GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About ready to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 02:26 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default About ready to pull the trigger

2009 GX470 Black with 29k miles. Had my buddy at Lexus run the maintenance. Every 5k it was brought in to Lexus. Had 2 seperate issues where right front turn signal bulb went out. Also brought in for Radio cutting off while driving, but Lexus could not duplicate problem. Outside of me not fond of Black vehicles, I think this one is a real cherry for the mid $30k price tag. What should I look for when driving it. Was the rear suspension issue fixed by time 09's rolled out?
Old 01-23-14, 03:18 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Was the rear suspension issue fixed by time 09's rolled out?
Nope, still crappy / problematic suspension.
Old 01-23-14, 03:21 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

the problems with the suspension aren't really "problems" per se, but just from what happens to it with age. Air springs eventually dry out and develop cracks, and modulated shock absorbers, like any other shocks, will wear out with age. on one with that few miles though, you should be able to run it for years without seeing any issues!
Old 01-23-14, 03:25 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
the problems with the suspension aren't really "problems" per se, but just from what happens to it with age. Air springs eventually dry out and develop cracks, and modulated shock absorbers, like any other shocks, will wear out with age. on one with that few miles though, you should be able to run it for years without seeing any issues!
Tell that to the GX owners that have new suspensions parts and are still having problems. Or all of the members that have had their ride height sensors replaced and are still bottoming out. Or members that have put new OEM shocks in the back and are still bottoming out. One member here had Lexus switch almost every part and he still had bottoming out issues.

The stock suspension IS a problem new or old.
Old 01-23-14, 03:27 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

thanks for the encouragement. lmao. hey I aksed fo it
Old 01-23-14, 06:55 PM
Tech
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife bought an 04 two months ago w/ 27.5 k miles....now 31k. Minor steering wheel shimmy under heavy braking in the mountains...which I am still sorting out. Except for this, vehicle is flawless.

Vehicle has been severely tested in the mountains 3Xs at below zero degrees F w/ lots of snow & ice on the undercarriage & suspension. Elevations above 11,000 ft. The 9 year old airbags seem to be holding up just fine.

Shocks have no leaks & the electronic controls work perfectly.

Hope this feedback helps w/ your purchase decision.
Old 01-23-14, 07:16 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

^ You could have a bad caliper(s) but more than likely you need to have your rotors resurfaced if they still have enough meat on them. If not time for new rotors and pads.
Old 01-24-14, 09:28 AM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmriott
My wife bought an 04 two months ago w/ 27.5 k miles....now 31k. Minor steering wheel shimmy under heavy braking in the mountains...which I am still sorting out. Except for this, vehicle is flawless.

Vehicle has been severely tested in the mountains 3Xs at below zero degrees F w/ lots of snow & ice on the undercarriage & suspension. Elevations above 11,000 ft. The 9 year old airbags seem to be holding up just fine.

Shocks have no leaks & the electronic controls work perfectly.

Hope this feedback helps w/ your purchase decision.
Wow, 27k miles on an '04. Does the old lady you bought it from have another to sell?
Old 01-26-14, 07:41 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Can anyone run a carfax for me?
Old 01-26-14, 08:09 AM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get the VIN and register it with my Lexus and see what maintenance has been done and when. Thats what i did and its a big help. Takes out some of the mystery. Always wonder how well someone took care of it.
Old 01-26-14, 09:19 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

You're about to buy a mid-$30K SUV...pony up the dough and buy your own carfax report.

If I were you I'd spend the extra $15 and buy the unlimited carfax report option, that's what I do when looking for a vehicle. You never know if the first vehicle you're looking at is still going to be the one after you read the report.
Old 01-26-14, 10:39 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You're about to buy a mid-$30K SUV...pony up the dough and buy your own carfax report.

If I were you I'd spend the extra $15 and buy the unlimited carfax report option, that's what I do when looking for a vehicle. You never know if the first vehicle you're looking at is still going to be the one after you read the report.
Ditto

I spent nearly 150 bucks in reports before I bought our 04 GX. The last report showed a small insurance claim for a right front fender bender. It explained why the headlight on the passenger side was slightly newer looking than the driver's and also gave me some clout when I was negotiating a better price.
Having as much historical information is vital before you spend that kind of $$, imho.
Old 01-26-14, 11:40 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MichaelD86
You could get the VIN and register it with my Lexus and see what maintenance has been done and when. Thats what i did and its a big help. Takes out some of the mystery. Always wonder how well someone took care of it.
I actually did this already.
Old 01-26-14, 02:39 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a rare low mileage find and your still dicking around 3 days later? Run the CarFax and buy it already.

I don't mind the suspension on my GX, I accept it for what it is, an air spring based rear suspension, Yes, there is the occasional "bottoming out" feeling on the rare occasion I drive over a speed bump, but I have come to accept it. It's been this way as far back as I can remember (I am the original owner) and I now have 90k miles on the clock. I have replaced all 4 shocks and I still get it sometimes, but it really doesn't bother me. Otherwise, the truck drives/rides great on the highway, but let's not forget at the root it is still a truck.
Old 01-26-14, 03:28 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

seems the 2 key fobs for the rig mysteriously disappeared. Waiting to here what they are going to do about that. It is mine up to point they make a decision on key fobs. There is only a valet key available now.

Quick Reply: About ready to pull the trigger