GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 09:17 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
If true I’m out. No V8 means no new customer here and a new LX was being considered for a few years down the road. I’ll buy used and keep it on the road until I die. Big mistake Toyota. Ugh I hate I4 & V6 turbo engines in vehicles that needs a damn V8. If I want a turbo for higher altitude driving I’ll add one on a V8.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (06-21-21)
Old 05-10-21, 10:12 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Ill take a GTDI V6, especially if it has toyota’a alleged reliability.
Old 05-11-21, 01:44 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
If true I’m out. No V8 means no new customer here and a new LX was being considered for a few years down the road. I’ll buy used and keep it on the road until I die. Big mistake Toyota. Ugh I hate I4 & V6 turbo engines in vehicles that needs a damn V8. If I want a turbo for higher altitude driving I’ll add one on a V8.
agreed, it may not be fast but the current V8 is more than adequate for DD and offroad. It's silky smooth and the engine sound fits the boxy profile of the GX.
Old 05-11-21, 01:59 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

You can ignore the vid. The guy said the GX will come in Hybrid form only, unless I missed something. Which sounds kinda dumb.
Old 05-11-21, 04:12 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheHighLow;[url=tel:11050000
11050000]agreed, it may not be fast but the current V8 is more than adequate for DD and offroad. It's silky smooth and the engine sound fits the boxy profile of the GX.
so the mpg, low end torque and towing performance can’t be improved?

a 2.7L GTDI will run circles around the current V8 in all of those categories. The only thing left to complain about is the sound

Last edited by skrypj; 05-11-21 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 05:28 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skrypj
so the mpg, low end torque and towing performance can’t be improved?

a 2.7L GTDI will run circles around the current V8 in all of those categories. The only thing left to complain about is the sound
i prefer the sound and feel of a V8, especially in a heavy *** vehicle like the GX460. Nothing like hearing that V8 come alive when you mash the throttle. It enhances my driving experiences. I didn't buy this for good MPG's. And I love the fact that this engine is pretty much bulletproof.

I also prefer the 5.0 in the F150, the sounds and feel of the engine in the cabin just fits the truck better.

a 2.7L is gonna sound like a weedwhacker sorry, no thanks. it's ok in an X5 or a RX350. Heck the 4.0L in the 4Runner sounds better than the 3.5 in the Tacoma

Last edited by TheHighLow; 05-11-21 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 06:16 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheHighLow;[url=tel:11050104
11050104]i prefer the sound and feel of a V8, especially in a heavy *** vehicle like the GX460. Nothing like hearing that V8 come alive when you mash the throttle. It enhances my driving experiences. I didn't buy this for good MPG's. And I love the fact that this engine is pretty much bulletproof.

I also prefer the 5.0 in the F150, the sounds and feel of the engine in the cabin just fits the truck better.

a 2.7L is gonna sound like a weedwhacker sorry, no thanks. it's ok in an X5 or a RX350. Heck the 4.0L in the 4Runner sounds better than the 3.5 in the Tacoma
Well to bad for you that Toyota will have to do something to keep up with the Cafe requirements since their V8’s suck in that regard.

your either gunna get a turbo motor or some V8 with a crappy displacement on demand system.

why do you think they put that dog crap 3.5 in the Tacoma? Its their best selling truck so they were aiming for mpg. It certainly wasn’t for driving enjoyment.

and hell, the V8 in the GX kinda sucks when it comes to throttle tuning and transmission tuning. Thats why I got the pedal commander and its still not great. Are they just that bad at tuning or are they trying to get the thing to squeak out another 10th on an mpg?

Last edited by skrypj; 05-11-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 01:04 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

After towing my travel trailer 2.5 hours through Wyoming yesterday, it reaffirmed that I would gladly welcome a GTDI making similar power numbers or even a little less than the 4.6L. The 4.6L was pretty much at its limits in terms of power and I was having to rev it pretty good just to maintain speed on flat roads because I was fighting a headwind. Was pretty much hopping back and forth between 3 and 4000 rpm the whole way and a few times had to jump up to 5k.

Even just heading out to pick up the trailer it was hunting a lot and having to climb in 4th gear.

A nice GTDI that can make 330 torque at lower RPM and still produce it at the elevations i was at would make it a lot more enjoyable.
Old 05-18-21, 01:22 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skrypj
After towing my travel trailer 2.5 hours through Wyoming yesterday, it reaffirmed that I would gladly welcome a GTDI making similar power numbers or even a little less than the 4.6L. The 4.6L was pretty much at its limits in terms of power and I was having to rev it pretty good just to maintain speed on flat roads because I was fighting a headwind. Was pretty much hopping back and forth between 3 and 4000 rpm the whole way and a few times had to jump up to 5k.

Even just heading out to pick up the trailer it was hunting a lot and having to climb in 4th gear.

A nice GTDI that can make 330 torque at lower RPM and still produce it at the elevations i was at would make it a lot more enjoyable.
no thank you. This truck needs a V8.
Old 05-18-21, 03:27 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
no thank you. This truck needs a V8.
Need is a strong word.

I prefer function over form. Listening to the V8 drone away at 4000 rpm for 20 minutes straight kinda takes away from the "driving experience".

Ill buy a Mustang 5.0 or SRT Durango if I was really looking for an exhilarating experience.
Old 05-18-21, 09:48 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the non turbo, non direct injected tried and true V8 that the GX has.

Sounds like you need a turbo charger pickup for your towing needs...

With all the gear hunting, I would love to have seen your ATF temperatures for your trip.....
Old 05-19-21, 07:58 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
I like the non turbo, non direct injected tried and true V8 that the GX has.

Sounds like you need a turbo charger pickup for your towing needs...

With all the gear hunting, I would love to have seen your ATF temperatures for your trip.....
Not sure if that is sarcasm or not. My turbocharged truck was not towing because I had a transmission cooler line blow in the middle of a national forest on Sunday, so i went and recovered the trailer with the GX, refilled the transmission in the truck and got it home.

I installed a trans cooler on the GX. Temps never got above 205F on this trip. My past trip, before the cooler, I saw 245F so I got home and changed the fluid out and added the cooler right away. But Toyota seems to like to put lackluster transmission cooling in the new trucks so it must not be a huge deal for them. 245F is what the Tundra hit in the recent TFLTruck IKE test.

The GX actually tows the trailer surprisingly well other than the lack of power. Stability and handling wise it's pretty good. You feel things a little more than my truck but my truck is 6200 lbs empty and has a 157" wheelbase so that is to be expected. I had no issues with the GX in crosswinds or on some of the twisty mountain roads and no problem doing 70mph on I-80. Power is the one area it lacks.

At the end of the day, the next engine won't be a non-turbo and/or non-direct injected. It simply won't. The best you can hope for is a DI V8 with cylinder deactivation, but all signs point to the next truck motor being a TT V6 with direct injection. Toyota doesn't care what you think, they are going to develop engines that make sure they are not paying fines out the Wazoo to the EPA. Look what happened with the Tacoma motor. Difference between the Tacoma and the Tundra/LC/Possibly GX is the TT V6 will actually have some decent low end power.
Old 05-19-21, 08:17 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Does any manufacturer currently make a cylinder deactivation engine that works well? I've only heard bad reports of reliability and complications from that technology. I would imagine that toyota engineers would make a decent version, however like everything, an increase in complexity leads to an increase chance of failure.
Old 05-19-21, 09:23 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xychromo
Does any manufacturer currently make a cylinder deactivation engine that works well? I've only heard bad reports of reliability and complications from that technology. I would imagine that toyota engineers would make a decent version, however like everything, an increase in complexity leads to an increase chance of failure.
I don't think the GM system is as bad as people make it sound. And I believe their new system called DFM is pretty good and very smooth because it can run on anything from 1 to 8 cylinders instead of just 4 or 8. So as you need more power they just bring more cylinders online. I have driven a bunch of Tahoe/Suburbans and one Silverado 1500 that had the old AFM system that was just 4 or 8 cylinder, and you could tell. It would go into V4 mode and felt like it. It would tend to want to hang in V4 mode unless you gave it a lot of gas. Even the smallest hills on the interstate would result in it going back to V8. The one suburban i had i rented in the Bay Area and drove out to Yosemite and back. It did get stellar MPG. I think I averaged nearly 24 mpg for the whole trip in that land yacht

Ram's system sucked because they had a bad batch of cams is my understanding.

But since Toyota uses DOHC motors, I don't know how it works. I know the 2021 F150 5.0 now has cylinder deactivation and is DOHC. I am not positive how they do it but it is V4 or V8 only.

But at the end of the day, you are right, the complexity increases. This is why I don't see a GTDI as a bad thing. Is a TT V6 really worse than a V8 with DoD and other fancy wizardry to make it more efficient? Turbos are not complex. They are not expensive. And they are not hard to replace if one did fail. They hang off the side of the motor and have like 6 bolts at most holding them in. Almost everything DoD related is inside of the motor and is much more complex to fix.

Last edited by skrypj; 05-19-21 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-19-21, 10:44 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

There is still the Nissan Armada. That will get you a LC size engine/truck but at GX price.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion