GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 08:31 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
That’s what the Lexus guide says. I agree that’s a mega fail. At least make it available.
Yep.
Lexus Marketing: "hmm, well lets offer one trim with a rear locker - they will all go so gaga over it that they won't notice that in many ways other than power and info tech, the new GX will have even less off-road capabilities and lux features than the 2nd gen.'
The following users liked this post:
Classic911 (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 03:10 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
Thank you for investing all this time in correcting the info for everyone. Agreed! I was disappointed as well with the inconsistency with the teasers among the different Lexus divisions, US, European...etc.

By the way, any estimates on the ground clearance?
I don't see anything in the documentation of photos to give a solid clue other than the they say "improved ground clearance", therefore, we revert to SWAG.

2023 Lexus GX - 8.1" Ground Clearance
+ "improved ground clearance" =
2024 Lexus GX - ~9.015" SWAG Ground Clearance
-
Spoiler

Last edited by TexasFunRunner; 06-19-23 at 03:17 AM.
CCTX (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 06:09 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner
I don't see anything in the documentation of photos to give a solid clue other than the they say "improved ground clearance", therefore, we revert to SWAG.

-
Spoiler

Thanks! I was hoping for something like the 4Runner's so this would be fine by me. Now, only if it had better mpg. Yes, I think I am still going for it. I am already on a waiting list; I am hoping more information about the hybrid availability and specs would be out soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by CCTX:
John00 (06-22-23), TexasFunRunner (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 09:30 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommelromm
Planning to drag the belly isn’t much of a plan. I guess the locker could help force the issue but I really don’t see too many new GX550 owners doing that. If you’re hung up you should back off of it and try another line.
I'll have to let all to companies that make 3/16" steel skid plates and rock sliders for the GX460 know this.

I just dragged my fuel tank skid last weekend up these rocks. It doesnt help that the GX460 only has like 11.5" of clearance to the gas tank even with a 2" lift and 33's.

Lockers are also extremely helpful in deep snow and sand even if you are not stuck on rocks. Trying to depend on ATRAC crawling in deep snow would result in some smoked brakes.

Originally Posted by CFAI
Exactly @Rommelromm . To @skrypj note, it isn't that there aren't some marginal improvements for off roading, but having gearing that might make it easier to roll with 35's is hardly a game changer to base off-roader messaging for a new product launch.
To me it is a more obvious line to go in with is power. "This new GX has the power you need to drive your active lifestyle!' and 'The new, more spacious GX, can take you and your loved ones on wherever life's adventure takes you' or some such claptrap. The clear advantages of the new GX over the 460 are:
1) Power. There is no question that the new GX has way more power.
2) Towing. No question, at least in the non lux trims that the new GX is a better tow vehicle. 8k rating means you can pull 6.5 to 7k no problem. So if you want to tow, this new GX will be a much better option.
3) Space. There is more space to take larger people and stuff comfortably.
4) Tech. The tech is way more up to date, and much more cleanly integrated into the design and layout of the new GX.

But really none of these clear advantages are directly about off roading. It will be interesting to see if TLC or whomever will do off road tests between a stock '10-'13 GX and the new GX550 and see how they both compare on fairly difficult courses to see if there really is much of a practical improvement.
Its not really about the gearing in my eyes. Its more about the torque delivery. When you are producing 406-ft-lbs at 2000 rpm instead of <300 ft-lbs(as with the 1UR-FE) you can turn some large tires without the need to go gear hunting. Its not just about getting off the line. Its about being able to climb hills and accelerate without having to downshift 3 gears every time. A lot of the hills around here, my GX ends up in 4th at 3000 rpm on 33's. My 1000 lb heavier, far less aerodynamic, F150 on 35's with the crappy old 1st gen Ecoboost can cruise up the same hills at 1700 rpm.

35's will improve all of the things you are saying are not improved. Especially ground clearance, since you cannot lift the rear differential without increasing tire size or buying portal axles.

Originally Posted by TexasFunRunner

-
Spoiler

I dont think the ground clearance will be that good. The tire size increased 2"(1" in radius) but the ring gear also increased almost 1.5"(.75" radius). Ill put the ground clearance maybe at 8.5" at the rear diff.
TexasFunRunner (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 11:44 AM
TexasFunRunner
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
I dont think the ground clearance will be that good. The tire size increased 2"(1" in radius) but the ring gear also increased almost 1.5"(.75" radius). Ill put the ground clearance maybe at 8.5" at the rear diff.
I can't agree or disagree, it is a black hole of information so far from Lexus, this reveal really feels like it was rushed.

SWAG = Scientific Wild *** Guess
Sometimes you have a basis for a valid Scientific estimate.
Sometimes, lacking information, you just make a Wild *** Guess (but when you carry the guess out three decimal places, it sounds more valid.
(and yes, this is actually how many Engineering estimates are made.)
Old 06-19-23, 03:38 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have sliders and skids but I still say that dragging the belly is a bad plan, especially if you’re so hung up you need a locker to advance.

It’s not like I’m complaining about the locker anyways, it’s the poor approach and departure I find relegate this to more soft-roading than serious off-roading. High clearance bumpers will
come but only so much you can do with the big rear overhang and I’ve been told the intercoolers are mounted pretty low.

Old 06-21-23, 09:31 AM
CFAI
Advanced

I can't quite figure out what the exact size is, but the GX550 looks like its external dimensions are almost the same as the LC200! One of the main selling points of the GX460 was that it offered a similar, if not completely equal, capability SUV as the LC200/LX570 but in a more manageable foot print. I wonder if the new 4runner will be the current GX sized offering going forward.
Jtycho (06-21-23)
Old 06-21-23, 11:15 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

I can't quite figure out what the exact size is, but the GX550 looks like its external dimensions are almost the same as the LC200! One of the main selling points of the GX460 was that it offered a similar, if not completely equal, capability SUV as the LC200/LX570 but in a more manageable foot print. I wonder if the new 4runner will be the current GX sized offering going forward.
And the alleged land cruiser prado(rebadged as just land cruiser) they are supposed to be bringing here.
Old 06-21-23, 11:41 AM
CFAI
Advanced

And the alleged land cruiser prado(rebadged as just land cruiser) they are supposed to be bringing here.
I have no idea of course, but my guess is the the new LC will be similar sized as the GX550. Maybe the 4runner stays the 'small' one.
Old 06-21-23, 08:36 PM
Rommelromm
Driver

It’s pretty close in terms of how wide at the fenders it is, and length too, but the cabin is smaller because of the somewhat coke bottle profile of the cab.
Old 06-23-23, 08:22 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

I have no idea of course, but my guess is the the new LC will be similar sized as the GX550. Maybe the 4runner stays the 'small' one.
Its a prado so I doubt it, but maybe.

Everything I have heard says its not going to be the actual Land Cruiser.
Old 06-23-23, 08:29 AM
Rommelromm
Driver

I suspect the 4Runner won’t be much smaller, it would be pretty awesome if they shorten up the overhangs and keep it a bit narrower, but I doubt the chassis is any different.
Old 06-24-23, 10:51 PM
CFAI
Advanced

The new LC will be based on the New GX (so, yeah, not the LC300). Which is almost as big as the old LC200. So I was wondering if maybe they will keep the 4runner as a midsized SUV rather than supersizing that up as well.
Old 06-25-23, 02:30 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

The new LC will be based on the New GX (so, yeah, not the LC300). Which is almost as big as the old LC200. So I was wondering if maybe they will keep the 4runner as a midsized SUV rather than supersizing that up as well.
But the new GX is based on the same chassis as the LC300. The specs are virtually identical and I am pretty sure that the guy who runs GXOR and was consulted by Lexus confirmed as much

The GX is no longer based on the Prado chassis.
Old 06-25-23, 04:43 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

But the new GX is based on the same chassis as the LC300. The specs are virtually identical and I am pretty sure that the guy who runs GXOR and was consulted by Lexus confirmed as much

The GX is no longer based on the Prado chassis.

The j150 platform (GX460 & Prado) is sold as the 'Land Cruiser' in the UK and perhaps some other markets, even though the 200 was sold as the 'Land Cruiser' in other markets (US etc.). Just like the current GX, the new GX is still going to be a Prado with Lexus decor. So, like the UK, the US will get the new Prado in Toyota decor but with the Land Cruiser name instead of the Prado name (in other markets the Land Cruiser will be the j300, as it really is). As we all know, the Land Cruiser 300 is sold here as the Lexus LX600, but not as a Toyota (because the 2024 Prado will be the US Land Cruiser).

Simplified:
Land Cruiser:
j200 = Land Cruiser and LX560
j300 = LX600 and Land Cruiser (in many markets, except the US)

Prado:
j150 = GX460, Prado (outside US), Land Cruiser (in the UK and some markets, not in the US because the L200 was the Land Cruiser).
j170[?] = GX550, Prado (outside US), Land Cruiser (inside US, UK/EU etc.). Not sure the new j number the chassis is/will be called or if an all new name.

See it in this video:

So, if you live in the US and want a Prado, now you will be able to get a Toyota version in addition to the Lexus version. If You want the big Land Cruiser, you can only get it as a Lexus LX600. This is reversed from before where US buyers who wanted a Prado could only get it as a Lexus GX460/GX470 while those who wanted a Land Cruiser could get it as either a Lexus LX or a Toyota.

I would expect well informed US Land Cruiser buyers will know that they are getting the Prado instead of the Land Cruiser (j300) as sold in other countries.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion