GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18 | 09:00 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by wifehasgx
Thanks for the replies, I'm getting quotes to replace right away, crack is really long (2-3 ft).
Is your windshield OEM?
Old 07-30-18 | 10:46 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

If you go with Safe Light make sure that the wiper heater connector at the bottom of the windshield is intact. I tried to go with them a couple of years ago, but twice they brought a windshield with the connector broken at the bottom. The leads broke off at the solder joint. After the second defective part I decided to go through insurance and pay the deductible to have OEM glass installed. The quality of the electrical connector on the OEM part was much much better than on the Safe light provided glass. I only had to pay about $100 more out of pocket for the OEM part.
Old 07-30-18 | 02:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Remember to ask the installer to install the new clips and trim anytime your windshield is replaced. Most will try to just glue the old trim back on.
Old 07-31-18 | 03:32 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
If you go with Safe Light make sure that the wiper heater connector at the bottom of the windshield is intact. I tried to go with them a couple of years ago, but twice they brought a windshield with the connector broken at the bottom. The leads broke off at the solder joint. After the second defective part I decided to go through insurance and pay the deductible to have OEM glass installed. The quality of the electrical connector on the OEM part was much much better than on the Safe light provided glass. I only had to pay about $100 more out of pocket for the OEM part.
that's a good deal, the original price could be well over $1000.
Old 07-31-18 | 03:48 AM
texas008
Advanced

btw. just wonder in your case how to get OEM glass for just $100 more out of pocket expense?

​​​​​​​Aftermarket windshild glass usually cost less than $300 installed without going through insurance,

Originally Posted by KJ6IRM
Old 07-31-18 | 05:14 AM
hzhao
Racer

I am in the process of replacing my 16 LX570 windshield due to the crack by flying rock. During the claim process with insurance and I insist on OEM replacement, and dealership involvement of recalibrating of the safety feature such as LDA camera and functions. At replacement day, I have personally examined the replacement windshield with original Toyota/Lexus package on it with part number and factory location, in my case, the OEM windshield was manufactured in Japan. Out of pocket cost would be for deductible based on your policy. In my case, the windshield deductible is $500.
Old 07-31-18 | 05:37 AM
texas008
Advanced

Sounds like the Lexus Dealer convinced your insurance company that only OEM glass meet the requirements of LX570.
Wonder which insurance company you have?
My insurance company Geico tries to use aftermarket parts whenever possible, probably same way with lots of other insurance companies.

Originally Posted by hzhao
I am in the process of replacing my 16 LX570 windshield due to the crack by flying rock. During the claim process with insurance and I insist on OEM replacement, and dealership involvement of recalibrating of the safety feature such as LDA camera and functions. At replacement day, I have personally examined the replacement windshield with original Toyota/Lexus package on it with part number and factory location, in my case, the OEM windshield was manufactured in Japan. Out of pocket cost would be for deductible based on your policy. In my case, the windshield deductible is $500.
Old 07-31-18 | 05:43 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by texas008
Sounds like the Lexus Dealer convinced your insurance company that only OEM glass meet the requirements of LX570.
Wonder which insurance company you have?
My insurance company Geico tries to use aftermarket parts whenever possible, probably same way with lots of other insurance companies.
Mine is Westfield Insurance, not some mainstream company, very much focused in regional market, offers great services and competitive rates. So far very happy with them. Years back when I had my 04 GX470 for windshield replacement, which was the OEM glass as well.
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (07-31-18)
Old 07-31-18 | 08:20 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by texas008
btw. just wonder in your case how to get OEM glass for just $100 more out of pocket expense?

​​​​​​​Aftermarket windshild glass usually cost less than $300 installed without going through insurance,
I went through insurance. My deductible is $500 and I was quoted just under $400 for the SafeLight part. Had I not gone through insurance it would have been about $1500 for OEM glass.
texas008 (07-31-18)
Old 08-23-18 | 12:52 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

Default Windshield Crack

Hello!
Well it didn’t take long. Not even a month in and here it is. First crack. Ugh...
Please advice. Leave it be, till it gets worse? Try to repair it? Replace the windshield? Your input is really appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-23-18 | 01:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If it reaches the edge of glass it will definitely have to be replaced.

If you do end up with replacement make note of the needed clips.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9884882

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eld-crack.html
GX4TATI (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18 | 02:37 PM
hzhao
Racer

Any cracks larger than a quarter is advised to be replaced for safety reasons. Depends your insurance coverage, I will insists for OEM glass instead of after market one. I had recently an incident to replace my '16 LX windshield and requested for OEM. At day of replacement work, I had personally meet the installer (Safelite) and ensure the glass is OEM one with Toyota/Lexus part number sticks and original manufacture information. If you have to pay out your own pocket, the difference on those glasses would be $1200 (OEM) vs. $300 (roughly with aftermarket).
GX4TATI (08-23-18)
Old 08-24-18 | 07:04 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

The Safelite guys were able to fill the crack. No charge with our Allstate insurance. Happy did not have to replace the windshield. Good to know though that Allstate replaces with OEM parts.
Thank you Acrad and Hzhao, your knowledge is outstanding. Have a great weekend

The following 2 users liked this post by GX4TATI:
Acrad (08-25-18), hzhao (08-25-18)
Old 10-28-18 | 07:06 AM
me1971
Driver School Candidate

Default Windshield Replacement

I have a 2018 GX460. Just got a crack from a rock. How much would I probably pay at dealership?
Old 10-28-18 | 08:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

OEM glass is expensive but if you can get your insurance to pay for it go for it.

Some windshield replacement discussion here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...indshield.html

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements