GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used 2010 GX460 - should Starfire Pearl paint keep me from purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 08:03 AM
BurbanMud
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Used 2010 GX460 - should Starfire Pearl paint keep me from purchasing?

Hi all,

New to the forum. Might have the chance to join as a new-to-me GX460 owner. Came here for some opinions.

My buying opportunity is a 2010 GX460 base model, about 158K miles. Appears to have been regularly serviced at the right intervals by Lexus dealers and has a prior life as a CPO, all according to Carfax (wasn’t able to access Lexus Drivers site for more details – ugh!). Valve gasket cover and radiator replaced 10K ago. Tires are a matched set of Michelins with good tread life left. No accidents.

My own inspection underneath shows no rust. No leaks in the transfer case or differentials. No leaks in the clean engine compartment. Fluids look as they should. Price is in line with trends on CarGurus (asking: $18.K). Clean inside. All instruments work as expected, including the power third row. An offsite PPI is authorized if I pull the trigger.

However, by reading this forum and in other places, one thing that gives me pause: The exterior is painted the dreaded Starfire Pearl – that is, white. Two or three chips on the leading edge of the hood that have been touched up. Otherwise, good paint elsewhere. Is Starfire Pearl a reason to reconsider, based on some of the white paint problems experienced over the years? I don't see where the 2010 GXs are part of a Lexus action, but, based on this forum, the 470s were and other Toyota models seem to have white paint concerns (edited).

Thanks all for this great community!

Last edited by BurbanMud; 01-07-23 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 01-07-23, 08:33 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Colour is a personal choice, when buying used one usually does not have much choice, but colour would be the least of my concerns. Vehicle condition, mileage, maintenance would be my top priority. I personally prefer Starfire Pearl but that is my preference, not yours.

Last edited by IanG; 01-07-23 at 11:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IanG:
BurbanMud (01-08-23), Richie7 (01-08-23), Wmb67 (01-10-23)
Old 01-07-23, 10:48 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

I would think that if the paint looks good after 23 years and 158k miles then it's holding up pretty well!

I just got mine washed and waxed yesterday and it's still looking great at almost 100k miles and 8 years old.

The following 2 users liked this post by xychromo:
BurbanMud (01-08-23), Richie7 (01-08-23)
Old 01-07-23, 11:35 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BurbanMud
Hi all,

New to the forum. Might have the chance to join as a new-to-me GX460 owner. Came here for some opinions.

My buying opportunity is a 2010 GX460 base model, about 158K miles. Appears to have been regularly serviced at the right intervals by Lexus dealers and has a prior life as a CPO, all according to Carfax (wasn’t able to access Lexus Drivers site for more details – ugh!). Valve gasket cover and radiator replaced 10K ago. Tires are a matched set of Michelins with good tread life left. No accidents.

My own inspection underneath shows no rust. No leaks in the transfer case or differentials. No leaks in the clean engine compartment. Fluids look as they should. Price is in line with trends on CarGurus (asking: $18.K). Clean inside. All instruments work as expected, including the power third row. An offsite PPI is authorized if I pull the trigger.

However, by reading this forum and in other places, one thing that gives me pause: The exterior is painted the dreaded Starfire Pearl – that is, white. Two or three chips on the leading edge of the hood that have been touched up. Otherwise, good paint elsewhere. Is Starfire Pearl a reason to reconsider, based on some of the white paint problems experienced over the years? I don't see where the 2010 GXs are part of a Lexus action, but, based on this forum, the 470s were and other Toyota models seem to have white paint concerns (edited).

Thanks all for this great community!
Why is white the dreaded GX color? I think color is a personal choice. However, is there a practical reason why this color presents problems? does the paint chips easy, yellows over time, or what?
For example, I know GM products with the tri-coat paint yellow like crazy over time. The older GX 460/470 I see around still look white
The following users liked this post:
Richie7 (01-08-23)
Old 01-08-23, 02:14 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We Love Our 2010 GX 460

My wife and I love our 2010 GX460 Premium and it's Starfire White paint. I would not have wanted any other color because I prefer white
I am the 2nd owner for 3 years now and bought it from a retired CEO that wintered in Palm Springs, CA. We leave it at our retirement home in Ft. Myers, FL. So this vehicle has not seen any road salt from IL. When I purchased it from a GM dealership in which I knew the general manager, it's from and rear bumpers had been repainted(front bumper color in picture) due to the elderly owner having owned it for 9 years and I am sure he had chips, scratches, maybe even some small indentations. The rest of the suv is pristine. No dents or spray painted areas. I have touched up some small spots that I am happy with. My only personal concern before purchasing it was whether or not I would like the barn door swing out back door. Imo it has not caused me ever to regret my purchase. To us, it has not effected that vehicle's effectiveness.
Does the bumper paint match the main body? Not so much when I look at it from different angles but it was not a deal breaker for me. I get many compliments how well it looks for being 13 years old. People say it looks new yet not looking closely at the bumpers.
We have never regretted buying it and plan on keeping it for many more years. It rides great and my wife feels safe in it. If I am not wrong, I am pretty sure it is build on a truck frame. But it rides better than a truck! Like other have mentioned, it appears it has been taken care of mechanically and exterior wise and I highly recommend it.

