GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 02:35 PM
Madtiger
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
What is an F sport vehicle these days anyway? Basically an appearance pack and/or AVS.
Adding some ground effects, new wheels, and AVS (aka the same thing in a Lux) pack wont be hard. If they follow the LX, drive modes will feature different maps via a button. Not too hard to make.

GX has 90% of the package on 1% of trims aka Luxo. The LSS+ has a lot more range of control in the DRCC system (down to 0) and etc, check the earlier posts.

Turn Assist has nothing to do with LSS, its an offroad feature, where the inside wheels are locked/braked to reduce turning circle. If the GX is at the end of its lifecycle, what would they do to fill in the gap that would be void in an SUV dominant market? If they are going to replace it, nothing on the horizon fits the criteria till MY2023 at the earliest. The RXL is not going to cut it. Plus, the GX line is shared with the Prado, and (im not too sure about the 4 Runner), it`d cost them nothing to keep it running.

Not saying I know whats gonna happen, but lot of things to consider.
By end of cycle does NOT mean that Lexus stops making it. They will continue on. But i doubt that they will add much if at all to the GX. But I could be wrong. Will see.
Old 02-15-19, 01:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Madtiger

By end of cycle does NOT mean that Lexus stops making it. They will continue on. But i doubt that they will add much if at all to the GX. But I could be wrong. Will see.
At this point 9 MYs LOL, if they intend to keep this going, you better drop discounts down to 25+%
Old 02-16-19, 04:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Add onto a Luxury the missing items within this list below from a Canadian Executive trim package

====================================

This really isn't a 3G comment but more 2020...

With the Multi Terrain Monitor going on the Tacoma maybe they will finally add that to the Driver Support Package of US "LUXURY" Models as seen on Canadian models. This would then help to differentiate the purely speculative "standard Driver Support Package" on all models. This would add the driver side mirror camera that is currently absent. Just a shuffling around of features that have long been available for the model from other markets.

Multi-terrain Monitor
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...GX460%20QG.pdf

Last edited by Acrad; 02-17-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 03:47 PM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

When the time comes to kill the 150 platform, rumors have it that it will transition into a uni body structure like the pathfinder did years ago.
Old 02-22-19, 04:16 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding the GX going unibody... My eyes are shut, fingers in my ears, "La-la-la-la-la-"
I CAN'T HEAR YOU "La-la-la-la-la" Gonna pretend you didn't say that!!!
Old 02-23-19, 05:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Interestingly the sources of info for the GX have been disappearing slowly. Dont know what to think of it. However due note that the 2020 GX is ready for custom orders from June. I`d assume whatever info we get on that launch is TBD. Whether its happening or not (same platform, just a refresh to keep it viable)
Old 04-08-19, 07:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I originally posted this over on the LX forum but may give some design cues for what is planned for the GX as well. Three pics if you pan left to right. No interior.

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Acrad; 04-09-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 08:10 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

For those of you not versed in the ancient languages, here's the translation:

The new generation in the latest version of the Japanese magazine Mac
  1. Expected to begin selling the new generation of Lexus in two and a half years from now.
  2. New engines fully six - cylinder Tun - turbo with Kim Tamatik ten tiger and a six - cylinder engine with the possibility of introducing other engines not yet mentioned in some markets. The goal is to reduce fuel consumption and increase power while maintaining reliability
  3. Reduce weight and increase the fun of driving and strength and the proportion of safety and stability while maintaining the durability in use and the capabilities of the vehicle on the off-road.
Built on a completely new base and platform dedicated to body-on-frame vehicles of the new generation of Lexus and Toyota.
The new platform will be an additional new branch of the TNGI family currently available on some Toyota, Lexus and other vehicles. Currently, this platform is available in a single-frame structure, Unicode, but soon a new branch will be added on-line and is expected to be the official name of the TNGF platform. According to what has been published in some locations, the project's internal development name is FFN. Toyota and Lexus BodyOn-Frame will share the new generation.

Source Magazine Mac X Japanese latest version.

Courtesy of Google Translate...
Old 04-09-19, 02:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Is this a future LC or 4R in the background?

Last edited by Acrad; 04-09-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 05:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

That was an earlier LC sketch they had come up with.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 09:10 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
For those of you not versed in the ancient languages, here's the translation:

The new generation in the latest version of the Japanese magazine Mac
  1. New engines fully six - cylinder Tun - turbo with Kim Tamatik ten tiger and a six - cylinder engine with the possibility of introducing other engines not yet mentioned in some markets. The goal is to reduce fuel consumption and increase power while maintaining reliability

Source Magazine Mac X Japanese latest version.

Courtesy of Google Translate...
V8 Engine ... Going-Going-Gone (in 2021) ... better buy a current model or wait (for the twin turbo's to spin-up) and get a V6 ... with increased "power" (meaning Horsepower and not Torque where its actually needed).
Old 04-10-19, 07:51 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
V8 Engine ... Going-Going-Gone (in 2021) ... better buy a current model or wait (for the twin turbo's to spin-up) and get a V6 ... with increased "power" (meaning Horsepower and not Torque where its actually needed).
I guess it's going the way of the Ford F150 Raptor. Went from a fire breathing (pre 2017) 6.2 L V8 with 411 hp and 434 lb/ft to a (2017 specs) to a more fire breathing turbo 3.5 LV6 450 hp and 540 lb/ft. That's not bad for a lil 'ol 6 cylinder...
To tell you the truth, if Lexus went this route, I'd get one in a New York minute!
Old 04-10-19, 07:55 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
I guess it's going the way of the Ford F150 Raptor. Went from a fire breathing (pre 2017) 6.2 L V8 with 411 hp and 434 lb/ft to a (2017 specs) to a more fire breathing turbo 3.5 LV6 450 hp and 540 lb/ft. That's not bad for a lil 'ol 6 cylinder...
To tell you the truth, if Lexus went this route, I'd get one in a New York minute!
Absolute numbers are great, but where is the torque ... and is it really "available" ?
Old 04-10-19, 10:19 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
Absolute numbers are great, but where is the torque ... and is it really "available" ?
Depends on the tuning. Being like most FI setups, it could offer more torque down low where you spend most of the time driving. But either way it`d be an upgrade like no other with of course tradeoffs in the long run. Short term, less growl of a v8 of course.
Old 04-10-19, 10:33 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Depends on the tuning. Being like most FI setups, it could offer more torque down low where you spend most of the time driving. But either way it`d be an upgrade like no other with of course tradeoffs in the long run. Short term, less growl of a v8 of course.
I agree with the lack of V8 growl. It's just kind of odd when I hear the new Raptors with their V6's. Kind of like the difference between a sweet sounding Italian V12 and a cheap Asian boy racer car with too loud of an exhaust.

Last edited by r2m; 04-10-19 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (04-10-19)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion