GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2023 GX 460 vs. LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 08:28 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2023 GX 460 vs. LX 570

I am currently turning my new vehicle search to a 2023 GX 460. After spending months looking at used LX 570's and even keeping a eye on LX 600's I have decided to pivot because the LX prices, even used , are still about $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 to high in my opinion. For example you can buy a brand new GX 460 with updated technology fully loaded cheaper than a used 2020 or 2021 LX 570. I have made alot of offers to various lexus dealers but out of spite they would rather not sell the LX and let the vehicle sit on their lot and end up taking it to auction and get less. Doesn't sound like smart business to me, but oh well. Definitely not how the Japanese would conduct business themselves.

I have a few questions for GX owners to help me out :

1) How do you compare the GX to the LX, if you have experience owning both.

2) Off road capability compared to the LX.

3) Does the GX have ride height control like the LX and if it does, does it increase the overall ground clearance like the LX.

4) Would it be worth it to wait for the new 2024 GX to come out vs. buying a 2023 ?

5) Do any of the current GX owners have a issue with the current ground clearance ( 8.1 inches) or the approach, brakeover, or the departure angles of the current GX ?

6) Does the GX seem underpowered ?

7) Has anybody installed a 1 or 2 inch lift kit on the GX to give it more Ground clearance ? And does it effect the current adaptive suspension if you have ?

8) Does the GX hold it value well compared to the LX or Forerunner ?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thank You.
Old 02-04-23, 10:02 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I owned both LX and GX in the past and before I bought a 2022 GX I struggled between a used LX and a new 2022. In my opinion LX is more overbuilt and more durable, including its height control design. But GX is also overbuilt enough to me. I could not justify a 3 year old LX with 40K miles over a new GX so I took delivery of the 2022 GX.

In terms of 2024, what is attractive to me in these vehicles is their UR engines. A Turbo V6 is a turn off.
The following 2 users liked this post by JZZFZZ:
Ftcgsf (02-04-23), MrTorgue (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 10:05 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
I owned both LX and GX in the past and before I bought a 2022 GX I struggled between a used LX and a new 2022. In my opinion LX is more overbuilt and more durable, including its height control design. But GX is also overbuilt enough to me. I could not justify a 3 year old LX with 40K miles over a new GX so I took delivery of the 2022 GX.

In terms of 2024, what is attractive to me in these vehicles is their UR engines. A Turbo V6 is a turn off.
Thank You.

Did you like the LX better ? And does the height control in the GX change the ground clearance like it does in the LX ?
Old 02-04-23, 10:28 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I do like the LX better. It is wider and has longer wheelbase, which makes it more stable. Its chassis is more solid and its suspension would last longer in my opinion. The KDSS in GX is a long term durability concern. If the used car market were not like it was in 2022, I more likely would’ve bought a used LX. The height control in GX lifts the rear end. To me it is not useful at all. I actually do not care about height control but I hate to spend $60-70K on a vehicle with artificial leather seats so I chose the Luxury, which comes with height control.
The following 2 users liked this post by JZZFZZ:
Ftcgsf (02-04-23), Peacebay (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 10:49 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
I do like the LX better. It is wider and has longer wheelbase, which makes it more stable. Its chassis is more solid and its suspension would last longer in my opinion. The KDSS in GX is a long term durability concern. If the used car market were not like it was in 2022, I more likely would’ve bought a used LX. The height control in GX lifts the rear end. To me it is not useful at all. I actually do not care about height control but I hate to spend $60-70K on a vehicle with artificial leather seats so I chose the Luxury, which comes with height control.
Thank You.
Old 02-04-23, 03:31 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

I have both 2014 GX and 2016 LX. In short, LX is more refined and more capable in off roading with its steering assist and hydronic height control. The ride quality is significantly better compare to GX. GX only has the air bags for rear height control, but that is more or less for the load balance purpose. I don’t feel any under powered for GX at all. Both V8 are the best engine in Toyota history. However, since both LX and GX are body on frame with live axle in rear, therefore, height control does not change the ground clearance because all the suspension components are sit on top of the axle. The lowest point is the bottom of rear axle transfer case regardless how height was the body frame. Both LX and GX are best in terms of reliability and build quality. We are mainly using the GX for daily driving and LX for distanced travel.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Ftcgsf (02-04-23), nyctfl (02-24-24)
Old 02-04-23, 04:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I hadn’t noticed that AHC in the LX 600 is now only on the highest trim.

