GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Installed Toytec Aluma Boss Series 2.0 Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21 | 03:56 PM
CheddieBoi
Driver School Candidate

Default Installed Toytec Aluma Boss Series 2.0 Lift

Hey everyone!

I finally kicked off the build on my 2018 GX460 Premium with the install of the Toytec Aluma Series Boss 2.0 suspension lift paired with Icon Delta Joint Upper Control Arms. I haven't seen anyone else post about this lift, and even more so about this particular setup for that matter, so I figured I'd share my thoughts!
This is definitely on the more "entry level" side of lift kits, but I had to have an honest conversation with myself about what it would be used for; which would mainly be daily driving with scattered weekend trips to some ranch land out here in South Texas. I simply wanted to fit some larger tires and gain some clearance to rip through the land and gravel, all without breaking the bank.

Parts Installed:
Toytec Boss 2.0 Front Aluma Series Coilovers (TTLK204R)
Toytec Front Diff Drop Kit (RM83011 / TAC-DR-05)
Toytec 2.0 Aluma Series IFP Rear Shocks (LKFJ20R-P)
Toytec Superflex Rear Coils (RCC2.0-P)
Icon Tubular Upper Control Arm Delta Joint (ICN58451DJ)
Icon Upper C/A Caps (It's BS they don't come with these caps... cost $45 but the kit didn't feel complete without them)

Resulted Lift (Center Hub to Fender):
Front: 3"
Rear: 2.25"

I ended up taking a long weekend trip to the snow up in North NM (~1100 mile trip) and I have been left absolutely impressed with the ride quality and feel this suspension provided. The steering tightened up nicely, just enough to remove some of the play that comes from factory; and it dampened the impact of bumps and potholes in the road. It definitely feels like an upgrade from stock- unfortunately, I can't quite comment on more serious offroad use, but from snow and gravel the car feels planted and in control.

I'd be more than happy to share more thoughts if anyone is interested! Next on my list if a Prinsu Roof Rack and new tires for those hill country trips!
Finally, pictures!

Before:

After:

Complete Setup:

Overpriced $45 UCA Caps:

Obligatory first trip picture:

The following 7 users liked this post by CheddieBoi:
bbqsoup (01-26-21), Carnevino (02-17-23), IanB2 (01-27-21), kode3 (01-26-21), Lavrishevo (01-27-21), Shawn1234 (04-06-23), Soap (01-28-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-21 | 04:43 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Nice!!!. It looks like a good upgrade for non-air system. May I ask how much the whole setup cost if you don't mind sharing.
New tires coming soon too?
Old 01-27-21 | 08:30 AM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Also curious on how this holds up! I believe these systems are made by Elka in Canada and I was also looking at their 2.0 lift, although I'd likely only go 2". My GX also has rear air unfortunately. Looks pretty quality.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (01-30-21)
Old 01-28-21 | 09:36 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Also curious on cost and where did you have the work done?
Old 01-29-21 | 12:52 PM
CheddieBoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Nice!!!. It looks like a good upgrade for non-air system. May I ask how much the whole setup cost if you don't mind sharing.
New tires coming soon too?
Originally Posted by Soap
Also curious on cost and where did you have the work done?
I'd be happy to share the costs and breakdown! Unfortunately, couldn't perform the install myself- so I'll break it all down. I got help from a local shop in my area, Black Jack Speed Shop in San Antonio. They have been performing lift kit installs for our local dealership, and came recommended from Toytec themselves.

I've got a Prinsu Roofrack coming in on Tuesday, and should have a decision on tires by end of the week.

Toytec Coilovers, Rear Shocks, Rear Coils, Diff Drop: $1,578.97
(Same Price as direct from Toytec Website)
Icon Tubular Upper Control Arm Delta Joint: $ 749.95
Labor (5 hrs) $ 500.00
Shop Supplies $ 10.00
Alignment $ 100.00
Sales Tax $ 242.46
Total: $3,181.38

I had battled with myself for a while about getting Ironman's FoamCell Stage 2 (more affordable) but I liked the technology on the Icon UCA Delta Joint. I didn't truly feel as if I would make good use of the 2.5" Coilover - if I did, I probably would have gone with Icon's complete Stage 2 kit. Kind of a Frankenstein, but at least I know this build is my own
The following 3 users liked this post by CheddieBoi:
2chains (01-30-21), Shawn1234 (02-18-23), Soap (01-30-21)
Old 01-30-21 | 06:53 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cltchmoney
Also curious on how this holds up! I believe these systems are made by Elka in Canada and I was also looking at their 2.0 lift, although I'd likely only go 2". My GX also has rear air unfortunately. Looks pretty quality.
I think you're right, that Toytec's Aluma series stuff is made for them by Elka, should be nice stuff!
Old 02-16-23 | 11:54 AM
SDRider
Rookie

