Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Rear Cargo Storage Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-22, 09:31 PM
NTXLEXUS
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rear Cargo Storage Boxes

Just curious if any of you have a dedicated storage box that you keep in your GX behind the second or third row of seats all the time. If so what size do you have and what brand? I'm thinking about getting a couple of varying sizes to keep in my GX rear cargo area. One to keep at all times to store just basic emergency items (bigger 1st aid kit, jumper cables, etc) and then one for Offroad use (air compressor, saw, hatchet, drill, tow straps,etc)

Last edited by NTXLEXUS; 12-17-22 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-18-22, 07:25 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Drawer solutions for GX460

Probably more than what you want but I'll put it out here... I don't have boxes but I do have storage drawers. I removed my 3rd row seat to have the storage drawers added. There are a couple of solutions, if you want drawers by - Goosegear, Dobsinsons, Air Down Gear Up, etc. Truckvault also has drawer solutions.

BTW - I recently saw this drawer solution by Rugged Bound Supply - looks like they are based in Houston, TX (I've not seen their product in person).

Rugged Bound Supply

Good luck.

Last edited by SEELEXUS; 12-18-22 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Updating with Houston drawer solution
Old 12-18-22, 07:39 AM
NTXLEXUS
Driver

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
Probably more than what you want but I'll put it out here... I don't have boxes but I do have storage drawers. I removed my 3rd row seat to have the storage drawers added. There are a couple of solutions, if you want drawers by - Goosegear, Dobsinsons, Air Down Gear Up, etc. Truckvault also has drawer solutions.

BTW - I recently saw this drawer solution by Rugged Bound Supply - looks like they are based in Houston, TX (I've not seen their product in person).

Rugged Bound Supply

Good luck.
Those look cool and super functional but ya they are a bit beyond what I need as we use the third row on occasion. Appreciate the insight though.
Old 12-18-22, 09:21 AM
stapletron
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NTXLEXUS
Just curious if any of you have a dedicated storage box that you keep in your GX behind the second or third row of seats all the time. If so what size do you have and what brand? I'm thinking about getting a couple of varying sizes to keep in my GX rear cargo area. One to keep at all times to store just basic emergency items (bigger 1st aid kit, jumper cables, etc) and then one for Offroad use (air compressor, saw, hatchet, drill, tow straps,etc)
I got a couple plano medium, 56 liter?, bins for a cross country move. They have enough tie down points to secure, are just tall enough for a gallon of water, just short enough to fit under the tonneau cover. I hauled them into the room when we spent the night. I now have one packed up with basic roadside emergency stuff. I don't keep it in the vehicle, but it's ready to load in.
would not fit behind 3rd row, but i would got mechanics tool bag or something similar in that case.
the Plano are not overbuilt, but fit the "good enough" use case most of the time. They're cheap, and available.
Old 12-18-22, 09:52 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Had another idea - how about something like what Stepp22gear offers? I have some of their items and it is all top quality.

Step 22 Gear
Old 12-18-22, 11:07 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

These are in the rear, all the time, no matter what. If I need to put something else and it doesn't fit because my storage tote (or whatever you want to call it) is there, too bad. It goes on the roof, hitch cargo carrier, etc. This is in the GX, always, non-negotiable. I usually have a case of water bottles there, too.

The following users liked this post:
GXNick (12-19-22)
Old 12-18-22, 01:00 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Just got back from a elk hunt that me and my BIL enjoyed in my new GX. With second row seats folded down we took two 150 quart and two 35 quart ice chest. All our gear except our rifles traveled inside the ice chest. One processed elk will fit in a 150 quart ice chest. The gear that was inside rides on top of cooler. We had plenty of space and could see out the back hatch window. Antlers can ride on roof cross bars.
Old 12-19-22, 09:36 AM
jcgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve got a medium Plano Sportsman Trunk. Fits great between the two tie-downs, and is secured with a thin ratchet strap. It’s filled with first aid kit, water, recovery gear, gloves, collapsible shovel, sleeping bag etc..

Attached Thumbnails Rear Cargo Storage Boxes-8d349768-63fd-4259-acf6-4f02366789a3.jpeg  
The following 4 users liked this post by jcgx:
GXNick (12-19-22), MrTorgue (01-06-24), stapletron (12-19-22), tntcandy (12-19-22)
Old 12-19-22, 09:51 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I like instacrate. I keep one in my trunk to throw small things/groceries/etc so they don’t roll around. I can easily fold it and get it out of the way if needed.

I believe this is specially useful in the GX given the little space behind the 3rd row. Having a regular box means you’d need to leave your box behind if you have to use the 3rd row and weren’t able to plan ahead.
Old 12-19-22, 10:16 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Have a FrontRunner hard box for the important stuff, along with a soft Truck Crate from Amazon for the everyday stuff.

Old 12-19-22, 04:34 PM
NTXLEXUS
Driver

A lot of great options mentioned so far. So after researching a bit and looking at my local hardware stores, I decided on the Ridgid Pro Gear system. I like that they are modular, stackable, lockable, and even have a waterproof gasket. My every day kit will be the smaller power tool case as its big enough to fit "emergency" needs (More on this and will add pictures when I complete my kit). Also, it will fit behind the 3rd Row Seat when up without issue.

When going on Trails I will add the larger rolling case to accommodate a portable air compressor, tow straps, collapsable shovel, and any other potential needs. This is always an ever evolving process so this will be good to get me started. I Don't want to become a "gear junkie" but want practical needs met. This should fit the bill.

Last edited by NTXLEXUS; 12-19-22 at 04:37 PM.
ColdIron (01-07-24)
Old 12-19-22, 07:09 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default storage

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS

Rugged Bound Supply

Good luck.
Thanks for the Rugged Bound link. Looks like a well designed, heavy duty fixture, but $2k is kinda steep. Pretty schweet, though. Have to put that on my list....
Old 12-20-22, 09:57 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice find on the Ridgid boxes, Home Depot has them in stock and they're all on sale, was able to get a whole set for under $200.
Old 01-06-24, 07:48 AM
EricGDO
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get these lots of place, including Amazon and Walmart.

Last edited by EricGDO; 01-06-24 at 07:51 AM.
JimInTN (01-07-24)
Old 01-06-24, 11:16 AM
EricGDO
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

blackangus (01-15-24)

Quick Reply: Rear Cargo Storage Boxes