GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 GX 460 vs. LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 04:52 AM
GenXer460
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
No LC experience here, but I have noticed my GX has an insanely good turning radius. It seems to be noticeably better than my wife's old RX, which surprises me.

Mark
Agree. This surprised me because I had test drove the 4Runner and that truck has a horrible turn radius; frankly worse than my Suburban. That's probably one of the differences between the Prado (GX) and 4Runner.
Old 02-06-23, 06:58 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
No LC experience here, but I have noticed my GX has an insanely good turning radius. It seems to be noticeably better than my wife's old RX, which surprises me.

Mark
I went from a RX to the GX and even though the wheel base is the same, the GX has a much tighter turning radius. Also a much larger cargo area.
Old 02-07-23, 06:15 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

If you can find a good deal with the LX, go for it.
Old 02-07-23, 06:44 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Seeing Lexus Toyota discontinuing V8s, these V8 models’ price for used will likely go up. What complicates the situation is the general new car used car market. The car market is crazy. That being said, I believe the high prices brought some nice used cars to the market. People are taking advantage of the high prices at the same time buyers have nice ones they would’ve not to choose from. I would say, if you find a really nice one and the price is not crazily crazy, get it.
The following users liked this post:
leogast (02-08-23)
Old 02-07-23, 06:49 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have owned a 2004 GX470, 2010 LX570, 2015 LX570, and now a 2022 GX460. The AHC on the LX is the real party trick. It makes the ride really amazing for what the 200 series is, a big body on frame SUV, and capable off road with the additional ride height on demand. The 5.7L V8 is very smooth. The gas mileage on long road trips was 16MPG, and around 13MPG on short drives. Worse than the MPGs is the crazy small gas tank - 250 miles of range on a full tank. The size on the inside of the LX is a sweat spot, and there is enough extra room in the back with the third row seats deployed to make a difference (not much, but noticeable compared to the GX.).

For wheeling off road, the larger size will mean more pin stripping compared to the GX (GX is smaller and more nimble off road). The extra weight and size of the LX results in less maneuverability off road compared to the GX. In summary, I loved what the LX had to offer, but there are compromises (MPG, range, feels large off road, heavy).

I have to say, I really love driving my 2022 GX. Really smooth V8, can hit 20+MPG on long highway drives at 70mph, the range on a full tank of gas is about 300-330 miles, it is smaller and lighter enough to feel noticeably more nimble than the LX both on and off road. For what it is, and given the difference in price, the GX offers compromises in all the right areas. If the GX had AHC, I would never day-dream about a future LX.

Last edited by gfcipriani; 02-08-23 at 05:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gfcipriani:
2chains (02-10-23), catdaddylo (02-08-23), GenXer460 (02-08-23)
Old 02-09-23, 02:02 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gfcipriani
...If the GX had AHC, I would never day-dream about a future LX.
I'm surprised I don't see this mentioned more often. Coming from an LX470, I truly miss the AHC and the split tailgate. If the GX came with those, it would be the clear winner and I'd never give an LX another thought.
Old 02-10-23, 08:58 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dwh13
I'm surprised I don't see this mentioned more often. Coming from an LX470, I truly miss the AHC and the split tailgate. If the GX came with those, it would be the clear winner and I'd never give an LX another thought.
Yes. I forgot about the split tailgate. That too is a really nice feature of the LX470, LX570 (and other series LCs). This is now a thing of the past with the J300 series LCs and LX600 models.

Last edited by gfcipriani; 02-10-23 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 09:44 AM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This all depends on your intended usage. They are both as reliable and powerful as anyone could ask for. The GX can be VERY capable off road, but it takes extensive and expensive modification to get rid of all the low hanging body parts for clearance. The LX probably would too, for serious off road use. The LX is bigger but not quite full size IMO, a Tahoe is still bigger I think. The GX third row is only useful for small kids IMO, and since I don't have kids I removed them immediately.

The GX hit the sweet spot for me in terms of size, it's nimble enough for my off road hobby, long enough to sleep inside for overloading, has the V8 (more of a want than a need, but it does help with towing my small camper), six speed transmission (compared to the five speed in the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser). I am more into the utility of things, the luxury aspect was actually not much of an attraction for me; this is the first vehicle I have ever owned with heated seats, climate control, sunroof, automatic wipers, etc.

[edit] I just checked and a Tahoe is 11 inches longer and 3 inches wider than an LX570.

Last edited by BigSvensk; 02-10-23 at 09:51 AM.
evilfij (02-10-23)
Old 02-04-24, 04:54 PM
GXGXLXGX
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
I am currently turning my new vehicle search to a 2023 GX 460. After spending months looking at used LX 570's and even keeping a eye on LX 600's I have decided to pivot because the LX prices, even used , are still about $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 to high in my opinion. For example you can buy a brand new GX 460 with updated technology fully loaded cheaper than a used 2020 or 2021 LX 570. I have made alot of offers to various lexus dealers but out of spite they would rather not sell the LX and let the vehicle sit on their lot and end up taking it to auction and get less. Doesn't sound like smart business to me, but oh well. Definitely not how the Japanese would conduct business themselves.

I have a few questions for GX owners to help me out :

1) How do you compare the GX to the LX, if you have experience owning both.

2) Off road capability compared to the LX.

3) Does the GX have ride height control like the LX and if it does, does it increase the overall ground clearance like the LX.

