GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models
View Poll Results: How is your wait for the GX going?
Holding out and waiting it out
76.47%
Starting to consider alternatives
14.71%
Ended up buying something else
8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How is your waiting for a GX going? (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 07:21 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by free888
I’m willing to be patient. The ADMs (although my local dealer claims to not add one) will disappear in a few months. I plan to have the car 10+ years- I’d prefer to have one that I don’t need to worry about after the warranty expires.
Makes sense. I would give Lexus the edge on longevity for sure. For the X5, the B58 is well proven and rock solid, so I am not worried about the power-train at all, but other things you never know. We take extremely good care of our cars, and so I am hopeful, there will be no major drama. I sometimes wonder if BMW drivers are just much harder on their cars than Toyotas or Lexus.
Old 03-18-24, 12:16 AM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calicoaster
40i which is the B58 straight-6. Also has the 48V mild-hybrid carried over from the MY24 model. I wasn't really planning to have 2 BMWs, but the X5 drives so beautifully on-road, that it was hard to resist. Of course it is not an off-roader, but we were not planning to use the Lux+ (with its 22" road-focused wheels) for any serious offroading anyway.

The only thing I will really miss is the 3rd row which would have been nice on occasion. I configured for a two-hitch however. The other feature I got was the 2-axle air suspension.

The X5 will probably arrive around the time I get the call from Lexus, so it could be interesting, but for now I am heavily leaning to the X5. I will still test-drive a GX 550 when I can get my hands on one.

Anyway, probably shouldn't be getting into details of a BMW on a Lexus forum :-). I still have my IS 350 so I figure I can still lurk around these parts!
The B58 is an amazing engine, it's the AK47 of engines now with how many different platforms its being used, all the way from track oriented Supra and M240i, to family SUVs like your X5 and X3 to a dedicated off-roader the INEOS. Its bunkers, I wonder if they tuned the engine to have a different power band in the INEOS for 4h/4l off road use or is it the same as the M240?!

Honestly going with the B58, you did not sacrifice reliability, Toyota putting its own badge and reputation behind it with the Supra is a testament in itself. They've fixed all the gremlins in early productions engines, and I doubt you plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years, it'll last the average 3-6 year turn around people have. Electrical gremlins are electrical gremlins, some sensor might fail, not a big deal, as long as you do good maintenance and keep an eye on all the plasticky bits, it'll run fine.

Which speaking of maintenance, I highly recommend you get the extra maintenance plan on top of the factory 3year. I bought extra 2 years to match the 5 years warranty on my M5, which includes a complete Brake Pad/Rotor swap. For those who don't know BMW has an amazing maintenance plan, it includes EVERYTHING that's in the book, not just your oil/tire rotation. Diff oil, coolant, spark plugs, even batteries in the key fob, whatever is in the book for the first 3 years they replace. For extra $700 you get pads and rotors too, which is a $10k+ job on the M5 based on parts alone. So buy the extra years, its worth it to have that peace of mind. Doesn't include the battery or the wipers.

To be honest I'm partial to the new 50i or M60 with the new S68. For one its an S engine so its the same engine that will go into M5 variants, i've heard that they've made it more robust, replaced all the weak internals of the S63, not N63 but S63. It makes less power on its own, meaning its less stressed. So more robust and less stressed I think the S68 will be extremely reliable. And I just love that 4.4L V8 its just a great touring engine even in the M5.

Reading some of the threads here on coolant valley leaks, oil inside spark plug tubes ect gives me more anxiety about my out of warranty GX than my BMW 3 years from now.
The following users liked this post:
calicoaster (03-18-24)
Old 03-18-24, 09:33 AM
Seanie
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes sense. I would give Lexus the edge on longevity for sure. For the X5, the B58 is well proven and rock solid, so I am not worried about the power-train at all, but other things you never know. We take extremely good care of our cars, and so I am hopeful, there will be no major drama. I sometimes wonder if BMW drivers are just much harder on their cars than Toyotas or Lexus.
We've had BMW's in our family for many years and although we like the cars, we seldom have smooth ownership experiences. We don't drive the vehicles hard and maintain them to a high standard.
Old 03-18-24, 07:19 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Appreciate the comments. @F90Guy - didn't realize your handle being "F90" at first. Thanks for the suggestion on the more comprehensive plans. I also have a G80 M3 (in sig) and considering some kind of extended warranty for that although TBH, this car is a bit of a "garage queen" so not driven much. I drive it sometimes. The X5 will be driven a lot more.

I didn't realize that the B58 has been around since 2015, so its probably going to be pretty solid. Lots of forged internals (much like the S58 in the G80). Overall, I think BMW has established itself as a "pretty reliable" car brand. I will say that my experience with Toyota and Lexus has not been without issue. Mechanically no problems, but both our Toyota and Lexus have had electrical issues especially around the stereo and navigation unit. I've had some very expensive repairs with my IS 350 which was destroying batteries for a couple of years. Even had the "head unit" replaced (very expensive). Eventually they found a fault in one of the boards and replaced that.

The new GX actually brings both new mechanical and electrical/safety/infotainment features. TBH - I was planning to accept risk on that too, so I am not particularly afraid of the X5 in comparison. In the end, I'm going with the X5 (highest likelihood event) because of the overall purchase experience and not getting gouged. My experience so far with BMW is so much better. I don't really understand why Lexus/Toyota is acting like its selling 911 GT3's and Ferraris. Maybe they are having production issues.
Old 03-19-24, 04:46 PM
F90Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate the comments. @F90Guy - didn't realize your handle being "F90" at first. Thanks for the suggestion on the more comprehensive plans. I also have a G80 M3 (in sig) and considering some kind of extended warranty for that although TBH, this car is a bit of a "garage queen" so not driven much. I drive it sometimes. The X5 will be driven a lot more.

I didn't realize that the B58 has been around since 2015, so its probably going to be pretty solid. Lots of forged internals (much like the S58 in the G80). Overall, I think BMW has established itself as a "pretty reliable" car brand. I will say that my experience with Toyota and Lexus has not been without issue. Mechanically no problems, but both our Toyota and Lexus have had electrical issues especially around the stereo and navigation unit. I've had some very expensive repairs with my IS 350 which was destroying batteries for a couple of years. Even had the "head unit" replaced (very expensive). Eventually they found a fault in one of the boards and replaced that.

The new GX actually brings both new mechanical and electrical/safety/infotainment features. TBH - I was planning to accept risk on that too, so I am not particularly afraid of the X5 in comparison. In the end, I'm going with the X5 (highest likelihood event) because of the overall purchase experience and not getting gouged. My experience so far with BMW is so much better. I don't really understand why Lexus/Toyota is acting like its selling 911 GT3's and Ferraris. Maybe they are having production issues.
My M5 is kind of a garage queen as well but not by choice, same as GX, I've been gone a lot for work, so the cars been sitting in the garage. My M5 is 22, and barely crested 10k miles. In May it's due for its 2 year/20k mile service and it'll probably only have 11k miles if that. But I also drive the GX for winter and work more often, some days I alternate, in the end the M5 gets driven way less.

My wife has a 22 4Runner and she had to get her head unit replaced for Android auto not working, and the entire Climate control console had to be replaced because the temp dial got warped, just happened one day, for no reason. All this was done under warranty but now that is expired. And I wondered if buying extended warranty would be a good idea just for things like that, I'm not that worried about mechanical issues but electronics. While thanks to these forums I'm worried about all these gasket failures in that 4.6 that require extensive repair. And I had a buddy that has a 19GX with 55k miles that had to get his transfer case taken apart as he had a small oil leak where the drive shafts comes out of a T-Case. His was covered under the 7 year power train warranty which mine doesn't qualify for any more being a 16 with 80k miles.

That X5 should solid, I doubt you plan to tune your B58 to be able to gap your M3😂, which is in reality would be too easy to do as B58 is a more popular tuning platform than the S58. I've driven M4s and M240i on a BMW track day, the N/S58 is amazing, I was truly impressed. I barely felt any difference from my M5. Ask if they still offer a free track with a purchase of a new BMW, that was a thing back in 2022.

I didn't realize Lexus does the same thing as Toyota when ordering, not giving the customer a way to order an exact model. We ordered our 4Runner the same way, you get your trim level but everything else like color and options was a wish list. If I were to get a new 550 I'd want it to match my current one, I'd want a ML sound system and Crawl Control.

Toyota and Lexus move so much vehicles, thats why the gouge their customers, people will still buy them while not many people buy M cars. I bought my 22 M5 in Dec of 2021 at the peak of craziness, for $1500 under MSRP, ordered just the way I wanted, without executive package which I's a no no from a dealer. It'd essentially a bare bones M5 Competition without massagers, ventilated seats, self parking and other luxury crap. All I got was traffic jam assist and the extra maintaince to match the 5 year warranty. It took six months but it came. Your X5 should be 6 weeks plus or minus, as all BMW SUVs are made in South Carolina, so no 30 day transatlantic trip.

While at the same time I saw a Rav4 hybrid for 15k over at the Toyota dealership and 4Runners were going for 5 to 10k over. Ridiculous.

calicoaster (03-19-24)
Old 03-25-24, 01:07 PM
Sunshinedaisies
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I accepted an allocation and kinda am regretting it… help

Maybe this is to kill some time or just for fun, but wanted to see how folks are approaching (or giving up) on the new GX after all the delays
I received an allocation call on Friday for a GX550 white Luxury arriving in May/June. We debated and then accepted. The problem is I REALLY wanted the Luxury plus with a bench seat, this is a Luxury with captains chairs. It is $83,624. (At msrp). I am committed now and will lose my deposit if I change my mind and probably drop to the bottom of the list. I currently don’t have a car (sharing with husband)- so I was not wanting to wait a full year. But I never spend this much on a car and am worried I should have waited it out for what I really wanted. We were pretty far down the list but the dealer liked us and called us within the first few calls- so honestly we should have been a year out.

Was this a bad decision? Help!!
Old 03-25-24, 01:12 PM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshinedaisies
I received an allocation call on Friday for a GX550 white Luxury arriving in May/June. We debated and then accepted. The problem is I REALLY wanted the Luxury plus with a bench seat, this is a Luxury with captains chairs. It is $83,624. (At msrp). I am committed now and will lose my deposit if I change my mind and probably drop to the bottom of the list. I currently don’t have a car (sharing with husband)- so I was not wanting to wait a full year. But I never spend this much on a car and am worried I should have waited it out for what I really wanted. We were pretty far down the list but the dealer liked us and called us within the first few calls- so honestly we should have been a year out.

Was this a bad decision? Help!!
IMO, for that money get what you want. I too wanted a luxury + with bench seat and was told by dealer that captains chairs will be all they get initially. I opted for the Overtrail + with bench as a result.
You should be able to get a deposit back if you do not receive a car. I don't think legally they can keep a deposit ?
Old 03-25-24, 01:26 PM
Sunshinedaisies
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jphcbpa
IMO, for that money get what you want. I too wanted a luxury + with bench seat and was told by dealer that captains chairs will be all they get initially. I opted for the Overtrail + with bench as a result.
You should be able to get a deposit back if you do not receive a car. I don't think legally they can keep a deposit ?
They required us sign a form that the deposit is non-refundable if we back out - not transferable to another vehicle. I get that these are in huge demand. I just wish Lexus had a more customer friendly ordering system. I am spending so much I just want to be excited, but feel stressed out.
Old 03-25-24, 01:31 PM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by Sunshinedaisies
They required us sign a form that the deposit is non-refundable if we back out - not transferable to another vehicle. I get that these are in huge demand. I just wish Lexus had a more customer friendly ordering system. I am spending so much I just want to be excited, but feel stressed out.
Probably depends on what state you are in regarding the deposit.
Old 04-18-24, 04:11 PM
JSTNDAD
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a deposit on a Luxury+ back in October and 3 weeks ago I heard is delay. because of a Transmission problem that when put in neutral the gears get stuck and can move forward while in neutral. i guess will have to wait a bit longer.
Julius071 (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 04:26 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTNDAD
I put a deposit on a Luxury+ back in October and 3 weeks ago I heard is delay. because of a Transmission problem that when put in neutral the gears get stuck and can move forward while in neutral. i guess will have to wait a bit longer.
what is Lexus solution?
Old 04-18-24, 04:57 PM
JSTNDAD
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Julius071 Lexus has no clue or any solution. But the Tahara Plant in Japan eventually will. lol I'm 100% sure they have all the Aisin engineers at full force working on trying to figure this Transmission out,
Old 04-19-24, 06:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Wow, that's not good.
Old 04-19-24, 07:04 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by JSTNDAD
was this not the reason for the original delay in production ?
Old 04-19-24, 07:21 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Wow, that's not good.
I have also placed deposit. We are half way through 2024 and the car still hasn't released.

Now I've seen the new 2025 4runner and comming out fall this year, i am leaning towards the new 4runner.
jphcbpa (04-19-24)

Quick Reply: How is your waiting for a GX going? (poll)