Budbuilt Front and Mid Skid Plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 01:18 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Budbuilt Front and Mid Skid Plates

Happy New Year folks.

I was going to put this in the "What did you do..." thread but after inspecting and installing these skids they deserve their own thread. Hopefully someone will find it useful as I searched for a while trying to decide on what skid plates I wanted to use. I've been a customer of RCI for their skids on 4Runners and my Tundra. I also enjoy wrenching on my on vehicles and oil changes is one of those items. I tell the dealers to keep their free oil change coupons as this is something I enjoy doing (and TBH... the crews doing the oil changes at the dealerships are not their master mechanics...). I think we all have a story on having to chisel off the oil drain plug because someone torqued to 100+lbs.

My criteria was well built skids in aluminum from a reputable shop that allowed access to both filter and drain plugs. Surprisingly... there are very few vendors that match this criteria.

I've known about BudBuilt from T4R and TW. So back in early November when I was still over a month from vehicle delivery I saw they had skids that had access panels to both filter and drain and they were available in aluminum. Unfortunately, I did not want the entire set and it was not available for the GX460 to only purchase the front and mid plates. I sent an email indicating these are available to order off the site for the 470... but not the 460. I got an email back within the hour saying to just purchase the individual 470 plates and put a note when submitting the order that you want the 460 plates. They are the same price and after submitting my order I sent an email just to confirm I needed the 460 skids. Again... got an email back promptly saying they got me and will start working on the order. Customer service is not something to be overlooked. Combine that with the pics that follow... I'm a BB fan now

The craftsmanship and attention to detail exceeded my expectations. They had applied anti seize to all the screws holding in the filler plates for the oil drain and filter. Big deal.... no, but awesome touch. The fit and lineup (holes aligning with their home) was spot on.

I just put in my Amsoil order as I'm approaching 2k miles on the truck and looking forward to the first change (also have the Fumoto valve in waiting).

Total install time.. bout 45 minutes to an hour. Would had been helpful with an extra pair of hands, but a 5 gallon bucket also works to hold it up while you start bolting them on.

Budbuilt absolutely nailed it.

Their site is still not updated with individual skid components for the 460. This is the URL I used https://budbuilt.com/Skid-Plates-and...nts_c_454.html and noted during order submission that this was for a GX460.

This is the complete 460 kit https://budbuilt.com/Overland-Protec...460_p_766.html
For right now I just wanted the front/mid plates.

UPS is the best Santa...ever!

I'm saving the OEM one for the wife's 2019 GX. Her skid literally rusted off in 4 years with our 4R. It's the same material so I'm expecting the same results with her OEM skid.

The following 9 users liked this post by bowhun2r:
Acrad (01-04-22), aredub (01-04-22), halfpint30 (01-05-22), Hehena (01-04-22), jlficken (01-08-22), LokiGx (01-10-22), M4rk (01-08-22), mstrchief (01-08-22), Seanzky (01-04-22) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-22, 01:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Agreed!!!! Exceptional product... I have full set on mine including the gas tank. My rig was one of their test-fit mules. I had many phone calls with "Rob" their lead welder about the need for 460 friendly oil change skid plates.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10535722

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
bowhun2r (01-04-22), Seanzky (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 01:38 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad
Agreed!!!! Exceptional product... I have full set on mine including the gas tank. My rig was one of their test-fit mules. I had many phone calls with "Rob" their lead welder about the need for 460 friendly oil change skid plates.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10535722

In that case.. Thank you for providing that great feedback to them regarding the access panels! It's the little things... but when little things are highly engineered that provide function.. well that's something that really interests me.

and thank you for all the very informative posts here. I've really mod'd my 4Rs and Tacomas and have posted on those forums but the wife's GX is basically stock. When I decided to get a GX for myself a lot of the posts I read were from you here on CL. So thank you for the time and extremely detailed posts that helped me and I'm sure others.

Cheers,
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 02:37 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on my BB skids to come in as well. Decided at last minute to go with BB over RCI due to the accessibility of the oil filter and the fit and finish as you and others have claimed. Plus they are local to me (in NC) which is a bonus.

Question, how much of the Cats does the mid-plate cover, if at all? Hoping this may be a deterrent to potential Cat theft, albeit limited.
aredub (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 02:49 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xychromo
Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on my BB skids to come in as well. Decided at last minute to go with BB over RCI due to the accessibility of the oil filter and the fit and finish as you and others have claimed. Plus they are local to me (in NC) which is a bonus.

Question, how much of the Cats does the mid-plate cover, if at all? Hoping this may be a deterrent to potential Cat theft, albeit limited.

So would it be impossible. No. Would it be more of a PITA than stock skids... yes.

Wife... "What are you doing under the truck now?"

Me.. "What are you doing on Ann Taylor Loft.com??".

Silence.

Old 01-04-22, 02:55 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

I have to say... I had zero plans on changing out my skid plates. Even when I finally start modding it for more serious family adventures, I would have left those OEM skids on. After seeing these pics however, they are looking mighty niiiiice. Just the convenience of oil changes alone would make it worth it! Thanks for sharing this. I've bookmarked the links already!
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
Acrad (01-04-22), bowhun2r (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 02:56 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
So would it be impossible. No. Would it be more of a PITA than stock skids... yes.

Wife... "What are you doing under the truck now?"

Me.. "What are you doing on Ann Taylor Loft.com??".

Silence.

Great thx. I have similar conversations with my wife, although with her it involves outdoor furniture

Old 01-04-22, 02:57 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I have to say... I had zero plans on changing out my skid plates. Even when I finally start modding it for more serious family adventures, I would have left those OEM skids on. After seeing these pics however, they are looking might niiiiice. Just the convenience of oil changes alone would make it worth it! Thanks for sharing this. I've bookmarked the links already!
These forums are a blessing and a curse (on my wallet)!
The following 2 users liked this post by xychromo:
Acrad (01-04-22), Seanzky (01-04-22)
Old 01-07-22, 07:30 AM
BoogyBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=bowhun2r;11196173]

Do you know if the skid can be used as a jack point like the OEM skid? I find it handy for lifting both front wheels at the same time to insert jack stands.

It looks like they welded a square tube at the jack point...
Old 01-07-22, 07:55 AM
virtualpj
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny, I 100% bought my BudBuilt front skid specifically for the oil filter door. Their exceptional quality is certainly a nice addition. When I took the factory one off for my first DIY oil change I said "there has to be a better way."

Mine is actually still in the box until I need to do my next oil change, and to hopefully spare it from at least one Chicago winter. No plans to upgrade the rest of the skids yet, but if I do, they will definitely be BudBuilt.
Old 01-07-22, 12:10 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=BoogyBear;11198487]
Originally Posted by bowhun2r

Do you know if the skid can be used as a jack point like the OEM skid? I find it handy for lifting both front wheels at the same time to insert jack stands.

It looks like they welded a square tube at the jack point...

Great question!

I saw the samething and wanted to confirm with BudBuilt. I can see a small (less than 1/8") gap between the square metal shape and the body of the GX. This is BudBuilt's reply to my question:

"Yes that’s what it is for! If it was contacting all the time, it would squeak or rub/chafe. A little clearance is correct and if it deflects when you jack it up there, it supports it properly."

You can see I actually put an "X in a box" in sharpie on the outside of the skid to locate this
square. Right behind the middle screw holding the filter plate on.

The following 3 users liked this post by bowhun2r:
Acrad (01-07-22), BoogyBear (01-07-22), virtualpj (01-07-22)
Old 01-08-22, 05:15 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

These look great, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos. I also agree that good customer service is a must. I'd rather pay extra than to have to deal with bad comms like during the purchase of my one piece front fender liners/splash shields.

What type of fasteners are used to affix the access panels, and do you know what material they are? Just thinking along the lines of dissimilar metals corroding. Did you also opt for upgraded mounting hardware, or re-use stock?
Old 01-08-22, 05:30 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by M4rk
These look great, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos. I also agree that good customer service is a must. I'd rather pay extra than to have to deal with bad comms like during the purchase of my one piece front fender liners/splash shields.

What type of fasteners are used to affix the access panels, and do you know what material they are? Just thinking along the lines of dissimilar metals corroding. Did you also opt for upgraded mounting hardware, or re-use stock?
Thanks.

I did opt for the upgraded stainless steel hardware (8 total bolts with washers for both skid plates) and used anti-seize on all the bolts (plus the OEM 10mm screws holding the plastic filler panel). The screws holding in the access panels appear to be stainless steel as well and they were also coated from BB with anti-seize. They are allen screws that are flush mounted so will not catch on anything.

Regardless if you do go with these (highly recommend them) if you stick with the OEM it's worth about 15 minutes of your time to coat the OEM bolts with anti-seize. They are not coated from the factory and having four 4Runners in the NE winters they quickly seize up and will snap off. You don't have to take the skids off if you take one bolt out...coat...screw back. Will save you the headache later of trying to remove a bolt with a snapped head.
The following 2 users liked this post by bowhun2r:
Acrad (01-08-22), halfpint30 (01-09-22)
Old 01-08-22, 02:19 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I went to coat my bolts this morning after reading this and will be ordering at least the front and mid skid plates from Bud Built as I just don’t trust the oil change kid to not mess up the bolts.

I’m going stainless front and aluminum mid for now. I may add the rear plate to cover the catalytic converters though.
Acrad (01-08-22)
Old 01-09-22, 12:49 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I decided if it’s worth doing it’s worth overdoing so as long as BudBuilt replies tomorrow that I can do the current GX 460 full set in stainless rather than aluminum I’m just going to go all stainless powder coated black.

I probably won’t put the tank or rear skids on right away but will do the front and mid.
Acrad (01-09-22)

Quick Reply: Budbuilt Front and Mid Skid Plates