GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trailer hitch platform bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 03:12 PM
bagom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Saris SuperClamp EX 4 bike hitch. Of all the times installed and used it, I never tried to open the back door with no bikes. I will let you know if you can open the back door.
Old 04-21-20, 06:32 PM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out Performance Bike XPORT FLATBED 2DXL. I bought one 25 years ago that I still use to this day. Performance Bike has to the best of my knowledge closed all of there retail shops, but they are still online sellers. The above model is still available for $199.95. and it does have a lever that allows the rack to drop down so you can get in the back of the GX. I still can't believe that same rack is still available, believe it or not I still remember that I paid at that time $150.00.
Old 04-21-20, 09:55 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I have the Kuat NV 2.0 rack on my GX460, and it works great. The rack tips down with a foot lever, but the rear barn door won't clear unless you remove the bikes. If you fold the bike holding arms down, the rear door will open just fine without having to tip the rack down. It's a great rack and rock solid; whether it's holding my 20lb carbon gravel bike or 2 60lb E-Bikes. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Look for one when REI has their semi-annual 20% off sale.

These racks are great ... but do need a good red reflector so the car following behind doesn't poke a hole in their radiator at a stop light. This is especially necessary for the 4x version.
Old 04-22-20, 08:39 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
These racks are great ... but do need a good red reflector so the car following behind doesn't poke a hole in their radiator at a stop light. This is especially necessary for the 4x version.
Hadn't thought of that with the reflector! Heck is some tool is following that close behind me and hits the rack, he's gonna be buying me a new $5000 carbon bike!
Old 04-22-20, 09:17 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Hadn't thought of that with the reflector! Heck is some tool is following that close behind me and hits the rack, he's gonna be buying me a new $5000 carbon bike!
Actually it would probably be your fault ... check your state requirements on rear red reflector requirements ... and also check on red flag (daytime) rules as well. Also, most states are militant about the rear license plate being 100% visible ... so require physical relocation to the bike rack ... and same goes for the rear running, brake lights and turn signals. I have experienced being pulled over for these "infractions" ... any reason to collect ticket quotas and to check out if you have had too many beers.

In the meantime, at least remove the water bottles for improved license plate visibility.

Last edited by ASE; 04-22-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 09:21 AM
Kmellinger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garylbarr
Check out Performance Bike XPORT FLATBED 2DXL. I bought one 25 years ago that I still use to this day. Performance Bike has to the best of my knowledge closed all of there retail shops, but they are still online sellers. The above model is still available for $199.95. and it does have a lever that allows the rack to drop down so you can get in the back of the GX. I still can't believe that same rack is still available, believe it or not I still remember that I paid at that time $150.00.
thank you! I will look into the weight of the actual rack. I was liking the Kaut because it is just 32 pounds.
Old 04-22-20, 09:23 AM
Kmellinger
Driver School Candidate

I have the Kuat NV 2.0 rack on my GX460, and it works great. The rack tips down with a foot lever, but the rear barn door won't clear unless you remove the bikes. If you fold the bike holding arms down, the rear door will open just fine without having to tip the rack down. It's a great rack and rock solid; whether it's holding my 20lb carbon gravel bike or 2 60lb E-Bikes. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Look for one when REI has their semi-annual 20% off sale.

thank you! I will look into the weight of the actual rack and dimensions to compare the hitch height. I was liking the Kaut transfer because it is just 32 pounds but I believe it is newer so I haven’t heard now it would do with the swing door.
Old 04-22-20, 11:15 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kmellinger
thank you! I will look into the weight of the actual rack. I was liking the Kaut because it is just 32 pounds.
Remember unless the rack is made from aluminum or some exotic materiel less weight equates to cheap.
Old 04-22-20, 11:24 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Remember unless the rack is made from aluminum or some exotic materiel less weight equates to cheap.
The Kuat is aluminum and you won't find a better built or more sturdy rack. When you insert it into the receiver and turn the cam lock to tighten in down, there is ZERO wobble. You can jump on the rack and only the vehicle suspension moves. There's nothing cheap about a Kuat.
Old 04-22-20, 11:38 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Hey man you need to settle down, I qualified my statement by including aluminum as a light weight materiel, an what I said is absolutely true with no dis to your high $ rack.
Old 04-22-20, 11:48 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Hey man you need to settle down, I qualified my statement by including aluminum as a light weight materiel, an what I said is absolutely true with no dis to your high $ rack.
No need to settle down at all, I wasn't even responding to your comment, just letting everyone know the Kuat is pretty solid. Carry on.
Old 04-22-20, 12:20 PM
Kmellinger
Driver School Candidate

No need to settle down at all, I wasn't even responding to your comment, just letting everyone know the Kuat is pretty solid. Carry on.
I agree about Kuat being solid. The transfer is a new design that is U shaped so for short people like me I can walk the first bike into the rack to put on. This also takes away some of the weight since the crossbar is not there. I am printing out the specs of both the NV and Transfer to compare the height of the hitch. On your NV is it a two bike rack? It looks like a 1 bike version which I do not see on their website.
Old 04-22-20, 12:45 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kmellinger
I agree about Kuat being solid. The transfer is a new design that is U shaped so for short people like me I can walk the first bike into the rack to put on. This also takes away some of the weight since the crossbar is not there. I am printing out the specs of both the NV and Transfer to compare the height of the hitch. On your NV is it a two bike rack? It looks like a 1 bike version which I do not see on their website.
The NV is a two bike rack. In my pic, my bike is on the rear-most tray and the second tray closest to the hatch has the arms collapsed.
The following users liked this post:
Kmellinger (04-22-20)
Old 01-23-22, 09:47 AM
arags
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trailer hitch bike rack

This might already have been discussed, but I just wanted to post this in case it’s useful for anyone else. I used an 12” hitch extender and it works well with my $37 bike rack from harbor freight. The door almost clears the bike rack when it leans out (would begged of it was 13” ). I can make it swing open if I push down a little on the rack, but I will figure that out and maybe file it down a little. All in all about $70 in total. Will definitely work for me for taking the bikes around town
Here’s a pic of the setup

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-26-22)
Old 01-23-22, 12:31 PM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, I ordered this rack in hopes that the door would clear it and it does! (Ordered it on a 4th of july sale for $299)
Have not taken any pictures of it on the GX yet, but can next time it's on.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate..._image+%7D%7D-

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch platform bike rack