Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's one shot of the interior.
Old 08-02-23, 01:09 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Will be interesting to see the preview of the Land Cruiser later today. If these new versions aren't as huge as I fear, then maybe I roll into the LC rather than the 550 when I finally move on from my 460 if the LC has the 4 cylinder hybrid. The gas milage on the new 550 is deal breaker for me.
Ya. The LC will be decent on gas, lighter and the hybrid
Old 08-02-23, 03:01 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus

Here is a comparison pic of the new LC. If you don't need the three rows, seems like the LC is awfully similar but with 8 speed and 4cyl Hybrid (which in some ways (milage) is better than the turbo 6).

The following 2 users liked this post by CFAI:
geckornr (08-04-23), Trexus (08-03-23)
Old 08-02-23, 06:04 PM
free888
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I prefer the GX cabin layout, but I do wish they would offer that seat color with the Overtrail Earth color.
The following users liked this post:
JermaineGX (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 06:30 AM
CFAI
Advanced

I am now team Land Cruiser for sure. Just read that Toyota is claiming 27mpg. That is an enormous difference from the GX550's abysmal 17mpg. If I am going to give up on the V8 for a more complex modern system it has to at a minimum deliver more modern fuel efficacy. The extra power is a nice to have, but tbo, I am more than happy with the 301/329 in the 4.6. Plus the interiors look pretty similar to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by CFAI:
geckornr (08-04-23), GX4602011 (08-04-23), TexasFunRunner (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 07:45 AM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I am now team Land Cruiser for sure. Just read that Toyota is claiming 27mpg. That is an enormous difference from the GX550's abysmal 17mpg. If I am going to give up on the V8 for a more complex modern system it has to at a minimum deliver more modern fuel efficacy. The extra power is a nice to have, but tbo, I am more than happy with the 301/329 in the 4.6. Plus the interiors look pretty similar to me.
This powertrain is coming to the GX as well at a later release if one can wait a bit if they want the best of both
Old 08-03-23, 09:16 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

The Toyota will also most likely run on regular gas which is an even bigger savings. Around here it's now about $1 between regular and premium.
Old 08-03-23, 09:43 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by jer
The Toyota will also most likely run on regular gas which is an even bigger savings. Around here it's now about $1 between regular and premium.
Yep - I was just noticing how much more expensive premium is now vs regular. But TBO, while the yearly cost savings is nice ($1k a year doesn't seem unreasonable) , even if I didn't save any money I would still prefer to get something that has reasonable fuel efficacy. Mile per gallon isn't linear wrt efficiency, so moving up 10mpg from 17 to 27 is huge - like a 60% increase in fuel efficiency.
Old 08-03-23, 04:44 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep - I was just noticing how much more expensive premium is now vs regular. But TBO, while the yearly cost savings is nice ($1k a year doesn't seem unreasonable) , even if I didn't save any money I would still prefer to get something that has reasonable fuel efficacy. Mile per gallon isn't linear wrt efficiency, so moving up 10mpg from 17 to 27 is huge - like a 60% increase in fuel efficiency.
I am in a similar boat. The 17mpg estimate was quite disappointing. In talking with my dealership, they expect the hybrid GX to be available a year after the release of the gas version, early 2025 or so. I expect the hybrid GX to have very comparable specs to that of the new Land Cruiser. So the more logical approach is to wait for the hybrid and go from there but I may not be able to wait that long.

So, I am thinking I can get a GX 550 (i.e. I am on a waiting list), then trade it in after 2 years or so for the hybrid. I have never done that before, I usually tend to keep cars for over 5 years so I have no idea what type of financial loss that would be, any idea?
Old 08-03-23, 09:45 PM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
I am in a similar boat. The 17mpg estimate was quite disappointing. In talking with my dealership, they expect the hybrid GX to be available a year after the release of the gas version, early 2025 or so. I expect the hybrid GX to have very comparable specs to that of the new Land Cruiser. So the more logical approach is to wait for the hybrid and go from there but I may not be able to wait that long.

So, I am thinking I can get a GX 550 (i.e. I am on a waiting list), then trade it in after 2 years or so for the hybrid. I have never done that before, I usually tend to keep cars for over 5 years so I have no idea what type of financial loss that would be, any idea?

I know it's tough but I would (and am basically) just wait for all the options to be available before making a choice.

You can look at this hybrid land cruiser as a test of sorts to see how the hybrid turbo 4-banger handles the towing, overall weight, off-roading, rigidity and all. Let Toyota iron out any issues the first year or two so they can perfect it when it gets put into the GX (which is on the same platform so it'd be very similar).

Also waiting would let the twin-turbo v6 GX iron out any issues as well; like the wastegate in certain production range of the new Tundras etc
RDLGX (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 08:42 AM
ksegg
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus

Is it me, or the interior looks kind of...........cheap? This is acceptable in a $40K vehicle, but I expected a lot more.......
The following 4 users liked this post by ksegg:
geckornr (08-04-23), RDLGX (08-04-23), signdetres (08-06-23), Vlad6525 (08-07-23)
Old 08-04-23, 08:46 AM
CFAI
Advanced

I think so and have noted in earlier posts that it looks way cheaper than an upper trim Mazda- but there are some here who have seen the interior that are suggesting that not only is it not cheapo but even better than the current GX. Hard to believe from the pix - but who knows. I am thinking maybe just keeping the GX and see about getting a CPO LC500 instead - at least that has a lux interior.
Old 08-04-23, 11:10 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ksegg
Is it me, or the interior looks kind of...........cheap? This is acceptable in a $40K vehicle, but I expected a lot more.......
It does look cheap ! There is no way this looks as good inside as my '23 GX.Wood trim, wood steering wheel etc.
geckornr (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 02:14 PM
ksegg
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I think so and have noted in earlier posts that it looks way cheaper than an upper trim Mazda- but there are some here who have seen the interior that are suggesting that not only is it not cheapo but even better than the current GX. Hard to believe from the pix - but who knows. I am thinking maybe just keeping the GX and see about getting a CPO LC500 instead - at least that has a lux interior.
​​​​​
I can attest to this. I currently have a 2023 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium and the interior is about on par with the new GX550.

For a top spec GX550 at most likely $80K+ my expectation is set MUCH higher for interior trim. It simply should not be anywhere near the same as a sub $40K vehicle.

Haha, I actually ordered a 2023 LC500 Bespoke Build (White with Orange inteior) that I gave up earlier this year because the stupid dealer wanted $10K in markups. OTD they wanted $125K for basically a $95-100K spec.

I'm not sure what dummy paid $125K for it, but I refused to do it.

Originally Posted by RDLGX
It does look cheap ! There is no way this looks as good inside as my '23 GX.Wood trim, wood steering wheel etc.
Yeah they need to bring back the high quality wood steering wheel/trim back, even if it's an option.

Last edited by ksegg; 08-04-23 at 02:17 PM.
Vlad6525 (08-07-23)
Old 08-04-23, 03:31 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks to @Trexus for the interior picture. As much as I like the exterior design of the 3GX, I just cannot get on board with that interior for $60k+ (based on pictures). I hope it's different in person, but the lack of luxury trim and detailing, and the flat dash and shapeless door panels, looks like a $40k product to me. The dual tone seats look like a $38k 4Runner SR5, not a halo Lexus product. The green or orange vinyl inserts on the doors look like a bad idea Scion had that should have been scrapped along with the brand.

Yes the 2GX interior is old, but it's also luxurious with wood trim on the door panels and around the switches, on the center console and on the steering wheel. Mixes of leather, wood and silver plastic create a much more luxurious ambiance than what I have seen on the 3GX. The new GX doesn't even seem to have real wood -- just "trim."

I do love the exterior of the new GX, but after letting it sink in for a few days, I think I would be inclined to go with the new Land Cruiser instead. I think the Toyota's interior looks nicer with better detailing and it has the Java (solid) color seating we all hoped the GX would have. I am no fan of the V35A-FTS after driving it in different applications (TURBO LAG!) and find the 1MPG improvement abysmal after 14 years. Land Cruiser will have slightly less power, sure, but 10 MPG more, a more desirable interior, and still a nice exterior design. Probably also better aftermarket support as well.

The GX's main shortcoming is the interior, and Lexus could fix that if they want to. Maybe at the refresh based on customer feedback?
The following 2 users liked this post by geckornr:
RDLGX (08-05-23), Trexus (08-07-23)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion