GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 08:12 AM
Classic911
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
As I have watched many of the recent videos since the debut of the '24 GX 550, I think Lexus has done a great job with getting closer to the off road competition. With all of the up-coming versions of the GX550, I think there will be something for everyone. Looking at the specs, there are many new features, and several luxury items like massaging seats, a bit larger seats, added cooler etc.
I am hopeful that the smooth, quiet ride will still be there that the current GX has. I love my '23 GX, my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. I think Lexus knows it has to reach a huge fan base on and off road, so I will keep an open mind that the new GX will also be a home run like the current. The V8 will never be able to be replaced, but I'm hoping the V6TT will be sound proofed enough that it will remain a quiet vehicle, and with the new platform, have a smooth ride as well for on road adventures. There is a lot to give up that is so perfect with the current GX, so there is a lot to think about if I would consider a new one down the road.
Those that want the off road , the Overtrail versions are going to be great! It looks like they nailed that.
As far as any negative, I don't like the wiper showing in the back, as many others have also mentioned. Not wild about the mpg, but I never expected it to increase very much as it is a large, heavy vehicle.Those that are worried about that can get a hybrid version later, but it still won't be terrific milage. Maybe low 20's. I'm not a hybrid fan, and don't think I would go for a hybrid GX. I could change my mind later, but really not interested now..
I'm very anxious to see reviews after people can actually test them, and then we will have a better idea. I'm in no hurry to change as I just bought my '23, and have 1000 miles now. As I said, I love it, and if the reviews are awesome on the new model, down the road in a few years I might go for it after the kinks are out, and I can save some more money LOL ! Cheers , and for those eager to get a '24, we will anxiously be waiting to hear about it all.
I have a 22 and agree for the most part. It will need time to see how the reliability will be. Lexus took the GX and made it more off-road focused, thus enabling the TX to fill the “void” now created. The drivetrain change is concerning in terms of reliability but I think the size growing is also a bit of a concern as my GX is perfectly sized for me at least.

Some people mention the MB G wagon. I don’t understand why people think this will be cross-shopped with the MB G wagon seeing as that in the USA starts at 140k; if you have that coin to drop you aren’t looking at the GX. The GX is aimed at the Discovery and in that regard LR will be ok seeing as that the majority of the cars are leased and are under a warranty. The GX460’s primary strength is in long term durability which means nothing to you if you lease your vehicles; the new one should be relatively reliable.bI’m very interested to see what Toyota does with the Land Cruiser. I’m hearing that it will come with the new Tacoma hybrid drivetrain if it does come to the USA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Classic911:
355F1 (06-12-23), RDLGX (06-12-23)
Old 06-13-23, 05:50 AM
jcgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if it is just a coincidence that James Bond drives a 1990 LC Prado in "Earth" tan in No Time to Die, or if this was very clever product placement?

The following 3 users liked this post by jcgx:
jphcbpa (06-13-23), Specialeyes (06-14-23), tntcandy (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 06:25 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgx
I wonder if it is just a coincidence that James Bond drives a 1990 LC Prado in "Earth" tan in No Time to Die, or if this was very clever product placement?

I want to say clever product placement but insiders say the US Land Cruiser will have a retro 70 series front end with perhaps a touch of FJ40 throw in.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasFunRunner:
chiph9 (06-13-23), pacnwatx (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 07:51 AM
Classic911
10th Gear

Toyota/Lexus making the new GX more “off-road focused”opened up the way for the new TX. Now they are going to introduce both a new 4Runner and LC? I think the new 4Runner will share the new Tacoma drivetrain and the LC will have the TTV6. Interesting times at Toyota!
Old 06-13-23, 08:20 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic911
Toyota/Lexus making the new GX more “off-road focused”opened up the way for the new TX. Now they are going to introduce both a new 4Runner and LC? I think the new 4Runner will share the new Tacoma drivetrain and the LC will have the TTV6. Interesting times at Toyota!
It definitely is!
Old 06-13-23, 08:42 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Not that I plan on switching from my current GX anytime soon, but I would like to see what the new LC looks like. If that gets better gas milage, and given that this GX doesn't look particularly plush/lux, than maybe I upgrade into the LC when it is time. I can (but just barely) deal with the terrible efficiency of the current gen to get the smooth/bullet proof 1UR-FE. But if I have to move to a more complex/less smooth/linear turbo 6 or 4, I would rather trade off any extra power above what the current GX has (301HP/329 trq) for better fuel efficiency - something in the mid 20's would be nice. A hybrid in the 30's even better.
The following users liked this post:
Classic911 (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 09:22 AM
Classic911
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CFAI
Not that I plan on switching from my current GX anytime soon, but I would like to see what the new LC looks like. If that gets better gas milage, and given that this GX doesn't look particularly plush/lux, than maybe I upgrade into the LC when it is time. I can (but just barely) deal with the terrible efficiency of the current gen to get the smooth/bullet proof 1UR-FE. But if I have to move to a more complex/less smooth/linear turbo 6 or 4, I would rather trade off any extra power above what the current GX has (301HP/329 trq) for better fuel efficiency - something in the mid 20's would be nice. A hybrid in the 30's even better.
given the weight of these things nothing will get into the 30 mpg range but I am curious as to the GX 550 Hybrid. That should flirt with 20mpg + but again it will be heavy….agree re getting better efficiency that’s why they should have retained the v8, given it DI, hybrid assist and the 10 spd auto. Could have kept the smoothness, reliability and improve efficiency (somewhat).
The following 2 users liked this post by Classic911:
CFAI (06-13-23), RDLGX (06-14-23)
Old 06-13-23, 10:16 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 373 Likes on 208 Posts

Using the 2023 Tundra CrewMax Cab gas & hybrid for comparison the fuel economy is:
City / Highway / Combined
V6TT - 21 / 27 / 23
Hybrid - 22 / 27 / 24
Old 06-13-23, 01:09 PM
Seanie
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic911
given the weight of these things nothing will get into the 30 mpg range but I am curious as to the GX 550 Hybrid. That should flirt with 20mpg + but again it will be heavy….agree re getting better efficiency that’s why they should have retained the v8, given it DI, hybrid assist and the 10 spd auto. Could have kept the smoothness, reliability and improve efficiency (somewhat).
What I'm trying to figure out is how my 5.0 Supercharged V8 Range Rover making 510 hp (5600 lbs) can get 19 city and 23 highway while this 3.4 V6 can average only 17 combined? It's not a deal breaker but I'm puzzled.
Classic911 (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 01:20 PM
phile
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I briefly had a Kia Sorento with the hidden rear wiper. While aesthetically pleasing, I actually did not appreciate the upside down half circle pattern that the wiper made vs the traditional right side up half circle (like a rainbow shape is what I’m trying to say). Even though it may seem like it would take make a huge difference, it did to me. Having full view of the bottom half was better than having full view of the top half but with both side corners covered by frost or rain. be careful what you wish for.
Old 06-13-23, 01:27 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanie
What I'm trying to figure out is how my 5.0 Supercharged V8 Range Rover making 510 hp (5600 lbs) can get 19 city and 23 highway while this 3.4 V6 can average only 17 combined? It's not a deal breaker but I'm puzzled.
I know! Even looking at the LX 600, it is 19 combined (17/22/19). I understand the aerodynamics of the GX may not help but I am still hoping that when they release the final numbers, it will go up, probably to 19. I also assume the Overtrail with its tires and off-road set-up will be the least efficient.

The 2.4L Hybrid will be interesting to see how far it can get to.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCTX:
Classic911 (06-13-23), Gentilly7 (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 01:44 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by phile
I briefly had a Kia Sorento with the hidden rear wiper. While aesthetically pleasing, I actually did not appreciate the upside down half circle pattern that the wiper made vs the traditional right side up half circle (like a rainbow shape is what I’m trying to say). Even though it may seem like it would take make a huge difference, it did to me. Having full view of the bottom half was better than having full view of the top half but with both side corners covered by frost or rain. be careful what you wish for.
Good point. On a relevant topic, interestingly, the digital rearview mirror is only reserved for the Luxury+. It doesn't seem to be even available as an add-on like other Lexus models.
Old 06-14-23, 05:54 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g4...levels-colors/

See All the 2024 Lexus GX's Trims, Colors, and Interior Options

RDLGX (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 09:04 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Really would have been nice for them to offer the Overtrail in a 3 row configuration
Old 06-14-23, 09:09 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Really would have been nice for them to offer the Overtrail in a 3 row configuration
I bet the parts counter can help out with that problem. The body anchors points will still be there but perhaps covered over.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion