GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

Pricing and markup discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 12:22 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jcwls3
Good points about the bespoke ordering process for most of the luxury German brands. We have a 911 GTS allocation request that won’t be fulfilled for at least a year. It took 18 months to get our Cayenne Turbo, but less than six for our Macan GTS. So Porsche order times are all over the place.
This post really sums up how I feel. Even though this tier of vehicle is not ultra-premium, they are premium enough to warrant customers having the ability to get what they want. So even though an X5, Merc GLE etc are approximately in the same league as a '24 GX, the thing that makes the German cars more special is that you can configure/build. That makes it more "special" to the buyer. Otherwise, it is more akin to a used-car experience where you're basically on a mission to locate a car within some bounds. The ADMs (either in direct form or $5K ceramic coating sold at "MSRP") just adds insult to injury. You're now having to pay more for a less special car. Crazy.

BTW - for the record, I have also never paid above MSRP. In fact, my G80 M3 was the only car I paid MSRP for, and it didn't come with any indirect ADMs such as coatings. If I can get an M3 at MSRP, why is a Toyota Highlander hybrid having a $5-$7K ADM? No reason. Its the fault of the consumers for paying it. You could buy a nicer, more luxurious and powerful luxury car and use that ADM money for a very extended warranty if you believe the narrative that somehow modern boosted Toyotas are unbreakable in comparison.

Some people are voting with their wallets and are actually helping the folks who are buying these cars longer term. I will give Lexus one more shot when I replace my DD IS 350 with the next gen model. If I see these shenanigans again, I'm done for good. I also have a deposit on a Rivian R2, so already building up options for the DD. Too many other great options out there, but because I am an optimist, I actually think that Lexus/Toyota will learn from this.
Old 04-04-24, 12:25 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GX550owner
For what it’s worth my dealer in Florida says they don’t tack on Adm feels so we shall see.
My dealer told me this too. Except it comes with $5K of "add-ons" such as badly applied coatings, a couple of bits of xpel and unnecessary badge blackout covers. All sold at "MSRP". Let us know if yours is different. BTW, I am seeing Lux+ configs at $100K now. Lol.
Old 04-05-24, 07:25 AM
newcarshoppingsucks
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calicoaster
My dealer told me this too. Except it comes with $5K of "add-ons" such as badly applied coatings, a couple of bits of xpel and unnecessary badge blackout covers. All sold at "MSRP". Let us know if yours is different. BTW, I am seeing Lux+ configs at $100K now. Lol.
Haha, yup those were the adds a dealer in TX told me about. It's not even Xpel, it's crappy 3M coatings which are partial. So part of the hood fades and the rest doesn't. Also don't want or need interior ceramic, and I'll do my own exterior ceramic. On a side note, a dealer called me with an unallocated regular overtrail. To me, that says a lot on it retaining some resale value if no one wanted it to begin with.
Old 04-05-24, 07:32 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Why are we not naming the dealerships that are being called out here?

The following 4 users liked this post by FastTurtle:
ERC4 (04-05-24), Slprciv (04-05-24), Specialeyes (04-09-24), vraa (04-05-24)
Old 04-08-24, 09:37 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Kendall Lexus in Anchorage are charging a 'Market Adjustment' of $9,995, LOL. They are the only Lexus dealer in the State so no choice but to pay their price (monopoly) .
https://www.kendalllexusofalaska.com/

A couple of other options are to fly down to the lower 48 and drive one up or have a dealer send one up by barge via Washington State.
Old 04-08-24, 03:41 PM
jccisgs
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
Kendall Lexus in Anchorage are charging a 'Market Adjustment' of $9,995, LOL. They are the only Lexus dealer in the State so no choice but to pay their price (monopoly) .
https://www.kendalllexusofalaska.com/

A couple of other options are to fly down to the lower 48 and drive one up or have a dealer send one up by barge via Washington State.
A $10k markup is just insane! Just curious, do the dealers of German makes do the same in Anchorage?
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (04-10-24)
Old 04-09-24, 10:43 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcwls3
Good points about the bespoke ordering process for most of the luxury German brands. We have a 911 GTS allocation request that won’t be fulfilled for at least a year. It took 18 months to get our Cayenne Turbo, but less than six for our Macan GTS. So Porsche order times are al...
Haha I've had the same rant somewhere here. I bought an M5 December 2021- January 2022, at MSRP and at the exact spec I wanted, took 6 months to deliver. That was during the height of the crazy car market with shortages, no cars on dealer lots, high used car prices ect. At the same time taking my wifes 4Runner for an Oil change, not only they had a Corvette inside the show room floor of a Toyota dealership (of course I asked about this new Toyota 2 door), right next to it was a brand new Rav4 Hybrid with a 15k over sticker on it, 15K!!!. I asked the same question and had the same realization, why its it easier to get a 115k vehicle at MSRP than one of the most mass produced SUVs in the country, designed to be AFFORDABLE family vehicle, and those people looking for an affordable kid hauler and not German hyper sedan are forced to pay 15k over!
Old 04-10-24, 06:32 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jccisgs
A $10k markup is just insane! Just curious, do the dealers of German makes do the same in Anchorage?
Not sure, I haven't looked at their pricing here in Alaska. I'm done with newer German cars (owned several BMWs and a few MBs out of warranty), the mid 2000s and up are more problematic from my experience. I've jumped ships to reliable, dependable and good resale value Toyota (currently in a 2022 GX), as I suspect many Lexus owners have done for similar reasons. With that, I'm not too happy with Lexus service here and the new GX is too big for my garage especially as it no longer has the swing out rear door, so I am considering a different brand.
Old 04-13-24, 05:31 AM
free888
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by calicoaster
My dealer isn’t charging a market adjustment, but they are adding the 3M coatings, a cargo carpet mat and cargo tray. Why does someone need both the mat and tray?
vraa (04-13-24)
Old 04-14-24, 04:30 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A new winner for overpricing.

For fun, I wrote to Beverly Hills Lexus. The salesman claimed they sold an overtrail + for $36k over MSRP. He also said they sell them as high as the market will bear.

I have the email saved.

I almost can't believe it.
hpolanco665 (04-15-24)
Old 04-14-24, 09:04 PM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
For fun, I wrote to Beverly Hills Lexus. The salesman claimed they sold an overtrail + for $36k over MSRP. He also said they sell them as high as the market will bear.

I have the email saved.

I almost can't believe it.
Lexus of Westminster told me over the phone 30-40k over. Ended the call and will never consider that dealer in the future.
hpolanco665 (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 08:34 AM
newcarshoppingsucks
10th Gear

I ended up buying a 24 4runner TRD Pro because I couldn't wait (needed a car) and wanted to let the bugs work themselves out on this 1st gen GX. I'm really turned off to Toyota and Lexus. As mentioned elsewhere, the buying experience sucks. You can't order the model you want. The dealers add a bunch of crap you don't need. And if these retain value like the outgoing GX, you lose 10k just driving it off the lot. Of course all vehicles lose money once you drive it off the lot some more than others.

Funny that 2 days after I bought it, a dealership I contacted asked if I wanted one on their next shipment. They told me they were charging $10k market adjustment on the first call. So an $82K vehicle become $92K before any other charges. And in 1 year almost $100k vehicle out the door is worth low to mid $70k's. No thanks.
Old 04-15-24, 09:54 AM
HouTxrunner
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If you’re in TX which Lexus dealership was marking up? I should receive my allocation this week…will be interesting….then was told it would be 6-8 weeks to actually take delivery. Earlier in the process, I was told they will not mark up… Westside is owned by Gulf States Toyota. I also asked about dealer add ons… to which I got a bit of a non answer.

Depending on how this plays out, I might move on to the Sequoia…. I’m seeing dealer discounts here in Houston.
Old 04-15-24, 03:55 PM
newcarshoppingsucks
10th Gear

Originally Posted by HouTxrunner
If you’re in TX which Lexus dealership was marking up? I should receive my allocation this week…will be interesting….then was told it would be 6-8 weeks to actually take delivery. Earlier in the process, I was told they will not mark up… Westside is owned by Gulf States Toyota. I also asked about dealer add ons… to which I got a bit of a non answer.

Depending on how this plays out, I might move on to the Sequoia…. I’m seeing dealer discounts here in Houston.
El Paso - $10K market adjustment
Lubbock - MSRP + $5k dealer ads
Old 04-16-24, 03:30 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Our local dealer is now showing several GX's in transit. Per the website the MSRP and 'our price' are the same. Interesting to see if/what they add to that price, if anything.

Quick Reply: Pricing and markup discussion