GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 03:42 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

After reading all of the speculations, I started to believe Lexus might kill the GX because there are other SUVs that can replace it. I mean RX has similar size of GX and if customer is looking for more space/bigger SUV they will have to move to LX.
Old 03-25-20, 03:47 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

so pretty much what that video tells me is our GX's will soon be unicorns and highly sought after in terms of those who want a V8, midsize SUV... good to know.

I'm also going to be waiting for the next gen Land Cruiser, to decide about my next vehicle purchase to replace Carol the Corolla (GX is my wife's dd), because it sounds like TMC is aiming for it to be a direct competitor to the wrangler and bronco. (I'm really interested in the new bronco)
It appears the Sequoia is going to turn in to TMC's luxury full size SUV, which makes sense (the 4Runner will get slightly larger since it's going on the same platform and likely will shift production to TX)... and falls in line with the shrinking of the LC more in line with the FJC size dimensions (considering the FJC was discontinued several years ago now and that vehicle paid homage to the FJ series land cruiser)...
Old 03-25-20, 03:52 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Based on recently nearly all refreshed styling and safety features upgrade on all the Lexus models other than GX, I am afraid the GX will not last long along with GS. Regardless what the outcome, I guess that I will keep my GX for years to come......
Old 03-25-20, 04:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

GX will be redesigned for MY23 for a very very special reason. However if your holding out for a V8-6 speed combo, i wouldnt hold my breath on that
Old 03-25-20, 07:46 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
GX will be redesigned for MY23 for a very very special reason. However if your holding out for a V8-6 speed combo, i wouldnt hold my breath on that
Looks like you are waiting for someone to ask you what is the "very special reason" you assume it is?

There will be no 3rd Gen GX and mark my word with it
Old 03-25-20, 09:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nebrou
Looks like you are waiting for someone to ask you what is the "very special reason" you assume it is?

There will be no 3rd Gen GX and mark my word with it
The numbers lead you to the answer . The answer is not that they are cancelling the GX lol
Old 03-25-20, 11:00 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
so pretty much what that video tells me is our GX's will soon be unicorns and highly sought after in terms of those who want a V8, midsize SUV... good to know.

I'm also going to be waiting for the next gen Land Cruiser, to decide about my next vehicle purchase to replace Carol the Corolla (GX is my wife's dd), because it sounds like TMC is aiming for it to be a direct competitor to the wrangler and bronco. (I'm really interested in the new bronco)
It appears the Sequoia is going to turn in to TMC's luxury full size SUV, which makes sense (the 4Runner will get slightly larger since it's going on the same platform and likely will shift production to TX)... and falls in line with the shrinking of the LC more in line with the FJC size dimensions (considering the FJC was discontinued several years ago now and that vehicle paid homage to the FJ series land cruiser)...
Don't get too excited about the new Ford Bronco ... has 1.5L and 2.0L engine options in some reports ... others mention a 2.7L V6 twin-turbo ... so no V8 option.
Old 03-26-20, 05:03 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you all mean that Lexus may no longer sell the Toyota's LC150 as a GX?

As many here know, Lexus doesn't make the GX, it IS a Toyota LC150 (AKA; Land Cruiser - UK/some EU. OR Prado - AU etc.). If the GX is dropped from the Lexus line, Toyota will continue making the LC150 (or it's successor/replacement) as it is a popular and important international market vehicle. I imagine that Lexus GX sales have little impact on the LC150 (or it's successor/replacement) production numbers, as many international customers will still want/need the LC150 (and future versions). Lexus may choose to drop the GX or use a different (already US crash tested) platform, but that platform would also have to be accepted as the next GX by customers in the other regions the GX is sold (Russia, Middle East etc.).

In my opinion, because Toyota will automatically engineer and build the next gen LC150 for world use markets, Lexus will continue to use that as their next GX.
Old 03-26-20, 12:35 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm guessing they will Lexify the next Sequoia and call it the GX.
Old 03-26-20, 12:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
I'm guessing they will Lexify the next Sequoia and call it the GX.
GX is midsize, while the sequoia is big gulp size lol. The Sequoia would ride on the same platform as the next gen Tundra if anything, and probably go head to head with say something like the expedition, armada, and suburban.

With two SUVs already in its lineup, Lexus has added a third. Why? Because Lexus dealers sell as many as they get. Named GX470, the new SUV will be positioned between the smaller, car-based RX300 and the premium LX470. Dimensionally, the GX is slightly smaller than the LX: its 109.8-inch wheelbase and 188.2-inch length are 2.4 inches and 4.3 inches shorter, respectively. The GX is also 2.4 inches narrower and slightly lower than its larger sibling. With available seating for up to eight, the GX is equipped with automatic climate control, leather seating, premium audio system with CD changer, and a memory system for the front seats, steering wheel position, and outside mirrors. Utilizing body-on-frame construction, the GX is powered by a 4.7-liter 235-horsepower V-8 that is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission and a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a center differential that splits the power 50/50 front/rear. The full complement of dynamic handling technology includes anti-lock brakes (ABS), Active TRAC (traction control), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Skid Control (VSC), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), and Adaptive Variable Suspension damping (AVS). Passive safety features include dual front and side airbags and side curtain airbags. The GX will arrive in dealerships in January 2003, with a starting price between $45,000-$50,000.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...70-auto-shows/

I`ll leave this tidbit and remember focus on the numbers...lol
Old 03-27-20, 04:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Since they are going V6 the GX 350 w/hybrid system?
Old 03-27-20, 06:58 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad
Since they are going V6 the GX 350 w/hybrid system?
Heard about the sequoia getting that system, dont know if it will make it to the GX. I`d be pleasantly surprised.

January 2003 was the First MY for the GX in the US.....
January 2023 would be the First MY for the 3rd gen....

23-03=Anniversary Edition
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 07:38 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Heard about the sequoia getting that system, dont know if it will make it to the GX. I`d be pleasantly surprised.

January 2003 was the First MY for the GX in the US.....
January 2023 would be the First MY for the 3rd gen....

23-03=Anniversary Edition
Anniversary Edition in automotive industry usually means added cosmetic touch-ups to current model and not bringing on the market all new re-designed vehicle.
Old 03-27-20, 04:28 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

GX is midsize, while the sequoia is big gulp size lol. The Sequoia would ride on the same platform as the next gen Tundra if anything, and probably go head to head with say something like the expedition, armada, and suburban.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...70-auto-shows/

I`ll leave this tidbit and remember focus on the numbers...lol
So based on the article the gx will be based on the next land cruiser and will be smaller and be more of a hardcore offroader only Lexified.
Old 07-20-20, 12:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Not GX directly but interesting that Prado production in China ended last month (6.23.2020).

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70017278.html

FAW-Toyota's Prado officially bowed out of production on June 23, 2020 with its outputs ending at 346,706 units, as it has not suited China's regulations on fuel consumption and emission.

At the same time, Sichuan FAW Toyota Motor also decided to shift the annual capacity of 45,000 units from producing the Prado 3.5L SUVs to making the Avalon vehicles.

In April 1990, Toyota added the long-wheelbase 5-door versions to the Land Cruiser 70 wagon and van, of which the wagon model was separated as the Land Cruiser Prado to compete in the market that was then dominated by the Mitsubishi Pajero.

With the second-generation model released in May 1996, the Land Cruiser Prado line steered toward a more passenger-oriented 4-wheel-drive (4WD) vehicle. The third-generation Land Cruiser Prado was released in October 2002, and was introduced into China in 2003 for local production. Then the automaker launched the fourth one in September 2009.

After China issued the Measures for the Parallel Administration of the Average Fuel Consumption and New Energy Vehicle Credits of Passenger Vehicle Enterprises (called “the Dual Credit Policy” for short) in 2017, the Prado, whose unique selling points are large displacement, powerful off-road performance, was under the threat of being discontinued due to its over 11 liters per 100km of combined fuel consumption.

According to China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), Sichuan FAW Toyota posted negative NEV credits of 105,199 points and 166,003 points in 2018 and 2019 respectively, more than that of most companies who recorded negative credits.

On the other hand, the parallel-import Prado SUVs will also disappear in the domestic market after the production was ceased. Importers are allowed to declare the parallel-import cars to customs as long as they receive the “3C Certificate”, or “CCC” (also called China CCC Certification), a mandatory product certification system with the aim protecting consumer's security through the supervision of products concerning health, hygiene, security, environment and anti-fraud. However, the premise on which the release of the “3C Certificate” is based is that the vehicles to be imported must have corresponding Chinese-spec versions on sale, according to a document issued by China's Certification and Accreditation Administration.

History of production:
https://global.toyota/en/detail/41

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion