GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 02:39 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts
Lightbulb Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences

While I am still looking for the option of retrofit with OEM front and side cameras, at meantime, I tried out the Beat Sonic front camera interface CS5EP and aftermarket camera from Amazon. The result is actually better than I would expected. Here is the result and I will detail the process in following post.

The following 6 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (04-19-18), bbqsoup (04-19-18), burnthe (04-27-18), NWMudHorn (04-07-20), ObsidianBl (04-19-18), tecman (04-19-18) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-18, 03:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

That's pretty cool
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
burnthe (04-27-18), hzhao (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 03:08 PM
hzhao
Racer

Beat Sonic front camera interface for Lexus (CS5EP) is fairly easy to install and integrated with OEM display pretty good. With optional OEM fit camera switch, complete with matching backlight, it actually give you a fairly closer OEM look. Overall installation is pretty straight forward, for GX, all you need to do is remove the center console side trim pieces, then remove the push button and a small panel off (where the center differential lock switch located), above is the blank space which is perfect for the camera switch. Then the pieces above glove box. The detail process for accessing the connectors behind display is available on the youtube. After removing the center console (for those of you did 070 switch replacement, it is the same process), just pull out the radio, then pull out the display, no need to remove them, just enough to gain access the connector behind the display. The only connector you will need to access is on the far right side of the display screen, which is a 24 pins connector. All you have to do is the put Beat Sonic interface between it. The rest of job is all to do with re-route the cables and camera install.

I used a generic camera from Amazon. It works OK, but is is a bit small as you mounted with a little more recessed as I would hope for. But it's acceptable. I would look into if I can utilize the OEM camera case an make it even better. The reason that I won't be able to using OEM camera, it is OEM camera uses non-standard 12v power, and at this point, I just want to make it an easy solution. In order to install the camera on 2014+ grill, there is a center fin that you will need to cut off right below the Lexus logo. I spend more time to try fit the camera in the most optima angle and cutting the support fin without damage surrounding areas. Get the cable into the cabin is not that difficult, there is lots of room at rubber seal next to the hood cable. There are many options all depends on your own preference. That is pretty much it for the install.

Beat sonic interface works out pretty well. By pressing the camera button once, it displays front camera. By default, it will display front camera for 15 seconds, then return to original screen. Press twice, it displays backup camera. If you put the car in reverse, the backup camera override anything just as original.

Last edited by hzhao; 04-19-18 at 03:26 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hzhao:
burnthe (04-27-18), ltsr (03-18-20), NWMudHorn (04-07-20), sinistar (08-29-19)
Old 04-19-18, 03:23 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Well.... that’s good enough for me. Waiting to hear the details on this!

I was talking with BriGuyDiy about this. But I got a little busy and haven’t followed up. He has a few products available for the Toyota side.
Old 04-19-18, 03:30 PM
hzhao
Racer

Here is the clip from youtube on how to remove the display:

For Beat Sonic interface install, you don't actually remove it, just pull out enough the gain the access the connector on back of the display.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
burnthe (04-27-18), sinistar (08-29-19)
Old 04-19-18, 03:37 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

The Beatsonic is for 14+ only?

Very clean installation and the camera button is nice!
Old 04-19-18, 03:40 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
The Beatsonic is for 14+ only?

Very clean installation and the camera button is nice!
I think they have two version of interface, the CS5EP is the newer one. You can send them an email to verify. Their response is pretty good.
Old 04-19-18, 03:48 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

They have the 14-18 GX460 listed on their website but it says "without Park Assist". Did you have a special order version?
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/cs5ep.html
Old 04-19-18, 03:54 PM
hzhao
Racer

There is an interesting encounter I had during the installation. Since the interface arrived couple of days before the camera, I decided to have the interface installed first, then the camera later. I figured, logically, I should see a blank screen for the front camera when I pressed the button since there is nothing there. However, after I have interface installed, the button does nothing, I completely lost backup camera as well, even I shifted into reverse. I called Beat Sonic and wondering if I had missed anything, the initial answer that I got was the interface won't work if there is no front camera signal. That answer actually made me worried, If the interface did have a dependency on front camera, I wasn't sure if that is what I wanted. Beside, I just could not believe a good product would designed with such dependency in place. With my doubt in mind, I took everything a part, and re-checked all the connectors, cables..... And sure enough, there is one connection was lose during my re-orgnized the cable. After secure everything, It worked as I had expected, press button once, a blank screen (due to missing front camera), then again, shows the backup, so as you shifted in reverse. I then wrote an email to Beat Sonic and detailed my encounter. They replied and thanked me for corrected they training manual as it indicated bother camera signal has to be exists before the interface would work. Regardless, The the staffs at Beat Sonic are great and they are willing to do everything to help their customer out in times you need the support.
Old 04-19-18, 03:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
They have the 14-18 GX460 listed on their website but it says "without Park Assist". Did you have a special order version?
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/cs5ep.html
No. I just ordered that one.
Old 04-19-18, 04:34 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 864 Likes on 599 Posts

Excellent work hzhao
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 05:38 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
No. I just ordered that one.
hzhao - Have you had the opportunity to verify if Park Assist still works while the camera is installed? Otherwise I'm a little confused why they would go out of the way to specifically note "without Parking Assist". If you are in the process of parking and have the front camera engaged I wonder if it disengages Park Assist. That would be a cool test when you have some time. I am interested in outfitting with cameras but would not want to lose the park assist function.
Old 04-19-18, 05:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
hzhao - Have you had the opportunity to verify if Park Assist still works while the camera is installed? Otherwise I'm a little confused why they would go out of the way to specifically note "without Parking Assist". If you are in the process of parking and have the front camera engaged I wonder if it disengages Park Assist. That would be a cool test when you have some time. I am interested in outfitting with cameras but would not want to lose the park assist function.
I had the same question originally. I had asked question before I placed order. What Beat Sonic referring to "Park Assist" is the vehicle has OEM "WIdeview and Side monitor" system. Actually Lexus call it "Park Assist Monitor". That was confusing and I wish Beat Sonic would make it more clear. The interface has nothing to do with Park Assist Sonar system, or Lexus called "Intuitive Park Assist". It still works as it should be.
The following users liked this post:
SigEpGX460 (04-19-18)
Old 04-20-18, 09:24 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

very good work on a cool mod hzhao! I'll add this to my mod list this summer. This forum is slowly eating away my rainy day saving. lol
Old 04-21-18, 04:59 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tuandino
very good work on a cool mod hzhao! I'll add this to my mod list this summer. This forum is slowly eating away my rainy day saving. lol
Thx. I hear ya! I never thought that I would went that far on GX. This forum almost become my religion now

Quick Reply: Front camera and Beat Sonic interface installation experiences