GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 04:55 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree......the interior is not Lexus looking at all. Much cheaper looking than the current GX
Old 10-17-23, 05:05 AM
GX550FANBOY
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RDLGX
I agree......the interior is not Lexus looking at all. Much cheaper looking than the current GX
if you see some of the videos of the saddle brown interior it looks luxury, especially the stitching over the center controls area. Imo it might look a tad less than the current but that doesn’t matter much when it looks 5x better from the outside. Plus when you look at who it’s competition is in this class, defender (terrible reliability and lots of plastic on the interior), bronco (literally all plastic), wrangler ( all plastic) it’s one of the most luxurious depending on ur preference for the defender or not. Which isn’t body on frame. I think people are just being nitpicky. The current gx460 in black doesn’t look that luxurious and has a lot of plastics
The following users liked this post:
jphcbpa (10-17-23)
Old 10-17-23, 06:20 PM
free888
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It’s a shame the saddle isn’t available in the Overtrail. I’d love it with the Earth exterior.
Old 10-17-23, 06:47 PM
GX550FANBOY
Rookie

Originally Posted by free888
It’s a shame the saddle isn’t available in the Overtrail. I’d love it with the Earth exterior.
dude same bro, that would be my dream
Old 10-18-23, 05:51 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by free888
I think the chateau would look good on earth as well.
Old 10-19-23, 11:05 AM
460offroad
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts
Default What's Lexus trying to tell you about the GX550?

What is Lexus trying to tell the masses about the GX550?

Slprciv (10-19-23)
Old 10-19-23, 11:50 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Now that I live in TX and see what people like/buy, I think many buyers of the GX460 (NOT everyone, but many) wanted something like the RX but also something that is basically a truck underneath - so trucky and somewhat lux, but not to off road it per se. They love trucks down here as daily drivers. I think I would argue that the new GX is less off roady than the GX460 but it is for sure a much much better tow vehicle. The longer wheel base, more powerful powertrain and built in hitch, and still a BOF all make it a way better tower. Sure there is one trim that has a rear locker and the E-KDSS, but none of the other trims (which will be the majority) with have either. So it many ways the GX550 will be worse (or at least no better) off roading for a vast majority of units.
Old 10-22-23, 08:13 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Now that I live in TX and see what people like/buy, I think many buyers of the GX460 (NOT everyone, but many) wanted something like the RX but also something that is basically a truck underneath - so trucky and somewhat lux, but not to off road it per se. They love trucks down here as daily drivers. I think I would argue that the new GX is less off roady than the GX460 but it is for sure a much much better tow vehicle. The longer wheel base, more powerful powertrain and built in hitch, and still a BOF all make it a way better tower. Sure there is one trim that has a rear locker and the E-KDSS, but none of the other trims (which will be the majority) with have either. So it many ways the GX550 will be worse (or at least no better) off roading for a vast majority of units.
Its not like the current GX is good offroad bone stock. The awful front end, running boards and all season tires pretty much rule out any decent offroading.
Slprciv (10-22-23)
Old 10-23-23, 06:36 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
Its not like the current GX is good offroad bone stock. The awful front end, running boards and all season tires pretty much rule out any decent offroading.
Perhaps, but one can argue that the GX550 is not really any better. In fact, the 2010-2013 models have way better approach/departure angles than any trims of the GX550 and all of the GX460 have KDSS. But even if you want to argue that the base GX550 is as easy to get as offroad worthy as the GX460, that isn't where the new model is leaps and bounds better. The main structural improvements in the GX550, that you can't easily mod the GX460 if at all, is in the towing capacity. There is just no way you can get a GX460 to tow 8,000lbs. With the greater power and wheel base (and built in trailer brake option) the new GX will be a much more capable, stable tow vehicle. Just think about it - GX470's and 460 are out on the trails now, what is the share of all trails that the new stock GX550 base/Lux trims can go on that the GX460 or even 470 can not with out simple mods (32' tires), then consider the Overland. Maybe 5% if any. But it is easy at a glance to see how the new GX is way more capable towing.
Edit: In other words, if off road capability out of dealership was really the main thing they didn't have to redesign the truck. They could have just kept the truck exaclty the same, but just slap on new plastic bumpers with angles similar the what they first used in the '10-13' (or even better something like the prado) and offered an offroad option with 32' off road tires and running board delete (or stick on rock rails). And if they really wanted to, they could prob pretty easily add and offer rear locker since they already have that for the UK LC version and prado.
But of course the tech would still be bad, and it would still not be a great tow vehicle. I mean of course, from Toyotas perspective they wouldn't want to do that, since internally they need to take advantage of scale and harmonize their platforms, and I totally get that, but that doesn't mean to the end consumer it makes it a better off roader. I am not saying that the GX460 is way better and that no one should want the GX550. I just honestly don't see how it is fundamentally a way better platform to use day tripping in the trials.

Last edited by CFAI; 10-23-23 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 09:35 AM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 10-24-23, 06:26 PM
GX550FANBOY
Rookie

Pearl White luxury+ looking perfect 😍 saddle brown interior for the win

jphcbpa (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 03:39 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GX550FANBOY

https://youtu.be/8odcXMG2dDo?si=oXqmhba24KKS-zwD
It seems the GX is available for physical review in TX. Is this at Toyota HQ? If so, can someone verify the width with mirrors? I've seen both where width is 84 in with and without mirrors. Looks like they don't stick out any further than the fender wells. TIA.
E3PO (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 06:19 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by jer
It seems the GX is available for physical review in TX. Is this at Toyota HQ? If so, can someone verify the width with mirrors? I've seen both where width is 84 in with and without mirrors. Looks like they don't stick out any further than the fender wells. TIA.
That video was taken in Vegas a few weeks ago.
Old 10-25-23, 06:22 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Originally Posted by GX550FANBOY

https://youtu.be/8odcXMG2dDo?si=oXqmhba24KKS-zwD
nice to see the retractable running boards and a luxury + trim level. Seems we have been seeing so much of the overtrail trims recently. Hopefully now that the TX has been launched and is being sold we will start seeing more push / details about the GX from Lexus.
Old 10-25-23, 12:04 PM
GX550FANBOY
Rookie

Originally Posted by jphcbpa
nice to see the retractable running boards and a luxury + trim level. Seems we have been seeing so much of the overtrail trims recently. Hopefully now that the TX has been launched and is being sold we will start seeing more push / details about the GX from Lexus.
man I really hope so, I thought we would know pricing by now tbh

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion