GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 04:25 PM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Really would be nice for them to release pricing. I wander what the Overtrail+ will msrp at... I'm guessing 75 with the lux+ 77,5k
16 minutes into this Kirk K video he estimates pricing.

Last edited by TexasFunRunner; 06-15-23 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 03:48 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

His estimates are too high. I read where Lexus was not going to increase the prices that much. The current GX starts at 56,425 with premium starting at 57,760. They would not increase a premium 8000. A current Luxury starts at 67, so again there would not be an increase of 8000. Rx and others did not go up this percentage, nor will the GX. I really wish people would stop guessing and making these ridiculous prices. I read where the top Overtrail would be around 80. People are confusing the MSRP with what certain dealership mark-ups were. There are plenty of dealerships out there that do not mark up above the MSRP. Many mark ups were due to shortages which are getting better now , and prices are coming down.

Last edited by RDLGX; 06-18-23 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasFunRunner (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 07:31 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

I think Lexus is waiting to see how well this new design is received by YouTubers and auto journalist to decide on the price.
Old 06-16-23, 09:25 AM
Seanie
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I think Lexus is waiting to see how well this new design is received by YouTubers and auto journalist to decide on the price.
Quick, start booing!
Old 06-16-23, 11:37 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
His estimates are too high. I read where Lexus was not going to increase the prices that much. The current GX starts at 56,425 with premium starting at 57,760. They would not increase a premium 8000. A current Luxury starts at 67, so again there would not be an increase of 8000. Rx and others did not go up this percentage, nor will the GX. I really wish people would stop guessing and making these ridiculous prices. I read where the top Overtrail would be around 80. People are confusing the MSRP with what certain dealership mark-ups were. There are plenty of dealerships out there that do not mark up above the MSRP. Many mark ups were due to shortages which are getting better now , and prices are coming down. If you follow Alex on Autos, he is much more sensible with his videos and pricing.
Where are you getting these numbers from? Per Lexus.com for the 2023 GX:

Base: $59,275
Premium: $60,610
Luxury: $69,930
Old 06-16-23, 02:03 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted this elsewhere after looking at the trim contents... man this pisses me off.

There are some hilariously bad option omissions with this launch:

Power tilt/telescope wheel requires Premium+ or Overtrail+, this was standard in 2003.

Memory system for mirrors/driver's seat/steering wheel again requires Premium+ or Overtrail+, again this was standard 21 years ago.

AVS only in Luxury+ or Overtrail.

LED fogs as mentioned are Premium+.

4 way adjustable headrests are Luxury or Overtrail+

Wireless phone charger is Premium+ or Overtrail+

Intuitive Parking Assist in Premium+

E-KDSS is locked to Overtrail, proving that Lexus seems to have forgotten how their own systems even perform. KDSS makes the truck SO much better on and off road that it should be available across the line.

There should only be three trims:

Premium should be the base trim and have all the content of Premium+, AVS, and the 4 way headrests, aside from power third row.

Options should be:

Cold Area Package
Second row Captain's chairs
Power third row
E-KDSS

Luxury then would only add a few things standard:

10 way drivers seat
Massaging front seats
Semi-Aniline leather interior trim
2nd row sunshade
Illuminated door sills
21 Speaker Mark Levinson
Cool Box
Power third row

Features would be:

Cold Area Package
Second row Captain's chairs
E-KDSS
Power extending running boards
Panoramic glass roof

Then Overtrail as the offroad trim, but just pretty much make the Overtrail+ the base aside from these changes:

Make the manual third row standard
Cool box standard

Have the following options:

Cold Area Package
Panoramic glass roof
10 way drivers seat/massaging front seats
Old 06-16-23, 02:28 PM
MTH
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Hope it would be that easy, similar to a GX470. However, if they have a different loading height to match and level the third row like the GX460, may not be possible. Keeping fingers crossed!
Re Rear Cargo area, careful examination of the pics available of Premium 3-row vs Overtrail 2-row illustrate that the rearmost floor is elevated in the 3-row config- I estimate approx 6" higher to accomodate the 3rd row seats folded flat. This can be somewhat of an advantage if you want 3 rows and the the most cargo area length and an almost flat cargo floor that extends from rear door to the back of the front seats when the 2nd row is folded flat. For a flat floor in the 2nd row arrangement, you must tumble the 2nd row up against the front seats, thereby gaining overall cargo area since the floor is 6" lower, but losing some cargo area length due to the tumbled 2nd row seats being the terminus rather than the front seats.

