX it was a revelation after driving a 20 year old vehicle even with the dated tech of the GX. I'm probably going to replace vehicles more frequently going forward. I'm not financing so that is not a consideration. Also--fyi-the Lexus basic warranty is 4 years--power train is 7 years.
Old 09-16-22, 11:42 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWF1
Thank you for that. If money was the only consideration this is the perfect vehicle to keep and drive forever. I typically buy new and keep a vehicle for a long time. I had a Tahoe I kept for 20 years. I have a Porsche in the garage that I bought new in 2010. When I got rid of the Tahoe and got the GX it was a revelation after driving a 20 year old vehicle even with the dated tech of the GX. I'm probably going to replace vehicles more frequently going forward. I'm not financing so that is not a consideration. Also--fyi-the Lexus basic warranty is 4 years--power train is 7 years.
Apologies for tangent to OP, but depending on how frequently you plan on replacing, maybe that makes Lexus GX/Toyota long term reliability relatively less important in your purchase decisions? Not trying to sway you from the GX, but that could help open up the search a bit - maybe a Cayenne or something that won't have horrendous depreciation after 5 to 7 years, but replaced before too many years past the warranty?
Old 09-16-22, 01:03 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Apologies for tangent to OP, but depending on how frequently you plan on replacing, maybe that makes Lexus GX/Toyota long term reliability relatively less important in your purchase decisions? Not trying to sway you from the GX, but that could help open up the search a bit - maybe a Cayenne or something that won't have horrendous depreciation after 5 to 7 years, but replaced before too many years past the warranty?
I agree. Also leasing becomes attractive if the plan is to keep it for 2-3yrs

Originally Posted by DWF1
(48mo)4 yrs 50k miles
(72mo)6 yrs 70k miles

Lexus warranty
Old 09-16-22, 05:03 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the real answer is this —

Is OE carplay and fan controls worth $15k? Probably not.

But life is short, so if you can comfortably afford it, why not? Those features will certainly be useful.
Old 09-17-22, 07:59 AM
DirectHit
6th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded a 2021 for a 2022. It was definitely worth it to me.
gfcipriani (09-18-22)
Old 09-19-22, 10:53 AM
DWF1
Rookie

I put a deposit down on a 2023 White/black this weekend. We'll see how it goes. The dealer couldn't tell me when to expect it but might have a better idea when they receive a new allocation. All of the current allocation has deposits. They also wouldn't commit to the offer for my 2019 from a couple of weeks ago but would look at it again when the new one arrives--hopefully that is not an issue as it was a pretty decent offer.
gfcipriani (09-19-22)