GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20 | 03:30 PM
obadea
Intermediate

If this article is true, looks like 2023.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/02/18/ne...undra-details/
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20 | 04:51 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

I'll pick up the last Gen2 rolling off the assembly line and keep it for 25 years
The following 2 users liked this post by PhillipT:
ASE (02-19-20), nuclearn8 (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20 | 07:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Yikes 3 model years on this current refresh. They better pile on that lexus cash, cause its gonna be interesting journey. SUV EVs are coming in droves..
Old 02-19-20 | 09:45 AM
ASE
Pole Position

I just hope Toyota does not bastardize the brand by going down the Jeep path of offering "Pretend Off-Road Vehicles" ... the Wrangler being the exception (but with crappy quality and reliability).
Old 02-19-20 | 05:46 PM
Material
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I've used Apple Carplay before, while it's nice to have, I don't understand why it's a deal breaker for soooo many people. I guess different strokes for different folks.

After owning my GX for 3 months, I think it's almost perfect. The only 2 things I wish it had are: (1) slightly smoother ride for 2nd and 3rd row, (2) slightly more storage room behind the 3rd row seats. That's all, really.
Thats exactly how I feel. I really like it just like it is. I’m very well satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by Material:
hadokenuh (02-19-20), PhillipT (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20 | 11:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Material
Thats exactly how I feel. I really like it just like it is. I’m very well satisfied.
To each his own for sure.

Its just funny that we have threads like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...m-upgrade.html

Wouldnt it be just easier if maybe, just maybe we had Lexus upgrade that headunit with Carplay and Android Auto? Lifelong updated navigation and infotaiment straight from your phone right in that enform screen even 25 years after the date of mfg in tahara. Instead we wait on the sidelines unlike the MY20 4R folks who at least have the option.
Old 02-20-20 | 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
The twin turbo V6 is likely the next power plant for the Tundra and LC200/ LX (along with a hybrid option) so I doubt the GX gets the same.

It won't be hard to beat the current powertrain performance in hp/tq numbers with any number of powertrains already in the Lexus lineup... i can see a NA V6 mated to a 10 speed tranny in the GX's future.

It'd like to see the next GX get some (more) aluminum or composite body panels to significantly lighten the vehicle to improve mpg while they're at the redesign, but that's not likely considering the Japan manufacturing element is in lock step with the steel industry which they are invested heavily in near Tahara.
NA V6 will be reserved for lower end models like the RX. Plus does anyone really want the 3.5 V6 pulling a 5300lb house on wheels when people complain the current V8 is barely adequate?
Old 02-20-20 | 07:55 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
To each his own for sure.

Its just funny that we have threads like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...m-upgrade.html

Wouldnt it be just easier if maybe, just maybe we had Lexus upgrade that headunit with Carplay and Android Auto? Lifelong updated navigation and infotaiment straight from your phone right in that enform screen even 25 years after the date of mfg in tahara. Instead we wait on the sidelines unlike the MY20 4R folks who at least have the option.
Yeah don't get me wrong. Any improvement made to the GX infotainment is definitely welcome. It's just that it's not a deal breaker for me and for some.

I am in my mid 30s, into technology, a software engineer and work in the software industry.
Old 02-20-20 | 11:50 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
I just hope Toyota does not bastardize the brand by going down the Jeep path of offering "Pretend Off-Road Vehicles" ... the Wrangler being the exception (but with crappy quality and reliability).
Too late

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...ff-road-model/
Old 02-20-20 | 01:24 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Well as long as they arent calling it the next GX, they can fake their way to off road oblivion with the RAV4 all they want.
Old 03-01-20 | 06:05 AM
ATCRich
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if Lexus/Toyota will ever offer a Carplay upgrade that can be installed on current vintage GX's?
Old 03-01-20 | 07:10 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ATCRich
I wonder if Lexus/Toyota will ever offer a Carplay upgrade that can be installed on current vintage GX's?
The one thing I always respected about the German automakers ... they focus on function, so for years refused to offer cupholders given cars are for driving without the need for such distractions.

Fast forward to the current tech-crazed consumer. While connectivity is a nice addition to a solid underlying vehicle, my fear is that car makers have displaced function as secondary to such "must have" distractions to the driving experience as voiced (prioritized) by the consumer.

Last edited by ASE; 03-01-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-01-20 | 07:32 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Yeah don't get me wrong. Any improvement made to the GX infotainment is definitely welcome. It's just that it's not a deal breaker for me and for some.

I am in my mid 30s, into technology, a software engineer and work in the software industry.
Great perspective ... function over connectivity ... nice to hear from a software engineer. I would rather have a vehicle that gets me from Point-A to Point-B in a commanding way versus software enhancements ... while entertaining ... offer nothing (really) other than distraction.
Old 03-01-20 | 08:50 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I`d look to see if the MY21 has Android auto or Carplay If not then you can bet its not coming till the next iteration which is quite a distant way out. I say this since, the MY20 4R gets a new compatible unit

Its sad that the headunit is a dead end. I`d love to explore ways to integrate say an alpine unit or any quality double din unit, but without the aftermarket adding in a module to handle the Lexus vehicle functions....no bueno
Old 03-25-20 | 02:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Quite a few videos and reports of the leaked Lexus/Toyota roadmap the last few days

Here is one

Facebook Post

Some of what we have already heard with new GX in 2023 but have heard some chatter that GX could be a badge engineered 4R or discontinued altogether. All just wild speculation. Also rumor future 4R could be made in US.

The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (03-25-20)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion