GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 05:49 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanie
TFL released a video comparing the GX460 and the GX550. What I found most notable is their claim that just recently, an even higher towing figure was announced; that being 9,063 pounds.

I was already impressed by the 8,000 pound towing capacity, but 9,000 pounds is even more enticing. Has anyone else seen this increase anywhere?

Here's the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVOqhxnbB0

18:40 is the time stamp.
The increase is currently only in the Lexus US website:
https://pressroom.lexus.com/a-new-le...2024-lexus-gx/

It isn’t updated on the specifications sheet or Lexus Canada yet. At least it’s official!

I’d be interested to know what the tow rating for the Luxury+ / Executive trims are.

the video also says they they are expected at the start of Q2 in California dealerships, and are currently on a boat from Japan.

if that’s the case, I'm wagering they will hit Canadian soil in April or May at the earliest.

edit: the claims by the YouTuber aren’t in line with what others in the Reddit community claim.
https://www.reddit.com/r/LexusGX/s/bIGBrpDRnl

there are rumbles of delays due to QC, and someone claimed that it’s due to engines not being cleaned after machining. Nothing concrete, no sources, all hearsay until facts are presented.

Lexus is steadfast in their claims of “early 2024”, but who knows. They are all over the place. Towing rating changed, MPG is subject to change, certain things have yet to be finalized and many people call the GX Sightings - prototypes.

Id rather wait for a finished product and get one with the Tahara-plant full stamp of approval.

from some other YouTubers, Tahara cranks out 7-800 vehicles daily, so if they are focused on an initial batch of GXs, they may be building 2-3 dealership worth of requests daily. Obviously it’s not how that works, but I’m hoping they plant ensure that they focus on quality over quantity.

Last edited by Ihave1cat; 01-24-24 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-24-24, 07:21 PM
Slprciv
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Gas cap shows premium fuel required:

This was on YouTuber video: Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk
Old 01-24-24, 08:57 PM
calicoaster
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanie
TFL released a video comparing the GX460 and the GX550. What I found most notable is their claim that just recently, an even higher towing figure was announced; that being 9,063 pounds.

I was already impressed by the 8,000 pound towing capacity, but 9,000 pounds is even more enticing. Has anyone else seen this increase anywhere?

Here's the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVOqhxnbB0

18:40 is the time stamp.
Good video. So looks like Q2 is the date (April). I think I can hold out 3 more months. Nice to hear that they'll hit California first
Old 01-25-24, 07:55 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

The 9K tow rating is more evidence the Toyota put its engineering resources into towing improvements while the marketing budget is for promoting it as being more dedicated/capable for off road.
Old 01-25-24, 01:36 PM
nbgx550
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It'd be cool if the MPG went up miraculously as well
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (01-26-24)
Old 01-25-24, 02:49 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nbgx550
I actually doubt that now. I currently drive a RX 350h and took it into service today. They gave me an RX350 non-h. It has a 4-cyl, 275hp single turbo engine. The fuel ratings are 11.2L/100KM city. I was getting close to 12L/100 today. That’s 19.6MPG, from a laboured 4-cylinder.

The GX550 weighs nearly 600kg more, has a twin-turbo v6, and a larger displacement. Plus, with the direct and port injection, you sacrifice efficiency for reliability (lack of carbon buildup when the engine operates in port injection mode)
Then there’s the towing capacity…

Looking at the LX fuel economy, I’d say that if we see another MPG gain, we’d be lucky. Maybe a fraction of an MPG on the base or luxury trim.

I am also dreaming of getting the same fuel economy to that of my RX350h, but it’s just that - a dream.

Old 01-25-24, 03:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Anyone with a TIS subscription to confirm or deny whether an external AT air cooler is now standard or not on the 550?
Old 01-25-24, 03:17 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Keep the gas prices down. Gas mileage is negligible.

Originally Posted by nbgx550
Old 01-26-24, 06:24 PM
460offroad
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts
Default More GX550 hype... the benefits of waiting for the 2025 model GX550

More GX550 hype... the benefits of waiting for the 2025 model GX550:

Old 01-27-24, 06:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

=====

Last edited by Acrad; 01-27-24 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Slprciv (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 08:44 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

thanks for the video!
looks like one point that was said by the lead engineer is that the “engine is fundamentally the same as the LX600, but with smaller turbos”.

this may be indicative of why we have worse fuel economy and lower horsepower output. A few people were wondering if you could tune the engine to output the same power figures, I doubt that you would get an apples-to-apples if you applied the same LX600 tune here.

at least it’s good to know that they didn’t artificially detune the engine (much) to ensure that it’s not competing with the LX, but rather put smaller turbos in as a hardware limiter.

this is both ‘good and bad’ for me. Same engine as the LX600? Great! The reliability should be there! Different turbos? Not so great, that really changes things dramatically… I’m hoping that the turbos used are something that they have tested and ensured to be reliable.
Old 01-29-24, 08:40 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
thanks for the video!
looks like one point that was said by the lead engineer is that the “engine is fundamentally the same as the LX600, but with smaller turbos”.

this may be indicative of why we have worse fuel economy and lower horsepower output. A few people were wondering if you could tune the engine to output the same power figures, I doubt that you would get an apples-to-apples if you applied the same LX600 tune here.

at least it’s good to know that they didn’t artificially detune the engine (much) to ensure that it’s not competing with the LX, but rather put smaller turbos in as a hardware limiter.

this is both ‘good and bad’ for me. Same engine as the LX600? Great! The reliability should be there! Different turbos? Not so great, that really changes things dramatically… I’m hoping that the turbos used are something that they have tested and ensured to be reliable.
im guessing the software “detune” is only on paper. Curb weight of the LX is 80lbs higher, yet with the 60hp difference the LX600 is still slower than the Gx550 on paper per the specs.

All silly speculations of course, but I’m looking forward to seeing the drive reviews soon!
Old 01-30-24, 03:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 02-01-24, 08:25 AM
free888
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Had a chance to watch a bunch of reviews. Obviously the reviewers aren’t going to trash the car, but they did provide some honest feedback. Some things I picked up (especially re the OT+ as that’s what I’m interested in):

-OT is actually pretty quiet on the road. Apparently the Toyo tires were designed specifically for the GX to address this.
-While not as refined as Mercedes and BMW on road, this is to be expected since they can’t compete off road
-Visibility is excellent.
-Some wind noise at high speeds, due to boxy design.
-Interior actually coming across as more refined than I think people expected.
-Lexus still needs to work on infotainment system a bit as some things are buried in the menus.
-All of them seem to agree this a step change above the GX460, including drive comfort and engine.
-True off-roaders may actually not like this as much, because it makes off roading almost as easy as normal driving, the system is that good.

All in all, it confirms my decision to get the OT+.
The following 3 users liked this post by free888:
E3PO (02-01-24), jphcbpa (02-01-24), nbgx550 (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24, 08:47 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by free888
Had a chance to watch a bunch of reviews. Obviously the reviewers aren’t going to trash the car, but they did provide some honest feedback. Some things I picked up (especially re the OT+ as that’s what I’m interested in):

-OT is actually pretty quiet on the road. Apparently the Toyo tires were designed specifically for the GX to address this.
-While not as refined as Mercedes and BMW on road, this is to be expected since they can’t compete off road
-Visibility is excellent.
-Some wind noise at high speeds, due to boxy design.
-Interior actually coming across as more refined than I think people expected.
-Lexus still needs to work on infotainment system a bit as some things are buried in the menus.
-All of them seem to agree this a step change above the GX460, including drive comfort and engine.
-True off-roaders may actually not like this as much, because it makes off roading almost as easy as normal driving, the system is that good.

All in all, it confirms my decision to get the OT+.
Good breakdown and concur... excited for the OT+. I was on the fence for a while for Luxury + or OT + and feel I made the right decision.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion