GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vehicle firearm holster

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 01:47 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Vehicle firearm holster

Hi all.. looking for ideas ( location, product recommendation etc ) for installing a holster in the vehicle with easy/safe access.

Wondering if any one has such an install done in theirs ? Thanks!
Old 09-26-22, 02:38 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the center console safe, I've seen installs inside there by mounting a holster to the side of the metal safe. It's only a single bolt in the bottom to remove the safe.
Old 09-26-22, 04:12 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Hi all.. looking for ideas ( location, product recommendation etc ) for installing a holster in the vehicle with easy/safe access.

Wondering if any one has such an install done in theirs ? Thanks!
For storage or for access? For storage that’s an easy one, grab a console safe. For immediate access you could mount a small molle panel and affix a holster to it down under the dash or to the right of your foot/leg on the side of the console. Personally I just keep it on my person at all times.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 06-26-24 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
mketz747 (07-10-24), Seanzky (09-26-22)
Old 09-26-22, 04:36 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Need something for quick access. I was practicing my draw ( wear it on the strong side with in a IWB holster ) from a seated position, and it was .. well.. not what I'd want to be struggling with *if* I ever need it.. And, I'm not a fan of appendix carry. Plus, my muscle memory is trained with 4'o clock IWB holsters since I started carrying.

I occasionally drive from Dallas to Denver, and driving with it on person gets a bit uncomfortable. I never leave the firearm in my vehicle ( even when I stop for gas or restroom breaks ) so don't really need a safe.

I like the idea of mounting the holster ( perhaps even a sticky holster that's not firearm specific so it can accommodate my EDC rotations between a Glock 19 to a Sig p365 and alike.. ) but the idea of drilling in to the side of the console is a bit concerning ( should it be ? )
Old 09-26-22, 10:10 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I store mine inside my waist band. For me, it doesn't matter if it's strong side or appendix. I compete using both positions so I'm very comfortable and quick either way --much quicker appendix when driving. I've driven to Colorado Springs (I think this was my longest drive carrying?) and it didn't bother me one bit, but of course that varies with body types, etc. If (big if) at any point I feel uncomfortable, I wedge my holster inside the center console where it's quickly accessible if I need to get to it. I think I might have done that once during a long drive and I can't remember why... it wasn't discomfort.

More importantly for you, since you go to CO a lot, is to remember to switch out to 10-round magazines.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (09-27-22)
Old 09-28-22, 10:16 AM
TheBoer
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Need something for quick access. I was practicing my draw ( wear it on the strong side with in a IWB holster ) from a seated position, and it was .. well.. not what I'd want to be struggling with *if* I ever need it.. And, I'm not a fan of appendix carry. Plus, my muscle memory is trained with 4'o clock IWB holsters since I started carrying.

I occasionally drive from Dallas to Denver, and driving with it on person gets a bit uncomfortable. I never leave the firearm in my vehicle ( even when I stop for gas or restroom breaks ) so don't really need a safe.

I like the idea of mounting the holster ( perhaps even a sticky holster that's not firearm specific so it can accommodate my EDC rotations between a Glock 19 to a Sig p365 and alike.. ) but the idea of drilling in to the side of the console is a bit concerning ( should it be ? )
In that case I'd recommend this molle setup, https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VGXCC.html

Easy to install and you can affix a holster to it.
MrTorgue (09-28-22)
Old 09-28-22, 02:09 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheBoer
In that case I'd recommend this molle setup, https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VGXCC.html

Easy to install and you can affix a holster to it.
I'm very curious how people draw from their holster that's attached to something like this. How does your hand fit in there? Is the holster canted outwards, towards your leg or does the holster have offset? And is it a left-handed holster? If anyone has a video showing the draw, I'm very curious. I can't tell from the product pics. It's like the picture shows that it works "theoretically", but I wonder how much room you have between the panel and the holster.
Old 09-28-22, 03:01 PM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I's think the CONS of having a vehicle mounted holster outweigh any PROS
- going to take a lot of reps to become even mildly proficient, since it's something that must be trained in through deliberate a training activity and repeated, meaningful practice
- retention in a crash
- an emergency bailout, forgetting the blaster
- a normal exit, with thought process occupied, and forgetting the blaster

I'd want the pistol on my body and work out any kinks with dedicated training / practice.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkVII:
Seanzky (09-28-22), Vlad6525 (06-26-24)
Old 09-29-22, 11:01 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MarkVII
I's think the CONS of having a vehicle mounted holster outweigh any PROS
- going to take a lot of reps to become even mildly proficient, since it's something that must be trained in through deliberate a training activity and repeated, meaningful practice
- retention in a crash
- an emergency bailout, forgetting the blaster
- a normal exit, with thought process occupied, and forgetting the blaster

I'd want the pistol on my body and work out any kinks with dedicated training / practice.
Been looking at a few mounting options, and some are very secure. They do require drilling, and I may just go that route.

I do intend to practice my draw to develop memory muscle, for that *in case* scenario.

I've been training for a few years ( including some professional classes over the course .. ) that has, among other benefits, disciplined me enough to not forget the firearm in the vehicle ( even briefly )

Much as I'd prefer to always have it on my person during the long drives ( and I usually do, esp the sub compacts ), it does get somewhat cumbersome at times.
Old 10-01-22, 08:27 AM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it 4oclock IWB? OWB? Are you saying you completely remove it or just remove the pistol for comfort and leave holster on?
Slide to 3 or 2:30 with seatbelt repositioned wont help? I agree with thoughts on needing quick access but also wanting it on body since things going sideways is chaos, better on-body.

Something i saw was a reposition and loosen belt for travel, then a shift and tighten when getting out to walk around.
I'm not yet experienced with travel carry but OWB sounds more conducive in those instances.
Old 10-03-22, 12:09 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheNomad
Is it 4oclock IWB? OWB? Are you saying you completely remove it or just remove the pistol for comfort and leave holster on?
Slide to 3 or 2:30 with seatbelt repositioned wont help? I agree with thoughts on needing quick access but also wanting it on body since things going sideways is chaos, better on-body.

Something i saw was a reposition and loosen belt for travel, then a shift and tighten when getting out to walk around.
I'm not yet experienced with travel carry but OWB sounds more conducive in those instances.
IWB, and I'd be fine with removing it completely or just the firearm.. depending on the set up. Relocating the set up didn't work ( tried it ) for me ..

I'm liking the molle panel options available, and will probably go that route!
The following 2 users liked this post by m5rahul:
TheBoer (10-04-22), TheNomad (10-03-22)
Old 10-04-22, 10:02 PM
DirectHit
6th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Desert Does It Mmp, with a serpa holster on a quick release mount is the answer. I can remove my holster and take it with me in seconds, and it’s locked in place in a perfect position while driving.
Seanzky (10-05-22)
Old 10-05-22, 05:50 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DirectHit
Desert Does It Mmp, with a serpa holster on a quick release mount is the answer. I can remove my holster and take it with me in seconds, and it’s locked in place in a perfect position while driving.
Wow! That's actually a much better solution than the kick panel molle one. I can already tell it's a much more natural reach and draw.
Old 06-25-24, 08:37 PM
Latte1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to check this out. It's not on the console, but under the steering wheel, easy to reach & doesn't require drilling.

https://www.gumcreekcustoms.com

Last edited by Latte1; 06-25-24 at 08:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Latte1:
Motomotion (07-06-24), MrTorgue (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 06:24 AM
TGPB
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be inclined to mount it under the steering wheel with a magnetic mount. It should be out of the way and not very visible.
MrTorgue (06-26-24)