GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

Should I get a 23 or 24 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 11:32 AM
nhs15
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 22 gx atomic silver bought new in 21 with almost 30k miles. i'm contemplating trading it in for a new 23 nightfall mica bc i love it and deals are great. but yes i know that sounds crazy. i'm def waiting on the 24.
The following users liked this post:
mbdtex (01-08-24)
Old 01-03-24, 01:55 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
You sound like a car salesman…..and not a very convincing one.
I totally agree ! The new GX might have more tech, but that's about it. There is no way the 550 is more luxurious inside than the current. You can tell that just by looking at the pics, and there have been comments also made by those who have seen the inside who say the same thing. The difference in gas between the turbo and V8 is not very much, and the V8 has stood the test of time. No way is a turbo going to be better. Sure, maybe a bit more powerful, but that isn't what the GX is about. The current GX is an amazing, solid, quiet, smooth tank ! The v6 turbo will not give that smoothness or quiet. In addition, the plastic around the bottom and wheel arches are hideous, and the rear wiper being exposed is also. To each his own, but I'll take the current luxury any day, and less to go wrong as well.

Last edited by RDLGX; 01-03-24 at 02:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDLGX:
glamglam (02-16-24), mbdtex (01-08-24), ukcats (01-08-24)
Old 01-04-24, 05:43 AM
Slprciv
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
I totally agree ! The new GX might have more tech, but that's about it. There is no way the 550 is more luxurious inside than the current. You can tell that just by looking at the pics, and there have been comments also made by those who have seen the inside who say the same thing. The difference in gas between the turbo and V8 is not very much, and the V8 has stood the test of time. No way is a turbo going to be better. Sure, maybe a bit more powerful, but that isn't what the GX is about. The current GX is an amazing, solid, quiet, smooth tank ! The v6 turbo will not give that smoothness or quiet. In addition, the plastic around the bottom and wheel arches are hideous, and the rear wiper being exposed is also. To each his own, but I'll take the current luxury any day, and less to go wrong as well.

Sounds like the same arguments when cars went to fuel injection, hand crank windows to power windows, no air bags to air bags... etc. People are afraid of change.
Old 01-05-24, 07:51 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Slprciv
Sounds like the same arguments when cars went to fuel injection, hand crank windows to power windows, no air bags to air bags... etc. People are afraid of change.
Nope...not afraid of change, I'm just sensible.
The following 5 users liked this post by RDLGX:
Carnevino (02-27-24), Classic911 (01-27-24), glamglam (02-16-24), mbdtex (01-08-24), trent (01-23-24)
Old 01-05-24, 10:52 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Have you driven a vehicle with a GTDI V6? Especially one in a big, heavy, truck that might be used to tow? I can tell you without a doubt that the only thing in your post that is right is that the MPG's may not be a whole lot better. But the V6 will be quieter, smoother, and more effortless than the V8. Go look at any post on the Tundra forums related to the 3rd gen Tundra towing. Anyone who went from a 2nd gen 5.7L to a 3rd gen 3.4L TT said it is hands down a locomotive in comparison. And the gap will be even larger compare to the 4.6L.

I own a GX460 and a 2014 F150 Ecoboost, which produces 60 ft-lbs less torque and at a higher RPM than the GX550 motor. My F150 is 1200 lbs heavier than my GX460 and is turning 35" tires and even then it is smoother, quieter and more effortless to drive. Hell, towing my 5500 lb travel trailer up a 7% grade my F150 barely needs to turn more RPM's than my GX does just driving my son to school climbing a hill. The Ecoboost is just a quiet hum pulling a grade. And this is a Ford I am talking about, and an earlier Ford Ecoboost at that.

Reliability remains to be seen. I am sure it may be a little less reliable but I dont think it will be huge. You guys also act like Toyota V8's have never had an issue ever. Manifold leaks on the 4.7's are support common, radiators crapping the bed, valley cover plates, SAIS failures, rear main seals. Its the same crap as any other modern engine.

Last edited by skrypj; 01-05-24 at 11:02 AM.
Slprciv (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 02:45 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

To be fair, I think some of the confusion is how Lexus is marketing the GX. They are promoting it as an off roader, and while the design language says 'OffRoader', the engineering that went into it doesn't look like it was for making it that much more off road worthy than the GX460 (or GX470 for that matter). The engineering instead has made it way better at hauling/towing. The turbo makes it more usable at elevation (CO). It can tow up to 8,000lbs (1,500lbs more than the current GX) and can carry more stuff with more elbow room.
So if you are a family of 4 that wants to tow/haul with more confidence, and have more space in the cabin, then the new GX is going to be much better for you. If you don't care about that, and any of your tow/people hauling needs were/are satisfied by the current GX AND you don't care about the new tech, then the GX550 might seem like a downgrade.
Old 01-05-24, 04:33 PM
Slprciv
Driver

Originally Posted by skrypj
Have you driven a vehicle with a GTDI V6? Especially one in a big, heavy, truck that might be used to tow? I can tell you without a doubt that the only thing in your post that is right is that the MPG's may not be a whole lot better. But the V6 will be quieter, smoother, and more effortless than the V8. Go look at any post on the Tundra forums related to the 3rd gen Tundra towing. Anyone who went from a 2nd gen 5.7L to a 3rd gen 3.4L TT said it is hands down a locomotive in comparison. And the gap will be even larger compare to the 4.6L.

I own a GX460 and a 2014 F150 Ecoboost, which produces 60 ft-lbs less torque and at a higher RPM than the GX550 motor. My F150 is 1200 lbs heavier than my GX460 and is turning 35" tires and even then it is smoother, quieter and more effortless to drive. Hell, towing my 5500 lb travel trailer up a 7% grade my F150 barely needs to turn more RPM's than my GX does just driving my son to school climbing a hill. The Ecoboost is just a quiet hum pulling a grade. And this is a Ford I am talking about, and an earlier Ford Ecoboost at that.

Reliability remains to be seen. I am sure it may be a little less reliable but I dont think it will be huge. You guys also act like Toyota V8's have never had an issue ever. Manifold leaks on the 4.7's are support common, radiators crapping the bed, valley cover plates, SAIS failures, rear main seals. Its the same crap as any other modern engine.
Don't forget how much of a nightmare it is to replace the starter on the 5.7 and 4.6 since it is covered by the tublar exhaust manifold. You almost need to lift the body off the frame just to get to the exhaust manifold BEFORE you get to the starter! One of the worst design ever on a Toyota.
Old 01-23-24, 06:28 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I disagree. The lower trims no longer have KDSS which is what makes the ride more pleasant. The Mark L. is now not an option unless you get the top models. No real wood trim, no wood steering wheel, and I will add that they also got rid of the wonderful hydraulic steering, which gives much better feel of the road than the new electronic. The interior is a downgrade from the '23 . There are no more ceiling vents, and of course the tried and true V8 is now gone, being replaced with aV6 turbo with about 1 MPG difference from the current. The turbo engine will never be as smooth and quiet as the current V8. They have also changed the interior colors, and they are drab. You have to get two tone, and the light Ecru color that was very popular is also gone. The Grand Highlander has a better looking interior with optional quilted seats. Lexus was trying to appeal to the off roaders more which they succeeded, but they have failed for the majority of folks that love the GX for the luxury side of things that never plan to go off road, or not as often. The '23 GX is by far more luxury looking on the interior, and has beautiful lines on the exterior, with a hidden wiper on the back, which is another mistake. Why would they put an ugly exposed wiper on the back to look like an average SUV?
While I do like the look to a point with the exterior of the new GX 550, I am very disappointed with the interior. It just doesn't look Lexus, and I'm not alone in my opinion. There are many youtube videos out there where folks are saying the same thing. The GX has always been thought of as a luxury vehicle first, which includes a great off road machine as well. They have cheapened the interior which makes it just average looking, but yet you are paying a premium price for luxury. If I were in the market to buy, I would surely go with the current '23 GX, and wait for the new one to be out for a while. The V8 is fabulous, and trouble free, and mid refreshes always make changes that might bring some of what I mentioned back with the new one. I love my '23 GX.
You’re absolutely right about everything. The 24 GX550 does not meet up to all the features and the comfort that the 23 GX has. Lexus made a big mistake and they are only catering to the green crowd who like nature and the outdoors. Lexus forgets that 98% of GX buyers want luxury and a soft ride. And who cares about more new technology and electronics in the GX550. These new electronics and high tech features will become gremlins and problems a few years down the road when they start breaking down and costing many of thousands of dollars to fix and replace. I hope that Lexus doesn’t turn into another Subaru brand and cater to the treehugger and nature fanatic freaks.