BurbanMud (01-08-23)
Old 01-08-23, 05:42 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Starfire pearl IS a reason to buy, not a reason not to buy, to me. Although color preference is personal, Starfire pearl is a $500 premium paint. It has one more layer of paint than other colors. It is the most durable paint. I owned a white 2005 GX470 and its paint was flawless in 2021 when I sold it. After 16 years other than some paint chips caused by road rocks it shined like new. I bought a GX460 this summer and insisted it had to be a Starfire pearl.
The following 4 users liked this post by JZZFZZ:
BurbanMud (01-08-23), Peacebay (01-08-23), SteveInCal (02-23-23), Stillkn (01-11-23)
Old 01-08-23, 06:19 AM
BurbanMud
Driver School Candidate

Appears I’ve inadvertently offended owners of vehicles painted Starfire Pearl. Many apologies. I wasn’t putting down the color or choices others have made.

I should have asked my question more succinctly: Have you ever had problems with severe peeling, flaking, chipping of your Starfire Pearl white paint on your GX460? Would you advise against buying a GX460 based on Starfire Pearl and the problems some on this forum have had with white Toyota paint?

I wrote in my original post that the color was “dreaded” only because there have been problems reported on GX460s, RX350s and the well-documented cases on the GX470s.

Thanks @JZZFZZ for pointing out that SFP is a premium color for 460s. I wasn’t aware.

The 2010 GX460 I’m looking into will go for a PPI, is a former CPO vehicle, has dealer service documentation at all the right intervals and no rust underneath.

The Starfire Pearl white, because of previous Toyota production problems with white paint, was the only item that made me pause. Not because of the color itself, but because of the lack of performance over time some have reported. Was checking here for updated opinions. I didn't wanted to lean to heavily into a few examples of most people were having a great experience.

Thanks again – and hope to join this group as a new-to-me owner soon.
Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 06:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Several friends with this color gx that have held up really well. Only issue is matching the color if a repaint is needed, tough to do right (as it is with many whites)

good luck with your search!
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
BurbanMud (01-08-23), Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 07:28 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Your concern about "White" paint on Toyota / Lexus vehicles should be limited to Single Stage (White) Paint ... that is notoriously thin and relatively brittle. Starfire Pearl is a Two Stage Paint ... as durable as any other Lexus color.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
aredub (01-09-23), evilfij (01-08-23), jlficken (01-09-23), Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 08:00 AM
BurbanMud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Your concern about "White" paint on Toyota / Lexus vehicles should be limited to Single Stage (White) Paint ... that is notoriously thin and relatively brittle. Starfire Pearl is a Two Stage Paint ... as durable as any other Lexus color.
Thanks for pointing out the two-stage vs. single-stage paint. I missed that important distinction. Sounds like that's a change that Lexus made from the Blizzard White in the 470s to the Starfire Pearl in the 460s.
Old 01-08-23, 08:09 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Your concern is legitimate ... the straight white single stage Toyota / Lexus paint is something I will never relive ... the thinnest paint of any car I have ever owned ... horrible durability ... looked great, but easily chipped like no tomorrow ... had absolutely no thickness.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
BurbanMud (01-08-23), Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 08:12 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve never noticed the paint peeling off of a GX. I have seen many of the older 2007 era IS with peeling white paint exposing the olive green primer underneath. White is the best looking color for the GX, and I’m pretty sure it’s the most sought after color.
Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 08:32 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Several friends with this color gx that have held up really well. Only issue is matching the color if a repaint is needed, tough to do right (as it is with many whites)

good luck with your search!
Any two-stage paint is difficult to match ... no different ... no matter the color.
Richie7 (02-27-23)
Old 01-08-23, 09:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Any two-stage paint is difficult to match ... no different ... no matter the color.
sure, but white is…. much more noticeable. At least to my eyes

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-08-23 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-08-23, 11:59 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Issues with Starfire Pearl on the 460 are fairly rare other than the small number of posts here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lling-off.html

There was the campaign for the 2008-2009 GX 470 (Production period Early January 2008 – Early August 2009) that ended in March 2022.

Campaign info attached
Attached Files

Last edited by Acrad; 01-09-23 at 05:40 AM.
BurbanMud (01-08-23)

Quick Reply: Used 2010 GX460 - should Starfire Pearl paint keep me from purchasing?