GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Skid plates / Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 08:53 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Lightbulb Skid plates / Sliders

Just looking. The gas tank is only covered by about 30% of the plastic gas tank. Much of the gas tank is not protected. We live in the Rockies, we have sharp rocks (Imagine that). Rocks that stick up in the road to puncture things like gas tanks. So does anybody know if a 4 Runner skid plate would be a direct retro- fit? I think my Niece's runner has a full skid plate. Haven't really looked, but it doesn't have running boards and I thought it had a complete skid plate. Sure looked like it covered the entire tank. I need to look closer.
On that subject, does anyone know of a vendor who makes all the appropriate skid plates? I see ARB makes one for the front end, but there is a question of if it will fit a second gen or just the PRADO, and with KDSS. I didn't see one for the trans on their site, or for the gas tank.
Old 04-02-17, 02:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Still looking for gas tank protection but this one might be of interest

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/03-17-G...X-03-17-02.htm
  • Protects transmission, second and third cross-members, and exhaust
  • Excellent addition or replacement of weak, lightweight OEM skid plates (which do not provide any coverage over transmission)
  • Service openings for maintenance without removal
  • Reinforced edges between cross-members for maximum strength and rigidity
  • Bolt protector rings surround exposed bolts, shielding against physical damage
  • Smooth, flat surface that easily slides over obstacles
  • Black powder coat available for rust resistant, durable and high quality finish
  • Installs in minutes
  • All hardware and installation instructions provided
  • Direct bolt on addition to existing factory attachment points, no drilling required
  • Add our optional zinc plated support braces for maximum strength of your steel or aluminum transmission skid plate - adds only 3lbs
The following users liked this post:
Oldmanb777 (04-02-17)
Old 04-06-17, 01:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This place does a front end skid plate

http://budbuilt-com.3dcartstores.com...te-_p_326.html

Both of these outfits seem to do some tank protection for 4Runners. I reached out to see if the GX was a possibility.
Oldmanb777 (04-06-17)
Old 04-07-17, 07:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I mentioned to the wife about adding a few skids to rig this summer. She says.. why not now... ok :-) More aggressive search now

I do want to get core things like gas tank / transfer case and AT covered. Maybe rear diff.... probably not control arms... we'll see

I haven't bought a used vehicle in over 20 years but this GX feels like a new rig to me. It was really taken good care of. You have to search far and wide for any small scratch. Maybe that makes it easier to take off-road since the first scratch has already been applied? :-)

EDIT: Are these 460's in garages everywhere?... I swear.. I rarely...rarely...see them in my neck of the woods. Aside from Lexus dealer....only saw one other like mine (pre-facelift) and one post-facelift in the last two weeks.

I've even gotten a few thumbs up from off-road looking Toyota drivers... reminds me of driving my Jeep Wrangler and the wave that goes with that.

Last edited by Acrad; 04-07-17 at 07:24 PM.
direwolf33 (11-13-21)
Old 04-08-17, 06:22 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Before we bought our, I NEVER saw one. Just didn't notice them, I guess. Since we bought ours, I realize there are 2 others within a block of my house. I now see them everywhere.
I think they are just not eyecatchers in their stock trim. "Sleepers" on the road. I have gotten a couple comments in parking lots, "What is that? are they new? never seen one of those before. Didn't know Lexus made a mid size SUV." Etc.
Old 04-08-17, 02:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Rocky Road GX460 and GX470 Rock Sliders

http://metaltech4x4.com/gx470-02-09-...skidplates-pr/

I wonder if undercarriage-wise the Prado stuff will fit without issue?

http://www.asfir.com/our-products?ma...ar_model_id=69
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
jobpatto (03-21-18), Oldmanb777 (04-08-17)
Old 04-08-17, 07:18 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Those look like nice sliders.
Old 04-11-17, 07:30 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the first ever set of MetalTech's OPOR sliders on my GX460. We thought a 5G T4R with KDSS would fit, but where the KDSS lines cross under the frame was different, so they built a new set and they work great! I like the MetalTech ones much better the RRO's because they are 100% bolt on utilizing the threaded bolt holes already in the frame only.

RCI Metalworks makes great skids, those are probably next on the list of upgrades at some point and they can make aluminum ones to save on weight.
jobpatto (03-21-18)
Old 05-29-17, 12:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Kinda interesting to see what is available in other markets. This is out of a GX accessories catalog in Russia.

http://content.v10.lexus.ru/pdf/accessories/GX.pdf

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
matthew2 (05-18-20), mzs14 (01-16-18)
Old 05-30-17, 08:44 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

RCI makes great skid plates...had the entire set for my T4R and they held up great. They are also one of the better deals.
Old 05-30-17, 10:42 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KVA
RCI makes great skid plates...had the entire set for my T4R and they held up great. They are also one of the better deals.
Thanks!

I'll ask them as well but offhand do you know if their 4Runner or FJ stuff would bolt up to the GX?

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/10-17-4Runner_c57.htm
http://www.rcimetalworks.com/10-14-FJ-Cruiser_c60.htm
Old 06-02-17, 08:50 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Thanks!

I'll ask them as well but offhand do you know if their 4Runner or FJ stuff would bolt up to the GX?

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/10-17-4Runner_c57.htm
http://www.rcimetalworks.com/10-14-FJ-Cruiser_c60.htm
Definitely not FJ. The T4R is most likely the direct bolt-on. I don't know for certain if it would bolt up exactly BUT the bolt locations are the same on the frame. Same for sliders. I checked that when I had my T4R and everything was in the same spots...I didn't try to mount my skids on the GX though. I would imagine they fit and have read of someone on IH8MUD installing RCI skids on a GX. Just reach out to RCI (I think it's Joshua) and ask. They are super easy to converse with and if they have access to a GX they will try for you. I had them alter my front skid on my T4R and they did anything I asked/wanted.

I may get skids soon - all aluminum - not the best option if you actually offroad and take rock hits (would stick with steel) but for normal driving and protection the 1/4" aluminum works great.
Acrad (06-02-17)
Old 06-02-17, 01:14 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

KVA: Will do... appreciate the info. Not sure about steel or aluminum.

However..the aluminum full aluminum protection on my Polaris XP quads have stood up to some rough stuff.

Old 06-05-17, 05:25 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KVA
Definitely not FJ. The T4R is most likely the direct bolt-on. I don't know for certain if it would bolt up exactly BUT the bolt locations are the same on the frame. Same for sliders. I checked that when I had my T4R and everything was in the same spots...I didn't try to mount my skids on the GX though. I would imagine they fit and have read of someone on IH8MUD installing RCI skids on a GX. Just reach out to RCI (I think it's Joshua) and ask. They are super easy to converse with and if they have access to a GX they will try for you. I had them alter my front skid on my T4R and they did anything I asked/wanted.

I may get skids soon - all aluminum - not the best option if you actually offroad and take rock hits (would stick with steel) but for normal driving and protection the 1/4" aluminum works great.
For skids, yes the T4R (with KDSS) skids will bolt right up. Even for actual offroad, the aluminum is thick enough to handle the rocks and is significantly lighter than the steel options. For sliders, the GX460's KDSS lines run under the frame at a different spot than the T4R. I know this because I tried to get a set of Metal Tech's OPOR sliders to fit my GX. Ended up having Metal Tech redesign the driver side slider and ship it back out. Fits like a glove!
Acrad (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 02:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stilespend
I know this because I tried to get a set of Metal Tech's OPOR sliders to fit my GX. Ended up having Metal Tech redesign the driver side slider and ship it back out. Fits like a glove!
Thanks for being the beta tester :-)

Quick Reply: Skid plates / Sliders