GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

[Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 02:52 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I really haven't looked at this area in TS. Is there a way to identify the existing keys versus one that has been lost? Previous owner lost the other FOB and I ended up buying a new one shortly after purchase. Can I delete the lost key?
Old 04-07-18, 03:37 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I really haven't looked at this area in TS. Is there a way to identify the existing keys versus one that has been lost? Previous owner lost the other FOB and I ended up buying a new one shortly after purchase. Can I delete the lost key?
There is a way to do it but the process has a few more steps and is a little more complicated. Basically you need to delete all the keys from the ECU which can take up to 20 min and then "reseed"/re-add the keys back....here is a youtube video I found when I thought I might need to do a reseed to add the credit card key....not for the GX but shows you the basic steps in Techstream.

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-07-18)
Old 04-08-18, 04:48 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
SigEpGX460 is right on the money. You'll need to have your current keys available to go through the "re-seed" setup. That will erase all the keys including the lost key and will only register the current keys you have.

This is the website I have saved to buy "re-seed tokens" that will provide you 5 chances for reseed codes. https://www.weboctopus.nl/lexus-scio...calculator.php

I never got a chance to purchase the tokens from that website, so I can't say if the site is 100% legitimate. There are sellers who have this as a program that comes in a USB drive. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PASS...863365447.html They go for $190, which may be overkill for a one time job. You may be able to find a version online at no cost.... but I never looked into it.

Videos for reference:
Old 04-08-18, 04:54 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
I'm happy to report that it was a battery issue! Simple battery swap and the fob registered on the first try. Warning to others who attempt the registration - if the battery is low it will still generate the "beep" during the registration process when held against the start/stop button but then the registration will fail shortly after placing the fob on the passenger seat. Thanks to Obsidian for the instructions and documentation. Much nicer not having to carry around the key fob and just leaving the Credit Card key in a wallet slot.
Good to hear that you were able to get it to work! Mine's been holding up well and working without any issues. I realized I never used any of the buttons on the key fob to lock or unlock the vehicle, which made it an easier transition to the credit card key.
Old 04-08-18, 05:04 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how durable is this credit card key? Can you put it in your wallet and sit on it all day without worrying about it being bent?
Old 04-08-18, 05:15 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

The card key has some weight to it (think Amex Centurion or the new Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve) . For the most part I think it may be made out of metal or a metal/plastic composite.

A good indication on durability would depend on how your other cards in your wallet hold up. I don't sit on my wallet since it always bothered my back. The card key is about the thickness of 2-3 plastic cards.

I think the card is durable, but it really depends on your day to day activities. Someone on the Tacoma forum was about to break the card . https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-16311320
Old 04-08-18, 05:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
The card key has some weight to it (think Amex Centurion or the new Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve) . For the most part I think it may be made out of metal or a metal/plastic composite.

A good indication on durability would depend on how your other cards in your wallet hold up. I don't sit on my wallet since it always bothered my back. The card key is about the thickness of 2-3 plastic cards.

I think the card is durable, but it really depends on your day to day activities. Someone on the Tacoma forum was about to break the card . https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-16311320
I agree. "Durability" is a variable term based on personal preferences, lots of common sense and general care involved. It is designed to handle normal daily activities without any issue. The credit card type key was part of standard issued keys with my old GX470, and I have carried for 12 years without any issue. I guess for now, I have to pay extra to get one...... I am going to do it.
Old 04-08-18, 06:39 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Good to hear that you were able to get it to work! Mine's been holding up well and working without any issues. I realized I never used any of the buttons on the key fob to lock or unlock the vehicle, which made it an easier transition to the credit card key.
I agree on the fob buttons. Have you had to change the battery yet? I read on one of the other forums there was a concern about the battery life and it dying and leaving you stranded. I plan on picking up a spare battery and leaving it in the glove box and maybe one at the office.

Now that I have the fob working I went ahead and ordered the key blank. Will try and have the dealer cut it next time I go in for an oil change.
Old 04-08-18, 06:50 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by clickart
I wonder how durable is this credit card key? Can you put it in your wallet and sit on it all day without worrying about it being bent?
I went "Rouge" a few years ago so I won't have any issues. The guys are correct on it being a bit sturdy (about the thickness of 3 credit cards).

https://www.rogue-industries.com/col...ollection/Mens

Old 04-08-18, 07:22 AM
HotKoolaid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been able to get one of these to work for a 2011?
Old 04-08-18, 07:31 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by HotKoolaid
Has anyone been able to get one of these to work for a 2011?
If your original key fob is under same FCC ID Class, I don't see why not.
Old 04-08-18, 09:26 AM
HotKoolaid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it is not. My keys are HYQ14AAB. Maybe one day when I have some free time I'll take the fob apart and print my own key card on a 3d printer that will accept the internals of the fob.
Old 04-08-18, 09:37 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by HotKoolaid
Unfortunately it is not. My keys are HYQ14AAB. Maybe one day when I have some free time I'll take the fob apart and print my own key card on a 3d printer that will accept the internals of the fob.
That is the right FCC class: HYQ14. Last three letter (or number) does not matter. First five letters are the Class.
Old 04-08-18, 10:06 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

The numbers on my '12 FOBs match up.
Old 04-09-18, 07:49 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
I agree on the fob buttons. Have you had to change the battery yet? I read on one of the other forums there was a concern about the battery life and it dying and leaving you stranded. I plan on picking up a spare battery and leaving it in the glove box and maybe one at the office.

Now that I have the fob working I went ahead and ordered the key blank. Will try and have the dealer cut it next time I go in for an oil change.
I am still on the original battery. I thought that the vehicle would always display a low key battery indicator when the time comes. I remember seeing something similar on the RX.

Was your key one of the "last" ones purchased from Bell Lexus? About a 2 weeks ago, it was saying "almost gone" on ebay.

Somewhere online, I read that people used those magnetic key holders and placed it on the frame of the vehicle. That way you will always have a battery accessible and won't need to have the battery stored at different locations. If you do get locked out, I don't know if you'll be able to access the battery in the glovebox.

I haven't had a chance to stop on by the local dealer to ask about the mechanical key. Let us know what you find out. If the mechanical key can work, the card key could still start the car by placing it up against the start/stop button. Similar to using the key fob to start the car with a low fob battery.

Now that I think about it, I don't see why the key couldn't be made for the GX. The RX and LX have the option of ordering a mechanical key for the card.... They look to be similar metal keys on our GX fob.

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 04-09-18 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: [Mod] Smart Card Key (Credit Card style key) for GX460 / FOB Programming