4) Would it be worth it to wait for the new 2024 GX to come out vs. buying a 2023 ?

5) Do any of the current GX owners have a issue with the current ground clearance ( 8.1 inches) or the approach, brakeover, or the departure angles of the current GX ?

6) Does the GX seem underpowered ?

7) Has anybody installed a 1 or 2 inch lift kit on the GX to give it more Ground clearance ? And does it effect the current adaptive suspension if you have ?

8) Does the GX hold it value well compared to the LX or Forerunner ?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thank You.
I just took delivery of a 2022 GX, traded a 2013 LX. Had 2 previous GXs in the past…a 2007-470 and 2010-460.

1. To compare ownership of both the LX is much larger and more cumbersome yet very comfortable and capable. The GX is not as refined but a good value dollar for dollar. You will find plenty of praise for the GX.

2. Can’t speak to off road as all mine were pavement queens.

3. The GX does have air suspension in appropriate trims. My current GX does not. I have seen many issues pop up with the system from other GXers and don’t want the headache. My LXs AHC had an issue and I was quoted $5000-$12000 depending on how involved it was going to get during the repair.

4. I would try to get one of the last GXs with a V8. Time will have to tell on the new engine configurations as to their reliability IMO.

5. I do not have an issue with the clearance. No off-roading for me. My concern is more snow covered roads and barriers.

6. No. Plenty of power. Gets up and goes when you need it and has good torque to get moving. It’s not a Porsche.

7. No lift kit for me.

8. All of my GXs in the past seem to have held their value. However it’s tough to tell what lies in the future.

edit: spelling
Old 02-06-24, 04:44 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

When looking for a replacement for our 07 GX470 I really "wanted" an LX, but my budget was under $40k and what I was finding for that price just didn't seem to make sense. From the reviews I have always read the LX build quality seemed to be better and the ride was better. The ride being better is likely due to the extra weight and wheelbase differences. The power to weight ratio actually favors the GX though if I remember correctly. I personally think the GX with KDSS handles much better on the road then w/o. Imho it is very composed throwing it into a corner, even loaded up with people and gear.

Last but not least I have two yellow labs that like to go on rides. The GX bar door and storage for 3rd row seating is much better suited to those needs then the LX. GX you just swing the door open and the dogs jump in, and if its warm enough pop the hatch open. LX would be opening the top and bottom tailgate, and the bottom isn't tall enough for me to feel confident having the top open with the dogs in back.
Old 02-24-24, 12:57 AM
Jeff718
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default my 2 cents

2019 LX 2014 GX

I currently own both. They are very different.
-The GX folds the seats completely and allows what seems more usable space. The LX folds the 3rd row on the sides and the second row against the front which takes up a lot of space.
-The LX is much quieter at highway speeds.
-The huge difference in the tailgate design is a personal preference but i hate how the tailgate of the LX takes so long to open and close. But the tailgate/rear door on the GX seems to always be in the way.
-GX is a 6 speed VS 8 speed on the LX. MPG, I get 19 highway on the GX and 16.5 ish on the LX. I feel like the GX responds quicker. The LX really does need a bigger gas tank, that part is extremely annoying. 23 Gals.
-The GX has had all kinds of issues its has not been the "trouble free" dream car everyone talks about. From leaking radiator, valley plate leak, emergency break, and the list goes on.
-The LX is extremely smooth compared to the GX. The seats also feel much better.
-The LX has a very poor design in the middle console. its huge and the cup holders suck. The GX did has a better and more usefull design.
-Turning on the GX is much better.
-The LX has HUD which i really like and a much better sound sistem.
-All that being said. Im probably getting rid of both in the next few months and I will look into something that drives better and i will just deal with reliability as it comes. My vote goes to the LX if you dont mind the mpg its a much better vehicle.

Last edited by Jeff718; 02-24-24 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-24-24, 05:36 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

2014 GX?

Good luck with the sale!

Originally Posted by Jeff718

2019 LX 2014 GX

I currently own both. They are very different.
-The GX folds the seats completely and allows what seems more usable space. The LX folds the 3rd row on the sides and the second row against the front which takes up a lot of space.
-The LX is much quieter at highway speeds.
-The huge difference in the tailgate design is a personal preference but i hate how the tailgate of the LX takes so long to open and close. But the tailgate/rear door on the GX seems to always be in the way.
-GX is a 6 speed VS 8 speed on the LX. MPG, I get 19 highway on the GX and 16.5 ish on the LX. I feel like the GX responds quicker. The LX really does need a bigger gas tank, that part is extremely annoying. 23 Gals.
-The GX has had all kinds of issues its has not been the "trouble free" dream car everyone talks about. From leaking radiator, valley plate leak, emergency break, and the list goes on.
-The LX is extremely smooth compared to the GX. The seats also feel much better.
-The LX has a very poor design in the middle console. its huge and the cup holders suck. The GX did has a better and more usefull design.
-Turning on the GX is much better.
-The LX has HUD which i really like and a much better sound sistem.
-All that being said. Im probably getting rid of both in the next few months and I will look into something that drives better and i will just deal with reliability as it comes. My vote goes to the LX if you dont mind the mpg its a much better vehicle.
Old 02-24-24, 07:15 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I like both the GX and the LX with the V8’s in them. It’s too bad that Lexus has downgraded the engine in both of these models.
MrTorgue (02-24-24)