Search this Thread

Old 09-05-24 | 06:09 AM
Jeff718
Driver School Candidate

nop, my overtrail does not have memory seats
Old 09-07-24 | 01:40 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

If you absolutly have to have the memory seat, the Lexus premium plus, or the LC Premium are the best value. The LC has the larger screen, real leather and is probably the best value overall. I would say the Over trail is the best if you need the off-road prowess and can live without the memory seat.

But the premium plus GX is a really good deal at 69, the LC premium is about 68.

​​​​​​I actually prefer the iforce 4 in the LC

Old 09-18-24 | 11:29 AM
jccisgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JermaineGX
If you absolutly have to have the memory seat, the Lexus premium plus, or the LC Premium are the best value. The LC has the larger screen, real leather and is probably the best value overall. I would say the Over trail is the best if you need the off-road prowess and can live without the memory seat.

But the premium plus GX is a really good deal at 69, the LC premium is about 68.

​​​​​​I actually prefer the iforce 4 in the LC
I agree. We are considering leasing either the GX or the LC next year. The LC definitely provides more features for the money, plus the better fuel economy, but I like the look of the GX much better. I did a side by side feature comparison between the Premium+, Overtrail and Overtrail+ trims on Lexus' site. Based on that, I've ruled out Overtrail, since we don't offroad. I like the eKDSS on the OT+, but the rest of the offroad features don't matter to me. So in my view and for our needs, eKDSS alone doesn't justify the $8000 price hike over P+. The only other advantage of OT+ is the access to add the ML sound system, but that's another $1100 on top of the $8000.

Last edited by jccisgs; 09-18-24 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-18-24 | 01:26 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jccisgs
I agree. We are considering leasing either the GX or the LC next year. The LC definitely provides more features for the money, plus the better fuel economy, but I like the look of the GX much better. I did a side by side feature comparison between the Premium+, Overtrail and Overtrail+ trims on Lexus' site. Based on that, I've ruled out Overtrail, since we don't offroad. I like the eKDSS on the OT+, but the rest of the offroad features don't matter to me. So in my view and for our needs, eKDSS alone doesn't justify the $8000 price hike over P+. The only other advantage of OT+ is the access to add the ML sound system, but that's another $1100 on top of the $8000.
In your case, the GX is cheaper than the LC, assuming the LC Premium with leather and wheel upgrade. The GX premium and premium+ is a bargain because it doesn't have the locking differential etc.
THe loaded LC is more like the OT because it has the differential and other features.
I like the LC premium for the real leather, buttons and engine. But the GX premium is such a good deal and the Lexus colors are nice.
Old 09-18-24 | 01:48 PM
jccisgs
Driver School Candidate

I built out the LC with Premium, 20" and some accessories to $70,320. Also built out a GX P+ with options and accessories and it came out to $70,360. Almost the same price. Both are made in Japan (but possibly in different plants). So for me, the GX P+ wins. I've owned multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles. There is a difference in materials and build quality between the two brands. However, come next year, the decision may come down to which model is available and the wait time.
Old 09-19-24 | 12:18 PM
JermaineGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jccisgs
I built out the LC with Premium, 20" and some accessories to $70,320. Also built out a GX P+ with options and accessories and it came out to $70,360. Almost the same price. Both are made in Japan (but possibly in different plants). So for me, the GX P+ wins. I've owned multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles. There is a difference in materials and build quality between the two brands. However, come next year, the decision may come down to which model is available and the wait time.
Ya, if you don't need the locking diff and prefer the V6, then the GX premium is a great deal. Land Cruiser has always been premium, and not a mainline Toyota product, but yes Lexus uses slightly different materials in these. The leather in the LC is a little nicer, but the details of the gx might be better. Overall, both are awesome. Can't go wrong.
Old 09-20-24 | 11:53 AM
Keirik
Rookie

So I was contacted today and informed that the exact trim and specs I was looking for is being built right now on Japan and provided the VIN.
do we have any idea when the 25s are coming out though? I'd hate to pull thr trigger (not in a rush) only.to see 25s rolling out a couple of 2-3 months later.
Old 09-24-24 | 05:57 PM
jccisgs
Driver School Candidate

I was at an event today where both a LC First Edition and a GX OT+ were on display. Both had an all-black interior. I sat inside both vehicles very briefly, since a lot of people were lining up to look at them. Honestly, I was not impressed by either. Both interiors looked ordinary and bland. At first glance, the GX's interior looked slightly more upscale, probably because of the dash design. But when I touched the dash, seats and door panels in these two cars, I couldn't tell much of a difference in the quality of materials.
There were also a 4Runner and two Tacos (TRD Pro and Trail Hunter) there. I didn't sit in them. Just by appearance, the interiors of these trucks (very similar between 4Runner and Taco) actually look more interesting than the LC's interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by jccisgs:
DanTeSlagX (09-25-24), pacnwatx (09-24-24)
Old 09-25-24 | 06:04 AM
DanTeSlagX
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
Informative supply chain thread

Aisin: transmissions, window regulators, door strikers, servo motor actuators, free wheel hubs, brake rotors, brake calipers, brake pads, braking systems, door locks, door handles, and the list goes on.

Denso: all electrical components, HV inverters, filtration systems, blower motors, HVAC systems, starters, alternators.

Toyota Gosei: weatherstripping, high pressure brake lines, dashboards, air intake tubing, rubber products.

Toyota Boshuku: seating systems, foam products, weatherstripping, and other products.

Toyota Industries: turbos, engines, engine block castings, and other products.

JTEKT: bearings, ring and pinion gears, power steering systems, and other component systems.

Aichi Steel: metal castings, forged metal parts, crankshafts, control arms, frame metals, body metals, axle shafts. Aichi Steel is the Toyota Group’s in-house metal foundry.

Hino: final assembly, axle housings, metal assemblies for light-medium duty trucks, diesel engines, and other component parts.

Then you have well known Toyota suppliers that jumped on-board to supply Toyota many, many years ago (many of them former Toyota employees whom were told “go start a company and do this for us”— mainly to skirt around post-war zaibatsu and keiretsu rules placed on them by MacArthur).

These are all independent companies whom were either formed by Toyota employees (funded by Toyota capital, of course) or companies that Toyota invested in, or companies that formed long-term supplier relations with Toyota many years ago.

Yazaki: wiring harnesses, dashboard clusters and meters, metering systems, gauges, sending units.

Aisan: throttle bodies and venturis and (antiquated), carbs and fuel pumps.

Murakami: all rear view mirrors

Koito: all lighting systems

ASMO: wiper systems, wiper motors, wiper arms, wiper fluid bottles.

ART: pistons and wrist pins

NPR (Nippon Piston Rings): Piston rings for engines.

Kojima Press Corp: heater system controls and heater boxes, air filter housings.

INOAC: rubber hoses for air intakes, plastic intake manifolds, rubber bits in the engine bay, (and if you ride bikes or motor bikes, bike tires!! IRC bike tires is INOAC Rubber Corporation).

Sumitumo: wire harness connectors

T.Rad: radiators, heater cores, intercoolers.

Tokai Rika: clocks, switches.

Hitachi Systems: air flow meters and air systems.

AGC (Asahi Glass Corporation): all glass parts.

The list goes on and on down hundreds of companies deep.

Your new Land Cruiser has well over 1000 different suppliers for every little nut, bolt, washer and everything else associated with the roughly 35,000 different parts in a modern vehicle.

All of these companies have been supported financially or engineering-wise by Toyota at some point to allow them to be independent partners whom have developed systems that allow them to do whatever they need to as long as they ascribe to design/function/cost parameters as laid out by Toyota.

The Land Cruiser/Land Cruiser Prado/LX have always been outsourced products with command and control from Toyota.

The only time Toyota brings these products in-house is when there is demand that outreaches supplier manufacturing capacity, which is a fine-line mathematical formula in and of itself….

For example; Toyota brought, in-house, 200 series manufacture to the Tahara plant in 2010 due to increase in demand and lack of production capacity at Toyota Auto Body Yoshiwara Plant.

Then they reduced and discontinued 200 series manufacturing at Toyota Tahara when Toyota Auto Body transferred 79 series Land Cruiser manufacturing from the Yoshiwara Plant to the Fujimatsu Plant and concurrently moved Toyota Coaster bus manufacture from Yoshiwara to Gifu Auto Body so then the Yoshiwara Plant was able to dedicate the entire plant (3 assembly lines) to Land Cruiser body manufacture and assembly.

Any way, this is primer to your new Land Cruiser or GX.

There are many changes happening at both production/manufacturing engineering levels at Toyota and its subsidiaries as well as all of its suppliers as the entire Toyota Production System is being revamped in real-time to the larger, global changes occurring in automobile manufacturing and use.

Below are just a couple of data points for what I saw yesterday when I spent some time underneath the new 250:

Rear axle housing: manufactured at the Hino Hamura assembly plant in Tokyo (where the truck itself is assembled):

Rear differential housing assembly: Hino Isesaki Plant (which is actually a small forging company called Rikken Forge Co): ring and pinion will always be Yutaka Seimitsu (JTEKT):

Hino is a Toyota Group company that specializes in outsource assembly and component manufacturing. They also specialize in medium-to-heavy duty trucks as well.”

Valuable post. Extremely valuable. You get extra credit. Thank you.

Japan #1🇯🇵
Old 09-27-24 | 12:20 PM
Rfa
1st Gear

Default GX 550 real time expeip

Took delivery in August after a long wait. Over the past 4 years this is my third Lexus, all purchased new in Florida. LX570, then LX600 U Lux, and now GX550 Lux +.
My observations are
1) $85K ++ suv
2)floppy hood, vibrates and is made of low gauge steel, poorly designed and built hood
3) Power falls short for an SUV of this size
4) breaker do squeak and I have less than 1500 miles on it
5) I don’t think I will be buying another Lexus. This is no competition for a Defender which I also own. More solid, better technology, and more power. I hope we don’t end up with more issues.
The following users liked this post:
Coupland (10-13-24)