GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Aftermarket Rear Seat Entertainment Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 07:39 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Lightbulb Rear seat entertainment installation

This group has helped me so much throughout my GX ownership. I also learned a great deal of stuff along the way. Here is my little contribution to the group, i hope it's helpful to someone lol.
I've been using a mini ipad mounted the back of front seat for my 2 year old daughter. Although there's nothing wrong with that option, I just don't like the look of the mount (i've tried several different mounts) and also how the charging cable is dangling freely in the back. I'd prefer a clean, stock look that's why I chose to install a rear seat entertainment unit. Another benefit is the ability to play DVDs. We have a collection of Disney DVDs. Simply the benefits of having a dedicated rear seat unit outweighs the current solution.

I ordered my unit from ebay. this is the link: rear seat entertainment unit
There are a lots of options for this type of setup. Some are android-based tablets, some are only able to play DVD, etc. You can choose whichever suits you. The good thing is that all of them use identical wiring for hard-wire; so if you want to switch or upgrade later on down the road, it is very easy without having to re-wire everything.
Prereq:
You need to install 12v outlet to the 2nd row using the instructions in this link 2nd row additional 12v outlet
I was able to tap into the above outlet to power my rear seat units. There are plenty of room inside the rear AC control panel to hide all your wiring to make a clean looking install.

Step-by-step:

1- pry open the rear seat panel. There are 2 white tabs at the top of the panel that you have to use a screw driver to push in sideway. Hzhao's instruction document shows how to remove the panel in details.
2- snake the wiring through the headrest post base. The leather is very flexible with enough room to snake wire through.

wire is fished through the bottom of the headrest base.

3-Run the wire through the back of the seat. I use ziptie to make it tidy.

4- I used the 12v 2nd row outlet (as mentioned in the pre-req above) to tap power for my entertainment units. There is a lot of room to make all connections.

5- Here is the result. I also plan to into a 2nd monitor to the passenger side, but I'm still waiting for the 2nd unit to arrive. I already run all the wires so once it's here, all i need to do is hook it up and mounted it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front seat backboard removal.pdf (181.3 KB, 297 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by tuandino:
Black16 (04-16-18), Craigyyy (04-16-18), Jacket (04-03-18), tecman (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 07:51 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Well Done! I have done just about the same, Excellent writing and illustration!
Old 04-03-18, 08:10 AM
hzhao
Racer

Here is what I have done: I didn't fishing the cables since I have the black leather and was not much of cosmetic issues with that little tail

Old 04-03-18, 08:37 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

hzhao, yes i agree. black leather sorta blends in with the black wiring, no need to hide wires through the seat. Mine is sepia, black wires would stick out like an eye sore lol
The following users liked this post:
patgilm (04-07-18)
Old 04-03-18, 08:44 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by tuandino
hzhao, yes i agree. black leather sorta blends in with the black wiring, no need to hide wires through the seat. Mine is sepia, black wires would stick out like an eye sore lol
I hear ya
Old 04-12-18, 09:07 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Tuandino, I really like that specific entertainment unit that you bought and installed there in your GX460. Does it have a rechargeable battery that it comes with, or does it always have to be plugged into a 12V source?

I couldn't find it on the ebay sale page.

Thanks and great job on the write-up!
Old 04-13-18, 01:55 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gxxr
Tuandino, I really like that specific entertainment unit that you bought and installed there in your GX460. Does it have a rechargeable battery that it comes with, or does it always have to be plugged into a 12V source?

I couldn't find it on the ebay sale page.

Thanks and great job on the write-up!
mine does not have rechargeable battery. I've seen units that have rechargeable battery built in on ebay, but those units do not have DVD function though. Not sure why the link i posted in the 1st post doesn't work. You can also go to ebay site directly and enter this in to the search box "11.6" 1080P HD Touch Button HDMI/FM/IR/USB/Game Car Monitor Headrest DVD Player"
Old 04-13-18, 02:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

I'd do this if I had kids or regularly transported back seat passengers. My 2nd and 3rd row are normally always down though.
Old 04-13-18, 04:07 PM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

This is great! I bought my GX used and it came with an aftermarket entertainment system but recently conked out I want to replace it but I haven't figured out how to remove the back panels of the seat? Can you provide any insight, pictures or how-to's to doing it?

EDIT - never mind I just saw the pdf you attached to the original post. thanks!

Last edited by Trijicon; 04-13-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 11:11 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you Tuandino!
Old 04-16-18, 07:32 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

After 2 weeks, the ebay units are still working good. I did some more research, the android based tablet also uses the same connection and mount. Which means that, I can always upgrade mine to latest and greatest rear seat tablet unit without rewiring if i choose to. All I need is just to remove the unit from the headrest mount, and plug new one in.
Old 06-26-18, 01:29 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Aftermarket Rear Seat Entertainment Options

I am in the market for a fully loaded 2017 GX with luxury, driver support, and sport package. I would also like to find one with rear seat entertainment, but I am finding that almost no GXs that I can find have the factory rear seat entertainment.

I searched this forum for threads, but everything seems a bit old.

For those that have aftermarket entertainment systems, which ones did you install, and would you recommend them?

I would like to find a headrest unit that looks nice, blends in well, and is good quality. I also need to find something that plays DVDs since I have a ton of kid movies on that media. The DVD need prevents me from just getting a mount for the iPad.

My searches online have led me to an Audiovox set that matches the Lexus headrest colors. I am immediately wary because I remember a long time ago that Audiovox was the worst possible option for anything audio/video. Has that changed? Here is a link to the set I am looking at.
https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/c...year-2017.html

If I could find a good aftermarket entertainment system then I hope to be able to find my GX much more quickly.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
Old 06-26-18, 03:20 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I am in the market for a fully loaded 2017 GX with luxury, driver support, and sport package. I would also like to find one with rear seat entertainment, but I am finding that almost no GXs that I can find have the factory rear seat entertainment.

I searched this forum for threads, but everything seems a bit old.

For those that have aftermarket entertainment systems, which ones did you install, and would you recommend them?

I would like to find a headrest unit that looks nice, blends in well, and is good quality. I also need to find something that plays DVDs since I have a ton of kid movies on that media. The DVD need prevents me from just getting a mount for the iPad.

My searches online have led me to an Audiovox set that matches the Lexus headrest colors. I am immediately wary because I remember a long time ago that Audiovox was the worst possible option for anything audio/video. Has that changed? Here is a link to the set I am looking at.
https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/c...year-2017.html

If I could find a good aftermarket entertainment system then I hope to be able to find my GX much more quickly.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
There are several of members have done so. Here is what I have done and ones I used were from Amazon, so far has been worked flawlessly and serve the purposes. Here is the Amazon link:
Amazon Amazon

MagnumP45 (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 08:07 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
There are several of members have done so. Here is what I have done and ones I used were from Amazon, so far has been worked flawlessly and serve the purposes. Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thank you! That looks nice and clean. Can you take them out and put back in pretty easy if you want?
Old 06-27-18, 04:55 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by MagnumP45

thank you! That looks nice and clean. Can you take them out and put back in pretty easy if you want?
Yes. One thumb screw and one single multi-pin plug. I also made a black fabric soft cover just like OEM ones, and blended with interior even better when is not in use.

MagnumP45 (06-27-18)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rear Seat Entertainment Options