GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking for some advice on AT tires for the Gx460

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 10:36 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepsride
Just pulled the trigger on the Nitto RidgeGrappler. I will be getting them installed on Monday. Thanks for the help
Again, when I got the Nitto Trail Grapplers they were “squirrelly” for the first 200-odd miles to where I thought I made a huge mistake moving away from BFG’s ... but they became stable shortly thereafter with very good performance. Like new motorcycle tires ... they acted like they were coated with release agent that needed to be scrubbed off.
Old 05-10-19, 05:17 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Again, when I got the Nitto Trail Grapplers they were “squirrelly” for the first 200-odd miles to where I thought I made a huge mistake moving away from BFG’s ... but they became stable shortly thereafter with very good performance. Like new motorcycle tires ... they acted like they were coated with release agent that needed to be scrubbed off.
I get the motorcycle tires analogy, it can get a bit dicey. I will let you know how this goes. I get them put on Monday
Old 05-13-19, 09:40 AM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is a fantastic tire ... last forever (60,000++) and have excellent performance on dry, wet and are almost as good as most dedicated snow tires in the frozen stuff ... BUT they look like Soccer Mom tires.
FWIW, I've been a fan of the Michelin LTX M/S for a long time. I've run them on a Chevy Suburban, Ford Expedition, Jeep Wrangler TJ and JKU, and a Jeep Liberty. Wonderful tires in most conditions, no problems with holes (except for the vandal who drilled a half dozen screws into the exposed spare tire sidewall on the rear mount of my Jeep - but that's a different story), and great longevity. I certainly consider them a great potential choice for my GX. Although I wouldn't mind something that looks a bit more aggressive.
Old 05-13-19, 02:54 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

On looks alone I really like the new Ridge Grapplers. We just had some insane rain that I got caught in after I had the tires installed. For those who are familiar with heavy Florida rain you can understand. There was a lot of flooding and standing water. I was able to maintain 40 mph which was way to fast for the conditions with only minor hydroplaning. (very open road) This was a very good result from these tires. The water was BAD. (There was a river going across the road that flooded out a Honda Civic) So my first take on the tires is they have good wet handling and resist hydroplaning. I am not able to say much about cabin noise yet due to the very wet roads. I will update with more observations. 265-60-18 Stock size

Last edited by Stepsride; 05-13-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 02:56 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

On looks alone I really like the new Ridge Grapplers. We just had some insane rain that I got caught in after I had the tires installed. For those who are familiar with heavy Florida rain can understand. There was a lot of flooding and standing water. I was able to maintain 40 mph which was way to fast for the conditions with only minor hydroplaning. (very open road) This was a very good result from these tires. The water was BAD. (There was a river going across the road that flooded out a Honda Civic) So my first take on the tires is they have good wet handling and resist hydroplaning. I am not able to say much about cabin noise yet due to the very wet roads. I will update with more observations.

The following 6 users liked this post by Stepsride:
Acrad (05-13-19), bbqsoup (05-13-19), ltsr (05-14-19), mehotz (09-30-19), Philly01 (05-14-19), tigmd99 (05-13-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-19, 03:26 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Those look beefy!
Thanks for the pics. How is the noise at cruising speed?
Old 05-14-19, 06:39 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Those look beefy!
Thanks for the pics. How is the noise at cruising speed?
I will follow up in a few tanks of gas to wear off the newness. Initial thoughts: Running at 36PSI cold.
1. these are NOT the E rated. 265/60R18 114S XL (Load 2601) compared to old Bridgestone HP - (2300 ish)
2. These are FL roads so the NE or rust belt states with some pretty bad roads may have a different result - I did not notice any difference with ride harshness (wife confirmed). Currently, I would say same as stock - reminder they have less than 100 miles so time will tell.
3. WET Weather - See above post - Very good
4. Noise - I used the DB meter app on my phone.Stock I was getting 75-79 Db - NOW 76-80 Db - There is a different tonal quality that these tires give off. You hear a little higher pitch of road noise than the stock tires. However it is minimal. When the radio is on you do not hear tires. My biggest fear was the monster tire whine as you increase in speed. It does not happen.

Again these are NEW tires with less than 100 miles. Time will tell and and I will keep up the posts maybe after each oil change.

MORE TO COME after 500 miles

Last edited by Stepsride; 05-14-19 at 06:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stepsride:
bbqsoup (10-03-19), tigmd99 (05-14-19)
Old 05-14-19, 08:53 AM
henfield
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Duratrac is more off road/commercial than you need it to be. The LTX MS2 is a fantastic tire that I've had two sets last 140k between them. It gripped well on my dirt road even with snow.
But if you are thinking a little more off road (and therefore a slight compromise on road), the BFG AT looks the part and does a great job. Not sure why it isn't on your list.

General AT2 has some followers as well

Show her some of the pictures of your favorites, let her chose.
Old 05-14-19, 12:07 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by henfield
I think the Duratrac is more off road/commercial than you need it to be. The LTX MS2 is a fantastic tire that I've had two sets last 140k between them. It gripped well on my dirt road even with snow.
But if you are thinking a little more off road (and therefore a slight compromise on road), the BFG AT looks the part and does a great job. Not sure why it isn't on your list.

General AT2 has some followers as well

Show her some of the pictures of your favorites, let her chose.
Your last point was the final determining factor. She chose! The General AT2 were on the list but my wife said you already have those on the kids Grand Cherokee.(Great tires by the way) The LTX is a long time favorite of mine however "It did not look cool enough." Sorry for the technical jargon.... LOL, However I have never been a KO2 fan. I did not like the fact that they are E rated and I knew from what I have read and experienced that the ride would be affected. My past experience with BFG tires has not been a good one. I think it may be my dumb luck. You are right they have more great ratings than any tires I have read about. However I got 3 bad sets in a row of one tire and 2 bad sets of another. It happens...
Old 05-14-19, 01:26 PM
ASE
Pole Position

4. Noise - I used the DB meter app on my phone.Stock I was getting 75-79 Db - NOW 76-80 Db - There is a different tonal quality that these tires give off. You hear a little higher pitch of road noise than the stock tires. However it is minimal. When the radio is on you do not hear tires. My biggest fear was the monster tire whine as you increase in speed. It does not happen.
The Nitto "marketing speak" on their tread design emphasizing noise reduction is no BS in my experience ... my Terra Grappler's were amazingly quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern, but then do start to sing beyond 50% tread wear but not by much. All about regular rotation and balance. The one thing about Nitto's ... they do stay round for the life of the tire. I ditched BFG A/T's years ago given they were impossible to keep round beyond 50% tread wear.

Last edited by ASE; 05-14-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 09:52 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ll be the wild card here and say “Toyo AT/2”

slight hum at highway speeds, solid in the rain and they look as aggressive as they can without being a MT.

i live in Seattle and have dedicated winter tires but rain is a big deal the rest of the year so I chose something with deep tread that will be good in the rain but can also some light off road.

Overall, I think they are a good value.
Old 05-15-19, 05:30 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caesosa
I’ll be the wild card here and say “Toyo AT/2”

slight hum at highway speeds, solid in the rain and they look as aggressive as they can without being a MT.

i live in Seattle and have dedicated winter tires but rain is a big deal the rest of the year so I chose something with deep tread that will be good in the rain but can also some light off road.

Overall, I think they are a good value.
TOYO and NITTO are the same company ... with NITTO being the more "designer" of the two, putting extra emphasis on the looks.
Old 05-16-19, 05:44 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
TOYO and NITTO are the same company ... with NITTO being the more "designer" of the two, putting extra emphasis on the looks.
Well sort of. Yes Nitto has great marketing by supporting its niche. But this is on of the better marketing success stories backed up by very good products in specific segments of that market. This is an old article but pretty good read if you are into this sort of stuff https://www.tirereview.com/with-a-bi...underdog-role/
Old 05-16-19, 06:04 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the Nitto above sidewall 2-ply?
Old 05-16-19, 07:15 PM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Consider Cooper Discoverer AT3 and newer XLT version: excellent on and off-road handling wet or dry, which is I'm currently running. Past tires: Firestone Destination AT 2 is also a great option. The less aggressive and softer is the Yokohama G105.

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice on AT tires for the Gx460