GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Glove Box Storage Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 05:43 PM
fe342185
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Does any round universal 12V socket from Amazon fit or do I need a specific one for Toyotas?

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I did the same!

Old 02-02-21, 09:06 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Acrad, great videos but what a character, one guy was afraid a cop would shoot him in the head and the second video the guy was afraid he would be tied up and raped LOL.
Old 02-05-21, 08:01 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I did that mode a couple of years ago, but I think that any round 12V unit would work.
Old 02-07-21, 08:02 AM
jaaydee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Guys that Put the USB and 12v Socket in the Glovebox, how did you Run the Wires to the Outlet's? What did you have to take apart? I put USB Outlets on the Back of the Center Console, but Would Like to Mount them in my Glovebox also. Where do they come out of the Glovebox? Just the side of the Door?
Thanks,
jaaydee
Old 02-07-21, 09:16 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaydee
For the Guys that Put the USB and 12v Socket in the Glovebox, how did you Run the Wires to the Outlet's? What did you have to take apart? I put USB Outlets on the Back of the Center Console, but Would Like to Mount them in my Glovebox also. Where do they come out of the Glovebox? Just the side of the Door?
Thanks,
jaaydee
I did that along with the power sources for the second row behind center console below the second row climate control area. So I ran the cables along the side of console back, then to the other side back to fuse block next to the ODB port.
Old 02-07-21, 10:47 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
I did that along with the power sources for the second row behind center console below the second row climate control area. So I ran the cables along the side of console back, then to the other side back to fuse block next to the ODB port.
how hard is it to add the usb/aux and 12V to the glove box, would i have to make a custom harness and tap into other wires?
Old 02-07-21, 10:58 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

It has been a few years since I added those items to the glovebox and I didn't take very good pictures. But I do remember that it wasn't that difficult to do.

I used an adapter something like this:
Glovebox USB Glovebox USB
Notice the Amazon item has two sets of wires - one for the uppers USB and one for the lower USB. The lower one is labeled audio and has a long USB cable connected to it. I ran that connection into the center storage compartment to connect to the USB audio port there. It looks like this:

This way I can connect the USB media stick in the glove box instead of that storage area. I gave up one of the USB ports, but that didn't matter. Inside the glovebox, I just connected the upper USB port (in the new part) to a 12v power source. Here is the only picture I have:

I may be totally wrong, but I don't think I even removed the entire glovebox to do these. The final picture with everything put back together...

Last edited by DallasDave; 02-07-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-07-21, 11:18 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
how hard is it to add the usb/aux and 12V to the glove box, would i have to make a custom harness and tap into other wires?
not difficult at all. The rectangle space fits any Toyota spec USB port, which is widely available from Amazon. The hardest part was to remove the round blank cover, since it is not easy to access from the back for the release tabs. What I did was to tap a screw on the center of the cover, then just pull it out using screw as the holder. Rest of just route the wires.
Old 02-07-21, 11:20 AM
jaaydee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DallasDave,

Yours is a 2015? Mines a 2010. I don't remember it having a Charge and USB Audio Port. I could be wrong, I'm not near the vehicle.
Did your GX come with a Double Port in the Center Console like you show, or did you add it?
Old 02-07-21, 11:24 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Mine is a2015 and the center console double port was already there. Both ports for charging and/or for USB audio.

Go to post #39 in this thread and there is a little discussion about it. It also confirms that you do NOT need to remove the glovebox for this mod.
Old 02-07-21, 07:11 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

not difficult at all. The rectangle space fits any Toyota spec USB port, which is widely available from Amazon. The hardest part was to remove the round blank cover, since it is not easy to access from the back for the release tabs. What I did was to tap a screw on the center of the cover, then just pull it out using screw as the holder. Rest of just route the wires.
but hzhao, do i have to make my own wire harness to connect it the vehicle?
Old 02-07-21, 08:12 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
but hzhao, do i have to make my own wire harness to connect it the vehicle?
You will have to tap the wire to a suitable power source. The closest one would be at center console 12v power outlet. Or as I have done, to route the wire to fuse block at left of ODB ports using the fuse tapping connector.
Old 02-08-21, 08:07 PM
fe342185
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

is there a fuse to tap next to the odb port that turns on with accessory? I’d like to power the new USB ports when the radio is on.

I was thinking of tapping the power from the cigarette lighter outlet to trigger a relay. Then the relay will provide power to a small distribution block for all the accessories.

thanks,

You will have to tap the wire to a suitable power source. The closest one would be at center console 12v power outlet. Or as I have done, to route the wire to fuse block at left of ODB ports using the fuse tapping connector.
Old 02-09-21, 07:20 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by fe342185
is there a fuse to tap next to the odb port that turns on with accessory? I’d like to power the new USB ports when the radio is on.

I was thinking of tapping the power from the cigarette lighter outlet to trigger a relay. Then the relay will provide power to a small distribution block for all the accessories.

thanks,
Yes. There is an open space of #29 (if I remember correctly). It is an ACC controlled power.
Old 04-04-21, 11:53 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

installed the organizer recommend by mister bob and like it. lost the agility to keep the tissue box, but wipes are used much more.

Quick Reply: Glove Box Storage Options