GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sequential Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 08:07 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Does this mean they tried to increase cost of shipping on you? or do you mean if they used Fedex or DHL, it would have costed less to ship?
They emailed me that FedEx cost will be much higher as quoted due to minimum volume pricing. I expressed that I was not happy as this should be very much up front information to be provided. At the end, I agreed use EMS for their published shipping rate.
Old 03-17-20, 08:18 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree. I worked with EMS before and they are by far the worst shipping company to work with. However, I don't agree with them that shipping with DHL is expensive. From prior experience it is about the same price as EMS if not even less.
Old 03-17-20, 08:22 AM
hzhao
Racer

I agree. I worked with EMS before and they are by far the worst shipping company to work with. However, I don't agree with them that shipping with DHL is expensive. From prior experience it is about the same price as EMS if not even less.
True in part. However, it is very much how you setup the account with the carrier and projected routine volume of businesses with the carrier. In any case, as long as the goods get to me with reasonable casts and timely, I am OK with it.
Old 03-17-20, 03:27 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

in to see what they look like with better pics!
Old 03-18-20, 07:23 PM
DBLex1
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed. I’m curious to see as well.
Old 03-19-20, 08:57 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks good!! Are they plug and play? I thought there was a change in the harness beginning 2017? I also don't see any reflectors on the side of the light... Probably not DOT compliant?
Old 03-19-20, 10:03 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Chasin
Looks good!! Are they plug and play? I thought there was a change in the harness beginning 2017? I also don't see any reflectors on the side of the light... Probably not DOT compliant?
I don’t believe the lights will be DOT approved as many other after market products. For one, if the turn signal is sequential, it will be for sure not comply with current DOT regulation due to its initial emitted area and intensity. Another area will be the side marker. From the photo, it didn’t appear there is one, which in many outside US markets, rear side marker is not required. With all those being said, it is a sort of gray area for consumers to using after market lights. I have not experienced or seen anyone who has been stopped and citied for customer lights (assumed you are not going too far). I have used Asian spec sequential turn signals on my 2016 LX haven’t had any problem. One thing that Toyota has been doing (ex. on Avalon) is using the reversed sequential turn signal to get by the DOT requirement, meaning it will light up full then distinguished in sequence. Whether DOT will make any revision on the regulations due to more technologies became available in lighting, such as laser technology which is not allowed in US, we just have to wait and see. At meantime, it is really a personal judgement and preference call to use those after market ones.

Just a quick update, my order was shipped on 03/17 and hopefully will be showing up soon.......
Old 03-19-20, 10:20 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
To clarify the harness change, it was just LED harness connector, not the tail light to body connector. This means you cannot use 2010-2016 tail light harnesses on 2017+ tail lights. We don't know what the new tail lights being discussed in this thread will be like.

The following users liked this post:
Chasin (07-20-20)
Old 03-21-20, 07:33 AM
hzhao
Racer

Finally saw some lighting at the other end of the tunnel. It finally showed up in US port of entry. Hopefully to see it in couple days. Stay tuned and fingers crossed.

The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Chasin (03-21-20), craigrpete (04-13-20)
Old 03-23-20, 02:37 PM
hzhao
Racer

After waited for a week, the tail lights showed up this morning. I gave the Seller a five star on order process, shipping and package, it was well packaged with double boxes, even with ply wood box for protection. Lights arrived without any scratches or damages.

Look at lights, the design, engineering, and building quality are pretty good. Compare to OEM lights, all details and fittings are all comparable. The new lights even added Lexus like air flow deflectors at side, but I don't think it actually serves any dynamic purpose rather for cosmetic reasons.But I have to give them the credit, it does make the lights more OEM and high end looking for sure. Installation is pretty much Plug-N-Play. It even included load resistor which does needed for OEM flasher relay on the GX. If any of you has switched the relay for auto lane change flasher as I have done, the new relay will support LED without resistors, but I leave it on anyway. The fit is pretty much spot on with a slight gap at the bottom. Two reasons may contributed to that, a) create didn't want to be in legal trouble if he used exactly the same design from Lexus; b) to using the unified design and sizing to fit both Lexus and Toyota LC. In either way, it is not a big of the deal from overall appearance.

The tail lights set also come with the bottom inserts at bumper where the OEM cable attached and with the additional guides for secure the lights in position. The new insert is somewhat a bit out of alignment as well as in slight different size. I ended up using the original ones just fine. My guess those either fits with GX in other markets, or it may used by Toyota LC Prado. Here is the photo compare the GX OEM one (left) with the new one (right):

The result and effect are very good. The "L" shape tail/parking lights are very much Lexus alike on LX and other Lexus models. The break lights which is the portion on top next to "L" are brighter and same intense with center break light. The sequential turn signal is very nice with the wrapped around effects, which is very thoughtful given it is relatively short in length. Look from behind, it definitely made the GX stand out in luxury crowd. I am just wondering why Lexus didn't do that in first place..... Anyway, here are few photos and video clips to share for everyone's reference:

Due to the angle of shot, the break lights didn't show the full intense, it actually looks very good. Overall, the lights blend into the GX style very well, more OEM looks than after market. Those are my initial opinion on them. Now will see how well it holds up over the time.
The following 8 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (03-23-20), ltsr (03-23-20), MiamiGX (08-12-20), Mojlnir (03-23-20), nuclearn8 (03-23-20), ObsidianBl (03-23-20), tecman (03-23-20), tuandino (03-24-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-20, 02:55 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That bottom gap is eye soaring now since you have mentioned it. I think if you didn't bring it up, I would have not noticed it from pictures.
Old 03-23-20, 02:58 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

thanks for posting. do you have a photo of before with the original tail lights? or anyone else with factory 2014+ clear lights. I think that gap is there.
Old 03-23-20, 03:04 PM
hzhao
Racer

That bottom gap is eye soaring now since you have mentioned it. I think if you didn't bring it up, I would have not noticed it from pictures.
I could have remove that remark if it would make you feel better

For all the fairness, I want to give all the facts and avoid any misleading or realistic expectation for anyone who wants to do the same. One more comment that I could add since we are on the subject, I wish they could do a little better job on the side of the tail lights. It is a bit boring compare to the rear.

Now I am done with all the negative points. At the end, I do like it and without any regrets.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (03-23-20), ltsr (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 03:09 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ltsr
thanks for posting. do you have a photo of before with the original tail lights? or anyone else with factory 2014+ clear lights. I think that gap is there.
I didn’t take a photo before. Maybe someone on the forum can offer one. Now you mentioned it, I am not sure if there is a gap to begin with. I thought it wasn’t there or at least didn’t notice. It could be the result of actually color and shape of the lights. The body of the new lights is actually a bit “fat” compare to the OEM ones.
Old 03-23-20, 03:12 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hzhao
I didn’t take a photo before. Maybe someone on the forum can offer one. Now you mentioned it, I am not sure if there is a gap to begin with. I thought it wasn’t there or at least didn’t notice. It could be the result of actually color and shape of the lights. The body of the new lights is actually a bit “fat” compare to the OEM ones.
I only brought this up because I put a set of red 2010-2013 tail lights on my 2018 starfire pearl and noticed the same gap you mentioned. I don't want this to be a sore subject and keep bringing it up. But I think it's normal, at least on my GX.
The following users liked this post:
NWMudHorn (04-09-20)

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail lights