GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

Bad Experience at Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 04:19 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad Experience at Dealers

Ive found a GX Overrail online on Cargurus. The salesman called me and said it is available at MSRP and has no dealer markup and that he is surprised that no one bought it. So I tell him that I would take it at MSRP plus tax and Reg fees. Since I live in MD and the dealer is in Edison, NJ, I told him I'll be there in 2 days. The next day, the sales manager called me and said do you know how popular this car is? That you can buy it today and sell it for profit tomorrow. He states that the salesman overstepped his boundaries and that he will be selling it for over 6k MSRP. I was angry and politely declined. I don't understand why they advertise the vehicle via internet sales for MSRP but yet want to overcharge me 6k. This is pure greed.

Fast-forward to yesterday. My local dealer called me, stating that there is 1 overtrail available on the lot and available for MSRP. So, I visited my local dealer and was ready to sign for the vehicle. The sales manager came out and stated that he has 3 other offers above MSRP, so he will not sell it at MSRP.

I know GX's are popular, but these dealers are ruining my Lexus experience.
The following 6 users liked this post by gvan1998:
geckornr (05-24-24), GS350Miami (05-18-24), LatinLS430 (05-18-24), LexusinLa (05-17-24), Slprciv (05-17-24), Specialeyes (05-17-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-24, 06:31 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Lexus cares very much about their reputation. This sort of Dealer abuse of Lexus' reputation should be reported to them.
I know this may not help, but its not just Lexus dealers who are like this. This sort of thing happens right across the board!
The following 2 users liked this post by RA051724:
GS350Miami (05-18-24), Planetfall (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 06:49 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

This is for another Lexus dealer. When you ask for a price quote on the dealer's website, they send you a quote for MSRP valid for seven days without dealer markup. But once you go to the dealer, they will not honor it and try to add dealer markups.

Last edited by gvan1998; 05-17-24 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 07:09 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

That sux. It is one thing to be upfront and sell with a mark up, quite another to offer a price and then raise the price at the time of the sale. Not what you want to hear but maybe in the long run they are doing you a favor? Wait out the first few batches, let early buyers find all the flaws/defects, and a bit of time for Toyota to work out those kinks. Then you can buy a more robust GX that also will be at MSRP or lower.
The following 3 users liked this post by CFAI:
FastTurtle (05-17-24), GS350Miami (05-19-24), Specialeyes (05-17-24)
Old 05-18-24, 08:12 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. There's nothing we can do except NOT buying it and don't forget to leave them a 1-star Google review. Enough of those 1-star reviews will trigger the franchise owner and Lexus reactions.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 07:28 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

The salesman called you and said the GX is available at MSRP with no markup. The same GX was also advertised online at MSRP.

You can ignore the sales manager and show the dealership the evidence.

Did you do that?

Originally Posted by gvan1998
Ive found a GX Overrail online on Cargurus. The salesman called me and said it is available at MSRP and has no dealer markup and that he is surprised that no one bought it. So I tell him that I would take it at MSRP plus tax and Reg fees. Since I live in MD and the dealer is in Edison, NJ, I told him I'll be there in 2 days. The next day, the sales manager called me and said do you know how popular this car is? That you can buy it today and sell it for profit tomorrow. He states that the salesman overstepped his boundaries and that he will be selling it for over 6k MSRP. I was angry and politely declined. I don't understand why they advertise the vehicle via internet sales for MSRP but yet want to overcharge me
Old 05-19-24, 06:43 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Yup, I did. They said its a typo and that they will correct it.
Old 05-20-24, 09:18 AM
SpiritedOak
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is worth noting some states consider this under "bait & switch" regulations and can get them in trouble with their dealer license. TTL and fees are one thing but quoting one price and them refusing to honor it is another. I would also do as others have said and pass this on to Lexus Corporate.
The following users liked this post:
FastTurtle (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 10:21 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

I see. It was false advertising and the sales manager told you, as stated above,The next day, the sales manager called me and said do you know how popular this car is? That you can buy it today and sell it for profit tomorrow.“

Lexus Corporate and Legal team would be happy to hear your bad experience.

Old 05-21-24, 08:26 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I see. It was false advertising and the sales manager told you, as stated above,The next day, the sales manager called me and said do you know how popular this car is? That you can buy it today and sell it for profit tomorrow.“

Lexus Corporate and Legal team would be happy to hear your bad experience.
I had issues with the dealer from whom I bought my off lease 2016 GX in 2019. Lexus corporate just told me "we don't control dealers".
Old 05-21-24, 09:09 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Sorry to hear that. What issues did you have? Is it the same as OP?

Lexus owners usually receives a survey from Lexus Guest Experience when a transaction such as buying and service is made.

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
I had issues with the dealer from whom I bought my off lease 2016 GX in 2019. Lexus corporate just told me "we don't control dealers".
Old 05-21-24, 06:16 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
Ive found a GX Overrail online on Cargurus. The salesman called me and said it is available at MSRP and has no dealer markup and that he is surprised that no one bought it. So I tell him that I would take it at MSRP plus tax and Reg fees. Since I live in MD and the dealer is in Edison, NJ, I told him I'll be there in 2 days. The next day, the sales manager called me and said do you know how popular this car is? That you can buy it today and sell it for profit tomorrow. He states that the salesman overstepped his boundaries and that he will be selling it for over 6k MSRP. I was angry and politely declined. I don't understand why they advertise the vehicle via internet sales for MSRP but yet want to overcharge me 6k. This is pure greed.

Fast-forward to yesterday. My local dealer called me, stating that there is 1 overtrail available on the lot and available for MSRP. So, I visited my local dealer and was ready to sign for the vehicle. The sales manager came out and stated that he has 3 other offers above MSRP, so he will not sell it at MSRP.

I know GX's are popular, but these dealers are ruining my Lexus experience.
I actually went to this dealer and test drove a luxury plus model which they tried to sell me but i did not want the roof rack. I placed an order for a luxury plus with no roof rack and made sure that the email stated that it was at msrp and no mark up which i should receive in July.

I tried buying one from lexus of englewood and tri state lexus which they tried to charge me 5k markup and i left them a 1 star review on google and the next day i had both dealers blowing up my phone stating that it was a communication mistake and that they would order me one at msrp and i declined. Those review actually work.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rolando:
GoHuskers (05-21-24), Slprciv (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 08:15 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolando
I actually went to this dealer and test drove a luxury plus model which they tried to sell me but i did not want the roof rack. I placed an order for a luxury plus with no roof rack and made sure that the email stated that it was at msrp and no mark up which i should receive in July.

I tried buying one from Lexus of Englewood and tri state Lexus which they tried to charge me 5k markup and i left them a 1 star review on google and the next day i had both dealers blowing up my phone stating that it was a communication mistake and that they would order me one at msrp and i declined. Those review actually work.
Tri State Lexus?!! Oh man. Maybe the only places in the area worse than Tri State are either Lexus Manhattan or Bay Ridge Lexus (maybe they renamed to Lexus Brooklyn). All three of them I have had terrible experiences with. I never bought a car from them, but I got good service from Lexus Edison. Sort of surprised Englewood jerked you around - but is has been over 15 years since we bought something from them so maybe things have changed.
Old 05-22-24, 03:48 AM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Tri State Lexus?!! Oh man. Maybe the only places in the area worse than Tri State are either Lexus Manhattan or Bay Ridge Lexus (maybe they renamed to Lexus Brooklyn). All three of them I have had terrible experiences with. I never bought a car from them, but I got good service from Lexus Edison. Sort of surprised Englewood jerked you around - but is has been over 15 years since we bought something from them so maybe things have changed.
i forget to mention lexus of manhattan as well they tried to charge me 5k to place a order with a 5k markup. I’ve done business with lexus of queens and lexus of ramsey in which i can’t complain. This gx550 would be my 4th lexus that i buy if nothing shady happens. My dad bought a gx460 in lexus of manhattan which was a pretty straight forward deal since he is very well off financially.
Old 05-23-24, 06:01 AM
Deusex23
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After dealing with four different Lexus dealers I finally found honest salesman in NJ Lexus dealer. Just bought Lux plus at MSRP. no issues.

Quick Reply: Bad Experience at Dealers