Sorry to bump but I have a 2.5" lift on my GX and I'm thinking of going to a 265/65R18 tire on my stock wheels as these 275/70R17 Falcon Wildpeaks are heavy and a bit noisy on the freeway so I'm thinking of just going back to the stock wheels with slightly larger street tires for my daily driving and just keep the off-road wheels for when I go wheelin'. Will there be much of a weight difference between the 265/65R18 tire and a 265/70R18 tire? I know they are both narrower than what I'm running now. The added weight isn't helping my fuel economy and it seems like the engine is working harder with the larger, heavier off-road tires which is totally unnecessary for daily driving. I'm thinking a slightly smaller, lighter and less aggressive tread tire would be an all around better daily driver than what I have on there now. I still have the OEM wheels with the stock 265/60R18 tires on them and they only have 5k miles on them. This is my lifted 2022 GX460.

Shawn1234 (02-18-23)
Old 02-16-23 | 12:24 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SDRider
Sorry to bump but I have a 2.5" lift on my GX and I'm thinking of going to a 265/65R18 tire on my stock wheels as these 275/70R17 Falcon Wildpeaks are heavy and a bit noisy on the freeway so I'm thinking of just going back to the stock wheels with slightly larger street tires for my daily driving and just keep the off-road wheels for when I go wheelin'. Will there be much of a weight difference between the 265/65R18 tire and a 265/70R18 tire? I know they are both narrower than what I'm running now. The added weight isn't helping my fuel economy and it seems like the engine is working harder with the larger, heavier off-road tires which is totally unnecessary for daily driving. I'm thinking a slightly smaller, lighter and less aggressive tread tire would be an all around better daily driver than what I have on there now. I still have the OEM wheels with the stock 265/60R18 tires on them and they only have 5k miles on them. This is my lifted 2022 GX460.
Take a look at Discount Tire, they list specs for their tires including weight. If you look at a street tire option, e.g. the Michelin Defenders, the weight diff is considerable 37.88lb for the 265/65/18 vs 52.05lb for the 265/70/18.

Peacebay (02-17-23)
Old 04-06-23 | 05:50 AM
Shawn1234
2nd gear

Originally Posted by CheddieBoi
Hey everyone!

I finally kicked off the build on my 2018 GX460 Premium with the install of the Toytec Aluma Series Boss 2.0 suspension lift paired with Icon Delta Joint Upper Control Arms. I haven't seen anyone else post about this lift, and even more so about this particular setup for that matter, so I figured I'd share my thoughts!
This is definitely on the more "entry level" side of lift kits, but I had to have an honest conversation with myself about what it would be used for; which would mainly be daily driving with scattered weekend trips to some ranch land out here in South Texas. I simply wanted to fit some larger tires and gain some clearance to rip through the land and gravel, all without breaking the bank.

Parts Installed:
Toytec Boss 2.0 Front Aluma Series Coilovers (TTLK204R)
Toytec Front Diff Drop Kit (RM83011 / TAC-DR-05)
Toytec 2.0 Aluma Series IFP Rear Shocks (LKFJ20R-P)
Toytec Superflex Rear Coils (RCC2.0-P)
Icon Tubular Upper Control Arm Delta Joint (ICN58451DJ)
Icon Upper C/A Caps (It's BS they don't come with these caps... cost $45 but the kit didn't feel complete without them)

Resulted Lift (Center Hub to Fender):
Front: 3"
Rear: 2.25"

I ended up taking a long weekend trip to the snow up in North NM (~1100 mile trip) and I have been left absolutely impressed with the ride quality and feel this suspension provided. The steering tightened up nicely, just enough to remove some of the play that comes from factory; and it dampened the impact of bumps and potholes in the road. It definitely feels like an upgrade from stock- unfortunately, I can't quite comment on more serious offroad use, but from snow and gravel the car feels planted and in control.

I'd be more than happy to share more thoughts if anyone is interested! Next on my list if a Prinsu Roof Rack and new tires for those hill country trips!
Finally, pictures!

Before:

After:

Complete Setup:

Overpriced $45 UCA Caps:

Obligatory first trip picture:

What is your 2 year impression? I am thinking of the same lift on my 21 - with a similar use. 🙏