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/le...X-Brochure.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Ftcgsf (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 05:03 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
I have both 2014 GX and 2016 LX. In short, LX is more refined and more capable in off roading with its steering assist and hydronic height control. The ride quality is significantly better compare to GX. GX only has the air bags for rear height control, but that is more or less for the load balance purpose. I don’t feel any under powered for GX at all. Both V8 are the best engine in Toyota history. However, since both LX and GX are body on frame with live axle in rear, therefore, height control does not change the ground clearance because all the suspension components are sit on top of the axle. The lowest point is the bottom of rear axle transfer case regardless how height was the body frame. Both LX and GX are best in terms of reliability and build quality. We are mainly using the GX for daily driving and LX for distanced travel.
Thank You.
Old 02-05-23, 05:11 AM
GenXer460
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak much to your questions on the LX because, like you, it was way too much to pay relative to a newer GX. I had been looking for a year and just got a 2022 Lux GX 460 for $59k ($63k all in tax, title) and that was simply too good of a deal to pass up. FYI - You can find used Lexus Certified 2022 Luxs for mid to low 60s FYI. That's maybe $7k more than a 4Runner Limited and not much more than a new 4Runner TRD Pro and there's just no comparison in my opinion. There's basically no difference in design between the 2022 to 2023 GX's at the Lux level. I think the main difference is color and Mark Levinsons standard in the 2023. But I got Levinsons in my 2022. I might be wrong, but you may want to shop 2022's as well. The price I paid for the Lux was less than a new Black Line, so it was just too good a deal.

In regards to question 6 - underpowered. Compared to the LX, maybe, but compared to other V8s - it's right there best in class from my perspective. I don't think it would be noticeable at best for your daily driving. I have a Suburban and the GXV8 drives considerably nicer than the Suburban and feels like a tank. So smooth at both bottom and top line acceleration. However I have not towed yet with the truck. I don't plan to because my older Suburban does that for me. The previous owner towed a boat all the time and felt it was just fine. The V8 reliability is beyond compare for almost any known vehicle on the road. I keep cars for as long as possible so this was a huge selling point for me.

To your question #4 on waiting for a 2024 GX. I spent some time on this before buying the 2022.

I asked the dealer whether they knew more about the new 2024 GX 460 and they said they have some ideas, but not a lot. They have apparently seen some photos but can't share (he didn't elaborate on it). The only thing they could say for sure was the new GX460 will be nothing like the existing 460s and that if you want a confirmed/tested V8 that should last for 10+ years/250k+ miles, then the existing 460 is the truck. They said you won't know for years whether the new V6s will be like the old v8s in terms of reliability. They speculate it will be but they just can't know until time passes. Technically, fuel economy should go up a lot. They don't envision the new GX being as off-road after-market/modify friendly as the existing either since the existing 460 has over a decade of roughly the same design and the new one will take a while for the after-market to catch up. They are 99% certain V8s are gone. They think the new GX will get a v6, but not a twin because it would compete too much with the LX600. It will also be more stable at evasive maneuvers, since that's one of the weakest points in the existing GX460. Strong redesign of the interior too. Finally, they thought it visually looked awesome (subjective of course) and the fella I worked with already put his name down for one. He has a 2012 already though that he using that one for off-road and plans to use the 2024 as a daily driver. They speculate the old GXs will maintain a strong cult following (and thus likely a strong secondary market) whereas the new ones remain to be seen since there's a new engine and a complete redesign. Again, they don't know but that seems reasonable.

Finally, from my perspective, I think of this way: the new GX may be epic, but I would never want to buy a new redesign in its first model year anyway so I'd be waiting until at least 2025 or 2026 for the kinks to be worked out. Also, it seems logical the new GX will cost a lot more than the existing GX if Lexus takes a que from the Sequoia playbook. Look what happened with pricing when the new Sequoia launched. They are significantly more expensive than previous Gen Sequoias, assuming you can even get one. Finally, look at the reviews of the new Sequoia. They're okay, but not awesome. So you run the risk of waiting for something that didn't meet expectations. (Here is a link to table I looked at last year when I was considering the Sequoia. I'm not sure if the formatting is going to work, so you can also go to the table here: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/202...ia-priced.html)

1. What do you want it for? Daily or off road or both
2. Are you a bird in the hand person or two in the bush? You know what you're getting in terms of reliability in the existing GX v. speculating on the new on
3. What's your budget and are you okay with possibly paying a lot more than existing new.
4. Where is your decision regret the greatest? Meaning if you waited for a 2024 but missed out on a 2023 and regretted it, would that be more pain to you than buying the 2023 (or 2022, etc) and then realizing you wished you would have waited for the 2024?

Hope that helps!
hzhao (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 10:37 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXer460
the new GX may be epic, but I would never want to buy a new redesign in its first model year anyway so I'd be waiting until at least 2025 or 2026 for the kinks to be worked out. […]Look what happened with pricing when the new Sequoia launched. They are significantly more expensive than previous Gen Sequoias […] Finally, look at the reviews of the new Sequoia. They're okay, but not awesome. So you run the risk of waiting for something that didn't meet expectations.

well said. These where my exact thoughts as well. Also look at reviews of the new LX. Reviews have been: “cool screens but meh…” And I doubt the GX is going to be more exiting than their flagship LX. you run the risk of waiting for something that will not be as exiting as you thought.

Also missing the chance on the V8. That happened to me with the 2021 Tundra. That’s the one that got away for me. That V6 twin turbo is a non starter for what I want my GX for. I really loved that old tundra with the 5.7. Buying a used one is possible, but Will never be the same.

Old 02-05-23, 01:04 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Thanks for posting! I see you use GX as a daily driver. How would you compare the ease of LX with mall parking compared to GX?
Old 02-05-23, 01:47 PM
mwike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my 2019 Land Cruiser and purchased a 2022 GX so not an exact comparison to the LX. Like others have said, the LC platform certainly feels more stable. I also liked the power of the LC as compared to the GX. I like the size of the GX better as its simply more maneuverable.

I mainly sold the LC because I was able to sell it for more than I paid for it - after putting 40k miles on it. In the end I'm happy with my decision as I put $17k in my pocket and have a new GX in the garage.

I live in Colorado and have taken the GX on easy jeep trials with no problems. But I don't do anything too challenging due to the low front end. Unmodified, I'd say the GX and LX would be equal. I drive it almost every day on snow covered roads (just 5 miles to the slopes) and have never had any issues and I use the stock tires. I think the low front end limits any real snow endeavors as you'd be plowing in deep snow. I had to plow through a bit of powder one day on an unmaintained road. My wife got seriously worried since it was clearly pushing snow.

I feel the LC platform is better. You'll have to decide if it's worth the $'s.
Old 02-05-23, 02:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by 2chains
Thanks for posting! I see you use GX as a daily driver. How would you compare the ease of LX with mall parking compared to GX?
In most of cases, I don’t see much difficult for parking for either of LX and GX. LX being a bit longer and wider, some indoor parking with narrow spaces and tight turns may pose some challenges, but those are far and between in my experiences, I have been taking LX in many places include place such as NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc., places that parking space are knowingly tight, haven’t rally had any issues.
Old 02-05-23, 08:20 PM
2chains
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Thanks for the info. Seen a few LX's recently and have another model to add to my possibility list. Really like the 2016.

Old 02-06-23, 04:29 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

No LC experience here, but I have noticed my GX has an insanely good turning radius. It seems to be noticeably better than my wife's old RX, which surprises me.

Mark
DanTeSlagX (02-25-24)

Quick Reply: 2023 GX 460 vs. LX 570