GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

OT+ vs Luxury Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 04:10 PM
K9GX24
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT+ vs Luxury Value?

With the OT+ and Luxury having the same MSRP does one have more potential resale value and desire. I have an allocation for OT+ but I really would rarely if ever go truly off road. I would also rarely if ever use the 3rd row seat in the Luxury. I do like the common other features that are only available on these trims. Thoughts on resale, value and overall desire for buyers? Thanks
Old 05-06-24, 06:44 AM
17luxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I only see value in the premium+, lux+, and ot+ trims. The rest are all pointless. If you are planning on off-roasting or really just love that look, go ot+. If you really want a pano roof, digital rear view cam, and the avs, go luxury+. If none of the above is worth 10k to you, go with the premium+.
The following 2 users liked this post by 17luxlex:
Specialeyes (05-08-24), yok3dIS (05-06-24)
Old 05-07-24, 07:55 AM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Lexus has done a terrible job in how they bundle the features on these GX's. The reality is that each config is heavily compromised and there is no ability to spec a build. I suspect the next buyers (re-sale) will face the same pickle. In fact, I think there is a risk on buying these '24 models in that the '25 and '26 builds may be corrected which would forever make the '24's less desirable (for example, some of the Lux+ features may become available on the Premiums or the Lux models will also come with proper wheels). I was originally going to get the Lux+ but even that one is compromised with the absurd wheels and pano roof which you can't even open. Toyota/Lexus has become an exercise in paying a premium for a car you don't really want, but can live with.

If you have to choose, I would go with the Lux/Lux+ because of the 3-rows (for re-sale). Hard-core offroead folks will have more options in the future with the LC and 4-runners, but the suburban folks will expect 3 rows from a GX, so in that sense, the Overtrails are possibly the most compromised because they compete with the other Toyota offerings which also have hybrid engines.
The following 3 users liked this post by calicoaster:
GS350Miami (05-08-24), skylolow (05-21-24), Specialeyes (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 08:14 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by calicoaster
I think Lexus has done a terrible job in how they bundle the features on these GX's. ...

If you have to choose, I would go with the Lux/Lux+ because of the 3-rows (for re-sale). Hard-core offroead folks will have more options in the future with the LC and 4-runners, but the suburban folks will expect 3 rows from a GX, so in that sense, the Overtrails are possibly the most compromised because they compete with the other Toyota offerings which also have hybrid engines.
I think for resale Prem/Prem+ might be better. The price diff between New Prem and Lux is pretty large and my guess is that second owners will discount the differences between them more than the base attributes that are the same between these GX trims. For example semi-aniline' leather, while prob still of some marginal value in the used market is likely to be more discounted/depreciated then what is the same between them - like body on frame, two speed transfer case, powertrain etc.
Old 05-07-24, 08:51 AM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I think for resale Prem/Prem+ might be better. The price diff between New Prem and Lux is pretty large and my guess is that second owners will discount the differences between them more than the base attributes that are the same between these GX trims. For example semi-aniline' leather, while prob still of some marginal value in the used market is likely to be more discounted/depreciated then what is the same between them - like body on frame, two speed transfer case, powertrain etc.
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I meant to really say any of the 3-row configs. If I was "forced" to buy a GX today, I would probably just go with the Premium+ because of the better wheels/tires. I could live with the NuLux. So, OP - we're recommending you get anything but the Overtrails, esp since you are not going to off-road.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 09:08 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO, the OT + with black roof will have the better resale value plus it looks better.
Old 05-07-24, 10:01 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by calicoaster
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I meant to really say any of the 3-row configs. If I was "forced" to buy a GX today, I would probably just go with the Premium+ because of the better wheels/tires. I could live with the NuLux. So, OP - we're recommending you get anything but the Overtrails, esp since you are not going to off-road.
Yeah - Actually I think they should just get the one they really want and will enjoy for the next decade or two since I imagine the actual real world relative depreciation between trims is going small and hard to really predict. If OP is already thinking about selling their GX, perhaps they would be better off just leasing one?
The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
FastTurtle (05-07-24), LexusinLa (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 10:28 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by K9GX24
With the OT+ and Luxury having the same MSRP does one have more potential resale value and desire. I have an allocation for OT+ but I really would rarely if ever go truly off road. I would also rarely if ever use the 3rd row seat in the Luxury. I do like the common other features that are only available on these trims. Thoughts on resale, value and overall desire for buyers? Thanks
If you're worried about resale on a new GX, my advice would be to lease instead of buying. If the previous GX is any indication (based on how they sell off-lease) you're going to lose about $25K of value on a 3 year <40K mile GX.

I suspect that the biggest benefit to GX resale will be the 3rd row seating option. If you're committed to buy but worried about resale, buy the cheapest GX you can get with the 3rd row.
Old 05-08-24, 11:45 AM
K9GX24
4th Gear

Thanks, some good opinions there. I’m not worried about selling, etc. just good conversation and thoughts by all. 3rd row no big deal to me and extreme off road not important either, but I might as well pick the one that has the potential of better value down the road. I will say from talking to several Lexus dealers their opinion is the OT models are the sweet spot. Who knows time will tell.
Old 05-12-24, 07:50 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

You talked to several dealerships and they told you that OT was the sweet spot? I thought it would make sense for the dealers to sell the highest priced and/or move as many as they can.

which trim are you going to get? Congrats!

Thanks, some good opinions there. I’m not worried about selling, etc. just good conversation and thoughts by all. 3rd row no big deal to me and extreme off road not important either, but I might as well pick the one that has the potential of better value down the road. I will say from talking to several Lexus dealers their opinion is the OT models are the sweet spot. Who knows time will tell.
Old 05-12-24, 06:55 PM
K9GX24
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
You talked to several dealerships and they told you that OT was the sweet spot? I thought it would make sense for the dealers to sell the highest priced and/or move as many as they can.

which trim are you going to get? Congrats!
Yes. when having general discussions and asking their opinion on future resale values. Again, opinions. I have allocation for OT+ for middle of Jun delivery.
Old 05-12-24, 07:34 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

You seem to contradict yourself here. If you’re not worried about selling in the future, why are you concerned about which trim will have the highest value down the road. Value down the road is every definitely of resale value lol.
Get the trim you really want. Don’t listen to the sales guy on which trim to get.
OT or OT+ will have more value down the road IMO since a lot of people who does off-road will be looking to get eKDSS. And luxury anything usually has a much larger depreciation.
The following users liked this post:
GoHuskers (05-13-24)
Old 05-12-24, 08:52 PM
K9GX24
4th Gear

No contradiction at all. It was a discussion and opinion. Time will tell with all.
Old 05-22-24, 11:30 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who likes the luxury wheels. Also the luxury is the only model with real leather. I think it will always out-value the other trims. YMMV, of course.
Old 05-23-24, 01:18 PM
skylolow
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 4 or 6 years I'd say the spread of value won't be that great and will be much less than it is new. It's a 70K+ vehicle and worrying about maybe a 5K difference on resale side down the road is probably nothing to worry about too much. All models are being mass produced.