GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 12:25 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I imagine there is a reason, but I don't understand why the launch of the GX is so heavily pushing the impression that the new platform is some major leap in off road capability. I guess maybe it is just the easiest angle to get press? But stepping back and comparing the J150 platform to this GA-F platform from just an off-road perspective it is hard to see how the GA-F is significantly better. Just rolling back to a modern take on the 2010-2013 bumpers would give the GX better approach/departure angles than the GX550 (28 vs 25 and 25 vs 21) - and both the 550 and the '10-'13 460 are worse than the older 470 for both. 'But what about that rear locker?" you ask? The rear locker already exists in the J150 - Toyota just decides not to put it in the 2nd gen GX, but the could - they have them in LC's shipping out to Oceana and the UK. I am not an off-roader but I don't think a wider truck is better in the trails and the new GX550 is much wider than the 460. The gas milage is equally bad. The extra power is unlikely to help off-roading, the extra top end gears are unlikely to really matter, other than the breakover angle (23 vs 21), the GX550 doesn't look like it has many improved core attributes that more capable off-road.

On the flip side, it looks like the new GX is even less equipped on the Lux side of things. I am just confused about what this new GX really is about. Maybe the Overland exists as a halo to make people who by the premium feel like their GX is more legit - I could see that.
Also, I get that most buyers don't take any of these things off road and I am not arguing that Toyota should not innovate and just keep selling the 2nd gen until the end of time. This also doesn't mean that people won't prefer the extra power, or that the 10 speed is smoother (it isn't for better gas milage apparently), and that the wider truck means more interior comfort, and the new tech is more convenient (while I don't care, the lack of carplay in her GX is the single reason my wife might start getting a roving eye for something else), or that way more people will find the new look more appealing (gotta admit the GX460 either preface lift or after isn't really the best looking thing on the road - IMO the GX470 is much more attractive), but to promote this entirely new generation based on its improved offroad chops seem like much ado about (nearly) nothing.
Lockers are nice, but with the very limiting approach/departure a lot of the things a locker helps you do will be ruled out.

The slightly wider truck isn't a big deal to me as I doubt this will be used by first owners on those extremely tight trails where width matters. I like the stance increase as it will give some stability on slopes.

The power is fairly nice, especially if people are gonna upsize the tires. Extra gears not so relevant unless it helps allow a very low first gear, haven't looked at ratios.

If they really wanted an off-roader the approach/departure would have to be much better. The Defender 110 dumps all over it in that regard (and most others really.) But the Defender will be a depreciation magnet and a maintenance nightmare down the road.
Old 06-17-23, 01:15 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

I imagine there is a reason, but I don't understand why the launch of the GX is so heavily pushing the impression that the new platform is some major leap in off road capability. I guess maybe it is just the easiest angle to get press? But stepping back and comparing the J150 platform to this GA-F platform from just an off-road perspective it is hard to see how the GA-F is significantly better. Just rolling back to a modern take on the 2010-2013 bumpers would give the GX better approach/departure angles than the GX550 (28 vs 25 and 25 vs 21) - and both the 550 and the '10-'13 460 are worse than the older 470 for both. 'But what about that rear locker?" you ask? The rear locker already exists in the J150 - Toyota just decides not to put it in the 2nd gen GX, but the could - they have them in LC's shipping out to Oceana and the UK. I am not an off-roader but I don't think a wider truck is better in the trails and the new GX550 is much wider than the 460. The gas milage is equally bad. The extra power is unlikely to help off-roading, the extra top end gears are unlikely to really matter, other than the breakover angle (23 vs 21), the GX550 doesn't look like it has many improved core attributes that more capable off-road.

On the flip side, it looks like the new GX is even less equipped on the Lux side of things. I am just confused about what this new GX really is about. Maybe the Overland exists as a halo to make people who by the premium feel like their GX is more legit - I could see that.
Also, I get that most buyers don't take any of these things off road and I am not arguing that Toyota should not innovate and just keep selling the 2nd gen until the end of time. This also doesn't mean that people won't prefer the extra power, or that the 10 speed is smoother (it isn't for better gas milage apparently), and that the wider truck means more interior comfort, and the new tech is more convenient (while I don't care, the lack of carplay in her GX is the single reason my wife might start getting a roving eye for something else), or that way more people will find the new look more appealing (gotta admit the GX460 either preface lift or after isn't really the best looking thing on the road - IMO the GX470 is much more attractive), but to promote this entirely new generation based on its improved offroad chops seem like much ado about (nearly) nothing.
The crawl ratio should be significantly improved with the new transmission though. The GX460 has a crappy 3.52:1 first gear and the new 10 speed is 4.92:1. Even if they use the same 3.31 axle gear as the Tundra, the overall ratio will be 20% lower than the current GX.

Additionally, if you put 35's on the GX550 it would not need to be regeared. It will have zero issues turning 35's with all that torque. The GX460 is begging for a regear with just 33's and its pretty much required for 35's(if you do all the other work to get em in there.)

Originally Posted by flatlandmountaineer
Good discussion on the ‘24 announcement. I’ve been eyeing 4x4s for a while and am very drawn to the “value play” of the GX around 60k (as I think it’s a much better built vehicle than a Wrangler and Bronco for the same money).

One key distinction that discourages me from the new model is the apparent lack of KDSS in the base/Premium trim (as I’m not sure that I can justify $80k plus for the Overtrail).

I’m thinking this omission may make a current base model a better fit for my use case.

For those that know, how important is the omission of the KDSS outside of the Overtrail?

I’m looking for a stock 4x4 good for moderate trails in western Colorado. If I get the current model, I don’t mind replacing the tires/wheels and front bumper (and removing the side steps), but don’t want to do much more than that.
If you are really worried about it I bet we will see people come out with sway bar disconnects. The end links look like they would be easy to replace with a nice disconnect.

Either that or just pop off one end link before you wheel. This is what I do on my F150 and it takes me like 3 minutes with hand tools. I leave the bar attached to the passenger side end link and just toss the drivers side link into the cab.

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
Lockers are nice, but with the very limiting approach/departure a lot of the things a locker helps you do will be ruled out.

The slightly wider truck isn't a big deal to me as I doubt this will be used by first owners on those extremely tight trails where width matters. I like the stance increase as it will give some stability on slopes.

The power is fairly nice, especially if people are gonna upsize the tires. Extra gears not so relevant unless it helps allow a very low first gear, haven't looked at ratios.

If they really wanted an off-roader the approach/departure would have to be much better. The Defender 110 dumps all over it in that regard (and most others really.) But the Defender will be a depreciation magnet and a maintenance nightmare down the road.
Wouldnt the locker be exactly what you want with a crappy breakover angle? If you get hung up on something and one tire is free hanging, the locker will help by keeping the tire on the ground spinning.
Old 06-17-23, 02:28 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Exactly @Rommelromm . To @skrypj note, it isn't that there aren't some marginal improvements for off roading, but having gearing that might make it easier to roll with 35's is hardly a game changer to base off-roader messaging for a new product launch.
To me it is a more obvious line to go in with is power. "This new GX has the power you need to drive your active lifestyle!' and 'The new, more spacious GX, can take you and your loved ones on wherever life's adventure takes you' or some such claptrap. The clear advantages of the new GX over the 460 are:
1) Power. There is no question that the new GX has way more power.
2) Towing. No question, at least in the non lux trims that the new GX is a better tow vehicle. 8k rating means you can pull 6.5 to 7k no problem. So if you want to tow, this new GX will be a much better option.
3) Space. There is more space to take larger people and stuff comfortably.
4) Tech. The tech is way more up to date, and much more cleanly integrated into the design and layout of the new GX.

But really none of these clear advantages are directly about off roading. It will be interesting to see if TLC or whomever will do off road tests between a stock '10-'13 GX and the new GX550 and see how they both compare on fairly difficult courses to see if there really is much of a practical improvement.

Old 06-17-23, 11:12 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Originally Posted by skrypj
.Wouldnt the locker be exactly what you want with a crappy breakover angle? If you get hung up on something and one tire is free hanging, the locker will help by keeping the tire on the ground spinning.
Planning to drag the belly isn’t much of a plan. I guess the locker could help force the issue but I really don’t see too many new GX550 owners doing that. If you’re hung up you should back off of it and try another line.
Old 06-18-23, 05:22 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 355 Posts

Reading the Toyota global GX press release and information it appears the 550 overtrail is the top of line model now (above the luxury) and it also appears to be getting the same off-road suspension seats (Albeit in disguise) as the new Tacoma Trd pro to limit body movement and head wobble in off-road situations .