In addition, it appears that a rear seat row is not easily removed, and the anchors for the rear row do not appear to be there in the 2 row config since there is a shallow storage box located under the rear floor. You also lose a driver side storage box with cover in the rear most corner of the cargo area in the 2 row arrangement.

Careful consideration should be used if one plans to place more permanent rear cargo sliders and/or make cargo area mods!

Last edited by MTH; 06-16-23 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 03:02 PM
pL86
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read the pre-order guide differently. When Luxury Plus says it includes features from Luxury and Luxury says includes features from Premium Plus, I take that to mean Luxury Plus also includes the features from Premium Plus. If B includes A and C includes B, then C also includes A. So to go through your features:

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
Power tilt/telescope wheel requires Premium+ or Overtrail+, this was standard in 2003.
Included with Premium Plus but Luxury says it includes everything from Premium Plus and Luxury Plus says it includes features from Luxury (and the way I read it, that then scoops up Premium Plus). So I interpret the guide as saying the power tilt steering wheel is in 4 out of the 6 trims, only excluded from Premium and Overtrail lines.

Memory system for mirrors/driver's seat/steering wheel again requires Premium+ or Overtrail+, again this was standard 21 years ago.
Same as the power steeling wheel - it's in Premium Plus but I think also in Luxury, Luxury Plus and Overtrail Plus (it's listed separately in Overtrail Plus). 4/6 trims.

AVS only in Luxury+ or Overtrail.
Along with Luxury Plus and Overtrail, also included in Overtrail Plus because it also includes Overtrail features. So 3/6 trims have it.

LED fogs as mentioned are Premium+.
LED fog lights are also in Luxury (includes Premium Plus) and Luxury Plus (includes Luxury -> Premium Plus) and it's also listed as a separate item in Overtrail under exterior. And since Overtrail Plus includes Overtrail, LED fog lights should appear on 5 out of 6, all the lines except Premium.

4 way adjustable headrests are Luxury or Overtrail+
Luxury Plus includes Luxury features so the adjustable headrests show up in 3/6 lines - Luxury, Luxury Plus and Overtrail Plus.

Wireless phone charger is Premium+ or Overtrail+
Same as power steering wheel and memory seats, should also be in Luxury and Luxury Plus so 4/6 lines.

Intuitive Parking Assist in Premium+
Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto Breaking is a feature in Premium under safety/advanced technologies. Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto Breaking and Rear Pedestrian Detection is listed for Premium Plus and Overtrail Plus, and should also be in Luxury and Luxury Plus because they incorporate Premium Plus features. So all the trims have some form of Intuitive Parking Assist, Premium and Overtrail have the base level and the other four lines have the version with rear pedestrian detection.
TexasFunRunner (06-16-23)
Old 06-16-23, 03:29 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Originally Posted by pL86
Correct me if I'm wrong but I read the pre-order guide differently. When Luxury Plus says it includes features from Luxury and Luxury says includes features from Premium Plus, I take that to mean Luxury Plus also includes the features from Premium Plus. If B includes A and C includes B, then C also includes A. So to go through your features:
I was not trying to say that those features are not in trims above the ones they're listed for, I'm saying it's unforgivable that they require those higher trims.

Premium trim should not exist as it does, neither should Overtrail. Premium+ and Overtrail+ are what the normal trims should be more or less.
Vlad6525 (06-17-23)
Old 06-16-23, 03:53 PM
MTH
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MTH
Re Rear Cargo area, careful examination of the pics available of Premium 3-row vs Overtrail 2-row illustrate that the rearmost floor is elevated in the 3-row config- I estimate approx 6" higher to accomodate the 3rd row seats folded flat. This can be somewhat of an advantage if you want 3 rows and the the most cargo area length and an almost flat cargo floor that extends from rear door to the back of the front seats when the 2nd row is folded flat. For a flat floor in the 2nd row arrangement, you must tumble the 2nd row up against the front seats, thereby gaining overall cargo area since the floor is 6" lower, but losing some cargo area length due to the tumbled 2nd row seats being the terminus rather than the front seats.

In addition, it appears that a rear seat row is not easily removed, and the anchors for the rear row do not appear to be there in the 2 row config since there is a shallow storage box located under the rear floor. You also lose a driver side storage box with cover in the rear most corner of the cargo area in the 2 row arrangement.

Careful consideration should be used if one plans to place more permanent rear cargo sliders and/or make cargo area mods!
One more note- Toyota/Lexus will likely have to place a battery in the cargo area in the Hybrid config. IMO, they really made a mess of it in the new Sequoia in regards to not creating flat floor capability and losing cargo area. They placed it under the rear seat in the Tundra Crew Cab, consequently losing valuable storage space. Raising the rear cargo area in the new GX550 3-row config may have already created room for the battery, maybe behind the 3rd row, but it will be interesting to see how it's done...but most likely a 2 row GX config would potentially suffer even more.. Such design criteria may make it even more difficult to add or subtract a third row...

Last edited by MTH; 06-16-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 09:04 PM
flatlandmountaineer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is KDSS?

Good discussion on the ‘24 announcement. I’ve been eyeing 4x4s for a while and am very drawn to the “value play” of the GX around 60k (as I think it’s a much better built vehicle than a Wrangler and Bronco for the same money).

One key distinction that discourages me from the new model is the apparent lack of KDSS in the base/Premium trim (as I’m not sure that I can justify $80k plus for the Overtrail).

I’m thinking this omission may make a current base model a better fit for my use case.

For those that know, how important is the omission of the KDSS outside of the Overtrail?

I’m looking for a stock 4x4 good for moderate trails in western Colorado. If I get the current model, I don’t mind replacing the tires/wheels and front bumper (and removing the side steps), but don’t want to do much more than that.
Old 06-16-23, 09:31 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

KDSS allows for a truly gigantic and consequentially very stiff sway bar, this is good because a more rigid sway bar means less body roll. We don’t get very stiff sway bars on off road capable vehicles because you then lose a lot of articulation. KDSS works great because it allows more articulation at low speed (and now with electronic controls in the right situations) and tightens up at higher speed.

I’m reluctant to buy a GX without it, I love the system and wish Lexus/Toyota spent more time selling it.
Old 06-17-23, 08:25 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

I imagine there is a reason, but I don't understand why the launch of the GX is so heavily pushing the impression that the new platform is some major leap in off road capability. I guess maybe it is just the easiest angle to get press? But stepping back and comparing the J150 platform to this GA-F platform from just an off-road perspective it is hard to see how the GA-F is significantly better. Just rolling back to a modern take on the 2010-2013 bumpers would give the GX better approach/departure angles than the GX550 (28 vs 25 and 25 vs 21) - and both the 550 and the '10-'13 460 are worse than the older 470 for both. 'But what about that rear locker?" you ask? The rear locker already exists in the J150 - Toyota just decides not to put it in the 2nd gen GX, but the could - they have them in LC's shipping out to Oceana and the UK. I am not an off-roader but I don't think a wider truck is better in the trails and the new GX550 is much wider than the 460. The gas milage is equally bad. The extra power is unlikely to help off-roading, the extra top end gears are unlikely to really matter, other than the breakover angle (23 vs 21), the GX550 doesn't look like it has many improved core attributes that more capable off-road.

On the flip side, it looks like the new GX is even less equipped on the Lux side of things. I am just confused about what this new GX really is about. Maybe the Overland exists as a halo to make people who by the premium feel like their GX is more legit - I could see that.
Also, I get that most buyers don't take any of these things off road and I am not arguing that Toyota should not innovate and just keep selling the 2nd gen until the end of time. This also doesn't mean that people won't prefer the extra power, or that the 10 speed is smoother (it isn't for better gas milage apparently), and that the wider truck means more interior comfort, and the new tech is more convenient (while I don't care, the lack of carplay in her GX is the single reason my wife might start getting a roving eye for something else), or that way more people will find the new look more appealing (gotta admit the GX460 either preface lift or after isn't really the best looking thing on the road - IMO the GX470 is much more attractive), but to promote this entirely new generation based on its improved offroad chops seem like much ado about (nearly) nothing.

Last edited by CFAI; 06-17-23 at 08:43 AM.
TexasFunRunner (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23, 08:55 AM
MTH
3rd Gear

Default Informative new Suspension Video

Not sure if this was posted, I found this video that sheds more light on innovative suspension upgrades for the new GX:
The following 2 users liked this post by MTH:
Acrad (06-17-23), E3PO (06-29-23)
Old 06-17-23, 09:41 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
Where are you getting these numbers from? Per Lexus.com for the 2023 GX:

Base: $59,275
Premium: $60,610
Luxury: $69,930
Yes sir...right on the Lexus .com website. If you go to 2023 GX, it list each starting price.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion