GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trailer hitch platform bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 05:36 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Bike Rack + Rear Spoiler Weight Question

I'm trying to install the trunk bike rack carrier, that I usually install on my bimmer sedan, on my 2011 GX 460. I've attached the pic of the installation. It requires the upper straps to come over the rear spoiler. What bothers me is that the tension in the upper straps may harm the rear spoiler module located on top of the door. Has anybody installed such bike carrier ? If yes and is the upper installation straps come over the rear spoiler, does the weight of the bikes cause any harm to the rear spoiler ?

I'm planning to get a hitch installed from the dealership and also purchasing the hitch bike carrier but was wondering if anybody has tried the trunk rack carrier.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch platform bike rack-img_1304.jpg   Trailer hitch platform bike rack-img_1300.jpg  
Old 11-14-10, 12:13 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll express an opinion ... it is advice only if you take it. Don't do this!

Consider how the spoiler, the rear window wiper and the pop-up window are designed. They are all one assembly. Pop open the window first, then open the side-swing door and it is obvious. The spoiler/wiper/window assembly is hinged to the top of the rear door.

By putting straps over the top of that assembly, you are leveraging the assembly by the weight of the rack and bikes, plus the tension in the straps. How much is too much? I don't know, but are you willing to find out ... the hard way?

In addition to the forces on the spoiler/wiper/window assembly, what will all the extra weight of rack and bikes do to the side-swing door? In particular, how will the side hinges handle all the extra weight and forces for which they were not designed? No, I don't know that either, but are you willing to risk that as well?

I won't mention that your pop-up window won't pop up, that your rear wiper may not wipe and that your side-swing rear door may not swing open once bicycles are loaded on the rack, but I am glad to hear that you are planning to install a hitch and to buy a hitch bike carrier!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. You have discovered yet one more reason why a side-swing rear door is not as good a design as a top-hinged lift gate and especially a split lift and drop gate as in the LX. I transported a tandem bicycle from Arizona to Delaware to Florida on the back of our LX without any concern, much less any problem.

Last edited by SaniDel; 11-15-10 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-14-10, 03:07 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I'll express an opinion ... it is advice only if you take it. Don't do this!

Consider how the spoiler, the rear window wiper and the pop-up window are designed. They are all one assembly. Pop open the window first, then open the side-swing door and it is obvious. The spoiler/wiper/window assembly is hinged to the top of the rear door.

By putting straps over the top of that assembly, you are leveraging the assembly by the wait of the rack and bikes, plus the tension in the straps. How much is too much? I don't know, but are you willing to find out ... the hard way?

In addition to the forces on the spoiler/wiper/window assembly, what will all the extra weight of rack and bikes do to the side-swing door? In particular, how will the side hinges handle all the extra weight and forces for which they were not designed. No, I don't know that either, but are you willing to risk that as well?

I won't mention that your pop-up window won't pop up, that your rear wiper may not wipe and that your side-swing rear door may not swing open once bicycles are loaded on the rack, but I am glad to hear that you are planning to install a hitch and to buy a hitch bike carrier!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. You have discovered yet one more reason why a side-swing rear door is not as good a design as a top-hinged lift gate and especially a split lift and drop gate as in the LX. I transported a tandem bicycle from Arizona to Delaware to Florida on the back of our LX without any concern, much less any problem.
I Agree! Take it off ASAP!

You may have already damaged the paint with those straps/clips.

Koz
Old 11-15-10, 07:27 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys.. this was just a test.. Never put any bikes on it... merely installed it and noticed that the straps above the spoiler being tight were kinda pressurizing it and hence the question. Will get a hitch and the bike rack mount or even better would be to get the roof top carrier for the bikes. That way the bikes won't interfere with the door. Wouldn't the hitch type carrier be an interference while opening the door. What say ?
Old 11-15-10, 07:55 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by sudhs
Wouldn't the hitch type carrier be an interference while opening the door. What say ?
No doubt, but it is the lesser of two evils.

You may be able to open the rear window with bikes mounted on a hitch type carrier, which would allow you to reach inside for smaller items. That is how we unload cargo with our GX backed into our garage. We bring home lots of stuff, but they are usually small enough to fit through the window opening. I can pull a case of wine through the opening, but not if it slides forward against the back of the second row seats ... my arms are neither long enough nor strong enough for that! ;-)

It has been a long time since I hauled bicycles, but what I recall is that the hitch carrier had a hinge that pivoted the brackets and the bicycles down and away from the vehicle. That allowed the rear hatch on the LX to open and may have cleared the drop gate as well. I doubt that any hitch carrier will clear the side swing door on the GX, but the rear window may provide the access you need.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-15-10, 05:14 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go with this for two bikes;

http://www.yakima.com/shop/factorycr...ts/frontloader

For four bikes I would go with this;

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-SwingDa.../dp/B0012SABAI

Koz
Old 11-16-10, 07:33 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does one person get the bikes up there. please tell me
Old 11-16-10, 09:52 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Here it is one Sewell sells.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2445.html

Personally I like hitch mounted better as you can easily remove them when not in use and easier to put bike on. Also if you mountain bike, you don't have to worry about all the dirt on the roof and scratching car if you are not tall enough to get it to the top.
Old 09-01-11, 10:37 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitch Bike Carriers

I plan to get a hitch bike carrier (4 bikes), and want to avoid the swing-away models. While looking at other models on the Thule and Yakima sites, I cannot tell if the "barn" door can fully open when the carrier is folded down. Looks like they are primarily designed for the lift-up tailgates. Any suggestions? What do you have?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-11, 05:27 AM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Hollywood, and it is awesome!

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-...tch-rack-4.htm
Old 09-02-11, 10:49 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxgxmdx
I plan to get a hitch bike carrier (4 bikes), and want to avoid the swing-away models. While looking at other models on the Thule and Yakima sites, I cannot tell if the "barn" door can fully open when the carrier is folded down. Looks like they are primarily designed for the lift-up tailgates. Any suggestions? What do you have?

Thanks.
I suggest you "try before you buy"!

We had (past tense) a hitch bike carrier that worked great with an LX, but the LX had a split lift/drop gate. The bike carrier pivoted down, which 'landed' the bikes on their wheels and still allowed room to open either gate. We transported a tandem across the country on the back of an LX with no problems.

The GX "barn door" is an entirely different proposition since it is one piece and swings horizontally. Frankly, I would be surprised if any hitch bike carrier would clear that! If you find one that works please let us know the make and model. Even better if you can post pictures showing how it does that.

Fortunately, the pop-up rear window allows access for smaller items.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-02-11, 02:06 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Thanks both for your suggestions -

The Hollywood Sport Rider 4 looks great, with a 5-star rating on Amazon. It is a strong candidate.

The guy at REI told me that Yakima used to have a Flipside model that flips completely to one side, but it had been recalled for safety reasons. I will look into other models.
Old 09-02-11, 02:55 PM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rxgxmdx
... and want to avoid the swing-away models.
I'm curious as to why you want to avoid the swing away models? They seem like the perfect match for the GX.

Last edited by closenough; 09-02-11 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-02-11, 08:03 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

The swing-away models are too heavy. My wife needs to be able to handle it on her own .
Old 09-03-11, 04:57 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thats a great design. will keep that in mind. i need to put a hitch on my gx

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch platform bike rack