GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

2024 GX height - Wheel and tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-23, 10:18 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2024 GX height - Wheel and tire suggestions?

I’ve been considering a GX since 2022 but for various reasons I never took the plunge. I’m fond of the new GX but I’ll have an issue: work garage height maxes out at 75”. GX luxury comes in at 75.39”. So, I need to lose a half inch.

Can anyone suggest a wheel/tire combination that you think will work well? I don’t particularly care for large wheels anyway, so I don’t mind replacing the Luxury 22” wheels.

That said, I’m a bit nervous about undersizing the tires, it’s not a particularly good look on a truck. Let me know what you think!

thanks.
Old 06-11-23, 12:16 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

The wheel size (rim) is not necessarily the issue ... as one moves from 18" to 19" to 20" to 22" wheels, the aspect ratio of the tire (tire width to sidewall height) is typically reduced (respectively) to maintain a close to identical overall diameter of the tire between wheel sizes ... which is what determines the ride height of the vehicle. But since you have 22" wheels ... there is no reasonable opportunity to reduce the tire aspect ratio any further. So what tire size are you currently running ?

The Lexus spec has the 22 GX460 overall height at 74.2" ... which is typically running an as-delivered 265/60-18 tire that has a 30.5" overall diameter.

Use tire calculator to compare sizes ... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

To lose 0.5" in current ride height means you need to lose 1.0" in tire diameter

Last edited by ASE; 06-11-23 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
John00 (06-21-23), Jtycho (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 01:40 PM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE;[url=tel:11522252
11522252]The wheel size (rim) is not necessarily the issue ... as one moves from 18" to 19" to 20" to 22" wheels, the aspect ratio of the tire (tire width to sidewall height) is typically reduced (respectively) to maintain a close to identical overall diameter of the tire between wheel sizes ... which is what determines the ride height of the vehicle. But since you have 22" wheels ... there is no reasonable opportunity to reduce the tire aspect ratio any further. So what tire size are you currently running ?

The Lexus spec has the 22 GX460 overall height at 74.2" ... which is typically running an as-delivered 265/60-18 tire that has a 30.5" overall diameter.

Use tire calculator to compare sizes ... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

To lose 0.5" in current ride height means you need to lose 1.0" in tire diameter
Thank you for the reply. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I don’t currently have a GX. I’m looking at the 2024 and the Luxury has the lowest hight at 75.39”. I need to get below 75” to fit into my parking garage at work.

Basically, I will have to pick a tire and wheel that will give me at least a 1/2” reduction in total height.
Old 06-11-23, 02:11 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jtycho
Thank you for the reply. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I don’t currently have a GX. I’m looking at the 2024 and the Luxury has the lowest hight at 75.39”. I need to get below 75” to fit into my parking garage at work.

Basically, I will have to pick a tire and wheel that will give me at least a 1/2” reduction in total height.
I have a lifted FJ Cruiser ... and those low parking garages can be a nightmare ... even if getting past the "hanging tube" at the entrance ... I am always concerned that I'll get wedged while taking a turn or going over a bump on the garage floor. The FJ has an antenna that is designed to be 1-inch higher than the roof rack ... so if it "pings" going into the parking garage entrance ... it's a nice "no-go" warning.

I would think you need 1-inch to be safe ...
The following users liked this post:
Jtycho (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 02:31 PM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
I have a lifted FJ Cruiser ... and those low parking garages can be a nightmare ... even if getting past the "hanging tube" at the entrance ... I am always concerned that I'll get wedged while taking a turn or going over a bump on the garage floor. The FJ has an antenna that is designed to be 1-inch higher than the roof rack ... so if it "pings" going into the parking garage entrance ... it's a nice "no-go" warning.

I would think you need 1-inch to be safe ...
Ha yeah exactly. I’m friendly with the guy that runs the lot, and 75” is their conservative number. I should be fine as long as I’m under it. I’ve seen Expeditions squeeze through with their roofs getting just barely scraped, and I’m pretty sure they’re 76”+.
Old 06-11-23, 03:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Ha yeah exactly. I’m friendly with the guy that runs the lot, and 75” is their conservative number. I should be fine as long as I’m under it. I’ve seen Expeditions squeeze through with their roofs getting just barely scraped, and I’m pretty sure they’re 76”+.
Get an onboard air compressor so you can "air down" the tires ... and **** off everyone behind you in line Sounds like you just need to find the level and parking space(s) that work ... and not continue down to the dungeon levels where the clearance always seems to be lower.

A "wedgie" in High School gym class is bad enough ... but a "wedgie" with a $70,000-odd vehicle is probably worse ... or at least more expensive !

Last edited by ASE; 06-11-23 at 04:24 PM.
gfcipriani (06-14-23)
Old 06-11-23, 04:24 PM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE;[url=tel:11522352
11522352[/url]]Get an onboard air compressor so you can "air down" the tires ... and **** off everyone behind you in line Sounds like you just need to find the level and parking space(s) that work ... and not continue down to the dungeon levels where the clearance always seems to be lower.
Haha that’s one way to do it!
Old 06-12-23, 08:27 AM
omegafiler
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't do this. A 1" shorter diameter tire will throw off your speedo, indicate more miles than you are actually driving, could negatively impact the handling and driving characteristics of the vehicle, and cause potential warranty issues.
Jtycho (06-12-23)
Old 06-12-23, 08:54 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by omegafiler;[url=tel:11522648
11522648[/url]]I wouldn't do this. A 1" shorter diameter tire will throw off your speedo, indicate more miles than you are actually driving, could negatively impact the handling and driving characteristics of the vehicle, and cause potential warranty issues.
Thank you, just the type of info I was looking for.
Old 06-12-23, 09:13 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Yes, the speedometer and odometer and computer MPG calculation is based on tire rotations to determine distance traveled. So unless the computer is re-calibrated ... smaller diameter tires will result in ... beyond speedo accuracy ... the odometer logging more distance than actually traveled ... so warranty coverage will expire sooner than necessary.

Re: warranty issues relative to tire size ... unless you go crazy ... this is never an issue ... a 1-inch difference in tire diameter will not flag a warranty concern.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Jtycho (06-12-23), Pittsy (07-07-23)
Old 06-12-23, 09:57 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE;[url=tel:11522694
11522694]Yes, the speedometer and odometer and computer MPG calculation is based on tire rotations to determine distance traveled. So unless the computer is re-calibrated ... smaller diameter tires will result in ... beyond speedo accuracy ... the odometer logging more distance than actually traveled ... so warranty coverage will expire sooner than necessary.

Re: warranty issues relative to tire size ... unless you go crazy ... this is never an issue ... a 1-inch difference in tire diameter will not flag a warranty concern.
I did a bit of homework. The difference wouldn’t be overly significant, the odometer would read 100 miles when I hit about 97. I only drive about 5000 miles per year. Regardless, even though I’m really drawn to the GX, I may not be willing to mess with a $70k purchase.

We’ll see. Maybe I’ll eventually track down a ‘22 Nori green that I originally wanted.

Last edited by Jtycho; 06-12-23 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-12-23, 03:31 PM
ASE
Pole Position

I did a bit of homework. The difference wouldn’t be overly significant, the odometer would read 100 miles when I hit about 97. I only drive about 5000 miles per year. Regardless, even though I’m really drawn to the GX, I may not be willing to mess with a $70k purchase.

We’ll see. Maybe I’ll eventually track down a ‘22 Nori green that I originally wanted.
Good plan on the '22 ... based on decades of automotive industry data ... NEVER EVER buy the first year release of anything ... unless you want to assist Toyota dialing-in any "teething" problems. Yes ... Toyota does it better than anybody ... but for me, year-2 is my earliest entry point. Being "first-on-the-block" wears off fast, so does not offset this "teething" reality ...

Last edited by ASE; 06-12-23 at 03:42 PM.
Jtycho (06-12-23)
Old 06-13-23, 10:43 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

You'll probably need to wait for this thing to actually get on the streets, but I think you're best bet will be to just remove the roof rack, or request it to come with out a roof rack from the factory, .that'll save you an inch or two right there.

Old 06-13-23, 11:42 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schwein
You'll probably need to wait for this thing to actually get on the streets, but I think you're best bet will be to just remove the roof rack, or request it to come with out a roof rack from the factory, .that'll save you an inch or two right there.
I thought of this, but I think you’ll still have the shark fin to contend with.
jer (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 12:19 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I thought of this, but I think you’ll still have the shark fin to contend with.
You could probably get the fin converted to a flat rectangular one if there was a chance of the fin hitting the ceiling.
Jtycho (06-13-23)

Quick Reply: 2024 GX height - Wheel and tire suggestions?