GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models
View Poll Results: How is your wait for the GX going?
Holding out and waiting it out
76.47%
Starting to consider alternatives
14.71%
Ended up buying something else
8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How is your waiting for a GX going? (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 01:22 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How is your waiting for a GX going? (poll)

Maybe this is to kill some time or just for fun, but wanted to see how folks are approaching (or giving up) on the new GX after all the delays
Old 01-20-24, 07:12 PM
Slprciv
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I waited since it's introduction last year, a few more months is not gonna kill me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slprciv:
calicoaster (01-21-24), GX600 (02-07-24)
Old 01-20-24, 08:50 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

I’ve placed an order a few weeks ago. I am second on the list for my dealer for the Canadian Executive trim.

The bulk of the sales my dealer has made (deposits) are Luxury and Overtrail+ trims, followed by Overtrail and base trims.

I currently drive an 2023 RX 350h, and due to parts shortage was unable to get the ML audio on it - something I dearly miss from the 2022 NX I had before.

I aimlessly spend my days waiting by googling news about the GX 550 in hopes of finding more details about it.

So many unanswered questions: will Canada and other territories get Adaptive Highbeams (the JAOS tuned one has them, just like the Canadian RX), when will the hybrid variant come? How is the ride quality? Will the ML audio be superb? How are the massaging seats? Why are there no ventilated 2nd row seats? What will the Executive trim fuel consumption be like (22” and no Kinetic Suspension). Will my wife driving over the curb damage the rims? All these questions keep me up at night.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ihave1cat:
calicoaster (01-21-24), GX600 (02-29-24), hpolanco665 (01-22-24)
Old 01-21-24, 07:59 AM
calicoaster
Driver

@Ihave1cat , did they just open the pre-ordering/deposits recently in Canada? I put a deposit down in early June and got about 10th on the list. Mine is for a Lux+ which I think is equivalent to your Exec trim. I am also waiting it out (for now), but at times I get tempted to look elsewhere (but there is nothing that has this mix of Luxury, reliability, looks and off-road cred). The ML audio is a must for me (a long-time hi-fi guy). I have it in my daily driver IS and it is one of the best features of the car.

I am looking forward to test-driving one hopefully soon-ish and my biggest questions will also be ride quality and also power/responsiveness. At least I got to sit in one recently at the San Diego Auto show and so far I am impressed, but you really know nothing till you actually drive a car. Because we keep our cars for a long time, these are fairly consequential decisions!
Old 01-21-24, 06:36 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calicoaster
@Ihave1cat , did they just open the pre-ordering/deposits recently in Canada? I put a deposit down in early June and got about 10th on the list. Mine is for a Lux+ which I think is equivalent to your Exec trim. I am also waiting it out (for now), but at times I get tempted to look elsewhere (but there is nothing that has this mix of Luxury, reliability, looks and off-road cred). The ML audio is a must for me (a long-time hi-fi guy). I have it in my daily driver IS and it is one of the best features of the car.

I am looking forward to test-driving one hopefully soon-ish and my biggest questions will also be ride quality and also power/responsiveness. At least I got to sit in one recently at the San Diego Auto show and so far I am impressed, but you really know nothing till you actually drive a car. Because we keep our cars for a long time, these are fairly consequential decisions!
Cannot wait to sit in one - it’s just unfortunate that the one I may be sitting in first is the one delivered for me.

Canada had their reservations open earlier, but I don’t know if my dealer is just unpopular or what, as there are only 2 exec reservations, or if they are just unpopular. I know that have MANY others, but from what I heard, the delay is astronomical. Now, that also depends who you ask.
Don Valley Lexus said 12-18 months, but they are in the GTA area, so lots of people and a hefty competition.

I’ve already consigned to driving to Michigan or New York (state) to sit in a new GX, and maybe drive it.

A big worry for me is that the ride is harsh. While I’m not expecting it to be a Rolls Royce smooth, I am expecting it to be quiet and smooth, hopefully more than my 2023 RX350h, with no AVS.

My wait is basically a daily grind through the news, aimlessly looking at availability and specs, hoping to see a surprise Doug Demuro review of the vehicle show up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ihave1cat:
calicoaster (01-22-24), hpolanco665 (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 05:48 AM
hpolanco665
Driver School Candidate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I cant wait until Doug reviews this car, I have high hopes that he will give it a high score. Its funny because I have a rule not to buy a car unless Doug reviews it and gives it a good score, I trust his opinion. This is the first time I am all in on a car without his blessing.
The following 3 users liked this post by hpolanco665:
jphcbpa (01-22-24), Seanie (01-22-24), Slprciv (01-22-24)
Old 01-22-24, 08:31 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I might head to the Houston auto show this week and check it out.
I was thinking more about the LC250 in recent weeks but will probably just stick it out with the GX unless the monthly payment is more than I am currently paying on my bmw x7.
Old 01-22-24, 02:42 PM
Slprciv
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hpolanco665
I cant wait until Doug reviews this car, I have high hopes that he will give it a high score. Its funny because I have a rule not to buy a car unless Doug reviews it and gives it a good score, I trust his opinion. This is the first time I am all in on a car without his blessing.
I remember him giving it the initial review and though of it pretty high without a test drive. That says a lot about his opinion. I also can't wait for his review and savage geese also. He (savage geese) gave the 2nd gen pretty high remarks for a "washing machine" that works lol
The following users liked this post:
V8Zen (01-27-24)
Old 01-22-24, 04:13 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

I just purchased a brand new 2023 GX460 Premium Plus Sport. I got $8,500 off the $68,120 MSRP sticker price. The GX550 is a big downgrade when you compare the luxury features on it and the interior materials with the 23 GX460. You have to spend over $80,000 on the GX550 to get the luxury features than come standard on the GX460. That's how I see it when comparing both vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by glamglam:
calicoaster (01-23-24), E3PO (01-30-24)
Old 01-22-24, 10:20 PM
nbgx550
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
I’ve placed an order a few weeks ago. I am second on the list for my dealer for the Canadian Executive trim.

The bulk of the sales my dealer has made (deposits) are Luxury and Overtrail+ trims, followed by Overtrail and base trims.

I currently drive an 2023 RX 350h, and due to parts shortage was unable to get the ML audio on it - something I dearly miss from the 2022 NX I had before.

I aimlessly spend my days waiting by googling news about the GX 550 in hopes of finding more details about it.

So many unanswered questions: will Canada and other territories get Adaptive Highbeams (the JAOS tuned one has them, just like the Canadian RX), when will the hybrid variant come? How is the ride quality? Will the ML audio be superb? How are the massaging seats? Why are there no ventilated 2nd row seats? What will the Executive trim fuel consumption be like (22” and no Kinetic Suspension). Will my wife driving over the curb damage the rims? All these questions keep me up at night.
The ML sound system is really good. I got to sit inside an Overtrail + model at the Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA. Sound quality was fantastic. It has A LOT of speakers. The massaging seats were actually good. It didn't feel like a gimmick. My only reference for massage seats is an Audi. Between the Audi RS Q8 massage seats and the GX550 I'd say the GX550 felt more substantial and good.
jphcbpa (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 09:08 AM
calicoaster
Driver

Originally Posted by glamglam
I just purchased a brand new 2023 GX460 Premium Plus Sport. I got $8,500 off the $68,120 MSRP sticker price. The GX550 is a big downgrade when you compare the luxury features on it and the interior materials with the 23 GX460. You have to spend over $80,000 on the GX550 to get the luxury features than come standard on the GX460. That's how I see it when comparing both vehicles.
Financially, this makes the most sense. I think for most folks it probably just comes down to styling. For me, I really want the new boxy shape so couldn't convince myself to go with the 460 despite it being much better value. There is also a bit of the tech and infotainment that I would expect would be improved in the 550.
But, the main point you are making is correct. It is kind of absurd that to get the goodies, you need to go Lux+. I would prefer to spend less but each time I check the included features (and likely configs), I can only get the Lux+. The only way I rationalize this is when I look outside the brand. What can you get for $80K that can match the GX Lux+? Nothing I can find for the criteria I have defined for myself.
glamglam (02-16-24)
Old 01-23-24, 11:53 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calicoaster
Financially, this makes the most sense. I think for most folks it probably just comes down to styling. For me, I really want the new boxy shape so couldn't convince myself to go with the 460 despite it being much better value. There is also a bit of the tech and infotainment that I would expect would be improved in the 550.
But, the main point you are making is correct. It is kind of absurd that to get the goodies, you need to go Lux+. I would prefer to spend less but each time I check the included features (and likely configs), I can only get the Lux+. The only way I rationalize this is when I look outside the brand. What can you get for $80K that can match the GX Lux+? Nothing I can find for the criteria I have defined for myself.
the Lux+ is somewhat absurd. In Canada, all I want from the Executive package is a pano roof and digital rear view mirror. Why did they lock that mirror down to the Exec trim? No idea. I don’t really care for the cooler or power running boards. It’s just a shame that I’m paying $4000 more for a cooler, pano roof and power running boards.

I guess there is also the AVS, so maybe it’s not too bad, but I’m not sure why those can’t be options. The lack of a 4-way lumbar support and ventilated rear seats is also surprising - unavailable on any trim.
Old 01-23-24, 03:23 PM
bamboo72
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a deposit down for my Luxury+ GX in October and am still holding strong. This will be a second, more practical vehicle for me, so sort of easy to wait on, as this is the first SUV I've really loved the looks of for a long time.

I was told I was 7th on the waitlist when I put my deposit down. Keeping my fingers crossed that they start to come in soon as I am excited to get behind the wheel of one.
Old 01-23-24, 03:31 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bamboo72
Put a deposit down for my Luxury+ GX in October and am still holding strong. This will be a second, more practical vehicle for me, so sort of easy to wait on, as this is the first SUV I've really loved the looks of for a long time.

I was told I was 7th on the waitlist when I put my deposit down. Keeping my fingers crossed that they start to come in soon as I am excited to get behind the wheel of one.
its crazy that the sales are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than in Canada. I even seen people say that in the states they have many 2023 GXs, LX600s, LCs, and RX450h+s currently on the lot, with GX550 wait lists deep into the hundreds.

Canada gets nothing…. I’ve seen one LX in PDI, 2 LCs, both used, and 1 GX on the lot. Dozens of RX, NX, UX, IS models (no IS500s).

Even being #2 on the wait list for the exec model (the Canadian Luxury + with every option), still makes me wonder how long I’ll have to wait. While the RX450h+ can be found with relatively low effort in US, the wait list in Canada is well over 1.5 years.

I’m driving an RX350h, so I’m not really in a huge rush for the GX, but still, I’m hoping it won’t be longer than a year.
Old 01-23-24, 03:35 PM
bamboo72
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I will be curious to see how long I actually end up waiting, as I am being very specific about exterior and interior color. Interestingly enough here, the dealership said most people on the waitlist are looking for white. I was the first person on the waitlist that wanted black. I am not going to settle for something I don't want so am hoping the right one comes in for me.

Quick Reply: How is your waiting for a GX going? (poll)