No KDSS, no more wood trim on the interior, no wood trim steering wheel, no hydraulic steering, no more ceiling vents, no more luxurious interior seating. They also eliminated the choice of beautiful interior seat colors as well as the many beautiful exterior colors that they had on the 23 GX. No ML entertainment system unless you purchase the $80,000+ Luxury model. Come on. This is ridiculous. I know that many people who want to buy a brand new GX will want all these things in the 24 GX550 that have always been standard equipment in the GX460. And finally, they discontinued and eliminated the much loved V8 engine that has been in the GX for the last 23 years. The 3.5 liter turbo V6 is not as good as the 4.6 liter non turbo V8. I don’t care if the V6 puts out more horsepowers and torque. Its turbo will not last long and will eventually burn out and need replacement every so many miles. And to add to that, the V6 engine is louder and you can feel it straining when driving during acceleration and high speeds. It’s very painful to see that Lexus has turned the new 24 GX into something that it shouldn’t be.

Also, they want people to pay more in order to get the top of the line Luxury+ model in order for them to get it loaded with most of the features that came standard in the 23 GX Premium and Premium Pus and Sport Premium Plus for much less money. I can tell you one thing about the 24 GX550. Most people who will purchase the 24 GX550 who already own and drive the GX460 will not like it for all the reasons that I mentioned above. Lexus owners that are used to a luxurious interior and a beautiful soft luxury ride will not like the 24 GX550.

I’m so glad that I just purchased a brand new 23 GX. Lexus needs to rethink its strategy for the new 24 GX550. Many people will be unhappy with the GX550. I guarantee you that.

Last edited by glamglam; 01-23-24 at 08:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by glamglam:
Classic911 (01-27-24), NextLexus (03-20-24), Propofoln (02-16-24)
Old 02-14-24, 05:28 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nhs15
I have a 22 gx atomic silver bought new in 21 with almost 30k miles. i'm contemplating trading it in for a new 23 nightfall mica bc i love it and deals are great. but yes i know that sounds crazy. i'm def waiting on the 24.
We have a patriotic fleet of GX's- - Red, White and Blue. (Lexus' version of each) Prem+ Sport Design. The '16 Starfire White is Lux.
My '23 GX is Nightfall Mica...I never, ever even considered that color based on the Lexus brochures, or that which was shown on their website. In certain light, it almost appears black, in full direct sun, it's a deep blue metallic. IMO, very unique.
Old 02-15-24, 02:49 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

OP have you decided which one to get?
Old 02-16-24, 06:40 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Me too. The same here.
RDLGX (02-17-24)
Old 02-16-24, 06:43 AM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by skrypj

Reliability remains to be seen. I am sure it may be a little less reliable but I dont think it will be huge. You guys also act like Toyota V8's have never had an issue ever. Manifold leaks on the 4.7's are support common, radiators crapping the bed, valley cover plates, SAIS failures, rear main seals. It’s the same crap as any other modern engine.
Many Tacoma V6TT’s have had engine failure. No thank you on the V6TT.
Old 02-16-24, 07:41 AM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glamglam
Lexus needs to rethink its strategy for the new 24 GX550. Many people will be unhappy with the GX550. I guarantee you that.
Maybe if sales end up being equal or less than the 460's but if it's much higher you can pretty much count them not to lol

Guess one thing I don't get is if one likes the looks and features of the 460 then...keep it! or buy one at a steep discount that they're go for now

Those that want to join the GX family but with updated tech and more powerful engine now have that option in the 550

Some folks are mistakenly comparing previous features to current ones like-for-like i.e comparing older KDSS to newer eKDSS; despite Lexus starting the NON eKDSS GX550 has greater articulation then even the 460 WITH KDSS (https://i.imgur.com/EPJH9na.png)

If say 'Vehicle version 1' has feature 'A' but now 'Vehicle version 2' now longer has feature 'A' but it's more or less built in, does it matter that it doesn't have that feature anymore if you still get the benefits

Last edited by chibbyy; 02-16-24 at 07:48 AM. Reason: stuff
Slprciv (02-16-24)
Old 02-16-24, 12:02 PM
Slprciv
Driver

NO Tacomas have the V6TT not now not ever
Old 02-16-24, 04:27 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Really?? Can you cite your sources for everyone?

Quick Reply: Should I get a 23 or 24 gx?