•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 03:57 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ksegg
​​​​​
I can attest to this. I currently have a 2023 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium and the interior is about on par with the new GX550.

For a top spec GX550 at most likely $80K+ my expectation is set MUCH higher for interior trim. It simply should not be anywhere near the same as a sub $40K vehicle.

Haha, I actually ordered a 2023 LC500 Bespoke Build (White with Orange inteior) that I gave up earlier this year because the stupid dealer wanted $10K in markups. OTD they wanted $125K for basically a $95-100K spec.

I'm not sure what dummy paid $125K for it, but I refused to do it.

Yeah they need to bring back the high quality wood steering wheel/trim back, even if it's an option.
Ha! I am cheap - I always buy CPO - so I was keeping an eye and maybe when they start getting closer to the $60k range I will pull trigger on one of those caramel interiors - I might be one of those lame folks who might not mind the 500h.
Old 08-04-23, 09:34 PM
ksegg
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
Thanks to @Trexus for the interior picture. As much as I like the exterior design of the 3GX, I just cannot get on board with that interior for $60k+ (based on pictures). I hope it's different in person, but the lack of luxury trim and detailing, and the flat dash and shapeless door panels, looks like a $40k product to me. The dual tone seats look like a $38k 4Runner SR5, not a halo Lexus product. The green or orange vinyl inserts on the doors look like a bad idea Scion had that should have been scrapped along with the brand.

Yes the 2GX interior is old, but it's also luxurious with wood trim on the door panels and around the switches, on the center console and on the steering wheel. Mixes of leather, wood and silver plastic create a much more luxurious ambiance than what I have seen on the 3GX. The new GX doesn't even seem to have real wood -- just "trim."

I do love the exterior of the new GX, but after letting it sink in for a few days, I think I would be inclined to go with the new Land Cruiser instead. I think the Toyota's interior looks nicer with better detailing and it has the Java (solid) color seating we all hoped the GX would have. I am no fan of the V35A-FTS after driving it in different applications (TURBO LAG!) and find the 1MPG improvement abysmal after 14 years. Land Cruiser will have slightly less power, sure, but 10 MPG more, a more desirable interior, and still a nice exterior design. Probably also better aftermarket support as well.

The GX's main shortcoming is the interior, and Lexus could fix that if they want to. Maybe at the refresh based on customer feedback?
It's really odd; for me personally, every time I attempt to get into a new Lexus - something makes me take a detour; LC500 - markups for Bespoke Build, GX550 - interior, IS500 - exterior and NA V8 is AWESOME, but the IS500 desperately needs the LC500's 10 speed direct shift tranny, and the interior is just a carry over and not a full redesign.

I get the feeling I'm not meant to buy a Lexus, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by ksegg:
geckornr (08-05-23), RDLGX (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 06:49 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ksegg
It's really odd; for me personally, every time I attempt to get into a new Lexus - something makes me take a detour; LC500 - markups for Bespoke Build, GX550 - interior, IS500 - exterior and NA V8 is AWESOME, but the IS500 desperately needs the LC500's 10 speed direct shift tranny, and the interior is just a carry over and not a full redesign.

I get the feeling I'm not meant to buy a Lexus, lol.
I feel the same. The '24 GX interior is just not up to par with what we have now. I felt the same way about the RX as I had a 2020, and the '23 RX just isn't the same. I was really hoping the new GX would add even more luxury, not take away. I think many or thinking it's great because of more tech etc. but looks are important too!
The following 3 users liked this post by RDLGX:
geckornr (08-05-23), ksegg (08-05-23), pacnwatx (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 07:42 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

From forums and facebook groups, I'm noticing it is mostly current GX owners who are not pleased with the interior, while it's folks who would be new to GX who think the 3GX is perfect and don't have any qualms with it.

Maybe Lexus wasn't too worried about what current owners thought? Or want to push them into an LX which is clearly much more luxurious?
The following users liked this post:
RDLGX (08-08-23)
Old 08-06-23, 05:07 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by geckornr
From forums and facebook groups, I'm noticing it is mostly current GX owners who are not pleased with the interior, while it's folks who would be new to GX who think the 3GX is perfect and don't have any qualms with it.

Maybe Lexus wasn't too worried about what current owners thought? Or want to push them into an LX which is clearly much more luxurious?
I think Lexus is trying to compete more with the off-road vehicles such as Jeep, Bronco , Land Rover etc. I think that part is great, but I think they should have made the luxury versions of the GX more of the same that we currently have, such as keeping the real wood trims, steering wheel, ac vents in the back, and then adding more instead of taking away these. They could still have the changes they have done for the Overtrail versions, while given us that want these luxury items to remain. I am also disappointed in the color choices, both interior and exterior. Other than the new sand color, the colors remain drab, with no light-colored interiors without dark trim surrounding them. I think Lexus is going to realize that they are going to loose some current GX customers if they don't change a few things for those of us that bought the GX for the ability to go anywhere with it, but also enjoy the luxury that we currently have. The push to the LX is out of reach for many of us that bought the GX as it is quite a bit more expensive. I feel if enough folks complain about it, we can perhaps have some changes at least at the mid refresh to get some luxury back in the mix. I do think the off road for those that specifically want it, this is a top vehicle for that, and I can understand the hype for it, but at the same time, they need to give the loyal customers of the GX their version too!
geckornr (08-06-23)
Old 08-06-23, 06:43 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Default Comparing a few interiors

While I like the new'24 GX 550 in many ways, I still love the interior of the '23 GX. IMO, the '23 looks the part for a luxury vehicle and the price tag. The wood trim, the doors just look so much better! The '24 GX larger screen is nice as well as the dash and updated tech. What physical buttons there are, I do like the layout of them in the'24. The two-tone seats are okay, but I prefer them to be lighter with one color. I also threw in the LC Prado interior. That actually has a seat extender for the driver seat. That would be nice in the GX550! The physical buttons are nice in the LC Prado. I like the round vents and the trim at the glove compartment as well. The rest of the LC Prado looks very plastic!

'23 GX460

'24GX550

'24LC Prado

Last edited by RDLGX; 08-06-23 at 06:50 AM.
geckornr (08-06-23)
Old 08-07-23, 08:04 AM
EricTsang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 24 really seems like such a downgrade in material choices. separate from fit and finish which im sure will be fine. it just doesn't look luxurious at all
RDLGX (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 12:43 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

The ‘24 looks much better and improved to me both inside and out.
The older model looks like a stack of old tech. Does it have a cassette deck?

Trexus (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 03:04 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickL
The ‘24 looks much better and improved to me both inside and out.
The older model looks like a stack of old tech. Does it have a cassette deck?

Except of course that that 'old' sound system in your photo has much better fidelity and dynamic range than an iphone pushing Spotify to Bluetooth speakers.
Vlad6525 (08-09-23)
Old 08-07-23, 04:24 PM
NickL
Instructor

Trust me, I know what a good stereo system is.

Old 08-07-23, 04:59 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Trust me, I know what a good stereo system is.

Yep - so I see you are team GX460 .
Old 08-07-23, 05:24 PM
NickL
Instructor

Lol. Nope. Going to wait for GX550 to hit dealer to check it out. I had a chance to test drive the LX600 a couple days ago and I’m in love. But I want to wait for the GX550 to at least see it first.
RDLGX (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 06:12 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Lol. Nope. Going to wait for GX550 to hit dealer to check it out. I had a chance to test drive the LX600 a couple days ago and I’m in love. But I want to wait for the GX550 to at least see it first.
I work in tech. Last thing I want is to look at a screen when driving. Regardless of the backend systems, I want the human/auto interface to be analog/mechanical. Cars for me are more like furniture - physicality and durability/robustness is what is important to me - it shouldn't be perishable. 'Newness' as an attribute has near zero value to me, and new tech by it nature wants to be perishable.
If you have the cash, I would think get the LX, it will be WAY more lux than this new GX.
The following 3 users liked this post by CFAI:
geckornr (08-09-23), pacnwatx (08-07-23), RDLGX (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 07:41 PM
NickL
Instructor

I actually really like the look of the new GX550 and like the new interior of it based on the pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickL:
hpolanco665 (08-14-23), jphcbpa (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 02:46 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I work in tech. Last thing I want is to look at a screen when driving. Regardless of the backend systems, I want the human/auto interface to be analog/mechanical. Cars for me are more like furniture - physicality and durability/robustness is what is important to me - it shouldn't be perishable. 'Newness' as an attribute has near zero value to me, and new tech by it nature wants to be perishable.
If you have the cash, I would think get the LX, it will be WAY more lux than this new GX.
I think that’s how they need to differentiate between the Lx and the new GX. Remember, the LC250/GX550 is now more LC300/LX than the prado it was previously based off of. Same TTv6 (either underrated on paper or detuned), basically the same dimensions, same frame. I’d even go on a limb and say it looks better than the LX. They can’t offer the same luxury otherwise why would anyone purchase the LX? Higher NVH in the GX, lack luxury trimmings (no real wood, all fake as indicated)…..those will probably be some of the things that separate out the two models.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion