GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 08:40 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Great point and analogy. Looks like we are several months away from a hybrid GX.
For someone that works in tech industry, what would be a big NO tech update for a new GX?
Any "no-tech" upgrade on the GX is improbable, in my opinion, just based on what's trending in the automotive industry. More computers in vehicles in the coming years is simply inevitable. Level 5 self-driving automation is inevitable and for fully self-driving vehicles to work, ALL vehicles on the road must be fully self-driving. It can't be mixed with human drivers. For those who are excited about a "high-tech" GX, you can be sure Toyota and Lexus will get there. For those who are NOT excited about more computers and nannies in vehicles, and I fall in that category, I hate to say it but buy what you can now and hold on to it. There are already enough computers in the 2022 GX as it is. It will only increase in future models.

I'm in the tech industry --network, systems, cloud engineering and currently doing telecom/smart infrastructure type of work. I build and integrate, from design to engineering to execution (and documentation), of 4G/LTE or 5G robots like John Deere trucks harvesting grapes at wineries, or peanut farms, warehouse robots, etc. This is what 5G was meant to cater to. I've said this in other posts here, but me choosing the '22 GX over the '23 Tundra (or other '23 Toyotas and GX) was influenced by what I said above. I know it's weird that I sound like someone who resists "more tech" and yet I work right smack dab in the middle of the cutting edge of integrating more tech and much closer to our every day lives. Haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
SEELEXUS (05-24-22), tiadesiree (05-30-22)
Old 05-24-22, 12:38 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 334 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I've read and heard opinions from people, taken with a grain of salt of course, that due to poor quality and manufacturing, they lead all manufacturers in recalls. I've heard from some that every single Tesla ever made has been recalled at least once. This is also reflected on the JD Power scores where GX and RX dominate year after year. Tesla is constantly LAST place. Coincidentally, around where I live, the roads are dominated by Lexus vehicles AND Teslas. I also see a lot of "Carmax" stickers on many Teslas which always made me wonder how the newer models are already bought used. These are just my observations, which are anecdotal for this discussion at best, and I'm not here to knock on Tesla. I'm curious to hear what y'all thought about that.

Just for context, I've considered buying a Tesla so many times over the years but I never pulled the trigger due to the range anxiety thing.
FYI, JD Power is a crock of ****. I used to have that client and those research projects at my previous company when I was in market research. Those “awards” and the research used to analyze are a joke. Plus people are stupid.

Not defending Tesla here, with that I’ll add that every other automaker has had very large recalls. How about that last large recall for Toyota I just had to have done to my brand new 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime? The recall affected over 460,000 Toyota products. Recalls don’t bother me when it comes to technology because technology as a thing is only as good as the idiot developers are creating the stuff and the monkeys installing it. I see this everyday now that I’m back in the IT and Security services industry.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...us-vehicles-7/
Old 05-24-22, 01:40 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
FYI, JD Power is a crock of ****. I used to have that client and those research projects at my previous company when I was in market research. Those “awards” and the research used to analyze are a joke. Plus people are stupid.

Not defending Tesla here, with that I’ll add that every other automaker has had very large recalls. How about that last large recall for Toyota I just had to have done to my brand new 2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime? The recall affected over 460,000 Toyota products. Recalls don’t bother me when it comes to technology because technology as a thing is only as good as the idiot developers are creating the stuff and the monkeys installing it. I see this everyday now that I’m back in the IT and Security services industry.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...us-vehicles-7/
Okay, granted that. So, let's omit the JD Power score comment I made. Are the rest of the stuff I've heard/read true or untrue? Serious question. "Every Tesla out has been recalled at least once", "poor manufacturing and quality", etc.

Having been a tinkerer/engineer pretty much all of my life, I thoroughly enjoy technology (and our progress with technology) as hobbies, but as I get older, I much prefer mechanical stuff over a combination of electrical and automation. I deal with that for work all day long and besides looking at yet another screen while driving, like someone mentioned above, I hate the thought of troubleshooting home electronics (laptops, desktops, etc.) in my own home AND now my car, too. Haha. I already hate the thought of a CEL light and pulling codes as it is. To me, it would suck so much more to ADD to that. (If only I knew what value my grandfather's 40-series Land Cruiser had. Sigh.)

I haven't looked into a Tesla (or done any kind of research) --features, price, reputation, reliability, etc., in a while. The people who I personally know (neighbors and friends) who drive Tesla only bought theirs this year... newer than my 2022 GX, in fact! It's hard to gauge when they're still in the honeymoon phase. The one thing they all can't stop talking about is the speed/instant torque, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 05-24-22, 02:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Let's try to keep it on 3rd gen discussion

There is the Car Chat area for other makes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/

Thanks!
The following 7 users liked this post by Acrad:
dwh13 (11-07-22), FastTurtle (05-24-22), MrTorgue (05-24-22), Seanzky (05-24-22), SEELEXUS (05-26-22), tiadesiree (05-30-22), Vlad6525 (05-25-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-22, 03:45 PM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I would love PHEV version of the GX so maybe when something comes out in 4 or 5 years I will look to trade in for the 3rd Gen- but Tesla? No Thanks. I work in tech and the very last thing I want to do is have to constantly interact with a monitor and nested menus while driving. For me a car is more like furniture than technology. Under the hood can be electronics but I want the human/car interface to be analog/physical.
I can not agree more on this. Car is a tool for me to get from A to B reliably. Software and OTA update is a complex thing. I would love to see lexus to release a hybrid model for GX.

​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 05-26-22, 03:32 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

A bigger gas tank will do it for me. 30 gallons.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (05-27-22)
Old 05-27-22, 05:22 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
A bigger gas tank will do it for me. 30 gallons.
I agree. I would love to see the 3rd row optional --making the truck slightly lighter, cheaper, etc., which can also offset the weight of the added fuel capacity.

Would having a switch that can turn off the 4WD and select FWD or RWD help a lot with MPG? Imagine a FWD, RWD, 4HI (what we have now all the time), and 4LO (option we have now). I know that adds complexity to the driveline, but would the added weight and cost would be worth it? I often wonder about that, because I think city-driving in FWD would probably raise the average maybe by about 2-3 MPG. And if that's the case, that would be a total game-changer.
Old 05-27-22, 07:07 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my two cents, but this kind of set up would add a ton of complexity, and/or wear/tear on the driveline. Would either make it more minivan like with a FWD focus, and only shifting power to the rear as needed, or an extremely complex transfer case with manual inputs. One is just like every other crossover, and the over is overly complex.
Old 05-27-22, 08:54 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sjz
Just my two cents, but this kind of set up would add a ton of complexity, and/or wear/tear on the driveline. Would either make it more minivan like with a FWD focus, and only shifting power to the rear as needed, or an extremely complex transfer case with manual inputs. One is just like every other crossover, and the over is overly complex.
No, I don't mean to turn the 4WD into AWD. I don't think anyone wants that, especially for a truck. I meant that it wouldn't be fulltime 4WD. It would be FWD or RWD with the option to go into 4WD HI or 4WD LO, just like how the Tacoma and 4Runner are, for example.
Old 11-06-22, 11:34 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

https://bestcarweb.jp/feature/column/541127

Rumored illustration of 2024 LC Prado

Old 11-06-22, 11:47 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

As long as it has a turbo engine I am saying no. I am ready for the wave, currently have a 3UZ, a 1UR, and a 3UR. I can go 20 years without buying a new vehicle.
Old 11-06-22, 12:40 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Since they struggle with production of the LC300'LX600, and if the new Prado/GX isn't made on the same factory line as the current 150, maybe they can do both lines like Ram did with the classic 1500 for a year or two. Prob makes zero sense from a production and marketing POV but, there is precedent in the industry.
Acrad (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 03:04 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 355 Posts

Come to the conclusion an EV SUV isn’t worth it as much as I want one (like rivian r1s) so whenever it’s announced the V8 BOF GX460 is going away as it is manufactured today, gonna go out a buy another one asap while we still can… will drive that and our 2017 thru retirement , another 25, 30 years….
Acrad (11-06-22)
Old 11-08-22, 08:20 AM
ryosuke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its fine the way it is, not looking forward to the new tt models
Old 12-03-22, 06:51 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Possible introduction of LC Prado to Canada and US as reintroduction of Toyota LC?

SEELEXUS (12-04-22)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion