GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner of GX470!! So Excited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 10:19 PM
jagsr71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner of GX470!! So Excited!!!

Hey Everyone!
Been looking for a nice GX470 for several months now and finally pulled the trigger this last week!
She's a 2003, one-owner with 113,000 with every option except for towing package (easy fix). Prior to buying, did the car fax and it came back squeaky clean with great detail to maintenance. Previous owner had all major receipts as well.

As you could very well imagine I'm very excited. The only thing that needed maintenance was the timing belt (water pump replacement too).
I scheduled it and had it done yesterday and was excited to start enjoying my new ride for this weekend. Except...
When I drove off from the dealership, I heard a squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger quarter. I also could feel that the she wasn't the smooth ride that I had already grown to love. It was jumpy, bouncy and (right away) I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach!
I returned back to the dealership and the mechanic immediately crawled underneath to take a look at it. I made sure to point out that it wasn't that way when I came in and he acknowledged that he should have checked it before dropping it back on the ground from the hoist.
He determined that the rear passenger suspension air bag was messed up. It was crooked, loose (not seated in the correct position) and deflated (unlike the driver's side).
He was a nice guy and was honest enough to take the blame while apologizing profusely. He immediately informed the parts manager to order a new part (not in stock) which should be coming in from LA on Thursday of next week.
It was near closing on Friday and the Service Manager had left already. He was adamant that he would inform him on Monday morning that it was his fault, guaranteeing me that there should be no problem.
Now here's my question: You guys are seasoned vets with this vehicle. I've so far driven the vehicle sparingly and very carefully (just twice since then) but now I'm paranoid to drive it anymore until it gets fixed.
Aside from the jerky and extremely uncomfortable drive, I'm afraid I'll mess something else up on the rear suspension if I drive it for a week (also has new front and rear shocks installed within the last 4 months).
Any insight from you guys? Advice?
Am I just being overly cautious or are things okay for now until the new bag gets installed?
Thanks!
Old 11-02-13, 10:46 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on your new GX, it sucks to hear your suspension already crapped out on you...only this time it was the fault of a mechanic.

Did you get the work done at an indy or at a Toyota / Lexus dealer? If you got it done at a Toyota / Lexus dealer make them give you a loaner. You shouldn't be driving your GX around w/ one working airbag. You can blow out a shock w/o the airbag for support and since you said you have 4 month old new shocks you do NOT want to spend money on a new rear OEM shock.
Old 11-02-13, 11:07 PM
jagsr71
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RCsGX!
That's what I kind of figured. I can use another vehicle until I take it back in next week.
I've driven it VERY gingerly (except for one bump on the freeway that was rough).
Are these shocks rather fragile to the point you think I may have damaged anything by driving it as sparingly as I have? How did it rupture the bag? Does lifting the vehicle make the bag more susceptible to damage? This is new and odd territory for me.
I've also been researching and finding out that there are springs that bypass the air bag offered by an aftermarket company (strutmaster?) and would love to know if anyone else thinks this is worthwhile. Not sure if the comfortable and luxurious ride would be sacrified.
Work was done by the Toyota dealership. Lexus dealership is 6 hours away and I figured that Toyota could easily handle doing the timing belt/water pump on the 4.7 V8. Can just one blown bag ruin the ride so badly?
It's just an atrocious ride compared to what it used to be.

Last edited by jagsr71; 11-02-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 06:14 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

congrats man she looks MINT!
Old 11-03-13, 07:05 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jagsr71
Thanks RCsGX!
That's what I kind of figured. I can use another vehicle until I take it back in next week.
I've driven it VERY gingerly (except for one bump on the freeway that was rough).
Are these shocks rather fragile to the point you think I may have damaged anything by driving it as sparingly as I have? How did it rupture the bag? Does lifting the vehicle make the bag more susceptible to damage? This is new and odd territory for me.
If your air bag is not holding any air then your shock is taking the brunt of the bumps. You had a bumpy ride because you were hitting your bump stop since you didn't have a "spring" to use as your airbag. I can compress the shocks by hand so imagine what our heavy GX will do when bottoming out over bumps. There's no airbag to slow the compression of the shock down...that's how you blow seals and end up w/ leaky / bad shocks. Hopefully you're ok but I would check the shock just in case.

I've also been researching and finding out that there are springs that bypass the air bag offered by an aftermarket company (strutmaster?) and would love to know if anyone else thinks this is worthwhile. Not sure if the comfortable and luxurious ride would be sacrified.
There's nothing great about the strutmaster kit. I've used Eibach coils before and they're rather on the firm side. They don't list the spring rate, so if you're wanting to go w/ them in the future definitely ask them what it is.

Check out ih8mud, you'll find lots of guys using aftermarket suspensions on their GX and you'll get an idea of what to use and or what not to use.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/

Work was done by the Toyota dealership. Lexus dealership is 6 hours away and I figured that Toyota could easily handle doing the timing belt/water pump on the 4.7 V8. Can just one blown bag ruin the ride so badly?
It's just an atrocious ride compared to what it used to be.
I would've made Toyota give me a loaner! In the GX shop manual and in your owners manual it says to turn the ride height to off if lifting the GX. I don't really fault them since they probably don't deal w/ a lot of GXs but still they caused it. Sound like they didn't align the air bag pins when lowering it maybe? See page 2 of the attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear air bag repair.pdf (99.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 11-03-13, 11:11 AM
jagsr71
Driver School Candidate

zeeshan66 - Thank you. It's just a little frustrating right now though.
RCsGX - That's exactly what they didn't do. The mechanic didn't check to realign the air bag pins. He told me he should have checked both bags and that's where he admitted it was his fault. Incidentally, he did tell me about always turning off the system whenever hoisting off the ground. I will definitely have them check the rear shocks for any leaks after they repair the bag. My GX470 is grounded in the driveway until I drive it back to the shop for this repair.
As for the bump stops. You're right. I crawled underneath the vehicle and it sure seems like the truck is pretty damn close to them. Makes me wonder if even that's not good for the shocks.
Thanks for the info on the strutmaster kit. I stumbled upon it and wondered what the consensus was.
Seriously. I think the best way to go (reliability and long term cost effectiveness) is to go with a quality lift. You and I must think rather similarly because I had come across some of BonnerBB's Lifted pages (and within those pages) I came across at how beautiful the Ih8mud lift looked (I even placed the pic of his GX470 on the beach onto my desktop which is pretty rare for me to do!).
I have not had the time to find out the details of ih8mud's project. I'd seriously like to replicate it with a local 4x4 shop and I'd love to find out the typical cost of it so, any helpful nudge in this direction will be extremely appreciated by anyone.
Also, thank you for the link that you provided as well. As I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is within it. I'll be reading and searching for those specifics.
Old 11-03-13, 02:47 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

[QUOTE=
I would've made Toyota give me a loaner! In the GX shop manual and in your owners manual it says to turn the ride height to off if lifting the GX. I don't really fault them since they probably don't deal w/ a lot of GXs but still they caused it. Sound like they didn't align the air bag pins when lowering it maybe? See page 2 of the attached PDF.[/QUOTE]

Should ride height be turned off every time vehicle lifted such as for oil changes?. Or Am I missing something?.
Old 11-03-13, 09:32 PM
jagsr71
Driver School Candidate

Yes. The ride height should be placed on off each time the vehicle is hoisted off the ground. This coming from a neophyte.
Old 11-04-13, 01:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by satiger
Should ride height be turned off every time vehicle lifted such as for oil changes?. Or Am I missing something?.
Yes. It says to turn it off in your owners manual and in the shop manual as well.

Old 11-04-13, 06:32 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

I had not heard the bit about turning the air suspension off before jacking, glad I did before it became an issue. The only time this would be a problem is if you let the rear tires hang from the vehicle, but if you jack from the rear diff, and jackstand under the axle, the tires won't hang, and this should not be a problem.

As for the "can I drive with a blown airbag" question, in this application the rear airbags = springs, you are essentially driving while missing a rear spring, and asking the shocks to do a job they were not designed for. I would not recommend driving this way.
Old 11-04-13, 10:01 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IanB2
I had not heard the bit about turning the air suspension off before jacking, glad I did before it became an issue. The only time this would be a problem is if you let the rear tires hang from the vehicle, but if you jack from the rear diff, and jackstand under the axle, the tires won't hang, and this should not be a problem.
I think it's more of a precaution in case your GX's engine is running while being lifted by the frame. You don't want to accidentally hit the raise / lower button as it'll put a strain on your airbags & shocks since the axle is already lowered being lifted by the frame. When I first got my GX I turned it off and left it on when lifting my GX by the frame and I didn't notice any difference when turning it off.
Old 11-04-13, 11:09 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So there is No issue if the Ignition is OFF--
Old 11-04-13, 02:12 PM
Phil676
Driver School Candidate

Very nice...she 'does' look very mint. take care of her
Old 11-04-13, 05:38 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Booyah
So there is No issue if the Ignition is OFF--
No. The height control system only works if the GX is running.