GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

ML stinks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23, 05:04 PM
RealMenDIY
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ML stinks!!

Troll title, I love the ML system, I think it’s great, with the correct settings.

Question for those that think it stinks, what are your DSP settings? I was playing around with mine today, turned off the Auto Sound Levelizer and Surround and the system was noticeably worse. The volume level dropped a decent bit and the sound stage basically disappeared. I would go so far as to say the system sounded bad. Good lesson in speakers aren’t the only important piece of a system, EQ and processing are equally important.

Hope this helps a few people unleash the beauty of the ML!
Old 01-25-23, 06:03 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMenDIY
Troll title, I love the ML system, I think it’s great, with the correct settings.

Question for those that think it stinks, what are your DSP settings? I was playing around with mine today, turned off the Auto Sound Levelizer and Surround and the system was noticeably worse. The volume level dropped a decent bit and the sound stage basically disappeared. I would go so far as to say the system sounded bad. Good lesson in speakers aren’t the only important piece of a system, EQ and processing are equally important.

Where do you keep the treble, mid and bass?
Old 01-25-23, 06:26 PM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Of course, what sounds good for one may be different for another. We're humans. I agree you should play around with settings to find what works best for you. I also am very happy with ML especially when I crank it...LOL. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
RealMenDIY (01-25-23)
Old 01-25-23, 09:18 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMenDIY

I got a 2023 lux and when I plugged in apple CarPlay for the first time the ML was EXTREMELY BAD. No joke, the worst car radio I’d ever listened to. It was like listening to music underwater. Just like you say. Zero soundstage. The vocals were particularly muffled.

Two things have drastically improved my sound quality:
1. I replaced the usb cable. I had grabbed a random USB cable out of a drawer. My guess it wasn’t fast enough to let pass high enough bit rate through. This took it to from horrendous to listenable but still “bad”.

2. I took my GX to the dealer 2 days ago to reflash it to factory settings. I had experienced a problem/glitch with my GX. My key fob had stopped working, other things were not working as they were supposed to (like beeps when doors are locked/unlocked, etc). They did that.

As I was leaving the dealership I immediately realized the sound system was better. I wasn’t expecting this to do anything as I had just given up with the audio system. It’s been pretty good now.

I am cautiously optimistic as it’s been only two days. Everything I’ve played in the past two days has been really good.