GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

Should I get a 23 or 24 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 06:32 PM
Elipscombs
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I get a 23 or 24 gx?

Ok everyone we are looking at getting a new gx and wondering if you all recommend the 23 or 24 more overall? Looking for a great, reliable, comfortable ride for a family of 4. Thoughts ?
Old 06-26-23, 08:19 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

If you need it in the next 6 months I think your only option for a GX is the 23 . If you don't need anything in the next 5 or 6 months, and you are still on the fence, then maybe wait until Dec to see what the last of the '23 GX's are going for (or, and this might be a better option there also might be deals in Dec on good condition CPO GX's, so you can ride in that for a few years and then see if you want to trade into GX550 without taking much of a depreciation hit). If there are good deals on either new or CPO 2nd gen GX's then just get one of those.
Also keep in mind that no one here has driven the GX550 - like exactly 0 of us, so really none of us knows. All we know about is the current GX and general rules about 1st year production issues etc.
The following 4 users liked this post by CFAI:
Hrocks (12-21-23), My450H (01-05-24), RDLGX (06-29-23), vraa (12-21-23)
Old 06-27-23, 02:04 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’d extend the window to 1 year unless you’re willing to pay markup
Old 06-28-23, 06:57 PM
free888
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nesh
I’d extend the window to 1 year unless you’re willing to pay markup
That may be location dependent. My local dealer has indicated they’ve never done markup, and wouldn’t expect it to start with the new GX.
The following users liked this post:
vraa (12-21-23)
Old 06-29-23, 04:25 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Well you probably know that the current GX generation is very reliable. If you want to make sure you get a tried and true vehicle, I would certainly go for the 23 GX at this time. You can always get the next generation later on with a mid refresh when kinks are worked out. While the pics of the new model look great, there are a lot of things that are different, especially with the interior, and the way they have lined up the packages. The biggest reason I would go for the 23 is because no one has driven the 24 yet, and it will be some time before we really know what it is going to be like. I love the V8 in my 23, and I don't think the V6 and 10 speed trans are going to be nearly as smooth and quiet, (my RX wasn't ) and then there is the maintenance on the turbos. Plus, the gas MPG is not going to be much different. If I were going to get a '24, I would wait for the hybrid.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDLGX:
Classic911 (10-21-23), glamglam (02-16-24), My450H (01-05-24)
Old 06-29-23, 04:27 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by free888
That may be location dependent. My local dealer has indicated they’ve never done markup, and wouldn’t expect it to start with the new GX.
This is true, and if you read the latest car news, prices are starting to come down, and chip shortages are getting better, so mark ups will not last.
Old 06-29-23, 10:12 AM
beach109
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
If you need it in the next 6 months I think your only option for a GX is the 23 . If you don't need anything in the next 5 or 6 months, and you are still on the fence, then maybe wait until Dec to see what the last of the '23 GX's are going for (or, and this might be a better option there also might be deals in Dec on good condition CPO GX's, so you can ride in that for a few years and then see if you want to trade into GX550 without taking much of a depreciation hit). If there are good deals on either new or CPO 2nd gen GX's then just get one of those.
Also keep in mind that no one here has driven the GX550 - like exactly 0 of us, so really none of us knows. All we know about is the current GX and general rules about 1st year production issues etc.
This. Fully. Get a 2023, enjoy it, and until you can actually drive a 2024 or get on a realistic list at a chance at an allocation, keep driving it. Right now the current model maxes out at $70k or less (relatively), and clearly based on track record, won't lose much in value in times to come...

That's a safe choice either way, vs. waiting, not being able to get a 2023 easily, and still not have 2024 availability which is an all new model no one has been in yet.
RDLGX (07-15-23)
Old 07-03-23, 02:18 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

For proven reliability, go with 2023. That 2024 looks good in your garage though 😉

Go with 2024! I need more early adopters to tell me how things are.
RDLGX (07-15-23)
Old 07-14-23, 01:05 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A 24 without question. It's better in everyway.
Old 07-14-23, 03:37 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JermaineGX
I disagree. The lower trims no longer have KDSS which is what makes the ride more pleasant. The Mark L. is now not an option unless you get the top models. No real wood trim, no wood steering wheel, and I will add that they also got rid of the wonderful hydraulic steering, which gives much better feel of the road than the new electronic. The interior is a downgrade from the '23 . There are no more ceiling vents, and of course the tried and true V8 is now gone, being replaced with aV6 turbo with about 1 MPG difference from the current. The turbo engine will never be as smooth and quiet as the current V8. They have also changed the interior colors, and they are drab. You have to get two tone, and the light Ecru color that was very popular is also gone. The Grand Highlander has a better looking interior with optional quilted seats. Lexus was trying to appeal to the off roaders more which they succeeded, but they have failed for the majority of folks that love the GX for the luxury side of things that never plan to go off road, or not as often. The '23 GX is by far more luxury looking on the interior, and has beautiful lines on the exterior, with a hidden wiper on the back, which is another mistake. Why would they put an ugly exposed wiper on the back to look like an average SUV?
While I do like the look to a point with the exterior of the new GX 550, I am very disappointed with the interior. It just doesn't look Lexus, and I'm not alone in my opinion. There are many youtube videos out there where folks are saying the same thing. The GX has always been thought of as a luxury vehicle first, which includes a great off road machine as well. They have cheapened the interior which makes it just average looking, but yet you are paying a premium price for luxury. If I were in the market to buy, I would surely go with the current '23 GX, and wait for the new one to be out for a while. The V8 is fabulous, and trouble free, and mid refreshes always make changes that might bring some of what I mentioned back with the new one. I love my '23 GX.

Last edited by RDLGX; 07-14-23 at 03:50 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by RDLGX:
Classic911 (10-21-23), glamglam (02-16-24), Hrocks (02-27-24), justified (03-08-24), Never2late2 (02-01-24), ukcats (01-08-24), Waynelittle1 (10-04-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-23, 04:56 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

I think the only things objectively better in the 550 above even the '10-'13 460 versions are:
1) Tow Rating - this is much better on the 550
2) Power - also much better.
3) Interior room - but this comes at a cost of embiggening the truck
It will be good to learn the fuel tank capacity before buying. The 550 only gets 17mpg (+1mpg to the 460). If they give it a 21 Gallon tank or smaller it will have even less range then the 460. Looks are personal, but I think the 550 looks kinda lame - the Overtrail in particular has those hideous plastic fenders. If I was going to get something this boxy I would just get the Bronco, or just wait for the Toyota LC version. Other than the ES350 and LC500, there isn't anything else in the Lexus line up I am at all interested in getting. Maybe when it is time to move on from our GX we get a small truck or something. Not only have the standard auto makes upped their interiors big time (Kia/Mazda etc.) the new platform Lexus models all seem to have had theirs downgraded (save for the LC500 - amazing interior, and the ES350 - nice and appropriate for the price point). I have my eye on getting a lightly used/CPO ES350 when my '07 IS250 gives up the ghost, or if I am feeling flush and irresponsible a CPO LC500 for that gorgeous interior and NA 5.0L V8.
The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
RDLGX (07-15-23), Specialeyes (02-15-24)
Old 07-14-23, 05:15 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by RDLGX
I disagree. The lower trims no longer have KDSS which is what makes the ride more pleasant. The Mark L. is now not an option unless you get the top models. No real wood trim, no wood steering wheel, and I will add that they also got rid of the wonderful hydraulic steering, which gives much better feel of the road than the new electronic. The interior is a downgrade from the '23 . There are no more ceiling vents, and of course the tried and true V8 is now gone, being replaced with aV6 turbo with about 1 MPG difference from the current. The turbo engine will never be as smooth and quiet as the current V8. They have also changed the interior colors, and they are drab. You have to get two tone, and the light Ecru color that was very popular is also gone. The Grand Highlander has a better looking interior with optional quilted seats. Lexus was trying to appeal to the off roaders more which they succeeded, but they have failed for the majority of folks that love the GX for the luxury side of things that never plan to go off road, or not as often. The '23 GX is by far more luxury looking on the interior, and has beautiful lines on the exterior, with a hidden wiper on the back, which is another mistake. Why would they put an ugly exposed wiper on the back to look like an average SUV?
While I do like the look to a point with the exterior of the new GX 550, I am very disappointed with the interior. It just doesn't look Lexus, and I'm not alone in my opinion. There are many youtube videos out there where folks are saying the same thing. The GX has always been thought of as a luxury vehicle first, which includes a great off road machine as well. They have cheapened the interior which makes it just average looking, but yet you are paying a premium price for luxury. If I were in the market to buy, I would surely go with the current '23 GX, and wait for the new one to be out for a while. The V8 is fabulous, and trouble free, and mid refreshes always make changes that might bring some of what I mentioned back with the new one. I love my '23 GX.
The interior of the 550 is much nicer. The 460 is not quite a luxury car, which is part of its appeal. I love my 460 but the 550 is better in everyway. Design, engine, materials etc.

You'll have to see it yourself I guess.
Old 07-15-23, 02:16 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

The GX 550 will be basically two generations better than the 460. There is no comparison. I love the appeal of the old GX 460, but the new GX is leagues better in technology and design. The interior of the 460 is a little bit mid where the new 550 is top notch. You really have to see and drive it.
Old 07-25-23, 03:43 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX

I agreed with your thought on this one. "Lexus was trying to appeal to the off roaders more which they succeeded, but they have failed for the majority of folks that love the GX for the luxury side of things that never plan to go off road, or not as often."

If I am ever in the market for a newer GX in the distant future, I sure hope they will have a model that appeals to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by dchan865:
glamglam (02-16-24), RDLGX (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23, 12:22 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JermaineGX
I'd hold off on that statement just yet. I bought a brand new RCF the first model year and many of us got the joy of looking at our 85K purchase and not being able to drive it. Navigation systems went out(as in everything) as well as the dreaded fuel pump. Being it a brand new model the parts weren't in the country or even in stock overseas....I should mention it took 3 months for them to even diagnose the issues. After that it took another 2-3 months to get your car updated. Yeahhhhhhhh.....I'll hold off on the 24. I'm currently on my 5th GX, just bought in May a 23 premium plus and it checks all the boxes. I'm sure I'll get the 550, but certainly not a 24....perhaps a 25.
The following 5 users liked this post by Carnevino:
Classic911 (10-21-23), Hrocks (12-21-23), Never2late2 (02-01-24), RDLGX (07-29-23), Vlad6525 (07-28-23)

Quick Reply: Should I get a 23 or 24 gx?