GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 08:20 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I've never been a huge SUV guy but I think this GX looks amazing especially in that Overtrail trim. I would absolutely get one of these in a couple years.
The following users liked this post:
jphcbpa (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 07:46 AM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by chibbyy:
jphcbpa (03-13-24), Slprciv (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 08:04 AM
bamboo72
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update (take this for what it's worth) but I hit up my dealership to see if there was any news on delivery, as I am waitlisted and supposedly 7 on that waitlist. I want a black Luxury+. My dealership told me that the plant is supposed to start making the black GX's in the next 2-3 weeks. I am guessing that puts me maybe at May, if I am lucky, to get one and that's assuming it is Luxury+.

They also said they were starting to see inventory in their system but with no details.
jphcbpa (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 08:06 AM
jphcbpa
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chibbyy
He's super knowledgeable.
Old 03-16-24, 07:02 AM
chibbyy
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-16-24, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Where is the ****kkkin road test with numbers? It's basically summer 2024...

I can't stand how Lexus does this.
E3PO (03-17-24)
Old 05-10-24, 09:10 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

They had a couple of Prem+ 550's at the dealership today. I didn't drive it but I did sit in both front and back seats and gave it a good look over. It def is bigger than the 460.
I can see where some folks would really like this thing - esp if they wanted to tow. Not sure how much of a luxury SUV it is though - it is nice, but it did feel like there was a bunch of cost cutting.
1) The exposed rear window wiper mechanism on the inside of the window is a little odd - also it is for sure is going to get in the way almost every time you try to put in a heavy bag or object via the rear window opening. Easily can see the mechanism getting smashed for more than a few owners.
2) I sat in the back seat and pulled on the 'magazine' pocket on the back of the front seats. I have a video but not sure how upload, but it is so cheap. The whole front seat cover moves when you pull on the pocket like it some bunk job after market seat cover- so weak, totally cheap.
3) Rear seat arm rest - even cheaper than I thought it would be from pictures. Not long enough and feels and looks cheap.
4) Steering Wheel. At least to me, the material around wheel, while soft, feels kinda cheap. Way cheaper feel than my '07 IS250, let alone the awesome wheel in our '13 GX. The IS250 was the entry car to the entire Lexus line at that time, it is way nicer leather feel than the GX550. I know not a big deal but on the other hand, you do touch the wheel all the time.
5) Front Cup Holder. Not so much cheap, but are on the passenger side of the console. This wouldn't be a big deal, but the passenger side is slightly recessed, so it is 'difficult' to get a standard coffee cup (the one I got from the Lexus barista) in and out because from the drivers side you have to reach over and down a bit. Not the end of the world but it is a movement that drivers will make over and over and I can see it getting both annoying over time and increase odds of a spill over the console. Again, not the end of the world but something I noticed right away when I put my cup down in the holder.
6) Headliner - way cheaper feel/material than in the 460.
7) Back seat door card. I pulled a bit on the door arm rest/handle on the back seat door and I could see the arm and door card flex quite a bit. Again, not a huge deal, but very surprising and makes me wonder if everything is screwed down as well as it should - maybe there will be rattles etc down the line? I don't know but less robust than other Lexus that I have had.
8) Rear Hatch - There is a thin plastic panel/covering along the outer rim on the inside of the hatch - I don't know if this is how it is meant to be, but that panel (not sure how else to call it) had a lot of flex, and didn't seem like it was attached tightly to the hatch - but maybe that is how it should be.
I have videos of the door pocket, back seat, and hatch panel flex. If I can figure out how to post with out uploading to Youtube I will.

Other than that, I can see someone being pretty happy with it - esp if you are not coming from a 460. I don't think I would be happy with it, but that is mostly because I think it is too big for my needs and I don't really like the look of it (but that is just my take, I can see how others will like it). I also think I would be a little disappointed with the fit and finish - esp if I paid a premium for it. It feels more like a top of the line Toyota - like the last gen Avalon but not the sibling ES.
The following 4 users liked this post by CFAI:
E3PO (05-11-24), geckornr (05-14-24), jphcbpa (05-14-24), Piney1 (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 05:36 AM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wait for a little more luxury in 2025?

This is starting to be a bit concerning. Not the first commentary (written or video) about the evidence of cost savings. Silly things like the arm rest in the back and windshield wiper add up to the whole feeling of cheapness. Then there's the black on black..on more black around the cabin with very limited options opposed to the nicer elements found in its predecessor (think wood, more leather), and honestly, even in cheaper Lexus. Full disclosure: This is just my very early two cents and I have not sat or driven the car yet. Just seen it parked or in passing.
jphcbpa (05-14-24)
Old 05-11-24, 07:19 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Great points CFAI:
My updated 13 GX (since sold) was a premium with leather and nav. With 162k on it, the leather was still nearly flawless. My wife’s 17 GX with the better leather, Luxury Package, ML and such. It has 82k on it and the leather looks terrible. Simple things like the quality of the floor mat carpeting seem downgraded.

Before I got the LS460 F-Sport, I drove 4 hours to go buy a nori green 2022 GX460. Really wanted it. It was just yuck, the faux leather was not pleasing at all, no power third row and the carpeting just seemed cheaper. They really cut back in noticeable areas if one is going from one to another back-to-back.

The leather, headliner and materials in the LS460 F-Sport is top shelf, no cost savings can be seen anywhere. Granted that sold for 88k, Lexus can do better and not water the brand down.
E3PO (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 08:33 AM
yidal8
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another change is the inability to slide the 2nd row forward/back anymore. I had couple of occasions to use the 3rd row in my 23 GX. The fact that 2nd row occupants can slide forward a little, gives 3rd row occupants more legroom which is huge plus, and makes it that much more enjoyable. With that little adjustment, I had 2 adults in the 3rd row and they were very happy back there.
jphcbpa (05-14-24)
Old 05-11-24, 09:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I'm surprised that they're saying it's not powerful enough, with that amount of torque.

I'm not surprised that it gets virtually no better gas mileage than the V8 one.
Old 05-12-24, 09:30 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

+1 I agree to both.

Actual owners are more than likely to be satisfied than those who wish they had one.

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm surprised that they're saying it's not powerful enough, with that amount of torque.

I'm not surprised that it gets virtually no better gas mileage than the V8 one.
Old 05-12-24, 09:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
+1 I agree to both.

Actual owners are more than likely to be satisfied than those who wish they had one.
6.5 seconds 0-60 with 479lb/ft of torque, something isn't right there. All this complicated complex computer software crap.
Old 05-12-24, 10:54 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Here are some pictures and screen shots from my time in the GX550. I know for many this is minutia, but these are the things that struck me as being a little surprising. Not suggesting these should be deal breakers for anyone set on buying one - but I would at least go and sit in all the seats and feel around a bit to make sure the 550 will be a good fit for you.

There is almost the same amount of usable cargo space behind the third row. On the left is my GX460 with the GX460 cabin air filter box for size and on the right is the GX550 with the same box. Maybe there is an extra inch? Hard to say.

Cargo

Here are screen shots from a video where I tug on the magazine pocket in the GX550. Notice that there is no hard backing on the front seats - just the seat material. That causes the entire seat covering to move and give way when the magazine pocket is tugged on. It gives the impression/feeling (at least to me) of the front seats having a third party seat cover on them.

Here is a shot of the back seat arm rest. Notice the stitching and how the covering gathers a bit and seams are not well defined aligned

Front Seat Cup holders. I have a standard 12 oz cup I got from the Lexus barista in the one of the cup holders. The other cup holder is obscured by the plastic cover that can be rolled out over both of them. If you look you can notice that the top of the lid is just at or slightly below the edge of the center console making it a bit fiddly to pick up without accidentally pulling off the lid.

The following 4 users liked this post by CFAI:
geckornr (05-14-24), GS350Miami (05-12-24), jphcbpa (05-14-24), Piney1 (05-12-24)
Old 05-12-24, 01:11 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
6.5 seconds 0-60 with 479lb/ft of torque, something isn't right there. All this complicated complex computer software crap.
Considering the Lincoln Aviator does a 6.0 with its non-hybrid, AWD model, it does seem that there is a shortage somewhere. They are in the same price range and market segment.

A 6.5 ain’t bad but it ain’t earth shattering.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion