GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 06:40 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

This is an interesting topic and got me to do a little more digging. Here is some definitions from our discussion from Curt ManufacturesWhat is a receiver hitch?

A receiver hitch is a type of trailer hitch that bolts onto the underside of a vehicle, at the rear, and provides a tube for attaching a ball mount or other hitch accessory. Receiver hitches generally have a vehicle-specific design, a standard receiver tube size and fall within one of five hitch classes.

A receiver hitch is perhaps the most common type of trailer hitch. So common, in fact, that the two terms are used interchangeably

What is a tow hitch?

A tow hitch is simply another name for a trailer hitch. It is a hitch used for towing a trailer.

Usually, tow hitch refers specifically to a receiver hitch. However, a 5th wheel hitch, gooseneck hitch and other hitches may be called tow hitches. All trailer hitches -- or tow hitches -- are designed for a specific use and rated for specific weight capacities

What Is Towing Capacity?

Towing capacity is the maximum amount of weight your vehicle can tow when pulling a trailer. It is determined by the vehicle manufacturer and takes into account the GVWR, GAWR, GTW and more.

What does towing capacity mean? Very simply, it is how heavy your trailer can be.

Max towing capacity should always be observed in any towing situation. Exceeding this capacity -- or towing more weight than your vehicle is rated for -- is extremely dangerous. Be smart and know your vehicle's limits

The GX towing capacity is 6500 lbs. If you need to tow more than that you got to get a bigger vehicle.
Old 03-26-22, 07:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,020 Likes on 681 Posts

My point is that the GX460 (as a vehicle) is rated for 6,500 towing ... but only when the Class IV (full-on) hitch is installed ... not when the Class III (receiver) hitch is installed. Most owners only know that they have a "hitch" installed ... leading to a potentially bad outcome for those towing a heavier payload using the Class III (receiver) hitch. My opinion ... any "hitch" installed on a vehicle should match the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle ... plug-n-play with no overload risk for those that do not know the difference.

Last edited by ASE; 03-26-22 at 08:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
catdaddylo (03-26-22), ChrisInSD (02-13-23)
Old 05-05-22, 11:42 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ramachk
Please have a look at the tow beam. There are just two holes underneath. The video clearly shows 4 bolts in which the curt model fits in. Or am I not seeing something? Please can you post some pics of your setup? Thank you.
Late reply, was researching info on hitches and saw a bracket which reminded me of this thread:

Your GX looks to be missing the 'sub assembly bracket' part# 51908WY010 (search the number to see more). My GX (Oct/Nov production, US specs) came with the bracket which the Curt bolts up to.

There's one on ebay [no affiliation] that shows more detail as well as the needed bolts to attach it.

Last edited by GX4602011; 05-05-22 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (10-27-23)
Old 05-07-22, 09:33 AM
JimboLG
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Agreed overall - but OEM availability is the issue

Originally Posted by ASE
My point is that the GX460 (as a vehicle) is rated for 6,500 towing ... but only when the Class IV (full-on) hitch is installed ... not when the Class III (receiver) hitch is installed. Most owners only know that they have a "hitch" installed ... leading to a potentially bad outcome for those towing a heavier payload using the Class III (receiver) hitch. My opinion ... any "hitch" installed on a vehicle should match the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle ... plug-n-play with no overload risk for those that do not know the difference.
This is 100% accurate. But OEM Class IV hitches are not available, and a majority of aftermarket hitches (including full frame mount) are only Class III. I would agree, you should always purchase a hitch that is at or above the maximum rated towing (Class IV in most cases). Easier still, purchase the towing package or OEM hitch when buying the vehicle. Unfortunately, that isn't currently possible with the Lexus GX. Even finding info on that is a hunt around the interwebs, and the dealership had no idea.
So I bought the Class III knowing all the pros and cons, considering it a temporary solution until OEM supply improves. It is inexpensive, a clean fit easy install, and looks good (not protruding out far beyond the bumper like others). It is rated for 5,000 lbs which covers a majority of use with the exception of a medium trailer or travel trailer.

Last edited by JimboLG; 05-07-22 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimboLG:
ballistice (05-08-22), Kisel17 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 06:48 AM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
What drives me insane is that while Lexus rates vehicle towing capacity ... that is TOTALLY dependent on the hitch. So when people see a "receiver" installed ... they assume it is at the vehicle maximum rated capacity. A "receiver" is NOT the same as a "full-on hitch". Go with a Class IV (full-on) hitch.
A class 3 is a hitch with just a lower weight rating of 5,000lbs towing capacity and 500lb weight distribution tongue capacity. It is no different other than less mounting points and capacity.

And I already mentioned in another thread, how about fabricating or have a a class IV hitch fabricated? Pretty darn simple. You could even modify a 4Runner hitch to fit with a little modification. For myself, the main purpose of a class IV would be to use in recovery. A lightweight internal bumper mounted class III hitch is not going to hold up to the forces being it only has one mounting point vs the three mounting point requirement of a class IV and above.

I know with 100% certainty a fabrication shop can easily build up a class IV hitch. For those that are purchasing a new GX460 this can be used as a negotiating tool. If you are willing to walk if the dealer does not offer the hitch, have them knock off the price of fabricating one. Most shops charge around 300-500 bucks for custom hitches. It's really not that big of a deal.
JimboLG (05-08-22)
Old 05-12-22, 10:04 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ballistice
A class 3 is a hitch with just a lower weight rating of 5,000lbs towing capacity and 500lb weight distribution tongue capacity. It is no different other than less mounting points and capacity.

And I already mentioned in another thread, how about fabricating or have a a class IV hitch fabricated? Pretty darn simple. You could even modify a 4Runner hitch to fit with a little modification. For myself, the main purpose of a class IV would be to use in recovery. A lightweight internal bumper mounted class III hitch is not going to hold up to the forces being it only has one mounting point vs the three mounting point requirement of a class IV and above.

I know with 100% certainty a fabrication shop can easily build up a class IV hitch. For those that are purchasing a new GX460 this can be used as a negotiating tool. If you are willing to walk if the dealer does not offer the hitch, have them knock off the price of fabricating one. Most shops charge around 300-500 bucks for custom hitches. It's really not that big of a deal.
Great point. Unfortunately, low inventory makes it hard to negotiate nowadays.

Old 05-12-22, 11:22 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ramachk
Hi there! Please can you share some pics? I have the 2022 model as well and the base has provision for only two bolts.
That’s odd. Looks like something is missing. I have 2022 as well.

Old 05-13-22, 08:40 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep in mind that the Lexus branded hitch is only rated for increased capacity with a load stabilizing hitch setup. Without that setup the rating is also 5,000 pounds.
Peacebay (05-13-22)
Old 05-13-22, 08:47 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

The Lexus branded hitch is also only rated for 5000 pounds unless you are using a load stabilizing hitch setup. Then the rating increases. It says this directly in the installation instructions.

Originally Posted by ASE
Personally, I do not consider the 4-Bolt "Hitch" a Hitch ... is is a "Receiver" intended for light duty towing given it only attaches to the rear frame cross member ... works great for pulling small trailers, etc but does not have the safety factor that the full-on Lexus hitch provides (that also attaches to the side frame rails) when towing heavier payloads.
Old 05-13-22, 08:48 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

It's only rated for 5000 pounds unless you are leveraging a load stabilizing hitch even with the Lexus branded hitch.

Originally Posted by ASE
Old 05-15-22, 06:33 PM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
It's only rated for 5000 pounds unless you are leveraging a load stabilizing hitch even with the Lexus branded hitch.
You should use a load leveling hitch regardless of trailer if it's more than one axle (if you have a dedicated trailer). Unfortunately not a lot of the motoring public follows a common sense approach to towing or keeping within the GVWR of a vehicle.
Old 05-17-22, 08:28 AM
thn116
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of any updates or ETAs for this tow hitch issue being resolved?
Old 05-17-22, 08:38 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by thn116
Has anyone heard of any updates or ETAs for this tow hitch issue being resolved?
A couple weeks ago I was told there was no ETA and I haven’t heard anything to the contrary.
Old 05-17-22, 09:16 AM
thn116
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
A couple weeks ago I was told there was no ETA and I haven’t heard anything to the contrary.
Thanks. My local dealer is still advising of the same. I was just hoping that wasn’t the case.
Old 05-17-22, 11:13 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thn116
Thanks. My local dealer is still advising of the same. I was just hoping that wasn’t the case.
Same response from SoCal Lexus dealers.

Quick Reply: 2022-2023 Tow hitch receiver.