GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

To Overtrail or Not - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 08:53 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Overtrail or Not - Need help

Hello! I'm on a list for a 2024 GX, but I'm struggling on deciding whether or not to go w/ an overtrail model. My hope is we can take the GX on family road trips. Any thoughts on those 18" wheels and 33" tires for those types of trips? Around town I'm not worried, but if going on an extended drive I'm worried about road noise, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-24, 09:11 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
Hello! I'm on a list for a 2024 GX, but I'm struggling on deciding whether or not to go w/ an overtrail model. My hope is we can take the GX on family road trips. Any thoughts on those 18" wheels and 33" tires for those types of trips? Around town I'm not worried, but if going on an extended drive I'm worried about road noise, etc.

Thanks in advance!
If you want better handling, a truck based SUV might not be your best bet. The new TX might be better for family trips. Saves a lot of gas too since there are hybrid HEV and PHEV versions.
Old 03-13-24, 12:12 PM
Seanie
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer

Thanks in advance!
From the many reviews I've watched, the tire noise is minimal with the 33's; it was my concern too. I also noticed that many reviewers (driving on the highway, too) have mentioned how quiet the interior is overall.
The following users liked this post:
pjonkheer (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 06:42 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by asj2024
If you want better handling, a truck based SUV might not be your best bet. The new TX might be better for family trips. Saves a lot of gas too since there are hybrid HEV and PHEV versions.
You're 100% right, but I just like the GX more. Also, the larger dimensions of the TX aren't something we require, but I do like the lower price and improved mpg.
Old 03-14-24, 06:44 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Seanie
From the many reviews I've watched, the tire noise is minimal with the 33's; it was my concern too. I also noticed that many reviewers (driving on the highway, too) have mentioned how quiet the interior is overall.
Thank you! That's somewhat surprising given those meaty 33s!
Old 03-20-24, 09:55 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

I have ordered (well, placed a deposit on) the Executive (Canada, Luxury + with all options). The biggest reason I went with the Lux over OT is that there are a few things that you can't get in the OT/OT+ trim.
I have kids, and I really love the panoramic moonroof on the Lux+, having a clear view of the sky is a very big thing for me.
I also fell in love with the Digital Rear View mirror. I have no idea why the OT+ model does not include it as an option.
Then there's the interior. I like the semi-aniline leather over the NuLuxe material. Don't get me wrong, NuLuxe is durable, soft and plush, it's just the leather feels better to me.
The power-folding side steps are a nice addition, and adds a touch of class.
I also like the look of the 22" wheels more than the 18"

I find it odd that Lexus doesn't offer the digital rear view mirror as an option on the OT/OT+

Don't care for the coolbox,
pjonkheer (03-22-24)
Old 03-20-24, 10:35 AM
TrailBossGX
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would base your decision on how much off-roading you will truly do. I want a Premium+ for that reason. I have a Chevy Silverado TrailBoss now that goes offroad maybe a handful of times a year. As long as I have 4WD I don't need the bigger tires or EKDSS or terrain modes. My Chevy does most of its miles up and down the highway taking my kids to and from school and then myself to and from the office.
pjonkheer (03-22-24)