Old 06-18-23, 05:25 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 355 Posts

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/lexus/39264002.html
Old 06-18-23, 07:05 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m guessing the measurements in this global press release are somehow incorrect? Or the prototype was smaller? The ordering guide shows completely different external dimensions.

Old 06-18-23, 07:17 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtycho
I’m guessing the measurements in this global press release are somehow incorrect? Or the prototype was smaller? The ordering guide shows completely different external dimensions.

Check this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-550-a-39.html, starting at post #575. @TexasFunRunner did an amazing analysis on the dimensions discrepancies between the US and global releases.

Last edited by CCTX; 06-18-23 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jtycho (06-18-23)
Old 06-18-23, 07:44 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
Check this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-550-a-39.html, starting at post #575. @TexasFunRunner (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...funrunner.html) did an amazing analysis on the dimensions discrepancies between the US and global releases.
@CCTX, thank you, I've wasted way too much time and energy trying to figure out the mess of published Lexus documents. They clearly are using the low bidder publishing house with non-technical and non-car people and then are not having actual Lexus Technical people reviewing the final documents, all in the name of cost cutting. My measurements and information have evolved with input from other forum members, thank you to all of them. Here is a current summary, of course subject to change, depending what Lexus publishes in their final full technical specs.

WIDTH:
Overall Width without the mirrors - 77.95"
Overall Width with the mirrors - 83.22"

LENGTH:
Overall Length without the rear bumper trailer hitch cover - 194.88"
Overall Length with the rear bumper trailer hitch cover - 197.04"
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasFunRunner:
CCTX (06-18-23), Jtycho (06-18-23)
Old 06-18-23, 07:52 AM
Jtycho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner;[url=tel:11526308
11526308[/url]]@CCTX, thank you, I've wasted way too much time and energy trying to figure out the mess of published Lexus documents. They clearly are using the low bidder publishing house with non-technical and non-car people and then are not having actual Lexus Technical people reviewing the final documents, all in the name of cost cutting. My measurements and information have evolved with input from other forum members, thank you to all of them. Here is a current summary, of course subject to change, depending what Lexus publishes in their final full technical specs.

WIDTH:

LENGTH:
Thank you for all your work on this.

I’m happy to see the new GX hasn’t grown as much as the published specs may have initially indicated.

For my own self interested reasons (as in, garage height issues), I’m actually most curious about the total height. There’s a 2” discrepancy between the Toyota press release and Lexus ordering guide.
Old 06-18-23, 07:56 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for all your work on this.

I’m happy to see the new GX hasn’t grown as much as the published specs may have initially indicated.

For my own self interested reasons (as in, garage height issues), I’m actually most curious about the total height. There’s a 2” discrepancy between the Toyota press release and Lexus ordering guide.
Purely guessing, that maybe the extra height of the roof cargo rails.
Jtycho (06-18-23)
Old 06-18-23, 10:42 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner
@CCTX, thank you, I've wasted way too much time and energy trying to figure out the mess of published Lexus documents. They clearly are using the low bidder publishing house with non-technical and non-car people and then are not having actual Lexus Technical people reviewing the final documents, all in the name of cost cutting. My measurements and information have evolved with input from other forum members, thank you to all of them. Here is a current summary, of course subject to change, depending what Lexus publishes in their final full technical specs.

WIDTH:

LENGTH:
Thank you for investing all this time in correcting the info for everyone. Agreed! I was disappointed as well with the inconsistency with the teasers among the different Lexus divisions, US, European...etc.

By the way, any estimates on the ground clearance?
Old 06-18-23, 10:53 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

The first pic of the black GX;

A: "Hey look! Someone put a Lexus grill on a Defender! Who would do that?!"
B: "Someone who wants a reliable Land Rover lol?"
Old 06-18-23, 12:23 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

No KDSS in any of the models but the Overtrail? If that is true then LOL!

The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
Classic911 (06-19-23), RDLGX (06-19-23)
Old 06-18-23, 05:47 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

No KDSS in any of the models but the Overtrail? If that is true then LOL!
That’s what the Lexus guide says. I agree that’s a mega fail. At least make it available.
Classic911 (06-19-23)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion