GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 04:52 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
The GX will still be built in Japan ! Please stop with false rumors.
Can we get confirmation of that at some point because it does matter. Japan > everywhere else.
Old 05-26-23, 05:05 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Siblue
Where was it confirmed that it’s Texas built?
I know it’ll be announce at HQ which is in Texas
According to Kirk Kreifels😜 He said made in Texas citing Lexus global newsroom. He could be wrong about it.
Old 05-26-23, 05:08 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Can we get confirmation of that at some point because it does matter. Japan > everywhere else.
We will know by June 8😀
Old 05-26-23, 05:14 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
According to Kirk Kreifels😜 He said made in Texas citing Lexus global newsroom. He could be wrong about it.
He said in the video he wasn't sure where the reveal of the new GX would be, he heard Texas through the global newsroom. It had nothing to do with where it is built.
The following users liked this post:
Carmaker1 (05-26-23)
Old 05-26-23, 06:26 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

He said in the video he wasn't sure where the reveal of the new GX would be, he heard Texas through the global newsroom. It had nothing to do with where it is built.
The reveal is for both the GX and TX is in Austin, TX. my understanding.
The following 2 users liked this post by jphcbpa:
Carmaker1 (05-26-23), jer (05-26-23)
Old 05-26-23, 06:27 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

The Lexus GX has always been built at the Tahara assembly plant. It’s considered one of the finest assembly plants in the world. I hope they don’t move the production somewhere else.
The following 4 users liked this post by Carnevino:
Carmaker1 (05-26-23), MrTorgue (05-26-23), pacnwatx (06-01-23), Siblue (05-26-23)
Old 05-26-23, 07:49 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carnevino
The Lexus GX has always been built at the Tahara assembly plant. It’s considered one of the finest assembly plants in the world. I hope they don’t move the production somewhere else.
I'm sure it will continue to be, especially with a new model. They would not move a new model to the states, with something as important as the GX.
Carmaker1 (05-26-23)
Old 05-26-23, 09:50 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm sure it will continue to be, especially with a new model. They would not move a new model to the states, with something as important as the GX.
I won’t say just because of new model, it won’t be build in US or other countries. TX is a new model in the line and will be build outside of Japan. However, GX is more so part of LC Prado, which is currently build and tooling in Japan, from manufacturing costing and processing, it will not be logical and practical to move GX to US, consider the overall volume that will be anticipated.

Last edited by hzhao; 05-27-23 at 05:10 AM.
Carmaker1 (05-27-23)
Old 05-26-23, 11:10 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

A GX built anywhere else would be a travesty. Unfortately the TX will likely not be built there...
pacnwatx (06-01-23)
Old 05-26-23, 12:08 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jphcbpa
Austin or Plano? If Austin, you know where? - I am here and will try to gate crash.
Old 05-26-23, 03:31 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Austin or Plano? If Austin, you know where? - I am here and will try to gate crash.
Austin, evening of June 8 per the Lexus website
Old 05-26-23, 06:51 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX will be offered with the 3.44L twin-turbo V6 V35A-FTS, offered in VJA310 Lexus LX 600, as the 2024 GX 550.

It will also be offered as the hybridized GX 550h, powered by the T24A-FTS hybrid 2.4T aka i-Force MAX.

Toyota division will now reintroduce the famed nameplate, Land Cruiser on the cousin to this new GX, which will be known as the Land Cruiser Prado in some international markets.

The all new Toyota Land Cruiser is described by my very credible Toyota HQ source as the competitor to these* vehicles shown in these images. It is basically a retro throwback, that references the FJ Cruiser and 70-Series LC.

All I know is right now, that the i-Force Max T24A hybrid will be offered in this vehicle as well, like the 4Runner Hybrid and Tacoma.

It has been rumored (I'm skeptical), that the V35A-FTS V6 will also be offered on the Land Cruiser as well. We'll see about that part.

I don't believe it can go topless like the Bronco, but I haven't been privileged with confirmation of that either. It is very hardcore is all I can say, from anyone who has discussed this vehicle with me the past 3 1/2 years, when it was announced to Toyota personnel in September 2019 at a conference (with no date yet identified).

It will arrive in Toyota showrooms in the spring of 2024 around Easter, targeted to sell 30k units annually in the price range of $50k and coming in loaded at $20k in MSRP, below the 2021 Land Cruiser. It will not crack $70k I guess.

GX will come in loaded about $15-20k above that figure. GX has an overlanding variant akin to GXOR and will cost even more with accessories. That's where it is $80-90k.

So, the topmost Land Cruiser will be $15-20k+ less than the Bronco Raptor's starting MSRP of $88k. I think that's something to be excited about.

I've also heard about the 2025 4Runner quite in-depth, but I consider it too off-topic to discuss in this Lexus-focused thread. Evolutionary, I4-only. No manual transmission from Tacoma. Know about the design. Next year fall.

Now it is official the 2024 is to be made in Texas, another reason to grab a 2023 when you can.
Nothing is official, it remains as-is. You watch Kirk Kriefels, a commentator on YouTube who doesn't have any inside line at Toyota and has missed a lot of things right in front of him for years.

I actually found someone at Lexus in one of his comment sections years ago and reached out to them privately for my own benefit and since I wouldn't blab in a video. Learned a great deal of other things about the 2024 GX, from the them. They work for Lexus and tried to help Kirk out by throwing out hints.

He ignored them and never made any acknowledgment of the gift he'd been given from SEVERAL insiders in his comment section.

He's too bliss to pay any attention to clues and just stumbles left and right on the most obvious things, yet never accepts fault when proven wrong.

Guys like David Chao, TRDJon, and Kirk irk me, because they have a large following that they can easily lead astray. In this case, I cannot blame him.

You unfortunately took him out of context, since he didn't state that. Something that big of a change, I get people are busy and hear one thing...you gotta just be sure you heard right always.

Often this is how false rumors get passed around and make it hard to keep everyone on the same page, something that I strive for on unreleased vehicles not yet public.

I make mistakes too. When I got some serious info wrong about another related redesign a few months ago, it was instead from disinformation passed onto me verbatim from a few Toyota peeps in the same trade.

I owned up to that mistake in many online spaces, but it wasn't from me not simply vetting what I heard. I plainly got deliberately tricked and it became hard to know the truth, from other Toyota+ people being unwilling to clear things up for me, until very last minute. When 3-4 months had passed by and it became hard to make retractions unilaterally. A lot of people try to use that against me, but people make mistakes.

Toyota only has the TMMTX factory in San Antonio, which hasn't announced any changes to assembly plants, that would add another vehicle. They haven't at all in fact, since January 2020 (Sequoia) and 2010 (Tacoma).

They announce these things very early, to avoid unwelcome leaks during tooling trial phases 1 year ahead of official production start.

Rule of thumb going forward should tell anyone, don't expect any factory assembly location change on a Toyota vehicle, if it hasn't been announced at least 1.5 to 3 years before release or production.

We wouldn't be finding out during model reveal, that it's going to be produced in another country all of a sudden. No manufacturer works like that, only dysfunctional companies do.

Anyone who wants a 2023 GX, should get one. I wasn't kidding when I stated in 2021, Lexus is kicking out the traditional non-enthusiast GX customer base and pushing them to the TX and LX.

Originally Posted by Siblue
Where was it confirmed that it’s Texas built?
I know it’ll be announce at HQ which is in Texas
Just bad rumors being passed around, from missed context. Often being taken out of context like Kirk in this case, it gets very frustrating TBH when you are trying to keep people informed.

I had thought HQ myself from the first teaser to this recent announcement yesterday (finally mentioning Austin), but I bit my tongue and didn't want to hint at HQ again, until absolutely certain. Good decision I made to shut up, since I would've been wrong and spreading false info.

The GX will still be built in Japan ! Please stop with false rumors.
Thank you x1000. It's very important to get the context right in anything stated, especially if coming from someone else. It gets frustrating to be putting out fires, over misinformation and false rumors.

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Well, we don't need confirmation. Toyota like clockwork always announces production locations shifts for every product they sell in this market, including many others they don't. To switch locations for a Lexus model, we would've known about it already in 2020-2021. The TX production location being Indiana was announced in 2021, GX is 100% staying in Japan at Tahara. Although I am not an official, I have heard from them that production commences at Tahara in October and the first units arrive in dealers during December at earliest.

Exactly, it very much doesn't have anything to do with where it's built. Taking someone out of context, results in so much hearsay and false rumors being passed around. On the other hand, I've seen someone imply something like this too from no single source to cite and I shut it down, because there's no logic behind it. Keep even seeing the same nonsense peddled about 4Runner production moving to Texas, when that's not been announced and it's too late to execute by MY 2025.

Originally Posted by jphcbpa
I saw that yesterday somewhere else, but thank you for sharing. I wasn't sure initially, because the first useful Lexus sources were from Europe and Japan. Lexus Europe listed June 9th at Central Europe Time on May 11th. USA waited 2 damn weeks (yesterday the 25th) to announce the reveal date, for some weird as hell reason, which finally included the 8PM ET time for June 8th.

Toyota and Lexus USA press relations suck at how they treat Americans like children. I don't see why Europe and Japan get a heads up, 2 weeks sooner than we do. It's poor communication for such a large company. They like to drag these things out.

It's not something to worry about, since there's no proof that even gives credibility to such an assertion. Following Toyota assembly changes down to a science, they've never moved production of any model without announcing it at least 2 years beforehand. I remember when I found out in 2017, that NX production would come to Canada next generation. No one had heard that out of Toyota.

It wasn't even announced until 2 years later in April 2019 and Canadian NX production began in March 2022. My source got that intel in 2016, so they know these decisions for years and won't announce it last minute.

TX production was announced for Indiana (TMMI), back in April 2021. GX would've been announced 2-3 years ago, if anything was changing. They were considering the 4Runner to TMMGT in Mexico, but I think it's not gonna happen anymore, because they haven't made an announcement on that and production begins summer next year. Land Cruiser, GX, and 4Runner will continue to be made in Tahara through the end of 2024. Can't speak on if Toyota any minute now will announce additional 4Runner production for Mexico, which would be 2025-26 at earliest.

Yeah, 100% aren't. It's too late to make such location changes. Production begins in October at Tahara, for December first deliveries. I've been saying this a very long time (since 2021), so that post above definitely contradicts my statements from credible sources keeping me informed. They've been aiming for December 2023 release since 2020 and might just meet that deadline as planned. If not, early 2024.

Originally Posted by hzhao
I won’t say just because of new model, it won’t be build in US or other countries. TX is a new model in the line and will be build outside of Japan. However, GX is more so part of LC Prada, which is currently build and tooling in Japan, from manufacturing costing and processing, it will not be logical and practical to move GX to US, consider the overall volume that will be anticipated.
Exactly and they would've announced a LONG time ago. Most of us in the industry, are often forced to announce production location changes, additions, or construction well in advance for a variety of factors involved. They've already delayed the new Land Cruiser Prado by 3-4 months, to make space for GX startup and launch in October-Dec 2023. After that, Land Cruiser Prado production begins in January. Then 6 or more months later, all new 4Runner production begins. Land Cruiser returns to USA by April and new 4Runner, arrives in the fall.

Originally Posted by CFAI
I think I might be able to find out where in Austin, as I swear I saw something highlighting the venue location...

But gate crash? LOL, maybe you should reach out to them and discuss your existing relationship as an avid Lexus customer. It might go a long way for you and get you an invite possibly.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-27-23 at 02:12 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Carmaker1:
devans101 (05-27-23), GX4602011 (05-27-23), hzhao (05-27-23), pacnwatx (06-01-23), RDLGX (05-27-23), Specialeyes (06-10-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-23, 03:59 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

My bad. I listened one more time the relevant part and he did not say where it is made.
The following 2 users liked this post by JZZFZZ:
Carmaker1 (05-27-23), RDLGX (05-27-23)
Old 05-27-23, 06:39 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

@Carmaker1 :Thank you for clearing up bad information. You took a lot of time in doing this. We can all look forward to June 8 and see what happens with a vehicle so many of us love ! THE GX !!
The following 2 users liked this post by RDLGX:
Carmaker1 (05-27-23), GX4602011 (05-27-23)
Old 05-27-23, 03:03 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

My bad. I listened one more time the relevant part and he did not say where it is made.
I understand Kirk's mission statement, but I am very irritated about a lot of the conjecture he preaches like it is fact. People trust way too much.

I make mistakes just like anyone else, but I do my best to never take anyone out of context, so that the message I'm passing along makes sense and doesn't get lost in translation.

If I am skeptical, I'm just going to leave a disclaimer, so in the event it's wrong later, I have context for why it turned out that way.

I briefly thought this was the 2024 GX, because of my trusted source flippantly endorsing it as BOF. He was damn wrong and made me look stupid. It was the new TX instead. Only after being informed of a reliable source disputing my claim, did I apologize and change my prediction.

I've said worse...
Spoiler

Not all insiders are well informed, many are BSing and are in different departments that freeze them out from knowing about other models in development.

If they can't get all the facts, then I certainly don't trust YouTubers nor news journalists at all, plus many others anymore. I do not work for Toyota, so I have to rely on insiders who do.

Most people won't know them, often from not working in my trade nor in an industry hub like the Detroit Metro Area.

Just be very discerning with news coverage on Japanese vehicles, from Western journalists or vloggers. They mostly don't know anything

@Carmaker1 :Thank you for clearing up bad information. You took a lot of time in doing this. We can all look forward to June 8 and see what happens with a vehicle so many of us love ! THE GX !!
My pleasure, I just want all of us on the same page. Whether it's Acrad, you, or anyone else interested in this vehicle contributing new info, we are all the better for it.

I'm not one of those people who wants to just center themselves in a discussion (like many users in Car Chat), but I do like to fill in the blanks and keep us all updated.

I wanted to bring up these renderings with you, if you don't mind.

​​​​​​

Mag X Rendering 2023 - Has the right C/D Pillar

BestCar Rendering of 2024 Land Cruiser Prado

BestCar Rendering of 2024 Land Cruiser Prado

WhichCar Australia Rendering of 2024 Land Cruiser Prado

WhichCar Australia

This is what Japanese and Australian media have been touting as the replacement for the twinned Toyota Prado J150. However, that's absolutely not what we are getting in showrooms...

This rendering, is NOT reflective of the next 4Runner. Motor Trend seems to think so. According to insiders or those informed in the dealer body, they say this is more representative of the 2024 Land Cruiser making the rounds secretly.

Motor Trend is confused and the public expects better of them. They should get a damn clue.

These are the closest to the next 4Runner right now. the latter the 4Runner TRD PRO at least.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-27-23 at 03:45 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Carmaker1:
GX4602011 (05-27-23), jphcbpa (05-30-23), pacnwatx (06-01-23), Specialeyes (06-10-23), TexasFunRunner (05-30-23), tiadesiree (05-28-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion