GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-23, 03:56 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

I really like it. Looks like the days of my ‘17 RX350-F are numbered.
I will wait for the hybrid powertrain announcement though. I hope it’s the iForce max found in the Tundra.
Old 06-11-23, 06:18 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I really like it. Looks like the days of my ‘17 RX350-F are numbered.
I will wait for the hybrid powertrain announcement though. I hope it’s the iForce max found in the Tundra.
Per https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/lexus/39264002.html, it says "A 2.4L turbo-hybrid variant, a Lexus first for a body-on-frame vehicle, provides exceptional fuel efficiency without compromising on power output."

So it seems somethlng like that in the RX 500h or the new Tacoma. I was hoping to get a sense of when they will announce the hybrid version but couldn't find anything. The new RX was announced over a year ago and the 450h+ has not been announced yet for the US market.
Old 06-11-23, 07:01 AM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
How? Isn’t it supposed to come out in 2024?
Toyota/Lexus Engineers/Execs driving it around to gather data. Nothing new. Since they moved to TX, I've seen multiple pre-release products on the road...
The following 2 users liked this post by rw3:
355F1 (06-12-23), TexasFunRunner (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 10:10 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Another weird observation from the detailed pictures above. Version with 3rd-zone climate control doesn't have heated rear seats, while version with no 3rd zone climate does...it almost looks like there are two buttons missing on the side of that climate control unit...maybe it's just a pre-production quirk.
Old 06-11-23, 10:41 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,367 Posts

@Vlad6525

I noticed that too… it reminded of the config available on 10-13 base models where you could have 3rd zone HVAC but no heated second row. Or like you said pre-production missing part

Last edited by Acrad; 06-11-23 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vlad6525 (06-12-23)
Old 06-11-23, 11:28 AM
corolla6mt
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

at 17mpg, gx550 is geared squarly at stealing marketshare from the luxury soccer moms who drive leased range rovers.
TheHighLow (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 12:00 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't get this as a Lexus. Maybe its bc they focused in the launch on the upper lander or whatever it is called but this thing is weak as a GX. As a LC sure. But give me a break - a rear locker and better tech (that, other than the cameras, you can basically get in a Corolla) in exchange for pleather seats, a turbo six that only delivers 17mpg, no third row, ugly rear windshield wiper. This totally sux IMO. If I wanted to go off roading where I would I actually need a rear locker above and beyond A-trac (which is like almost never), I would just wait and get the upcoming Land Cruiser - which will prob have the turbo-4, which will have enough power (the current GX460 and even 4runners have enough power for offroad) and won't (I am assuming) have totally idiotic gas milage. The reason I am more than willing to give up the NA V8 in my GX is to get better gas milage. I do not get this GX at - maybe the Lux version is nicer - but 22 inch wheels are also dumb. 17mpg - what a joke.

corolla6mt (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 01:31 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 519 Posts

Haven't searched so forgive me... do these have a factory external transmission cooler?
Old 06-11-23, 02:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,367 Posts

@Romanova

So far....I don't recall that in any documentation that I have read nor seen any in any vehicle images.

IIRC... after removing AT cooler in later model Tundras they reintroduced with the 3rd Gen models

Old 06-11-23, 03:38 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I don't get this as a Lexus. Maybe its bc they focused in the launch on the upper lander or whatever it is called but this thing is weak as a GX. As a LC sure. But give me a break - a rear locker and better tech (that, other than the cameras, you can basically get in a Corolla) in exchange for pleather seats, a turbo six that only delivers 17mpg, no third row, ugly rear windshield wiper. This totally sux IMO. If I wanted to go off roading where I would I actually need a rear locker above and beyond A-trac (which is like almost never), I would just wait and get the upcoming Land Cruiser - which will prob have the turbo-4, which will have enough power (the current GX460 and even 4runners have enough power for offroad) and won't (I am assuming) have totally idiotic gas milage. The reason I am more than willing to give up the NA V8 in my GX is to get better gas milage. I do not get this GX at - maybe the Lux version is nicer - but 22 inch wheels are also dumb. 17mpg - what a joke.
Think about who it’s aimed at. People who are buying Defender, G550, Discovery, maybe RR Sport.

Yes I agree the interior isn’t quite on par, but it will be cheaper than most of those at similar option loads.

Overtrail is for lifestyle buyers, most of the lockers will never be engaged.

If you even noticed the mileage number you’re probably not the target of this product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rommelromm:
CFAI (06-11-23), Seanie (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 04:41 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I like the Overtrail model with Nori Green, but with the turbo I4 and tan/brown interior instead. The new 'active' KDSS system seems like a nice upgrade for smoother driving over rougher roads. Hoping that Toyota would have made the rear door a split gate like the earlier LC, instead of the long single swing up. Overall I really like it, but as another wrote, it won't fit in my short garage while having access to the rear cargo area like I can with my 2022. I live in a cold climate and have a heated garage, so why I want to access cargo (shopping) while inside a closed garage (back in, passenger side against far wall, so the rear door opens the correct way, and amount, I need).

Criticism;
The new GX looks like Toyota copied the LR Defender (interior and ext cues). How many will say that the new GX is a 'poor mans' or 'wanna-be' Land Rover Defender?
Praise:Lexus continued using the Prado (body on frame & solid rear axle) platform for the new GX (dependability and durability). I like the larger size (but not my garage) and that an I4 turbo will be offered (lower fuel consumption and likely easier to work on when out of warranty). Also very nice that Lexus has the Overtrail model for us enthusiast.
Old 06-11-23, 04:43 PM
Plasmech
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. First post in this forum.

Saw the G3 GX and was pretty impressed. For the first time, I'm considering a Lexus. Up until now, I've been a mid-size pickup guy (Tacoma).

Do we know what the 550 is derived from? Maybe it's the "naturally aspirated equivalent" of the 3.4L TT?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-23, 04:53 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
Think about who it’s aimed at. People who are buying Defender, G550, Discovery, maybe RR Sport.

If you even noticed the mileage number you’re probably not the target of this product.
Well, I guess if it is just by definition, then I guess, but not sure how meaningful that is. That's a bit like saying the people who wind up buying the new GX are the target audience. 'Oh, you wanted some wood trim? That's too bad but to be honest people who want wood trim are not part of the target audience."

But, before they released this GX I don't think it was unreasonable to think that I would be part of the target audience: 1) I am a current owner of a GX460 (and my other car is also a Lexus); 2) I am fairly active on the GX forum for over 3 years - so that kinda seems like a signal of a loyal, engaged GX customer; and 3) I spent a bit of social capital in my network to try to get an invite to the GX unveiling in Austin (got close but was bumped a few days prior for a last minute request to attend from a couple of dealers).
For me, and I know this is just an opinion (but isn't most of what is written here), the new GX is 1) not nearly premium looking enough; and 2) still has horrendous gas milage but now no more NA V8, but way more complicated turbo V6.

Or maybe you are saying that current GX460 owners are not the target audience - I guess that could be. Not sure why that would be the case though.

Last edited by CFAI; 06-11-23 at 04:57 PM.
jlficken (06-12-23)
Old 06-11-23, 07:06 PM
Seanie
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Well, I guess if it is just by definition, then I guess, but not sure how meaningful that is. That's a bit like saying the people who wind up buying the new GX are the target audience. 'Oh, you wanted some wood trim? That's too bad but to be honest people who want wood trim are not part of the target audience."

But, before they released this GX I don't think it was unreasonable to think that I would be part of the target audience: 1) I am a current owner of a GX460 (and my other car is also a Lexus); 2) I am fairly active on the GX forum for over 3 years - so that kinda seems like a signal of a loyal, engaged GX customer; and 3) I spent a bit of social capital in my network to try to get an invite to the GX unveiling in Austin (got close but was bumped a few days prior for a last minute request to attend from a couple of dealers).
For me, and I know this is just an opinion (but isn't most of what is written here), the new GX is 1) not nearly premium looking enough; and 2) still has horrendous gas milage but now no more NA V8, but way more complicated turbo V6.

Or maybe you are saying that current GX460 owners are not the target audience - I guess that could be. Not sure why that would be the case though.
I think Lexus had a large gap in the luxury SUV market that is clearly a cash cow. From an outside perspective, of someone who only owns European cars / suvs, this GX really is great. I think Lexus is trying to shift their target audience. As for it not looking premium enough, it doesn't stray far from G-wagons, Defenders, Tellurides and those are selling great. There is a huge market for "toughened", boxy SUV's in which lexus took a big leap, designed a vehicle outside their comfort zone, and I believe is going to do really well. As someone who would've never considered a lexus 2 years ago, I just picked up 2 allocation spots. Their target market isn't GX owners, but rather the larger market of "tough" luxury do-it-alls. If these fall at or around 80k, Lexus is going to struggle to keep up with demand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanie:
ChalkTalk (06-12-23), pacnwatx (06-11-23)
Old 06-12-23, 05:43 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default '24 GX and my thoughts

As I have watched many of the recent videos since the debut of the '24 GX 550, I think Lexus has done a great job with getting closer to the off road competition. With all of the up-coming versions of the GX550, I think there will be something for everyone. Looking at the specs, there are many new features, and several luxury items like massaging seats, a bit larger seats, added cooler etc.
I am hopeful that the smooth, quiet ride will still be there that the current GX has. I love my '23 GX, my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. I think Lexus knows it has to reach a huge fan base on and off road, so I will keep an open mind that the new GX will also be a home run like the current. The V8 will never be able to be replaced, but I'm hoping the V6TT will be sound proofed enough that it will remain a quiet vehicle, and with the new platform, have a smooth ride as well for on road adventures. There is a lot to give up that is so perfect with the current GX, so there is a lot to think about if I would consider a new one down the road.
Those that want the off road , the Overtrail versions are going to be great! It looks like they nailed that.
As far as any negative, I don't like the wiper showing in the back, as many others have also mentioned. Not wild about the mpg, but I never expected it to increase very much as it is a large, heavy vehicle.Those that are worried about that can get a hybrid version later, but it still won't be terrific milage. Maybe low 20's. I'm not a hybrid fan, and don't think I would go for a hybrid GX. I could change my mind later, but really not interested now..
I'm very anxious to see reviews after people can actually test them, and then we will have a better idea. I'm in no hurry to change as I just bought my '23, and have 1000 miles now. As I said, I love it, and if the reviews are awesome on the new model, down the road in a few years I might go for it after the kinks are out, and I can save some more money LOL ! Cheers , and for those eager to get a '24, we will anxiously be waiting to hear about it all.

Last edited by RDLGX; 06-12-23 at 05:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDLGX:
355F1 (06-12-23), irishbrahm (06-12-23)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion